Scream Queens Hester Brace

Scream Queens Recap: Coney, Silenced — Plus: Meet the New Chanel

Following the “death” of Boone, an event somehow ruled a suicide, Tuesday’s Scream Queens introduced a whole mess of changes to the Wallace University campus — including two “new” suspects!

Once it was revealed that Chad Radwell basically porked every girl in Kappa Kappa Tau, Grace immediately fingered him as the Red Devil, a deranged killer who sees people as mere objects. And while it could be argued that Chad’s run-in with the R.D. in this week’s episode proves Grace wrong, it is highly suspicious that he exited the fray without a scratch; the same can’t be said for Chad’s fellow Dickie Dollar Scholar (name unimportant) who got double-maimed during the frat’s Backstreet Boys-inspired showdown.

This week’s second featured suspect was Dean Munsch, who was conveniently out of the picture when the R.D. attacked Wes and Gigi at Kappa. (She was allegedly sleeping upstairs, with her white noise machine set to “horror movie.”) But is she really the killer? And, more importantly, did anyone laugh as hard as I did at the fart noise made by Gigi’s bottle of salad dressing?

Elsewhere on campus this week…

* Hester was officially upgraded from neck-braced pledge to Chanel No. 6, sending Chanel No. 5 into a jealous rage. Her fury, coupled with the fact that she referred to Chanel No. 1 as a “bitch who deserves whatever’s coming to her” earlier in the episode, makes me even more confident about her inclusion in TVLine’s gallery of potential suspects.

* Chanel No. 3 revealed that, after a bit of sleuthing, she discovered that her biological father is actually Charles Manson. I’m not sure if that reveal is actually going to matter down the line, but I figured it was worth mentioning. Also worth mentioning: She’s totally going to hook up with Predatory Lez by the end of the season.

* Wallace University briefly got a new mascot this week — Coney the ice cream cone — though he was quickly mowed down by the Red Devil during an unfortunately hilarious murder sequence. (R.I.P., Coney. At least you trended on Twitter.)

Your thoughts on this week’s episode? Hester’s makeover? The possibility of Dean Munsch or Chad being the killer? Whatever you’re thinking, drop it in a comment below.

1. dan says:

You forgot the major reveal that we have two killers.

2. Midnight says:

The death of Boone was ruled a suicide, not the death of Chanel #2.

3. Lafurel says:

I’m of very mixed feelings about Scream Queens, but the Backstreet Boys segment was amusing. What if there’s more than 2 killers?

4. StephonJS says:

We know chad isnt the Red Devil. GiGi can kick ass and take names. I’m still thinking the Dean is suspect number 1, followed by Chanel #5

5. Dave says:

This has gotta be the dumbest show I have ever watched.

• dee123 says:

That’s kind of the point. It’s campy and fun and very much all about 80’s horror. It’s not trying to have the intellectual level of The West Wing or something.

• Joey says:

I’ve seen similar complaints about this show a lot. It’s like “I was pitched a tv show that’s basically the Scary Movie franchise as a tv series, but I’m going to expect Citizen Kane.”

• Dave says:

I never expected The West Wing or Citizen Kane. But you can be satirical or campy and still be smart. Scream Queens just isn’t.

• Lizo says:

Agreed. I expected camp – I wanted Scary Movie / Scream / Original Buffy Movie….but we got *none* of that. Scream Queens isn’t funny, campy, smart, scary, subversive or interesting.

• cej says:

Agree! I was hopeful this was going to be really fun, but it’s not. Not to me, anyway.

• Joey says:

Uhm, have you seen the Scary Movie franchise. This is easily that made for television. While it definitely does lack the sophistication of the Scream franchise, it’s definitely on par with Scary Movie.

• Magali says:

I could not agree more.

• Jake says:

I really can’t stand this show– full of hateful characters and situations that I don’t care about. I am shocked at how annoying scream queens is.

