Blood Oil Recap

Is Blood & Oil Rich With Soapy Drama?

It was almost exactly five months ago that ABC announced Emily Thorne’s Revenge plot would be ending. Does the network’s new drama, Blood & Oil, sate your need for Sunday-night drama?

Blood & Oil stars Chace Crawford (Gossip Girl) and Rebecca Rittenhouse (Red Band Society) as Billy and Cody Lefever, newlyweds making tracks for Rock Springs, N.D., where a recent oil find has begat a bustling boomtown, populated by the very rich — namely, Don Johnson’s Hap Briggs — and the poor and plucky.

The Lefevers starts off among the latter, their pockets filled with their savings and their head filled with the dream of opening, yes, a laundromat. But then Billy gets the idea to nab a parcel of land that’s valuable to Hap’s new venture. Billy borrows heavily from two sources, including local tavern owner Jules (India de Beaufort), to meet the discounted price set by Clifton Lundegren, an old salt who’s no friend of Hap’s. Billy then cuts a deal with Briggs for a cool million-plus dollars, SCOTT MICHAEL FOSTER, DON JOHNSON$50,000 of which he and Cody (who’s newly pregnant, BTW!) gift to a similarly entrepreneurial couple they met.

Billy’s play impresses Hap, who immediately touts the lad as having the enterprising spirit his son Wick (Scott Michael Foster) doesn’t have. Little does Hap know, Wick is conspiring with a local opportunist to steal from his own father’s well — a theft that is interrupted when Hap, his wife Carla (Amber Valletta) and the Lefevers visit the rig late at night. A skirmish ensues, the two young men wrassle in a pit of oil, until a stray ember ignites it, and… we fade to black.

Did Blood & Oil grab you? Share your thoughts in Comments.

1. wrstlgirl says:

I loved it, can’t wait for more.

2. Ralph says:

I miss Dallas.

3. Cc says:

Horrendous.
    Bad acting, writing, directing. Just bad across the board. People are going to tune in to OUAT, skip this, and then tune back in for Quantico. Mess.

• Kay says:

I am so glad blood and oil is back ! It has intrigued drama some romance it is great!

• Toni Reynolds says:

Is cancellation confirmed? If not, has it been picked up by another station? This was my favorite show. Excellent cast and storyline . Don Johnson is great and perfect for the role of Hap. Please get it back on the air .

4. Just one thing says:

It’s an ABC “Signature” Production. So, that’s interesting.

5. Red Snapper says:

I don’t mind a good or awesomely bad soapy drama but I’m not sure which this one is yet. It could just end up being bad. The acting and story weren’t great but those are things I can usually overlook in a soap, I don’t expect them to be the best shows ever. This’ll be one that I give 3-5 episodes before making a decision. I’m hoping I’ll like it, I need a new cheesy drama.

6. Ram510 says:

It’s was super soapy that’s for sure. It was just ok. It kind of reminded me of how Dallas started on TNT, big on the soap but kind of all over the place direction wise. If it ends up being like the Dallas reboot it’ll take about 6-7 episode before it gets really good. I’ll probably continue to check it out between football highlights

7. It was fine. Fairly traditional prime time suds, which I enjoy.

8. Mr. Tran K says:

I give Blood & Oil a C. Really not into the world of prime time soaps like Revenge but it’s Dallas gone terribly wrong and this series isn’t my cup of oil uh I mean tea. Who knew Scott Michael Foster’s character is the show’s main villain?

9. Kris says:

I gave it a B. Good but not amazing. I think it may be my new guilty pleasure!

10. A says:

Scott Michael Foster was willing to be killed off Chasing Life for this?

11. Diane says:

I liked it. I’ll continue to watch.

12. muffin says:

Don Johnson’s talent is wasted on this mess.

13. Burr says:

well i spy with my lil eye one of the first three cancellations this year ….

14. Belle says:

Nope, not gonna add this to my DVR…I already have more than enough shows that are SO much better than this. Sorry DJ!

15. cuius says:

Definitely in the “so-bad-it’s-good” category.

16. Jared says:

I loved Blood and Oil way more than I expected to.

17. LT says:

Not strong enough…nope, not even close.

18. MikeD says:

Why could ABC just not have acquired the rights to Dallas.. You could still have the same basic polt and cast (Don Johnson…as Jack Ewing…hello?) Built in fan base.

19. Joel says:

Fills the ‘Revenge’ void just fine. Too early to tell how twisty it might become, but this was solid ABC drama. Loads better than ‘Quantico.’ Ugh, what horrible, diversity-pandering, empty, illogical trash that was. Though it took few chances, at least ‘Blood & Oil’ knows what it is — a primetime soap opera.

• JB says:

Glad someone else has my same thoughts!! I really wanted to like Quantico but it really lost me. Blood & Oil, on the other hand, has me waiting for next Sunday!!

20. Sally McLinn says:

It moved very fast and it held my interest. I’m going to have a hard time between Madam Secretary and this one, which one to watch? I’m going to have to subscribe to a service where I can see these shows.

21. LC says:

LOL!!!! So, let me just say this: I live in North Dakota. I work in the energy industry. My first clue that this show was going to be bad was mountains near Williston. Anyone who has been anywhere near ND, knows how laughable mountains ANYWHERE in ND are!

