Chicago PD Season 3 Premiere Recap

Chicago P.D. Premiere: Did a Spiraling Lindsay Come to Halstead's Rescue?

Chicago P.D.‘s Season 3 premiere on Wednesday night was close to Heaven for “Linstead” ‘shippers even as Halstead was in Hell, being held captive by some very bad guys.

Let’s recap, shall we?

The unfortunate turn of events referenced above is just what Lindsay, who’s been going down a dark path, needs to get back in the game. And it’s just what fans need to get some emotionally potent scenes that tug on the relationship heartstrings. (There’s nothing quite like a traumatic incident to bring two, estranged ex-loves back together, is there?)

Even though the former couple finds themselves on bad terms — “I don’t know who you are, but tell Lindsay she made me a better cop if you ever see her again,” Halstead says upon finding her strung-out after a night of partying — Lindsay comes back to work when she hears Jay has been taken hostage. Then as she’s offering up doctored confidential-informant files to trade for his return, a fight breaks out. Lindsay stabs one of the baddies and gets herself tossed through a glass table. Finally, she guns down the leader of the ring and almost single-handedly saves the day.

“I’m just glad it was you they sent in,” Halstead says to her once they’re safely outside. (Both of ’em look bloodied and bruised — but still so pretty!)

Afterward, Lindsay confides to Voight that she wants to keep her badge. He has some conditions though: she has to live with him, take weekly drug tests and sever all ties with her troublemaker mother.

Elsewhere, Roman expresses concern about Burzek and Burgess’ engagement. “No risk, no reward,” she replies. Then at the episode’s end, Burgess discovers a hypodermic needle in Roman’s bag. Uh-oh!

Unfortunately, technical difficulties have prevented me from presenting a fuller recap of the episode. But that doesn’t mean we can’t talk about the intense hour, which also featured Olinsky deciding to take in his secret teenage daughter, who basically just used him to get free before taking off.

Chicago P.D. fans, hit the comments with your thoughts on all the action, and don’t forget to grade the season opener via the poll below!

1. Dean says:

I really liked Eddie the inmate and hope he sticks around he’s a reminder of Voight’s prison time of what happened between him and Casey on Fire. Really loved the way Voight was being hard on Lindsay the whole episode being hesitant of her help and giving her the conditions of her job. Really looking forward to Olinsky’s other daughter and why Roman had that needle.

2. Gavin says:

I enjoy watching Chicago PD. Every actor in the show is amazing.

3. GramsIam says:

Lindsay spends weeks in alcohol and drug lifestyle. And the moment she hears about her sweetie she is sober and ready to work? I think coming in when is told works to get another cop ready-then when everyone is safe- a ride to rehab would be more realistic|

• lousydamage says:

I agree that a rehab stay would be more realistic, and Sophia Bush said in a interview that she wanted a longer arc before Lindsay was allowed back, but she is the main actress/character and the producers can’t keep her out for long. (That’s why the task force arc was so short as well.)

• prish says:

I guess my mind accepted the leap back into the force because she had done this journey, before. She was able to pick up the internal she had already developed and continue with sobriety, again, in my viewer mind’s eye. Not too much time had passed to undermine her previous sobriety work. (in our make believe world, here)

4. HeatherC says:

I thought last night’s episode was great (really intrigued by Olinsky’s daughter and why Roman had a needle in his bag) and I hope you get to see it all at some point today Vlada! =)

5. Steven says:

It’s great having the Chicago shows back.

6. Bwhit says:

I liked that it was Olinsky who called Erin and let her know about Jay. I think this is one of the few times I agree with Voight on something when it comes to Erin getting rid of Bunny. Great opener but seeing Otis and Molly’s made me miss Chicago Fire (hurry up October 13th!!!).

7. Texture612 says:

A fine first start to season three. Love the characters in this cast and the backdrop of Chicago scenery in this and other NBC shows!

8. Sean says:

I thought it was a great episode. Love this show. I am glad it is back. Looking forward to next week.

9. Gavin says:

I’ve been watching Chicago PD for a long time now. I love when they do the CPD, CFire and NYSVU cross over. Keep them coming.

10. prish says:

The husband says, “I like how Chicago PD just picked up from where it left off and did a very good job. Very proud of it, it is still a good quality show. It was a little hard to believe that she was addicted to drugs, then she just snaps out of it and goes off to fight crime. That’s tough and you need some help. Voight stuck his neck out for her.”