Scream Queens Series Premiere

Scream Queens Premiere: Will You Take Another Stab at Fox's Killer Comedy?

“You’re an awful person.”
“Maybe, but I’m rich and I’m pretty, so it doesn’t really matter.”

That exchange, between Chanel No. 1 (played by Emma Roberts) and sorority pledge Grace (Skyler Samuels), should tell you all you need to know about Roberts’ heinous character on Fox’s Scream Queens, which premiered Tuesday.

The new president of Wallace University’s infamous Kappa Kappa Tau sorority, Chanel is incensed when Dean Munsch (living legend Jamie Lee Curtis) demands that Kappa accept any pledges looking to join its ranks, so much so that she decides to scare the motley recruits by fake-dunking their maid’s head in a deep fryer. Only someone decided to turn on the fryer, unbeknownst to Chanel, turning the big prank into a very real murder.

That, children, is how Chanel and her new sisters — including Grace, her roommate Zayday (Keke Palmer) and Hester (Lea Michele), who’s been “obsessed with death” ever since her mom made her kiss her dad’s corpse at his funeral  — formed an eternal bond of silence. And although the gruesome killing of Chanel No. 2 (Ariana Grande) at the close of the first hour proved a serious game-changer, it didn’t rattle the Chanels enough to cancel their time-honored Sexy Gopher Whore Head Challenge, which — thanks to the intervention of the Red Devil — claimed the life of “Deaf Taylor Swift.”

But why should the girls have all the fun? Scream Queens‘ series premiere also introduced Chanel’s boyfriend Chad (Glen Powell) — who’s sleeping with Munsch and got his first boner from watching the movie Faces of Death, for whatever that’s worth — and his best friend Boone (Nick Jonas). Now, Boone is the one you really need to keep an eye on; after appearing to meet his maker at the hand of the Red Devil, Boone was revealed to be very much alive at the end of the two-hour premiere, asking the R.D., “What took you so long?” during their rendezvous at the morgue.

And how could I forget Diego Boneta’s “Coffee Donkey” Pete? Grace’s instant love interest, who never wastes an opportunity to remind her he’s an investigative reporter, was revealed to have an interesting connection to Chanel — and by “interesting,” I mean he basically stalked her for a year after she allegedly led him on. He was also (allegedly) the baby born to the dead sorority girl in 1995. But what was up with the Red Devil costume in his closet? Also, did you know that Pete is an investigative reporter?

As you can tell, I have a lot of questions after watching the Scream Queens premiere, but hey, that’s kind of the point. So let’s hear your questions, as well as your general thoughts about the fledgling series, in a comment below.

1. Kevin says:

hooked!, Ryan Murphy does it again!

2. Eli Edwards says:

I have not laughed so hard for two hours in a while. Give Niecy Nash an Emmy. “And if you can’t get through to the 866 number because of long wait times and such, then go to rule #3: Get the heck out of there!!”

• schu says:

Shondelle!? Why’s there a knife in your throat!? …had me dying! Made the whole episode worth it, Niecy Nash comedic gold

• Dude says:

I’ll just guard the door…

• BrittBrat says:

Niecy Nash was hilarious! I laughed really hard when she drove away, stopped the car, pushed the body out and then kept going.

• Gray says:

Overall, I’m in a wait and see mode with the show. It was fun but it was also a long two hours. But Niecy was so great. She and Lea as Hester made me laugh the most in episode 2, they really committed to the quirk and it paid off.

3. Matt says:

It was everything I’d hoped it be and more! So worth the wait! Definitely didn’t see that ending coming. Also, Chanel might be my favorite TV character in a long time. Emma Roberts plays HBIC characters so perfectly. And Jamie Lee Curtis was as epic as expected.

• etd says:

finally! first comments made me think, that i’m crazy…
      this even didn’t feel like something to have emotions for. but hate is much closer than love in connection to this..well, i can’t even name this show,
      and the type. it is not horror. it is not comedy. not a drama. it is parody to a parody for a combination of all of that. cheap. bad. confusing. parody to a ParHorDramEdy. confusing? with some brains you can understand, what the word mean,which i cant say for this…

• JD says:

As someone tweeted : humor for morons – a little harsh but not far off the mark.

• Sil says:

I have loved 3 of Ryan Murphy’s shows, which all 3 tanked. I tried this 1 got through the 1st 25 minutes, but, there was no emotion in me. I thought nothing, because it was stupid and inane. This show is not for me. I won’t bother anymore.

4. Liam says:

I couldn’t even make it through the first hour.

So I guess the show’s first real victim was me and our household watching!

5. Ryan says:

This show was everything I wanted! I loved every minute of it and can’t wait for the rest of the season. I am excited to see where they go with the story and if they continue to kill of characters so quickly.

Next week can’t come soon enough!

