Castle Recap: 'Til Threat of Somewhat Certain Death Do Us Part

The following recap, by the very definition of the word “recap,” contains spoilers from Part 2 of the Castle Season 8 premiere.

Castle‘s season-opening Bracken-related conspiracy took the lives of five of Kate’s former D.C. colleagues, left the disgraced senator himself a bloody corpse and put numerous others in harm’s way.

But one casualty perhaps no one saw coming out of this two-parter was the relationship at the ABC series’ center, as Kate broke up with Rick in Part 2’s closing scene.

Yes, at long last, TVLine’s Blind Item from June is revealed.

Following Castle‘s West Coast airing, I posted an exclusive Q&A with showrunners Alexi Hawley and Terence Paul Winter, who explain the impetus for this “bold twist” as well as offer good reason to stay tuned in throughout the weeks ahead. Now, to recap….

STEPMOM’S THE WORD | In Part 1 of the premiere, Rick was left to wonder where Kate had run off to, and how she was injured, after lying to him about a meeting with Deputy Chief Gates. Part 2 opened with Kate and AG tech analyst Vikram Singh holed away in an abandoned property, just as Brooks and his backup team of baddies were stealthily sneaking in. Thanks to a trap set by Kate, she and Vikram got wind of the intruders and made a run for it through a basement escape route, only to wind up cornered — until shots rang out from nowhere, saving their bacon. Their savior: a woman named Rita aka Jackson’s Hunt’s wife of almost 10 years… aka Castle’s (classified!) stepmother.

When Rita asks for an account of all that has happened, we learn what was going on with Kate and Vikram parallel to the events shown during Part 1, starting with his frantic call, which she passed off to Rick as a telemarketer. Kate then met up with Vik at the theater, where the first shoot-out with Brooks’ first hit squad took place, wounding Kate. Next, they swung by the dry cleaner so Kate could sew (…and sew, and sew, and… blech, I’m dizzy) herself up, while Vik revealed that a keyword search Kate submitted during her time at the AG had finally coughed up a result, a document that had accidentally been declassified and was heavily redacted but hinted at a meeting between Bracken and a high-ranking federal official. There was also the word LOCKSAT scribbled in the margin. When Vik forwarded the odd file along, McCord and her team were snuffed within 12 hours.

BRACK IS BACK | After pinching insulin from some EMTs, Kate pays a visit to incarcerated Bracken, and even the mighty manipulator himself blanches when Kate mentions LOCKSAT. Bracken in fact not only warns Kate that she has gotten way, way, way in over her head, he’s amazed she hasn’t been killed already!

Kate tasks Vikram with using a bar’s wifi to hack into the AG database and retrieve the document that triggered this hit on Beckett, as a means to draw out the hit team that is after her. Vik narrowly escapes, while Kate follows the killers to the warehouse where she would eventually help rescue Rick. Back in the present, Rita suggests that the federal official named in the document was Bracken’s partner, someone who used CIA resources to get his and Vulcan’s drugs into the country.

A crossed-out tail number listed beside the LOCKSAT name leads Kate and Vikram (whom we have been led to wonder might be a bad guy) to an airfield, where she has a standoff with a pilot. With Alexis having also obtained the “LOCKSAT 2011DB” info (off a surveillance cam that was behind Vik at the bar), Castle and Hayley arrive on the scene just as Vikram guns down the pilot before he can shoot Beckett. Kate and Rick embrace, but it’s far from over yet.

SECRETS & LIES | Back at the 12th, Rick presses Kate about keeping secrets, about keeping him out of the loop during this crisis. She’s sorry, but while he was worried for 36 hours, she reminds, she fretted over his own vanishing for eight weeks. Rick kinda sees her point, but says the larger issue is something he is seeing in her, a reignited obsession.

Meeting up at the P.I. office, Rick, Kate, Alexis and the boys decide to draw out the hit squad. To that end, Rick plants a fake news lead at the local TV station, allowing Brooks to tail him. When Brooks and his partner arrive, RySpo emerge from the safe room to taze them. Alas, some third goon then escorts Hayley in, with a gun aimed at her head. Rick uses the gizmo built into his desk to pop out a pistol, grab it and take the gunman down. Afterward, it is discovered that Assistant AG Allison Hyde is part of the conspiracy — and is now dead, seemingly having taken her own life in a hotel room. Though Kate and Vik know better.

Afterward, Alexis says goodbye to Hayley, whose next case is in Chicago, while Kate privately meets up with Rita, who commends her on a job well done but warns that if Beckett insists on finding out who Bracken’s super-powerful partner was, she will put Rick and any other loved ones squarely in the cross hairs. Kate, though, confesses that she cannot let this go, even though, as Rita notes, any blood shed from here on in is on her hands.

As such, Rick’s jovial preparation of “breakfast for dinner” —  s’morelettes — is tempered by his sight of Kate’s packed bag.

THE GOODBYE GIRL | “I have to go…. ICastle-BreakUp-Kate have to get my head right, I have to figure some things out so that we can have a ‘happily ever after,'” she sorta explains. Rick reminds his missus, “If you have a problem, we have a problem. That’s how this works.” Kate though implores him, “I need you to trust me now, I have to do this on my own. And when it’s done, I hope you have it in your heart to take me back.”

Rick relates how Bracken taunted him with the idea that Kate’s obsession with her mother’s murder and all that orbited around it would ultimately consume her, and their marriage. “Please do not tell me that sonuvabitch knew you better than I do,” he begs. But all Kate can meet him with is another “I love you, I always will.

“Forgive me,” she asks quietly, before stepping out into the hall, her face first in tears, then washed over with resolve, while Rick is left gobsmacked by the turn of events.

Once again: I have an exclusive post mortem Q&A with the Castle bosses. Now share an opinion or two here in the Comments.

VIDEO: Castle‘s Nathan Fillion Talks Season 8
Rick & Kate: ‘Things Have to Change’

1. Just one thing says:

Welp.
    We were warned. Here and throughout the Interwebs. No one should be shocked.

• Db says:

This is truly despicable what they have done to this show. They broke up Caskett which us what this show us about and they even said so themselves which them all complete and totall Liars. This is not the show peop,e fell in love with and they gave just gone back to ending of season 3 and beginning of season 4 . I really hope that ABC does the fans a huge favor and fires hawley and winter before the cancel a end the show . It’s also clear they are headed to nit getting back together ( if they ever do) till the end of the show when they will have the great big wedding they wanted in the first place. Just 20 episodes of more BS WTWT. If ABC is merciful abc allows them to slither on their bellies to the finish line.

• Just one thing says:

The show will complete it’s full-season order, even if it airs on Saturday nights. (LOLZ) That’s just how it works this late in the game.
        But we should be grateful that Hawley and Winter wrote in that line for Beckett: “Shut up and kiss me.”
        These days, Caste doesn’t know to kiss his wife/the love of his life on his own. He likes to save room for the Holy Spirit.

• Tiffany says:

Lol a little mellow dramatic much? They’ll get back together don’t worry, it is and always will be about their love story. The show would get boring if they didn’t find new ways to mix it up!

• nothappy says:

Maybe they can find a way to mix it up without throwing previous seasons at us. Do the fans the honor of giving us something new.

@tiffany
          exactly, people relax some, these guys (all of them) aren’t stupid! just two (okay one) esp without them together is not really a “break-up” and the whole jurney is for them to find their way back-that’s what happens in real life with people who are in danger all the time. just because they are not holding each others hands people think the worst and they are getting a divorce. wow!

• Harvey says:

It’s about the storytelling also!!!! I mean they being together again is one thing, but then also nobody can really say Beckett won’t choose career again at some other point, and if Castle goes for the woman who dumped him, he would be acting so weak! Their relationship would never be the same again. Everybody knows they’ll get together again, but now nobody can say something like this won’t ever happen again, maybe if they weren’t married then this could have been reassuring that they will get together again, but they are married and the vows just meant nothing suddenly.

• Actually from what I’m seeing it’s about Rick chasing after her again after she chooses an obsession over him. Again. That’s what makes it ridiculous.

• In the interview they hint that this story arc will continue for the whole season. It’s not an episode of two they’ll be apart.