6. schu says:

So Chanel No. 3 is basically Brittany from Glee, am I right? And come to think of it, Dean Munsch and Grace’s dad are almost an odd take on Sue Sylvester and Will Schuester, or am I crazy?

7. Vida says:

I still don’t know what to make of this show, it is amusing to laugh out loud funny, but it also somehow dull. But for not making Hester a biatch just for the makeover like I was expecting and for that back street boys death scene alone, I will tune in again next week. Just maybe not live.

8. Joey says:

I have to say I’ll be disappointed when/if Gigi is killed off. She’s easily my favorite character. I don’t know if its the affection for the 90s or what, but she’s an extremely appealing character to me.

And Denise Hemphill is certainly very suspicious. I mean, who the hell doesn’t like Horsey sauce!?

9. Guy says:

I want to enjoy Scream Queens, and at times I do (the white noise machine was amusing), but the show is just trying way too hard to be edgy.
    -Writers: “Ooh, let’s have Abigail Breslin talk about being spit-roasted by two frat guys! That’ll be funny and shocking!”
    *rolls eyes*

10. Rachel says:

Is it me or is Lea Michele just playing her same character from Glee?

• Scott says:

There are a few times I’m reminded of Rachel Berry when Lea says a line a certain way, but Hester and Rachel are definitely not the same character.

• Jess says:

Nooooo. Rachel was a privileged white girl who only cared about boys and wanting to be on Broadway. Hester is a damaged privileged white girl who needs to seek mental help.

11. Lizo says:

And I’m out. This show is a mess and it’s just terrible. It’s a shame too, because the premise is awesome and would have been better executed with another show runner.

12. Red Snapper says:

I’m still loving this show. I got more of a Heathers vibe tonight but that could’ve just been the use of “Que Sera Sera”. I’m not sure if anyone can be ruled out as the killer yet. Maybe Chad since during the Backstreet Boys scene there were two Red Devils. I’m suspicious of the Dad and Munsch but they could just be hiding other secrets. I want to learn more of the Bathtub Baby mystery. I still think that Gigi and Grace’s mom are connected somehow. Gigi had that traumatic experience that keeps her stuck in the 90s, I have no such excuse for being stuck there, and Grace’s mom would’ve most likely been a KKT around that time. I am also very curious about Boone’s connection, is he the baby? I wish it was next week already.

13. Sarah_ says:

It was a funny and creepy episode especially for the poor ice cream mascot lol
    My favorite character so far is Chad..he is hilarious and the scene with him and the others guys at his sorority was the best part of the hour :)
    The two red devils was a surprise but not exactly unexpected and I think the only reason Chad didn’t die is that Bonne was one of the red devils..i think.
    Can’t wait to see more next week.

14. So you not gonna Mention CHARISMA CHARPENTER or that Keke Palmer’s character sleeps with a chainsaw under her bed??? what kind of recap was that?? Where is Michael Slezak????

15. Kris says:

Asian lesbian pledge looks like this cycle’s ANTM’s Justin.

16. Marco says:

Hm… bringing in bit characters just to kill them. Fantastic, RM. Three episodes and you’re already effing up. Wasn’t the unusually big main cast so you could have enough characters to kill every week?

17. katedfw says:

“You violated my closet vag”! Funniest line ever uttered on TV.

Chad is starting to become my favorite character. So clueless with visions of grandeur.

18. Ashley says:

did i miss a scene or did all the kappa girls just blatantly ignored chanel #1 when she mentioned that two chanels are already dead (during the introduction of chanel #6)? cause the last i remembered most of the girls thought chanel #2 is missing/in her room (not dead, maybe except grace/zayday)… help pls!!!

19. Steven says:

Did we know the character inside the Coney costume? I found that segment hilarious. But when the chainsaw went through the costume I felt sick. For some reason that death has hit me the hardest. RIP Coney.

