Fear The Walking Dead Recap

Fear The Walking Dead Recap: Desperate Times, Desperate Measures

In the penultimate episode of Fear the Walking Dead’s first season, both Travis and Daniel hatched plans to retrieve Nick and Griselda from the Army’s clutches. Travis’ involved asking d-bag extraordinaire Moyers to help. Daniel’s involved going all Sweeney Todd on Reynolds. Wanna guess whose plan worked out better? Read on, and I’ll confirm what you’re already thinking.

SNITCH BLADE | Early on in “Cobalt,” Ofelia — believing that her father wanted to trade Reynolds for Nick and Griselda — lured the soldier into a trap. Of course, the barber actually intended to use the torture skills he picked up during the war to get information out of his daughter’s boyfriend. Upon learning just how bloody things had gotten, Maddie reacted like a cold-hearted survivor: “Did he tell us what we need to know?” Ofelia, on the other hand, didn’t take it quite so well. At least, Daniel gained valuable intel: Reynolds revealed that “Cobalt” was code to initiate the evacuation of enlisted men from the L.A. basin the following morning. What about the civilians? They were marked for “humane termination.” Yikes!

PLAN B | Meanwhile, Moyers laughed off what he called Travis’ “issues with protocol” — until Mr. Mayor threatened to spark a revolt in the neighborhood if he wasn’t taken to Exner to check on Nick and Griselda. Then, suddenly, the lieutenant was all, “Hey, let’s roll!” Unfortunately, they never made it to the doctor’s makeshift hospital. After Moyers challenged Travis to shoot a walker — which he couldn’t bring himself to do — the commanding officer was lost to a building full of the infected, and his platoon dropped Travis near his hood before making tracks to find their own families.

LOSING PATIENTS | Inside Exner’s ER/lock-up combo, Nick was being taken “downstairs” — which just plain sounded ominous — when his well-dressed cellmate (Colman Domingo, charisma bursting from every pore) traded a soldier a pair of diamond cufflinks to keep him around. Why? Because, the smooth operator explained, the soldiers are leaving, and when he makes a break for it, he’ll need a “man with [Nick’s] talents.” Nearby, Liza snuck into recovery to see a newly amputated Griselda, who soon died. After Exner explained that the deceased had to be shot in the head, or else, like everyone who passed away — whether bitten or not — she’d come back, Liza pulled the trigger herself.

SECRET WEAPON | When Travis got home, he was horrified to learn what Daniel had done — and even more horrified that he’d had Maddie’s tacit approval to do it. Still, there was no denying the usefulness of the information that Reynolds gave up. Not only had he explained the lethal meaning of Cobalt, but he’d told Daniel about a nearby arena chock-full of the infected. As the hour came to a close, it certainly looked as if the barber was considering turning the zombies loose on the soldiers. Good thing Chris and Alicia had a fun day flirting and trashing an abandoned McMansion —it might be their last one for a while!

So, what did you think of the episode? Who do you think — or hope — won’t survive the finale? Hit the comments!

1. BT says:

This show is just a boring family drama set in the zombie apocalypse. At this point in TWD, the camp had been attacked and the group was headed to the CDC. We have been sitting around someone’s house for five episodes dealign wit family drama. Blerg! The guy in the cell with Nick is the FIRST truly interesting and charismatic character this show has introduced.

Really disappointed in FearTWD.

2. A. D. says:

Still soooo boring…still not caring about any of the characters like I do on TWD…how can they screw this up so much! Rooting for the zombies!

• tvjunkie says:

You need some ADD medication. We knew going in the first season was going show what was going on in the world before Rick woke up in the hospital on TWD. The show will be getting to that point eventually, perhaps by the end of the season finale.

• Pariseden says:

Seems like the zombies are on the east coast and down south to me.

3. Tina says:

So the season is almost over and I’m not sucked in and I still don’t care for any of these characters. Why is that? And Daniel going all psycho on the soldier, what? I just don’t care, at this point, I just want to see how it ends since I’ve invested all these weeks. Come on Walking Dead!!!

4. AngelWasHere says:

So Alicia is Maddie’s son and Chris is Travis’ son? So they aren’t blood related right? I found their flirting creepy. o_o

• AngelWasHere says:

I mean daughter. lol sorry.

• A fan of TV says:

Not blood related. I am starting to get the impression as well that part of Chris’ resentment towards Maddie has to do with the fact that her relationship with Travis makes him feel guilty for being so into his stepsister…

5. wrstlgirl says:

The original Walking Dead people were weeks into the ZA when the show started. This is just the first few days. Do I think it could pick up the pace a bit, sure, but I’m still enjoying watching everything fall apart. Can’t wait to see how/ where this season ends and next season starts.

• David says:

If I remember, they were about 4 weeks into the ZA when Rick wakes up. These folks are now 2 weeks into it. Last week they said they had been in that camp for 9 days plus a few other days here and there. I’m glad you liking the show, but you may be in minority, especially considering the comments… I think most are continuing to watch out of loyalty to TWD. I can tell you this, if it wasn’t for TWD, I would have already quit watching. I gave z nation 3-4 episodes before I quit watching that.

• omar says:

Wrong! Rick Grime wakes up from a months-long coma to confront an apocalyptic world overrun by zombies.