• Eleanor Green says:

Do you mean ‘melodramatic’ as in over-the-top-acting, or that the person you’re replying to is being ‘mellow dramatic’ as in not dramatic enough?

• On one hand, I’m not happy they broke up Castle & Beckett. On the other hand, part of what may have led to them losing sight of the stories, was probably their marriage. I don’t believe they lied to us, the “relationship” (not marriage) between Castle & Beckett IS still at the heart of the show. In a sense, they now have to figure out how to have a working relationship, despite their split. That can open up some new avenues for good storytelling, in my opinion. This show is NOT about Castle & Beckett getting married. It’s writer and muse working together, and the travels of their relationship along the way. To me, THIS is part of that. I’m interested to see where it goes from here.

• lkh says:

I agree. I was so ready to complain about how the two characters have been compromised, that they’d lost who they were. That Beckett had become silent, a shadow and Castle a silly goof. But I think this is the way we can, at least, get Beckett back. She needs to not compromise who she is. If she feels she’s protecting him by doing it this way, whatever. I think she’s been missing herself too. Of course, I hope they get back together, and I’m sure they will but now the old banter and give and take will return–it’s a good way to get back to about 3 seasons ago in the exchanges. Although I expect there’s an angry Castle in our future who in turn becomes a silly, goofy Castle on occasion. And probably a frustrated, aggressive Beckett is headed our way. Actually, kinda clever of the writers…
          Well done. Got to say, a little shocking at first, oh well. :) Here we go. There’s hope for #8.

• CastleBuzz says:

Exactly, lkh. Thanks for putting this so clearly. Our Beckett is back!!!

@ikh

I think that these writers got guts by doing this and yes i think that it will pay off! I didn’t see that coming at the end and was very heartborken (which sorry to say love that in a show, i was crying) but they need to find their way, a marriage is about growing and that is what they are doing. she’s protecting the love of her life and with good reason, of course Castle will not stay out o the way. that’s what made them different then any other show and I know that that will continue on. It left me hanging and now I want to watch more of oif.

• lkh says:

not to mention that I would leave anyone who would try to feed me an omelette with chocolate and marshmallow filling. gag.

@lisa

exactly! it’s the moving forward in their relationship, I was lost after they got married and remember what Beckett and Castle (not written) in the vows, they will never be boring? there’s always going to be drama and that’s what we are getting. yes they may not side by side but they will find their way!

• Harvey says:

Marriage is about growing together! I mean growing without the other after marriage, when there is not even a problem, that is just silly.

• Tom Johnston says:

For seven years people have been bitchin’ about something. Complain about how they always have the same “situation” to solve, over & over. Why can’t the writers come up with something new. Then they try something new and the same people are bitchin’ again about changes….How about the haters go watch Dancing with The Stars.Barney Fife reruns or whatever and let the Castle fans watch their show !!!!

• tv fan says:

wow you have no faith once so ever in this show, you know that they will not break up for very long, they love each other to much. give it another esp or two it’s called drama for a reason. relax.

• Beverly says:

I know Stanna married earlier this year. It was said she was leaving the show. Is this it? Is this the last We see of her? If so, How does the show survive with 1 of 2 Main Characters gone?

• Joe says:

This is just tiring and there is so much better stuff on TV that quiting it will be quite easy… The thing that is more frustrating is that it has made ever researching the show unlikely now too, knowing how unlikable Kate becomes and by extension their “relationship”… Really feel bad the hard core loyal fans got this as a reward…

• Zack M says:

I cried, even with the forewarning the impact hurt.

• taran63 says:

Agreed. And yet I’m still in shock.
      TVLine usually has some poll up for season premiers asking people to rate what they thought of the episode. I would love to see a poll for this episode to see what other people thought.
      I’d also like to see a poll of whether people plan to watch the next episode or not. I guess we will just wait for next week’s ratings to determine that.

• tv fan says:

i’m heartbroken but it’s something that was coming for months….

2. jess says:

Marlowe Please come back
    I’m begging you

3. Brad says:

So dumb knew it was coming sigh

4. Norafan82@yahoo.com says:

Well I’m done-and they just sealed this is the last year.

• Lisa says:

I’m gonna be completely honest, this is going to make me tune in more for the last season, than I may have otherwise.

They will end up together, we all know that, know I get to see how.

• Brad says:

How long nobody’s gonna want to stay long

• CastleBuzz says:

Thank you, Lisa. I agree. I also think that Kate has to go off on her own to decide what to do. She can’t do that around Castle. He’s too much of a ‘as long as I’m happy, everything’s OK’ kind of a guy. But Kate, I believe, sees a broader picture — who’s out there being groomed as the next Bracken? how long will it be before another corrupt person comes that close to the presidency? how many more people will be killed to make that happen?
        IMO Rick is concerned with one thing primarily, the safety of the people he loves. That’s true of most of us, including Kate. But Kate’s “obsession” is bigger — what’s right, what’s just, what’s true. There are some people in this world who are called upon to deal with the messes others make, the evil amongst us. Kate’s one of them. If she decides to continue to investigate, she will do so with eyes wide open, knowing what’s at stake for herself, Rick, and the others in her life. If she decides not to, she’ll understand that cost as well.
        I’m excited to see this play out in a season arc.

• John NYC says:

I disagree people think things through all the time within a relationship with people they love. The sole reason to distance herself from Rick is she agrees with Rita and is already in the process of going after her target. So she’s trying to keep him safe. The setup as elaborated in that street conversation.

Of course since their relationship is known it will do no such thing and with Rick in the dark he’s an even easier target.

• Zack M says:

I can see what you mean about Becket needing space to think. I fear that as the obsession was enough to cause the need for space why won’t it be big enough to launch her on another crusade? I wonder if shell remember that she spent how many years, 12 I think, looking at her mothers case but it was Castle’s help or interference that ultimately led to the downfall of Bracken and his cadre. I wonder how long it will take that revelation to come to light, if I’m getting my Castle history correct.

• CastleBuzz says:

I’m not saying her reasoning isn’t flawed. Just that needing space, needing to think that she can protect Rick by separating from him, needing to face this “obsession” within herself on her own, is what makes Beckett Beckett. It’s entirely within her character, good or bad, like it or not, it is who she is. Will she remember in time to avoid going down the rabbit hole? I think so. Will she be in command of her “obsession” this time? I think so. Will she realize that Rick is more important to her? Hmmmm, maybe equally important.
            I think she’s someone who has to be true to herself. Remember it was Castle himself who once told Beckett, “You don’t back down. You don’t give up. That makes you extraordinary.” She isn’t the kind of person who could leave this situation knowing that the AG woman was a patsy and not do anything about finding the real CIA mole. That would be out of character for her. It’s in the eye of the beholder whether what she does is fighting for justice or tilting at windmills.

• Matt Stone says:

I agree with you. I think Castle will investigate this too. He will do what he did in season 4. When it comes to Kate Castle will do anything to help and protect her. Not to mention that it’s a story and we all know Castle needs to know the whole story. He is obsessed about it.

@lisa

i will be here and yes it just made me want to see more and more of it, they will not be apart for to long…..they never really are. I hated when people think just cause they aren’t holding hands or in every waking (or not) second with each other they are “separated”. I thought this is the right move to grow with the characters. finding out who they are is what the show was about and still is a love story.

@CastleBuzz
          exactly, she has to know that’s who she is and I don’t understand why all the complains yes it will have it’s fall outs here but one who is a fan knows that’s part of the show. I loved it. fans complained about season 6 ended-Beckett’s character not who she was and now they are complaining again because she is! shaking head, I see people watch for many reason and that’s great. but they need to relax a little it’s only esp one!

• Harvey says:

lol! When people are together and married, they grow together! They find themselves in the marriage, they work things out together, not just leave without any reason! I mean protect him from what by just not being with him!
            And you yourself are mentioning the end of Season 6’s, then is the whole season 7, and some episodes of Season 5 and 6 which had started this downfall, and after that is this episode, so it’s not just one episode. I will be staying, as I am just addicted, can’t leave, but still it wasn’t a good move at all.

• Tiffany says:

• tv fan says:

exactly! i will still be here!

• Slayer says:

And how did that turn out when they decided to mix things up with the Season 5 finale? Season 6 finale? One of the biggest declines season to season? They make up such big deal things but downplay how they’re handled later on.

