Exclusive

black-ish Season Premiere Sneak Peek: The N-Word Ruins Dre's Work Day

ABC’s black-ish isn’t just dipping its toes into politically incorrect waters when Season 2 premieres — it’s diving headfirst into the murky water.

The comedy, which makes its sophomore debut tonight at 9:30/8:30c, addresses the N-word in its first episode back, when Jack performs Kanye West’s “Gold Digger” — every. single. uncensored. lyric. — at a school talent show, leading to his possible expulsion.

In TVLine’s exclusive sneak peek above, Dre brings the issue up at work, leading to a highly uncomfortable conversation about the N-word with his white colleagues.

As series creator Kenya Barris told TVLine, black-ish‘s writers thought about tackling the  topic last season, but “it felt a little like it would’ve been low-hanging fruit for a show that has a black cast… We felt like this was the time to explore, but we have our interesting way to do it.”

Press PLAY above for a sneak peek at tonight’s Season 2 premiere, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. c-mo says:

That’s funny! Wonder if there will be any kind of backlash because I’ve wondered about that name for a long time myself.

2. Whatevah says:

I LOVE this show!

3. smartysenior says:

I’ll tune in just to hear that discussion.

4. What is a Low hanging fruit?? what do that mean?

• TheDuck says:

If you’re picking apples, the low hanging fruit is the easiest to get at. Referring to “low hanging fruit” implies that something’s too easy or obvious.

5. Seattlelite says:

I like the show. I like that it brings to light conversations that should be had. However, I have a huge issue with last nights episode. So many times the n word has been defined as hate speech. If that is truly the case, why disrespect yourself and your race by continuing to use it? Personally, I would not ever say it. As a white woman, it frustrates me when I hear it being used and then excuses or acceptances being made for who can use it and who can’t. If the African American/black community is free to use it, why can’t the white community use it? This is a double standard that continues to breed hate and incite racism. The show didn’t make a statement last night, it once again gave a pass to the African American/black community to continue to use the word.

6. Sheila says:

I would like to know if the time this program is aired could be changed? It is entertaining and funny but is competing with Empire!! Need I say more…