• wrstlgirl says:

I suspect that by the end of the finale or the beginning of season two we will lose the military. It already started somewhat in tonight’s episode. Rick was estimated to be in his coma for 4 to 5 weeks. These people are two weeks in. I don’t care much about majority/minority. I watch what I like not what other people like :-) :-)

6. Ralph says:

Definitely agree, don’t care about any of the characters and it’s extremely boring at this point. Count me out for next year too.

7. Will says:

Dang….episode 5, and I still don’t care for the characters.

8. David says:

Agree with the others here. Will watch the finale and season opener next year, but I think I am done as well. My biggest gripe is how they are depicting every military member. In a show that is grounded in reality, yes there are zombies, but the show is based on reality, they show the military like a third reach regime. Sorry, Fear is way off base here with their treatment and depiction of the military, and they will loose/have lost some fans. It would have been better for them
    to use local law enforcement instead, but then I guess the cops wouldn’t be able to nuke the city a humanely terminate all civilians. So frustrating…..

I really wanted to give this show a chance, but unless something drastic happens next season, I’ll stick to walking dead.

9. omar says:

Great episode tonight! Can’t wait for next week!
    I’m so mad that I didn’t see how Moyers died :(

• Tim says:

I think this was the best episode so far!

• wrstlgirl says:

I agree, you can see the military starting to crumble based on that call for help when Travis was in the truck. I’m thinking that outside of this neighborhood that they are trapped in the zombies are taking over. Not to mention the thousands of them trapped in that stadium, LOL!!

• MissDez says:

I think Moyers got fragged. The others guys didn’t want to seem to talk about it, he just wasn’t coming back.

• A fan of TV says:

But the ambiguity is cool. I bet he was sacrificed a la Otis, so the others could get away from the building AND out from under his increasingly heavy-handed command.

10. snaks says:

People said season 1 of TWD sucked too remember? in fact it didnt really get good until season 3, seadon 1 and 2 were boring as hell. The show has an entire run ahead of it and if all the characters were developed to the extent that you can decide if you care about them then maybe their transotmation wont mean as much when it happens. give shows a chance you are all pretty quick to judge, let characters grow on you, leave yoyrself bulnerable to a gripping story. personally i think the show is great and is a good sign of things to come.

11. betty says:

Loved it. This is going to be an amazing series. Cant wait for next week. So happy that its doing great cant wait for a long series run for this one. Great for the whole TWD franchise.

12. LDJ says:

The main show may all have us a little spoiled but “FEAR” is a good show. I’m sure the producers are gathering feedback and will certainly work to make adjustments as necessary – – this is just a different story to tell. I plan to keep watching.

13. A fan of TV says:

A lot of negativity I don’t understand, personally. I’m very much enjoying it, and this ep gave people that uncomfortable gore that the original show does every week. I’m not bored when I watch it, but I also had no real issues with season 2 of the original.

Building these characters lives interests me. Of course they’re stuck in their house – the military posted a fence around their neighborhood and told them to stay inside. They’re still grappling with their new leadership. If the world ended, and we were all confused, staying where the army tells us to stay is logical, especially if you don’t think you have a reason to fear them, or e en if you do fear them. The military has the sort of weaponry you don’t mess with without plenty to back you up.

I can’t imagine that when Daniel sees his wife with the execution dart in her head, he’ll be all forgiving and fine with it, but will he take his grief out on Liza and Dr. Exner (hope not, really like Liza, even though she’s presented a little as the anti-Maddie, who I really love), or will Daniel take it out on the world at large? I hope that the doc and the con artist join the rest of the group (though the con artist is the sort of selfish snake that will grate on me personally, just like Shane and Father Gabriel did/do), and I wonder if all the survivors will become the minions to Daniel’s potential Governor-style my-way-or-you-die baddie. Or, will Daniel be more like Rick and Maddie, and just do what he has to to stay alive? At what point does Travis’ pacifism literally bite him? I’m definitely not going to enjoy waiting a year to get most of these answers.

• Carol_R says:

My issue is that I don’t like the characters, except maybe Liza. On TWD I liked most of the characters in Season 1 except Shane (but he was an excellent villain) and Carol’s husband. Merle at least was interesting.

14. Guest says:

I enjoyed the episode. It is great to see the build up to the apocalypse during the time Rick Grimes was in his coma.

15. Annie says:

I’m enjoying the show! Maybe it’s because I’ve never seen The Walking Dead. Yes, I realize I’m the only person on the planet that hasn’t seen it, but as a new fan to the zombie stuff, I like the show.

16. David says:

Another bad sign:

Walking Dead Season 1 Ratings in million of viewers

5.3
    4.7
    5.0
    4.7
    5.5
    5.9

Not great, but at the time, it was huge for AMC, and… pretty steady…

Fear Season 1 Ratings

10.1
    8.2
    7.2
    6.6

Fear is hemorrhaging viewers and unless there is a turn around, and they fix some of the issues that are turning viewers away, I’m afraid we will only see the 2 planned seasons.

17. Walkie says:

Continues to be disappointingly boring.
    I don’t care about any of the characters.

18. charlid6179 says:

This arc is short..only 6 episodes. I expected it to be slow because when TWD started it was already in the middle of this, This part of the story is on point. What do you do how how do you react when you don’t understand what’s happening? What do you do when you kill someone and they don’t die?

If you read the comics, the military story line was how the Governor came to be. Is this who the jail guy is? The west coast governor?