• KKB says:

Agreed. Honestly I thought their relationship story line was a little flat last year, even with the wedding fiasco. Kate seemed a little too…blah, for lack of a better word. She lost some of her feistiness. Theirs is a passionate relationship, and this will only fan the flames.

5. Sarah says:

Oh Kate, why? What a mess; we deserve better.

6. Jamie says:

I did not see that coming. At all………

7. BB says:

Are they writing Stana Katic off the show? It sure looks like it.

• Lisa says:

Katic is an executive producer this season, she actually has a ton of say in this storyline one would think.

Anyway, I don’t mind as long as they end up together.

This line did get me in the heart though, “Please do not tell me that sonuvabitch knew you better than I do,” he begs. He was right Castle, he was right. :(

• Just one thing says:

TVLine and others have reported that Katic is here for the whole season. Not sure what that means about story or screen time though.

• Tiffany says:

No, everyone has a year on their contract.

• Which of course means they’re staying the whole time because no one is ever written off a show before their contract is up. Oh wait that’s right, maybe you’ve heard of the whole McDreamy fiasco on Grey’s Anatomy, where he was signed through season 12, and was offed before the end of season 11.

• Tiffany says:

For starters I don’t watch Greys and second Stana is also a producer, I doubt she’d write herself off.

• TaMara says:

As stated before, producer is more a money title, than anything else. They have limited say over say, the actual showrunner. This was a way to insure they had better residual compensation in the years of reruns to come.

8. Luli says:

So freaking mad!!!!!!!

9. DL says:

Ugh stupid and arbitrary. Makes Kate very unlikable. I’m tempted not to watch until they get back together. And if that doesn’t happen till the end of the season I will be pissed.

• Joe says:

It makes her utterly and completely unlikable…

• Lisa says:

Kate’s always been extremely unlikable.

• jess says:

You mean unlikable for you, right?

• Lisa says:

She’s always treated the people around her badly whether through snarky comments or looks. However I always loved the fact that Castle could get through that and make her smile and fall in love with him, because he never quit.

He said it best in “After the Storm” in his “I’ve been right here!” speech. Still the single greatest scene of the series.

• CastleBuzz says:

Have to disagree with you here. I can’t recall a time when Kate’s treated people – friends, family, strangers, victims, family of victims – badly or with disrespect. The only one she’s ever been sarcastic with is Castle and that was part of their banter and relationship. She gave as good as she got.
            As for Rick’s “I’ve been right here” for four years speech, I never thought much of it. His definition of being right there was way off as far as I was concerned.

• Fred Bloggs says:

Yes, he was right there. And he thought that meant she had to love him back. It didn’t. It’s what stalkers say.

If he said it in sorrow, maybe it would be okay. He said it in anger instead, which is the action of a creep.

• Harvey says:

I think the reason he was saying it in anger was that he was angry at her saying she can’t trust him, and that he had been right with her all this time, waiting for her to see he is always there for her, the person she obviously needed.

• C says:

Speak for yourself.

• CastleBuzz says:

Those of you who think this makes Kate unlikeable: seriously? Why? Because she’s willing to consider taking on a nemesis so big it can put corrupt people in position to become president of the country? so big it can stay hidden from a top secret agent (Rita)? so big it kills five AG/FBI agents with impunity? so big it smuggles weapons, drugs, and who knows what else? That’s admirable! That’s heroic!
      But you dump on her because Rick gets his feelings hurt? Oh, please.

• Adam Tello says:

would you defend Beckett if she cheated on him? I’m just curious.

@castle buzz

i think that’s who she is and always will be, unlikeible? come on. I think people think that cause it got “ricky” pants twisted up, and that she was hurting him. she’s all unlikeible, I love her, she’s got guts like no one else!

• Harvey says:

By ricky pants twisted up, you mean leaving her husband who loved her so much without any reason and wanting everything to be perfect when she later wants it to be? Naah, that’s unlikable.

• KCC says:

What makes Beckett unlikable is her giving up on her marriage, it’s supposed to be for better or worse no matter what, isn’t it? Of course they wrote it to make her seem to be the heroic one. Sacrificing her happiness for the greater good. It’s funny that she got so upset with Castle when he withheld the information about Mr. Smith to keep her from investigating her mother’s murder for her safety. At the time she said he didn’t have the right to make that decision for her and now she’s doing the same kind of thing to him except she’s breaking the vows she took in order to “keep him safe.” So the vows should have included a disclaimer: “I will stay with you always, unless one of us becomes obsessed and has to end the relationship for the good of the other without discussion.” She’s doing it to keep Castle from harm except for the harm she’s inflicting on him. Hypocrisy is a very unlikable trait as is not being true to your word. She doesn’t have to pursue this mystery. They wrote it so she doesn’t have a choice, it’s how she’s wired. How is a NYC police captain working alone going to bring these people to justice? You’ve already pointed out how big this problem is. She has a serious Don Quixote complex and should seek professional help otherwise there is no happy ending for Castle and Beckett’s relationship. There will always be something else that she’ll feel a duty to take on. That’s what makes her an unlikable and rather sad character. She has a problem and doesn’t see it.

• Annie says:

As a Beckett fan, I found her decision in XX to be unconscionable. Knowing that Rita and others were searching for the big bad and the threat was halted, the responsible decision would be to stick to her commitment to her marriage and the job of Captain. Instead she willingly chose to but Rick, her dad, and everyone who cares about her at risk. When does she stop with her “obsession?” Why does she realize that the world is full of capable, committed crime fighters who have already taken up this threat. Her decision to jump down the rabbit hole is doing incredible to a lot of people just so Beckett can scratch her itch. Very selfish.

• John NYC says:

Perhaps in earlier drafts, or in a detail I just missed, an overt linkage was established that ultimately its this big bad that is responsible for her mother’s murder? That Bracken was simply another in a chain of tools? Putting down her mothers ultimate killer would be a tempting goal for Beckett.

@dl

they will be back before the next esp, well in some ways. I think this will be like the pi arch where they just wont be working closely like everyone seems to want them to be, I love it this way -sorry- it would be boring if they were side-by-side every 2 seconds. having them not following each step makes me see sides of them. they grow in their love for each other and i think that this is what will happen now.

10. skrable2 says:

Mindblowingly stupid direction on the part of the new show runners.

Year after year, this show has found way to break these two characters apart in the most contrived ways possible. It’s comical at this point.

The new show runners knew they’d be in for fan backlash. That just shows how manipulative they are; for when they eventually get Castle and Beckett together again — for how long, no one knows — they can say (once again) that the struggle was worth the result.

Only, by then, anyone left watching will no longer believe them

• Tiffany says:

When since they’ve gotten together have they broke up? I can’t think of a single time.

• skrable2 says:

I didn’t say “since they got together.” They’ve done this same schtik since the beginning of the series. But, since you asked, he did go missing for 2 months starting with their wedding day.

• Tammy says:

EXACTLY!!! Even if they get back together, it will NEVER be the same. He can NEVER trust her again; and we as fans can NEVER trust their love, devotion, and relationship again. (What will send her spiraling off next time even if they get back together?) She betrayed him after they are married; and she chose chasing a shadowy criminal that she didn’t even know existed until a day ago (in show time) over her marriage. I am done. They lost one of the biggest Castle fangirls ever last night. Goodbye…

@tammy

where do you get “betrayed” from? I don’t get that. and we can never trust their love, come on, you hit a rough patch and you’re ready to throw in the towel? you must not be a big fan at all.

11. leigh says:

I don’t even know what to say… Um…. I’m so confused…

12. the only way this is permanent like the blind Item implied is if the ratings suffer this gimmick to the point of the show getting canceled before they reconnect. that and we already know from the time travel episode that they end up having three kids.

13. c-mo says:

Blind item! I was hoping beyond hope that Caskett wasn’t the subject but alas… 😢😢😢

14. At the end of the day, no one can truly crack the Moonlighting theorem

15. Joe says:

So the premise of the show going forward is castle is going to work along aside his wife who dumped him, presumably to distance herself from him, like nothing happened…this show has officially jumped the shark…

16. Jerry says:

I’m really confused on how any of this makes Kate capable of being Captain. I feel like the new showrunners wanted to go in a direction that the end of last season just did not point towards

17. Nostalgic says:

Some of us did try to warn you guys! The thing is the writers are going to get all the flack when it seems perfectly obvious to me that the problem lies with two co-stars lacking the professionalism to be within spitting distance of each other!!