20. Gerri says:

Boone has to be one of the Devils. That is pretty much a given. The other must be connected to the coroner to get away with the fake death. Speaking of which I can’t help but think this is almost all an elaborate hoax and none of the people are actually dead. Boone is just the one we know for sure was faked. An elaborate ruse to exact revenge on one of the girls….

• AltGirlTX says:

I’m with you. If we’re sticking to horror movie tropes and urban legends, the end could be very April Fool’s Day. Which could also explain why nobody who’s dead still has a corpse lying around in that freezer.

• JDP says:

RE: coroner- doesn’t Hester seem to have a lot of knowledge about death and managing dead bodies? I am thinking she and Boone are 1/2 siblings getting even with the Kappas… The scoliosis brace a ruse, her knowing how to help him fake his death….

21. Win says:

Okay, while I wasn’t sold on last week’s premiere, I got a kick out of some of the things this week: “meeting” Coney and his subsequent death, the “Slasher Movie” white noise setting, and the Backstreet Boys scene/call out the Red Devil(s) line. For a second, it made me a little sad when I reflected on how, in real life, something – or someone – unrelated that reminds someone of a hated person can easily become a target (z.B. bashing the red fire hydrant, red car = “probably his car” – kind of like what happens after a crazy person commits a crime and people with similar clothing or music choices to what’s publicized are ostracized). [/WTF minute] I also liked the quick nod to Heathers with another version of “Que Sera, Sera” as well as using “Tha Crossroads” for the vigil.

22. Steve says:

Last Week I wasn’t sure about Scream Queens, there was parts I enjoyed and Parts I questioned. This week was a mess. I love 70’s and 80;s horror and Casting Jamie Lee Curtis was what got me interested. However, this is a difference between fun campy satire and dumbness. There is a lot of problems. For example, why has no one simply left campus yet, or why hasn’t campus be shut down. Now I realize there’s no show if everyone just left the school, but it could be addressed in a way that makes some sense. Instead its just ignored, even AHS Murder House has an episode where they at least tried to leave. Second, this is suppose to be the best sorority on campus, yet it had only 4 members to begin with, why not have more members instead of just the pledges, it would allow for more suspects and story lines. Lastly, everything about the Boone storyline is complete nonsense and unless the coroner is the Killer, how did he even get pronounced dead, let alone have it be ruled a suicide. I hope everyone realizes one of the killers must be boone, otherwise what is the point of any of this. This show has so much potential and instead it just wants to waste its time making bulimia jokes, which is starting to feel tiresome and mean spirited instead of satirical and just week 2 people. Also, the main target of the show appears to be college kids, which is fine, expect how many college kids have to time to watch this stuff consistently .To sum it all up, this show is the love child of Glee and American Horror Story born a in 1995 sorority house bathtub, and it really wants us to love it . The thing is the show has a lot of problems it needs to work out,which I don’t think it is capable of fixing at this point.

23. N says:

My first guess was Wes was the killer and Wes managing to come out of the fight with only a scratch on is arm is suspicious, and screams that he is one of the killers right. The only reason I have my doubts is what could his connection to Boone be, because its got to be Boone who is the second Killer right. What is everyone else s thoughts and feelings bout this? Also , anyone who thinks its still Dean Munch, would they really point the finger at her this early to the point where shes questioned by police. Having just watched Scream the TV series, I kind of know the formula now for these types of shows.

24. Beckers0505 says:

Sooo still trying to process this show and how I feel watching it. One hand I really enjoy it (music, the chick who loves the 90s, Nicey Nash and the backstreet boys segment.) However, sometimes the talking makes me want to fast forward through certain scenes. Still kinda shocked the numbers are so bad!

25. James says:

So I’m wondering, are the earmuffs an inside joke about Princess Leia?

26. ffbblogks says:

It’s just been revealed there are three Red Devil killers, which makes things even more intense. I’m positive Boone is one of the killers, but anything could happen at this stage.