22. Denis & Sandi Logan says:

Don Johnson’s name attracted us to this show. After my wife and I finished watching, we looked at each other, and said “Dallas” at the same time. And this morning when I talked to my Brother-in-law, it was same thing. We are white 70,76,and77, none of us thought it was very good. Bad concept, poor script, a lot didn’t make any sense or logic. We won’t watch again! There was at least 4 shows that already used this concept and scripts Dallas1, Dallas2, Knott’s Landing and Dynasty. At first Dallas wasn’t too bad, but it got tiring after 2 or 3 years. The other 3 shows weren’t very good after the first year. When I look at what you have on your schedule this year it is sad. The shows that are good are Castle, Maybe the new Quantico will ok, Grey’s Anatomy has run its course. Nashville is same old same old, it is done. Scandel was good for a couple of seasons, but that has passed. The comedy’s are so bad. Goldberg’s (not Funny), Blackish, (not funny) and come on. Muppets, that is a kids show put it on in the day time or on the week-end when kids can watch. ABC used to be the best station to watch. I think you show take some of that money you are making and hire some decent writers. All you do is makeovers. The sad part is they were not good the first time around. Dancing with the stars is done get rid of it.
    We read a lot of book so I know there are good writers out there. Try hiring some of them.

23. Shirley says:

Loved it. Very intense. Beautiful scenery! Glad to see Don Johnson back.

24. Da lew says:

So much wrong with this show! Just awful TV!

25. Ann says:

Like someone rolling into a new town with nothing turns into a millionaire in a week. Plus the “Patch” which they want us to believe is a modern day wagon train and everybody piling in for a job like when the settlers came out and wanted free land. There was a lot of unbelievable plots going on here. Toward the end got better I will watch a few more episodes to where it goes. I must say Don Johnson just gets sexier as he gets older. YUMMY!

26. You know how once you see an actor in a certain way you can’t disassociate them from their characters? Well, add Scott Michael Foster to that list. I loved him on Once Upon a Time, so clicked in to watch him on Chasing Life – it was love at first Leo! I tried watching this show because I really do like SMF, but the minute he grabbed his gun and threatened to shoot the people upset about his shooting the moose (Or whatever it was) I was channel surfing.

Chasing Life was ruined by his leaving, this show is unwatchable for me because of his casting as a total a-hole. Now, when Italia Ricce leaves Chasing Life and is cast as this recently gone good jerks new love interest, let me know. Until then I’ll be Netflix watching reruns of his work on OUaT and Chasing Life.

27. Frank says:

This show needs THE EWINGS. Bring on Sue Ellen and John Ross to fight with these ND folks.

28. Miki Lane says:

I want to give Blood and Oil a chance. It held my interests and I felt the cast did a good job of providing lots of onscreen chemistry.

Want to see what these wild-catters are up to next.

29. Amy says:

Terrible show.

30. CMarie says:

Started off really horribly, but by the end I was interested to see what happens next. So hopefully it gets better and not terribly worse…

31. artofthespiel says:

“Stupid” would be a compliment. Expect it to be cancelled by Thanksgiving, if not Halloween.

32. susan says:

Spent most of the time thinking it looked like Colo or Wy–certainly not North Dakota. Did”t even try to look like ND.

33. linda says:

Good show but music so loud dont know what they are saying

34. Jessica says:

The music throughout the show is so loud you can’t hear what the characters are saying. Turn it down or I will be tuning out. Everyone on the internet is saying the same thing. Way toooooooooooo much music in this show

35. Diane Cobb says:

Love blood and oil

36. MO says:

The show was marketed to the wrong demographic. The people who tuned in on the premier were expecting a sexy and scandalous new show. Instead the show opens gritty and raw, and is almost slightly real depiction of a boom-town! Oops, think it could be great, but have to advertise the show…..a bit more accurately!

37. Stephanie says:

I have so many friends catching up on bao be cuz I said it was a modern day Dallas! That’s not a put down! Hottest on tv right now! pls make hap jealous of his wife! He does his thing but let her do hers! Lol tit for tat

38. Dee says:

tiotally addicted to it. Love it. Getting so gooooood. I can’t wait for Sundays. Now it is not on. When will it be back.

• sue Mccaslin says:

Please don’t cancel this show !! I love it and look forward to it every Sunday night, I can’t stand Quantico, Lost me after the 1st few episodes, Couldn’t understand anything that was going on, I love Don Johnson, but he sure is a scoundrel, I just know I love the show….

39. Kerri says:

I think this is very true to the oil field today and I love the show reminds me of my experience as a young oil field wife

40. Please don’t take this show off. I love it.

41. Julio says:

I like the premise of the oil bit but the acting is horrible, especially by Don Johnson. It’s a bit corny. Too bad.

42. Sharon Clavin says:

This show is wonderful! Actors are great keeps you wanting more!!!
    Please bring Blood & Oil back it is missed by many.

43. Eve katunge says:

Best soap ever.ever wonder who determines the contiuance of ths serieces whn the true fans r cryn for more.its jus not fair since thy create films to b enjoyed n hurt funs at the same tym.jus wonder!!;(!!

44. Monica Ayer says:

My husband and I we’re really starting to get into this show. Reminded us of the good old days when there weren’t so many reality shows. The shows back then we’re Dynasty, Dallas, Knots Landing, etc. They actually had a storyline that really sucked you into. So for the sake of the 50-plus year olds… Please bring Blood & Oil back!!! We’d appreciate it and you might be surprised!!!