• Just one thing says:

People like to say “two co-stars,” like it’s obviously both of their faults. I have yet to see evidence of that.

• mskrislarsen says:

Agreed. NF signing for season 8 before season 7 even ended seems, IMO, like he is willing to be a professional.

• Just one thing says:

But I thought ABC would only sign him first because he plays the title character… #YourLogicIsFunnyThough

• CastleBuzz says:

That’s laughable. If there is any truth to these rumors, it’s due to Nathan, not Stana. Just take note of who actually acknowledges the other one’s existence in tweets and interviews.

a professional what?

• Just one thing says:

A professional calligrapher. The man has signed a bazillion things with his name on it for the last 15 years. He could probably read and sign contracts in his sleep.

:D
            I know from zillion, DD uses gadzillion and here’s you with bazillion–what universe is this? I should have paid attention in school. sigh

• I just have to say ... says:

OK, I’ve been reading all of the comments & have to ask JOT: is there some personal history that seems to make you so anti-Nate Fillion?

• lkh says:

good grief, I can hardy wait …

• Just one thing says:

“Nate” Fillion and I go way back, to a simpler time, with “Two Guys, A Girl and a Pizza Place” – which later ditched the pizza place and just became “Two Guys and a Girl.” It was a pretty traumatic time for me, because I really love pizza. So I always associate him with that loss.
            It’s complicated.

• lkh says:

ha, ha, ha Always a surprise, JOT! Eventually, the pizza phobia will pass, so to speak. Hang in there.

• CastleBuzz says:

JOT and lkh, I really think you two should do stand-up. You could be the new Abbott and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, Burns and Allen. LOL over the pizza trauma.

• lkh says:

well, dang! I thinks them folks is all ded!

• CastleBuzz says:

lkh, dead but still classic. Besides that’s why you’d be new versions.

• It’s the elephant in the room. People directing their hate at the writers are wrong. It’s pretty obvious who should be carrying the blame for this appalling mess of a show.

• RBA says:

I have to agree. The BTS rumors IMO have some merit, and what we are seeing onscreen is writers placating the lead actors.

18. Avery says:

Hate it. Absolutely hate it.

19. Just one thing says:

Such a shame. Castle is going to go down as the crowd-pleasing, cult hit – the little engine that could – that imploded upon itself like a sickly little Death Star.
    There’s so much to say about this episode, this “bold twist.” A complex storyline that requires non-fanatical viewers to reach far back in the recesses of their minds to recollect the full picture of the Beckett/Bracken drama. An unwieldy cast of more than 12 major characters tossing the story around like a hot potato.
    Yet the ending takes the cake. Rita was cool. I’d rather see more of her than Spy Daddy. But they really had her lay it on there thick, right? After establishing a bond between Beckett and Rita, they let Spy Step-Mommy lay on the molasses of this new direction.
    They could have crafted it so that Beckett had no choice but to cooperate with the investigation, so she’d be forced to leave Castle in order to protect him. But no, that’s not the route they decided to go. They wanted/needed to have Beckett DELIBERATELY choose the likely-to-be-mostly-offscreen investigation into THROWAWAY CHARACTERS THAT WE SAW IN A THREE-EPISODE ARC over Castle.
    I hope it was worth it. Actually, I’m quite certain it wasn’t. Last week’s ratings suggest a natural erosion, but they can’t possibly expect regular, non-fanatical viewers to stick around after tonight. Can they?
    Again, such a shame. More so for the legacy of the series than anything else. Those of us Negative Nellies who listened to all the warnings will either stick around or check out Blindspot. But it’s too bad Castle is going to be remembered as a trainwreck.

• Kim says:

This. All of this. Thank you. Took the words right out of my mouth.

• Luli says:

You do know that Castle rised 58% in ratings right? With L+3 they got a 1.9…. Still pretty great for an 8 year old show….

• iSk says:

Adjusted rating don’t mean a thing. Television is ad driven. Viewers can skip commercials if they dvr it, or watch it with an iTunes season pass. Live viewership is the most important thing. The rest is smoke and mirrors.

• CastleBuzz says:

JOT wrote: “They could have crafted it so that Beckett had no choice but to cooperate with the investigation, so she’d be forced to leave Castle in order to protect him. But no, that’s not the route they decided to go.”
      You’d really prefer her to have to be manipulated in order to do the right thing?
      JOT: “They wanted/needed to have Beckett DELIBERATELY choose the likely-to-be-mostly-offscreen investigation into THROWAWAY CHARACTERS THAT WE SAW IN A THREE-EPISODE ARC over Castle.”
      Five agents she worked with are hardly “throwaway characters.” And the issue is so much bigger that that. It was Kate’s action requesting info on Bracken two years before that led to their murders. No matter what Rita said about their blood not being on her hands, she’s not going to feel or think that. It’s also now clear that Bracken was not the kingpin — that as dangerous as he may have been, there’s a nemesis out there even more dangerous and powerful. Those are hardly throwaway reasons for the kind of person Kate is as we’ve been quite consistently told over seven years.

• lkh says:

JOT-you and I usually agree-you’re taking it too hard. How the hell else could they possibly get out of the nightmare that was seasons 6-7? They can reestablish the core of the characters. It’s a bit lame, but think about it–would you trust Castle to handle classified info like an adult? would you trust him to stay out of trouble? would you trust him not to drag other innocents into the mess?
      It’s a harsh step, but how else could we quickly get Beckett back–she gets to be aggressive, intelligent, no nonsense, driven by the concept of justice and maybe she’ll even get tall again :]

• CastleBuzz says:

LOL, lkh. I’m on your page.

• lkh says:

Thanks. I’m looking for the complaint dept and all I can find is this damn complaining about an ending that breaths life back into a character. Anyway, CastleBuzz I’m taking this opportunity to complain:

Q: Did he grab her arm when she was going into that room? argh, cringe, close, smack
          Q: Why is he whining to his daughter about his wife? grrrr

One last very irritating point: Beckett used to wear heels and she could look him in the eyes. Now she’s so short that when in a scene with him she has to crane her neck to make eye contact. She looks like a little kid. I guess it’s supposed to make her more vulnerable (ugh) but it’s really just another technique that minimizes the character.

I’m done. thanks.

• CastleBuzz says:

Complaint department here. Feel free to voice all concerns:

A1. He did grab her arm, pretty forcefully in fact. Argh is right.
            A2. Haven’t you heard? His daughter is his new partner in crime and in life. Grrr me too. I am trying to give this new Alexis a chance but it’s so out of no where…Grrr again.
            A3. I thought she went from heels to flats when she changed clothes at the dry cleaners, which made sense for running away but why there would be shoes at a dry cleaners I don’t know. I hope it’s not to make her look smaller, minimal, or vulnerable.

• lkh says:

she’s been shorter for 2 seasons…

• Annie says:

• Annie says:

I don’t know why my reply for above posted here.

On Beckett’s height. Stana has said in interviews that her podiatrist wants her to wear shorter heels. All those years of running in 4 inch heels apparently took their toll on her feet.

• lkh says:

Annie-makes sense, I don’t know how she ran in those all those years. But, something has to be adjusted-he’s a tall guy.

• CastleBuzz says:

Haven’t noticed this height thing. I know from photos SK still wears super tall heels when attending events, but haven’t noticed what shoes she wears onscreen as Kate unless the camera focuses on it. I’m just not a shoe person. Besides to me Stana’s Kate has such presence, she seems taller than everyone around her, including Rick unless they’re embracing.

• lkh says:

Forgive me for pointing this out, ’cause you’re really going to notice it now.

• Just one thing says:

For the record, I’ve tried to reply to your comments, CastleBuzz and lkh, since last night, but TVLine gremlins say, “No dice.” (Which also happens to mean “You don’t say” in Spanish.)

lo siento

Was it pithy?

I know you’re upset, don’t know if it’s the cheap way out of the Beckett character mess or just that you think it’s a hit on the character, or a bit of both–but, what else could turn it around so quickly? The Beckett character was going, going, almost gone. Castle was on the way to a mess too (actually he’s always been a bit of a mess). They might have found a better way, but this works too, even tho the fans are struggling with it.

