Alicia Alcoholism

The Good Wife May Explore Alicia's Alcoholic Tendencies in Season 7

Her name is Alicia Florrick. And it appears she is, in fact, an alcoholic.

In an interview with CBS’ Sunday Morning, Good Wife leading lady Julianna Margulies revealed that her character’s fondness for pinot noir may soon become more than just a running joke.

“I think Alicia might have a drinking problem,” the Emmy winner told Jane Pauley. “She’s lonely. And I think wine is numbing her out a little bit. And I think that’s something we might address in Season 7.”

Watch the exchange below and then hit the comments with your verdict on this potential storyline.

1. ER says:

No! This is such a great show, but I can’t think of any drama that has managed to make an alcoholism plot interesting. (Maybe Mad Men. Maybe.)

• Vlada Gelman says:

Party of Five?

• ER says:

Ah, perhaps. The first thing that came to mind was Kirsten on The OC reaching for her wine bottle, and me rolling my eyes.

• Jeri says:

I think JM is just trying to place the focus elsewhere from what everyone has on their minds. She needs to learn to share the screen without insisting on being the only focus of every scene if the show has a chance of survival. I’m still watching but not as into it as in the past, pretty wary of what may happen next.

• Pixel says:

Well, if “that” is their only chance of survival they’re dead man walking.

• cp1945 says:

I am so sick of the hating of Juliana Marguiles. She is an actress in a scripted series, playing a role. People act as if her ego is writing every episode. Just being a producer doesn’t give her blanket control of the show.

• mike says:

What a weird comment. I have been watching this show since it started and never thought she was in charge or her ego. Also since it is their 7th season, I guess your statement is proven to be quite wrong already.

2. Ted says:

The wine will be shot in a separate location and then put with Alicia in post.

3. Sam says:

If Alicia ups her drinking then yeah, maybe it could be a good issue for a short subplot. I don’t think drinking a glass or two of wine a night is necessarily alcoholism. I want to see more of her interacting with Cary and Diane, less alcoholic subplot. Especially since this likely is (should be) the final season. Side note – I think Brothers & Sisters started the TV red wine obsession. The Walker family could drink…

4. Alex says:

When you run out of ideas use an alcoholic-storyline! “Melrose place” did it all the time. So classy!

5. Jennifer Sands says:

I think it’s interesting that they are going to address the possibility of Alicia having a drinking problem. I have noticed for several seasons that she can’t seem to get through the evening without a glass of wine. Doesn’t necessarily mean she’s an alcoholic but that she’s become too dependent on her nightly Pinot noir.

6. Winter says:

Guys not everyone who enjoys a glass or 2 of wine a night is an alcoholic. Even if you use it to unwind after stressful day that does not equal alcoholic. Hell I’m having at least 2 glasses tonight.

• Xoxo says:

are you a woman because if you have at least two at night say that it is only two each night it means you meet the recommended health line for men pr. week. if you have over well…

• kentuckywoman says:

Anyone who drinks alcohol every single day has an alcohol problem. Don’t kid yourself…

7. Beckers0505 says:

I’ve always tried to give this show the benefit of the doubt. However, this is so dumb! She has a drink or two. Nothing crazy!

8. Lm says:

If they do that then I may just quit watching. Feels like they are reaching now! It was such a great show and it’s taking a very bad turn!!

9. opus says:

With the exception of Jeffrey Dean Morgan, everything I’ve heard about this season turns me off. What the heck happened to this show after the incredible season 5?

10. Andrea says:

TvLine; if I had Alicia’s life. I’d be an alcoholic too.. Now can you give us some actual spoilers regarding the plot?

11. Blurgh says:

What a cheap plot idea. All of a sudden after seven years, she’s an alcoholic because she drinks a glass of wine at the end of the day?

12. Coal says:

I think a more appropriate angle is that after 6 years the closest thing she had to a friend is Finn. Is Alicia just not likable ?

13. Pixel says:

Wondering if Diane and Cary will be just there in the form of cardboard cutouts of themselves. According to every report about the new season I don’t think writers has planned any storyline which requires their physical presence. Or acting.

14. LT says:

It’s called EMMY-bait…

15. Give me a break..... says:

Are the producers that desperate to garner support for Alicia that they are going to make her a drunk. Sounds like a pity-party to me. Not interested and really don’t care. Not going to watch anymore.

16. Stacy says:

Not every drinking problem equals what many define as alcoholism. This doesn’t mean it’s going to turn into an AA storyline. If she becomes aware she’s drinking to numb the pain, she could react by drinking less and actively engaging more. There’s a big spectrum here. She’s not drinking from dawn till dusk or binge drinking.

17. sue says:

if Alicia stays out, then this won’t be a legal series I will be interested in. Should she be against Cary it will definitely be the worst.(Tried that in suits and it didn’t work) So lets look for a way to see them work together and bring kalinda back and let the fight be with them and Bishop

• kentuckywoman says:

Kalinda isn’t coming back. But I did have a WTF? moment when, after all the trouble Alicia and Carey went to to start their own firm, they ended going back with Diane…until they ousted Alicia…which didn’t seem plausible. And actually, Alicia isn’t a very likable character. She has this “holier than thou, I’m better than you” kind of attitude…which isn’t very attractive in anyone. And why on earth isn’t she living with Peter? Why keep up this sham of a marriage, when it would seem public knowledge that the two don’t live together? She’s always been such a ball-buster when it comes to the men in her life. And she’s not even “all that”. I’d like to see her join the human race, for a change.

18. Judy says:

What about Scandal? It’s not that big of a deal. Give her a break.

19. kentuckywoman says:

I’ve been wondering if the writers realize that Alicia seems to depend on the wine waaaay too much. Anyone who was raised in a family of alcoholics, like I was, recognize the signs immediately.

The first thing Alicia does when she gets home, sometimes before she even takes off her coat, is to pour a glass of wine and take a drink. Is there even a home scene anymore where she isn’t drinking? She’s always drinking! But never quite drunk. But I think she depends on her drinking to take the edge off, to numb her loneliness, and whatever else bothers her.

What I don’t understand is how this series keeps going with a governor and first lady who live apart. In the world of politics, I don’t think that is feasible. They would live together in the governor’s mansion….but in separate suites.

Still a good show, but I lost interest a few seasons ago. I’ll watch it, but never when it airs. Of course, I never watch shows as they air anymore. I do record it, but it might be a couple of weeks or so before I’ll watch it, and then I might watch a couple episodes together. Not too much of a fan this season –