Everyone has an idea of how a marriage should work. Castle has continually pressured her into believing in his ‘traditional’ style–most of the fans do too. In a perfect world, this would be something everyone could step right into. The Beckett character can’t-she tried and lost herself. Did Castle want to change her so much that she disappeared? And why in the world would she EVER share secret or classified information with him-he’s a loose cannon. She already had to rescue him when she was deep into this. It happens repeatedly. I generally don’t pay much attention to Alexis, but she’s right-he’s a writer, not trained like Beckett is. I’m glad she’s back–I know it’s painful–but he needs to accept her as much as she needs to accept him–everyone jumped and said she’s to blame because of her ‘obsession’. Well, she came with that baggage–this is not a quick fix or maybe never a fix. (I refer you back to all the ‘phobia’ people from last week–they say they can’t get over the arachnophobia thing, can you get over a deep, ingrained obsession like hers? Evidently, that’s supposed to be easy) Others need to adjust too. If he loves her so much, why do only his rules apply? Why did she have to walk? Was that totally on her, or did she know he would be uncontrollable? Maybe he needs to accept her, at least that she wants to keep parts of her work life quiet.
          It might be thin, but I was so depressed in seasons 6 and 7 at what they had done to her character and to a lesser extend to his. If this works, I’ll be happy to eat the non sequitur at the end.

• Just one thing says:

I feel you, lkh. I guess I just thought they could be married AND Beckett could retain her dignity. Or something. I don’t know, maybe that’s nonsense.

• lkh says:

JOT-she is married, dignity-I’m not sure that’s at issue, maybe. Self might be the real issue. Anyway, you know they’ll be fooling around soon. Sneaky kids!

• Harvey says:

Well she never exactly shared her problems so how exactly could he have known at the first place! In the first season, Castle had looked into her mother’s case after she had told him not to, and when he came to know she was real sad about that, in season 2 he had even said when Beckett came to him that he can do anything she wants, even stay away. So overall, all Beckett needs to do is tell him what she feels, but she isn’t strong enough to even do that.
            And by what it seems you think dignity or being badass is, then no, she can’t be that and be a good wife.

• CastleBuzz says:

No problem, JOT. I too had problems last night only to find that all my attempts to post what was essentially the same message finally worked so there I am repeating myself ad nauseum. Feast or famine, I guess. Actually, I don’t think this place is set up for such a heavy load of comments. Castle fans, myself included, are a loquacious bunch.
          Like lkh, I too am sorry you’ve been hit hard by this turn of events. Also like lkh, I believe this is going to turn out well for the characters, the story, and the fans. Hope you find some nuggets to enjoy in the meantime.

• lkh says:

When that happens, I just figure ‘lkh’ is part of spam…

20. taran63 says:

Well, whoever likes this version of the show is welcome to it. If it improves the overall ratings, then more power to them. Personally I don’t like it, so I’m done watching until this craziness is over. There are plenty of Castle reruns on TNT, and if this break never gets resolved, then last season’s finale will work for me as a series finale.

• TilTheWheelsComeOff says:

I have to agree with you.. Season 7 finale can be my series finale too. It’s not even the whole caskett drama which to me was a hit to the show now that they wanted to revamp- and it seems they are making the characters go back to season 3 finale and the beginning of season 4.. Where she just hid herself away for 3 months after getting shot… In all the interviews the show runners have said their love story is the DNA of the show.. And I just can’t seem to see it in this episode– especially after their vows in season 7 and the finale’s speech… I think they are going to play this whole thing out of them being on a break.. And not many ppl will stick around to see how it works out.. I wouldn’t be able to work alongside my husband if he just decided to up and leave (even if he thought he was protecting me).. It just doesn’t make sense… Just horrible!

• tv fan says:

@til the wheels come off

i think that it will be back before you know it. i think that it will be like the pi acrh two esp at the max, I can’t wait for it.you guys have to give it a shot, one esp and you done come on, you got through the season 6 ending alright and i think this one we will too. I loved it it drew me farther into the show. i want to know the impact! everyone is way to quick to judge nowadays. wow!

• caskett2014 says:

I don’t think it’s a question of giving up so fast on the contray. There was Veritas and than the “episode that won’t be named “. Lol..and the fans were asked to trust in the new arc and direction of the show. S7 was mediocre some good shows some so-so. Best thing about were wedding vows and some.of the pics. I think the problem is the fans have “trusted” and continue to be let down. Think the Castle writers are great but now they are asking fans who have watched the development of these characters over the past 7 seasons go from “growing ” to regressing”. Change is good and introducing challenges to a relationship makes it stronger -think tptb could have done it better. What good will these “new sparks to the relationship mean if most of the fans are not around to watch. You can only dip into that well of WT/WT only so much….b4 fans say never mind and move on

21. ndixit says:

Well, I’m done! Not only was this a mind numbingly stupid plot point to break up Castle and Beckett but it also permanently tarnished Kate in my eyes. She is a moron! The writers must have been high when writing this nonsense!

22. Lauren says:

Character development wise, this is a huge step back for Beckett. It suggests that all of the growth she made as a detective and in her relationship doesn’t exist. What would’ve been “shocking” would’ve been for Beckett to choose Rick and let the obsession go.

23. Honestly, at this point I hope that when Beckett comes crawling back Castle slams the door in her face. Because that’s the only plot that would make any sense to me.

• CastleBuzz says:

I don’t see her “crawling back.” In my imagination, she strides through the door and says “Take me as I am or it’s goodbye. No more little wifefy like last season.” LOL

24. Laura says:

Don´t watch next week . Lets send a clear message to the writers.

25. DoneDoneAndDone says:

Officially…..we’re done. And a Neilsen family. So very sad how our once favorite show is just…..well no words can express the disappointment.

26. D Cohen says:

Why can’t the writers, producers, etc of this show believe we want to see these 2 together and happy. I watch tv to relax. I don’t need more angst in my life. I think I may be done with this one – I can’t take this bs anymore.

• James D says:

You Said it. I work my tail off all day TV is my one outlet to come home from a hard day drink a cold beer and wind down. Why would anyone think that it would be enjoyable to pull this bs unless the writers are sadist.

27. Kim says:

I’m just going to post this one comment saying that I’m with all of you who say that this was a monumentally stupid decision on the part of Hawley and Winter. I didn’t think they’d be that stupid, but apparently I gave them too much credit. The ratings are definitely going to take a hit after this mess. Like someone on Twitter asked, “Is this how they’re going to bring back the spark in their relationship? By separating them?” I jist can’t with this. Way to ruin all of the progression in one scene. I’m not sure I’ll be sticking around for the rest of the season. I just feel insulted.

@kim

wow! one esp and you guys are giving up on them, not true fans here! you know they will not be separated (broke up what ever you want to call it) long (that would be stupid). i think that it will be like the pi arch last year, give it time to start before you judge. who says they really were, the ending said nothing……a cliff hanger in my eyes. I want to see where this goes. I think that this is the kick in the a## the show needs, it test their real love for each other and Castle is not just going to let her walk away you know that by now!

28. Alyse says:

I knew they were going to be the blind item

• Angela says:

Yeah, I was expecting them to be the answer, too. Seemed lots of people agreed with us as well, judging from all the responses in the comment section for that article!
      But that said, I honestly feel really, really bad for this show’s fans right now. Seriously. This particular comment section should get quite…interesting…as the night wears on.

29. Rachel says:

This wont be good for the show at all! I mean, it’s the stupidest decision ever. Why did they feel this will be good, it is not! is going back. I’m so pissed. They should have ended the show after last season. This show needs Marlowe ASAP!

@rachel

no we don’t he would have them, way apart. I think you and a lot of fans need to relax a little. to me this told me they are jump started the show. I think they will be stronger. yes it was heartbreaking, but who says they were really separated? so she walked out the door….it was cliff hanger, did Castle (and we know that he will) follow her anyway? makes we want to come back. I don’t see why she (the actress) would sign on if she knew this would happen-remember she had that last season! she would n’t be that stupid I wouldn’t think!

30. RBA says:

Kudos to Ausiello on the great scoop, and to all Castle fans who were in denial all summer there is your Blind Item…

31. James D says:

Oh Castle i was in your corner fighting your fight and this is how you do me. I mean what the actual Frak was that. We where warned so I guess thanks is in order for Aus and Co for preparing us, pretty sure if you’d hadn’t some heads would of exploded. So this is supposed to bring new life into the show um ok? seems like the same old regurgitated stuff this show has been spewing for awhile they just finally took it to it’s natural conclusion. I mean I’m stuck here I want to remain loyal to this show but they are making it very difficult. Wish there was an emoji capable of capturing my disappointment i guess this will have to do :( :(-

32. Coco says:

Well I’m done with Castle. I know they will get back together eventually but for me they can’t fix what they just did, they ruined this relationship. They actually managed to make me dislike all the characters in one episode, Castle, Beckett, Alexis … I honestly can’t believe they actually break them up, I know it’s just a tv show but I really feel betrayed.

@coco

who’s to say they really did? it ended with them walking away. did he go after her, we know that he will and wow! everyone just giving up after one esp. you guys have no faith at all do you, and you call yourself fans……

33. Leanne says:

Shark jumping of the worst kind. Show killer for me. I’m done.

Making Kate out to be such a – I don’t even know the word! Why is it always her fault? All the fandom will hate her and side with Castle. I hate this.

• Just one thing says:

“All the fandom will hate her and side with Castle…”
      Already happening. Which a high school fangirl on Tumblr could’ve predicted, so they had to know it was coming.
      Then again… Perhaps this another way to bring Beckett down a peg. But, look! No Marlowe in sight to blame. Hmm. Hm. Hm.

• CastleBuzz says:

All the fandom will NOT hate her. I don’t. I support her decision, whether it’s to distance herself from Rick so she can think the situation through or to con the bad guys into thinking they’ve separated so as to keep Rick safe. Perhaps one needs bit of maturity to see that.

• ndixit says:

I love how deluded you are. Its wonderful to watch. I bet you are frantic right now given how openly hate the character is going to become. I love the idea of how separating from a guy she is still married to is going to keep him safe and how lying to him is going to keep him safe. I’m sure you have a lovely logic to that particular decision.

• Joe says:

By separating you mean walking out on their marriage, but not actually divorcing and continuing to work several feet from in the police station just shot up by assassins??? Well thought out…

@joe

wow! you guys are amazing, you already jumping them to the divorce line. wow! then you don’t know these character at all then!

• Harvey says:

The real beckett, I think you mean the one before the character development! I mean seriously, what exactly do you mean by the real beckett? I mean, she married the guy! This makes it look that she never can think anything through, she married him knowing the danger she can possess, but she didn’t care then, and now she does and just leaves him, that is not real Beckett! I mean, she shouldn’t be a leader, a captain, a friend, anything if she just has to be alone to think things through. She is a wife, that doesn’t make her any less badass or anything.

• Tammy says:

I hate her. She freaking chose to chase a shadowy here-to-as-yet-unknown criminal over her marriage. Unforgivable. Period.

@castlebuzz

i don’t guess there are too many of us, I loved the show…..and yes i would do the same thing in her shoes if it came to the people that I love to keep them safe. I think that she got more guts, then ever before and I love her more for it. most people would just give up and take the easy way out but not Kate Beckett oh no! And we know that Castle would never leave her not this way, he will have to fight for her but that’s how he has always done.

• Harvey says:

They havent always been married!! And he didn’t do anything, why the hell should he go after the person who was at fault and left him!!!
          Another thing, guts, hahaha! She had no reason to leave, especially as Castle is still not safe, only in more danger if anything. Yeah you could do that sure, but logical people would rather stay and protect than leave to be killed off.

• Annie says:

As Rita said, the way to keep Castle safe was for Beckett to go to work as a Captain, live her life with Castle, and let Rita’s unnamed three letter agency handle the investigation, i.e., act like a professional rather than a selfish child.

• Ginni says:

Well said. I honestly don’t see how leaving him and pursuing this obsession, keeps Castle safe. The big baddie isn’t an idiot. If Beckett goes after him, he will look at how to get to her, and it will be clear that she still cares about Castle. He will still be in harm’s way, plus he will be heartbroken that she left him. Nice job, Kate. Stupid move writers! Or Castle will piece together what she is doing, get involved, and again be in danger. She could have told him what she was doing and they could have pretended to break up to throw off the bad guys, or she could have realized that she wasn’t the only person in the world who could solve this case and stay committed to her marriage and new post as captain. This is lazy, contrived, manipulative writing that makes Beckett look selfish and illogical.This isn’t just breaking up while dating or an on again off again relationship. They are married. It is wrong for her to just leave him. And I don’t buy the idea that this was the best way to bring back sparks. Happily married couples solving crime can be entertaining! I loved Hart to Hart and Remington Steel as a kid! I”m done for now. Maybe I’ll come back if they get back together, but I think Kate should have to work to prove to Castle that he can trust her not to run off again if something comes up that she deems more important than her commitment to their marriage.

• CastleBuzz says:

Yep, tvfan, there aren’t too many of us supporting the new showrunners decisions. We’ll need to stick together.:)
          As for others, I’ll try to get my point across one more time:
          IMO Beckett believes, in her heart and mind, that by ‘leaving’ Rick, it will allow him to continue on as though the case of the CIA mole is done — the deputy AG “took” responsibility for that when she committed “suicide” — and this attitude will keep him from investigating further and therefore “safe.” By ‘leaving’ Rick, she thinks, she can keep him in the dark about what she’s going to do. If he finds out she’s investigating the case, she knows he’ll investigate too, and he would find out if she stays with him. I also think Beckett believes she’ll be able to investigate the agents’ murders and the CIA mole secretly, perhaps with Vikram’s help, thus minimizing the danger to herself as well. In her mind, identifying and bringing down this latest threat is the only way to make them all safe, for always.
          Kate may be wrong in believing she can keep Rick safe, but her action is in keeping with her character. She’s the cop, she’s the protector, she’s the crusader for justice. Is she obsessed? I’d say passionate. But that’s just semantics. She may be wrong to take on identifying the bigger-than-Bracken nemesis, but she’s not capable of looking the other way. (Who’s to say the danger isn’t there even if she does. McCord and her team got taken out just for seeing the memo.) Kate also may be wrong in thinking she can protect Rick by leaving him, but there should be no doubt in any fan’s mind that she sincerely believes that is the case.
          As for poor, little, ole’ Rick, come on, give the man his due. He’s a grown-a** man, as Espo called himself. He can manage this. Ultimately, he’s in love with Kate and more to the point, understands her, sometimes better than she understands herself. He’ll go after her b/c he needs her, wants her, loves her. And Kate ultimately loves him and her life with him. All will be well in the Castleverse….eventually….until the next crisis. I love it!

34. Sam says:

As a fan, I’m disappointed. I understand new leadership wanting to take the show in their own direction, but this is an insult to longtime fans. Hoping it has nothing to do with either Nathan and/or Stana wanting a reduced work load – in my opinion the only acceptable explanation.

@sam

am I not watching the same show? how is this an insult, i don’t get it? it’s a bump in the road and it seems that everyone is all hating everyone? why? they’re not even giving it a chance, one esp and the hate returns, come on guys…..true fans don’t do that…..yes you’re pissed but you know, (if you watched the show at all) that this will not last.

• Harvey says:

Not about lasting, but that it will be so stupid when they get together. How could Beckett be trusted to not do this again!

• Sam says:

@tvfan – they spent seven seasons playing the will they / won’t they game. The writers had them go through so many things and brought them close and pulled them apart. They finally got married, and now that they are actually married and should be together, the new showrunners come up with a contrived random plot to pull them back apart. It’s absurd and just horrible to long-time fans. It is very clear AH and TPW were not happy with how last season ended, and they are trying to basically start over, at the detriment to long-time fans.

35. So this entire season will be based around the fact that Nathan and Stana don’t want to work together? The lack of professionalism surrounding boat loads of money (the honorary “producer” credit) never ceases to astound me.

@caroline

wow! the jumping we do! one wrong move and people are pointing to not being professionals, wow! I don’t think it has to do with them at all. I think it was the writers who wanted to kick the show in the a## and that’s what they did, i think that it will get better….one esp and everyone has got their panties in a wad! wow!

36. mskrislarsen says:

WARNING: PERSONAL OPINIONS AHEAD … While I don’t know this for a fact, I suspect that these changes (Beckett to captain, breaking up Rick & Kate) were the only way the show could get Stana Katic to sign for this season. Rumors have swirled for years that NF & SK do not get along IRL (notice the dearth of footage of the 2 doing an interview together, like most costars do) and changing the dynamic of the show may just be a way to decrease the amount of time the actors have to spend together. NF signed for season 8 before season 7 ended and, again I suspect, SK realized that she had the upper hand in contract negotiations.

That all being said, I’m sad to see Kate leave Rick. It’s too bad the character couldn’t be strong enough to get past her obsessive tendencies and just be happy with her life.

• Just one thing says:

When people paint their theories of NF/SK drama as if SK is the instigator, I chortle. I truly chortle.

• mskrislarsen says:

Well, until there is proof one way or the other, chortle away.

• ndixit says:

Well, I remember she wished Nathan a happy bday on twitter last year. That indicates she is at least cordial with him.

• John NYC says:

Or some one with access to her account.

• Just one thing says:

Someone with access to Katic’s account found a quirky photo and wished Fillion a happy birthday. Without her knowledge, consent or contribution…
            That’s a lot of effort to give the illusion of cordiality.

• John NYC says:

Extra effort? That’s the sign of a good staff. And anyone who thinks staff don’t run a lot of celebrity social media efforts is just cute as a bunny. So that’s always a possibility

• Just one thing says:

I didn’t say I didn’t think celebrity’s have PR run their social media. In fact, I’m fairly certain she did a while back. They always signed the end of their tweets (like Kerry Washington’s “KW crew” a while back).
            Starting a couple years ago that PR practice has changed, and I’m certain most TV actors manage their own accounts.

• CastleBuzz says:

So do I, JOT. To me it’s so clear even onscreen. Nathan’s like deadweight in their onscreen relationship, capable of screwing up his face to show concern, fear or love, and that’s about it. So, I join you in chortling.

37. 1) they didn’t break up ,she clearly goes against the “demons” and she just asks for castle to wait
    2) if this is the last season then we just witness the beginning of a season arc that will end definitely with a bang
    3) am i the only one who saw a backdoor story arc with castle’s daughter? or a potential season 9 (and final season ) with father /daughter adventures (kai stana as “pregnant”sitting back)
    4) in the end they did 8 seasons and this is an awesome job for a series that started as a mid replacement and i had awesome fun , if this is final season (and everything looks like that ) i wish abc say that so every fan of the show comes back for the final episodes

cheers and I WANT THAT PI OFFICE!!!

• leigh says:

I think you may be the only one, yes.

And the logical side of me understands why they did what they did but my head is hurting trying to figure this all out. 😞

• Tiffany says:

Thank you! I felt like I was the only one here not losing their mind over this “breakup”! I’m glad they are trying to keep things mixed up and interesting for us and I’m excited for the season!

• CastleBuzz says:

I’m with you, fatako, on 1, 2 and 4 (you can have the new office, I’ll take the old one. On 3, I saw it too and it’s the only thing at this point I’m dreading. The scenes with Alexis fall flat. It was one thing when she was younger and helped define who Rick was for Kate as well as for us, but now….It’s a mistake to make her super PI right off the bat. I mean, she thinks of the mirror’s reflection of the computer screen? Isn’t Hayley supposed to be the seasoned investigator with police training? It’s ludicrous and Molly Quinn doesn’t help with poor acting and looking like she’s wearing a businesswoman’s clothes.

• Carla Krae says:

It’s not a break-up – exactly! No one’s talking about divorce. No one’s saying they stopped loving each other. Kate just has to go do this. and if anyone actually watched the PROMO for next week that aired right after the ep, Castle is not giving up! He’s going to help Kate to the bitter end, even if it kills them.

@carla krae

very true i was worried and then saw that he wasn’t giving up at least without a fight. and we know how that can end-him getting onto lots of trouble……sounds fun to me. yes i was heartbroken for now anyway, but i will continue to watch it and one esp is not going to let me walk away from them-not after all the shows i watched of them-

• kath says:

I don’t think it will kill them but it may kill my love for the show.
        I understand wanting to reboot in season 8 but this move made Beckett stupid and I don’t want to see Castle prancing around her like an eager puppy dog when she’s just metaphorically kicked him to the curb the TV stupidest reason.

@fatako

exactly my point they didn’t break-up she told him to wait…..if you just wanted to leave him she would have never said that to him, that would just be more insulting to him. i don’t get where people are saying the divorce is coming. all we saw was her going to get rid of demons to get her ever lasting with him. why say that then get a divorce? I think that this is the new arc and fans need to get over it. it will not last as long as we think, and how can we not trust her again? I don’t get that either. I guess i was not all the way into these characters as most are. and for last season or not it will go out with a bang. it’s only the first okay second esp, relax people.

38. ndixit says:

Its really quite odd how someone could think that people will like Kate at all after this ep. There wasn’t even a good reason given. And I can’t see how any of their friends would support Kate in this decision. And at this point, if Rick would take her back, it would make him the most spineless person in the world.

• Just one thing says:

Perhaps they don’t care if people like Kate Beckett after tonight’s ep. Maybe that’s not a priority anymore.

• ndixit says:

I find it difficult to believe that Stana felt that this storyline was a storyline for growth for Kate. Didn’t she say something along those lines when she re-signed her contract? Its like the ultimate character regression.

• Kim says:

I don’t get it either. Unless she equates growth with being a badass. In which case I get it. Because when she finally takes this guy down, it will be badass. I’m just wondering how many viewers will still be watching when it happens.

• Just one thing says:

Who knows? Stana Katic hasn’t given an interview since the day before she started back up filming. By her own account on Twitter, she didn’t read the pilot script until months after re-signing.
          Do people really think she’s got any sort of authority to change the series’ trajectory? And has past behavior suggested she’s the type who’d try?

• ndixit says:

She said that she had talked with the new showrunners about the trajectory of Kate’s character this season and she wanted to return only if there was some progression for the character. If this what she calls progression then I’d hate to know what she calls regression. This was the art of character assassination.

• Just one thing says:

Well, maybe if Katic does an interview some time – perhaps when the show and network are done promoting the Wonders of Ha(y)ley – we’ll get our answer.
            If the timeline is correct, she would’ve first chatted with the newly-appointed showrunners while she abroad filming another project. I find it hard to believe that they went through their plans for the season step-by-step, in intimate detail.
            Katic has been a consistent champion of Caskett, and a pretty fierce protector of her own character. If people want to blame her for the direction the show is going, where Beckett is the bad guy, the obstacle, then nothing I say – and probably nothing the actor herself says – is going to change their minds.

• lkh says:

JOT-as long as she’s strong they can call her what they want–no more small, dutiful, compliant wife. I’m in!

39. Liz says:

Well…I am glad the comment section isn’t dissapointing my expectations. I loved the first episode…was thoroughly enjoying the second…and now I’m just not sure. I feel for writers and show runners. It’s hard to go eight years on a show without getting routine and the characters stale. And it’s harder when you get to the wedding part of the will they Wong you. What does happily ever after look like, and how do you keep it interesting. I’m willing to see how this plays out bc I still love the characters. But I’m not as excited as I was just 30 minutes ago before part two ended with a bang

40. Laura says:

Knowing how the castle writers work I´m sure they are casting a new love interest for castle right now. Angst , angst and more angst . I want all my time (7 seasons, 153 hours) and money (dvds) back.

@laura

you already have them divorced, wow! have you not watched the show at all this will just be a passing thing just like the pi acr and back to working , now saying that trust is lost again and have to rebuild and that’s what they are doing here, give it a chance. i know that i will and any true fan will.

41. diane says:

Sorry for the fans that are still watching. So many of you were right.

42. Lyn says:

What is the name of the actress who played Rita. I can’t place her.

43. Lysh says:

I just…don’t understand. Kate seemed like she was going off far away for a while, but then the previews make it seem like she still there. Did she get a new apartment and this is how things are going to be this season? It’s just weird.

Castle was hella badass with that gun in the desk move though. So. That was good.

• iSk says:

But his gun skills change with the situation. In early seasons, he was good. Last season he blundered with it. Now he’s a super shot. These inconsistencies just drop me out of a story and are tiresome.

44. Db says:

45. TJ says:

Basically what Beckett is saying to Castle here is “You will never be my first priority. I love you but your not enough.” Probably the first time I’m actually rooting for them not to be together. Hope Castle finds someone more deserving of his devotion, although based on the preview for next week it’s just going to be Castle trying to win back Beckett, who absolutely doesn’t deserve him.

• Just one thing says:

He’s already found someone more deserving of his devotion. Her name is Alexis. Short of that, Hayley.
      Does anyone else think it’s weird that Alexis/Hayley is developed when Alexi Hawley re-joins the show? It’s been bugging me all summer.

• CastleBuzz says:

LOL. I thought of that too.

• ndixit says:

Alexis is his daughter. Why is it such a problem that he loves his daughter the most? I thought it would be a natural instinct for anyone to identify with. Its odd that people compete Castle’s love for Alexis with his love for Kate. Its almost as if he’s committed a crime for loving his daughter the most.

• Just one thing says:

I see nothing wrong with Castle loving Alexis fiercely. She’s his daughter. But I do believe in boundaries. The same show that spent the last three years having Castle and Alexis solve crimes while Beckett does her thing back home has decided that throwing a stranger into the Castle/Alexis mix makes perfect sense.
          Pea pod love cannot be breached by the wife or stepmom, but a fast-talking Brit is welcome into the fold by one and all – even Martha.

• lkh says:

names, combinations, might be your nemesis JOT

• kath says:

Alexis and Hayley, two shameless Mary Sues, now take center stage working with Castle instead of Beckett when Alexi Hawley starts showrunning.
        “Shameless” doesn’t even being to cover it.

46. Teri says:

The journey back to each other will be just as great as Kate leaving. See how it all shakes out.

47. TvLover says:

Well I was right. But . . . I can’t say I’m shocked, at all. Just wonder if the shows ratings will take a serious nose dive now.
    Yup, another ABC show ship has sunk to the bottom of the ocean. Ugh. ( shaking head).

But hey, up until those final few minutes it was a pretty intense episode.

48. Nostalgic says:

Question? Why would anyone want Castle to be with a woman who chose colleagues she worked with for three months over the man she supposedly loves?

This relationship is over! When he takes her back ( and we know he will ) it will show him to be a spineless moron. As I said it’s over. Period.

• SlurpeeMonster says:

Remember Becketts search started the ball rolling when she was with the AG’s office. As she said to Castles step mom she feels responsible for her former teams death because of her looking into braken and letting the dragon out of the cage. She feels she has to set it right and doesnt want the 1 person she loves more than her own life to die because of her mostake. Have faith!!

• Joe says:

That is assisine, given that she is still legally married to him and working along side him apparently…

• John NYC says:

Agreed the only way that big fat target comes off his back is with a huge and very ugly breakup and divorce complete with photos of one of them cheating on the other splashed all over the Post.

• TJ says:

Have faith in what? A relationship where Castle puts Beckett above everything but Castle comes second in Becketts eyes to her job. That’s not a good relationship. I’ll put my faith in Castle finding someone more deserving of his love.

Exactly, Slurpee.
        John, Joe, TJ — there’s no target on Castle’s back if Kate’s out in the open. He was only targeted to find out where she was when she disappeared. He’d could be collateral damage if they were together.
        TJ – you have faith in Castle finding someone more deserving of his love? He had two failed marriages and countless attempts to find someone until he pushed and shoved his way into Beckett’s career and life. I’d say she’s the best he’s going to get.

• Harvey says:

Look Kate and Castle have gone through a lot, and this also just seemed too rush of a decision for Kate. That is the reason that people are disliking Kate. And yes, two failed marriages or not, he has changed too now. He stood on a bomb for her!

Two people here, I think, have the thought of Beckett being a good wife as being a bad character for her. That itself means that they think she can’t be a good wife, and so yeah Castle can find somebody better that way.

• CastleBuzz says:

Oh, please, he didn’t stand on the bomb for her. He stood by her side. Yes, he could have died too. If they hadn’t deduced the code correctly and in time, she would have had to spend her last seconds alive knowing that he died for her in vain. That’s worst than dying. She wanted him to leave, asked him to, with less than a minute to go. He didn’t. I never saw that as particularly noble of him. I would not want the love of my life to die with me for no reason.

• Harvey says:

lol! Castlebuzz, now you’ve officially showed how much you have hate for Castle. If he wouldn’t have been there, she would have died, he was ready to die with her if that meant helping her and being there for her till the very end!

• TJ says:

Haha wow your one of those people who would defend Beckett to the death I see. She has no target on her back. Like Castles stepmom said it was all tied up when the chick put a bullet in her brain. Beckett is doing this out of the same unhealthy obsession that she had with her mothers case (which if Castle hadn’t have come along she’d still be obsessed over it). And even if there was someone after her (which there’s not) the only way to protect Castle is for them to have a very nasty and public breakup. You think anyone that would come after her wouldn’t go after Castle because she isn’t staying with him? How would they know that? They will come after him to get to her and when he doesn’t know anything they’ll kill him. Her walking out on him isn’t broadcasted to all the bad guys of the world, on paper they are together and he can be used as leverage.

And yeah Castle could do much better. If your really comparing him to the guy he was early on you haven’t been paying attention. Or your too busy being distracted by the rainbows you obviously feel come out of Becketts butt. It’s obvious wh n Castle loves someone he completely dedicates himself to them and they are the most important thing in his life. I hope Castle finds someone who can treat him like that.

• CastleBuzz says:

Actually Kate had put aside her mother’s case a long time before Rick came into the picture. He is the one who went against her expressed wishes — again — and reopened the case by calling in the expert, Dr. Death. with the autopsy photos.
            If there is no target on her, there’s no target on him. She counting on that and her ability to make it seem to the bad guys as though everyone, including her and Castle, believes the AG woman committed suicide b/c she was the kingpin. To keep it that way and be able to investigate as her nature compels her to, she has to find a way for him not to know she doesn’t believe that and is secretly investigating. Leaving him — in her mind — will accomplish that.
            Finally, let’s try to be a bit more civil when disagreeing. You have no idea who or what I will defend. You are not in the position to judge my ability to pay attention and not be distracted. And your rainbow-butt comment is just plain rude.

• Annie says:

Rita told Beckett that the threat to Beckett and her family from Big Bad had been neutralized and Rita will continue investigating. The way for Beckett to keep Castle safe was to stop investigating. Rita told Beckett, if you continue investigating on your own you will be responsible for any harm that comes to those you love. Beckett leaving Castle and investigating Big Bad (while also running the precinct as Captain) is deliberately and knowingly putting those she loves at risk. Very selfish.

49. Alice says:

Why is this a surprise? They’ve been basically hinting it the entire summer….
    And to think y’all wanted this blind item to be about Bones so bad.

• Wendy says:

Hell, Bones messed up PLENTY over almost 11 seasons, BUT at least the throughline of Booth and Brennan being in love was never truly in question. I sincerely feel for the “Castle” viewers, but with new show runners, it always seems to come down to leaving a mark. I’m just not sure this was the way to do it so late in the game. But it is what it is now.

• Tiffany says:

I actually related this to Bones. Wasn’t it just last seasons Bones and Booth broke up because of his gambling? Yes we all new they still loved each other and would get back together but Kate and Rick also love each other and will most definitely also get back together!

• lily says:

Booth and Brennan never actually broke up. Brennan “kicked him out” of the house as a wake up call for him to stop gambling and get help, and took him back two episodes later. So that was not a break up.

• TaMara says:

And much more realistic than whatever this weird, let’s pull something out of our butts that is so far away from reality (much like Castle’s disappearance that I still can’t tell you what the fantasy was about. And Booth and Brennan struggled with trust, addiction and loving something despite their failings and really made those last few episodes honest (unlike the Pelant crap which almost did my patience in).

• Tiffany says:

That’s a good point. I don’t really see Beckett leaving as a breakup though. I mean she only had an over night bag, no one’s talking about divorce no one’s saying they stopped loving each other. Kate just has to go do what ever it is she thinks she has to do and judging on next weeks promo Castle is not giving up on her!