6. MrMank says:

My biggest fear is that Ryan Murphy will do what he always does…turn gold into crap. Which tends to happen with his shows, with alarming speed. That being said…this pilot was BRILLIANT!!

• Jess says:

This pilot was disappointing. He’s turning fake gold into crap. But at least it’s shiny and pretty and new! It’ll leave a stain on your skin, but it’ll be totally worth it.

7. Elissa says:

Was it supposed to be so stupid?

• Kevin says:

I think so, it’s a very heightened world, with exaggerated social commentary

• Luke333 says:

It’s a send up of slasher films… The whimsical killer, past coming back with a vengeance, everyone’s a suspect, murders no one seems to care about, characters doing dumb stuff like investigating the noise instead of fleeing, and teens solving the mysteries cause teens do that all the time.
      It’s supposed to be rediculous cause slasher films are rediculous

• ugh says:

Yes, but we’ve seen before (like in movies like Scream) that you can do a send-up of horror movies but in a smart and witty way. This was just stupid.

• Chance says:

Yes, we know. But it’s not a very well done one. It’s lazy and derivative.

• Elissa says:

The whole scene where the devil and the girl were talking via text and her on the computer and then coming up one last time to press send…..just dumb. I mean I felt like I was watching “Scary Movie”. If this is what it is supposed to be okay, but I didn’t think it was supposed to be deliberately slap stick.

• Maria says:

That is when I finally stopped watching it. I can handle funny but not dumb. I will not be watching the rest of the season.

8. Jess says:

Did not like it all – felt more like Glee minus the singing with a pinch of a scary element. And like all Ryan Murphy shows, this show will start to suck after season one.

9. MyFairLady says:

I LOVE IT!….

10. Jessica says:

I liked it, but I have two problems with it, 1) why are there only like 4 girls in that sorority (not counting the pledges)? and 2) how can this show last more than one season.

11. wrstlgirl says:

Some parts were laugh out loud funny and some parts were really awful. I’m definitely curious so I’ll be back next week.

12. Butters says:

I am very indifferent about this show. It is trying to hard to channel Heathers and Scream (the Movie not the TV show) and not doing it well. It is missing something but I can’t figure it out. It is sad because I wanted to like it but I only liked Niecy Nash. . Maybe it is because the characters are very one dimensional.

The Joe Jonah twist at the end was interesting, but not sure I care enough to tune in next week.

13. laurelnev says:

I’m kind of thinking this should have been a limited run type thing. It’s a lot of fun, but the murder of the week thing is going to get awful old awfully quickly.

14. michael says:

This show was hilarious! Loved the goofiness factor and stereotype characters. Hopefully future episodes will continue to entertain.

15. Karen says:

This show and Ryan Murphy are GENIUS!! Smart, sexy, witty…AND A PERFECT CAST! Can’t wait for next week’s episode!

16. Lynn says:

The problem with this show is everyone is so unlikeable. Normally, you’re supposed to care whether someone gets killed off but everytime someone gets killed on this show it’s like good riddance, you won’t be missed. And I saw the Nick Jonas twist the minute he asked if he should be scared. I knew he’d be alive. The only time I laughed was when the security guard’s friend got killed. Niecy Nash is the only good thing on this show. Instead of worrying who’s next I was rooting for the killer. Emma Roberts and of course Jamie Lee Curtis are good but they should have stopped there and made the other characters more down to realistic and likable so we at least care if someone dies.

17. Dude says:

It’s fun but it feels more like a very dark, very long SNL digital short than it did a television series. There weren’t any real characters to grab onto (okay, that Chad guy is pretty funny) and Emma Roberts isn’t good at adding any depth or humanity to her characters.

• Gunny King says:

Blame the writers, I’m not sure her character was created to show depth or humanity – she’s cold. Emma normally doesn’t impress me, but I thought she did a good job.

• Mm says:

I thought she was fine (not as good as Regina George in terms of bitchy, entitled, mean girl archetype but fine.) The one I found really cringeworthy was Lea Michelle. The neck brace thing was just too much, and over acted. Just goofy. I want her to die next. I’m not sure cheering for characters to die is a good thing.

18. I was shocked when Nick Jonas’s character was killed by the two biggest names they got Adriana grande and Nick Jonas they killed them both off in the first episode so I was very happy for the twist at the end were turned out building was actually alive and in cahoots with the killer

19. Adam says:

I was really excited for this show all summer but found it to be extremely obnoxious. Ryan Murphy usually makes fun disaster TV shows, but this wasn’t really fun for me. The characters are all too insufferable – and not entertainingly so – and I get that they are supposed to be that way so we don’t feel as bad when they die, but I don’t want to watch an entire season of them just for that (although the murder scenes are the only entertaining ones, but very hit-or-miss because the entire situation with the maid’s death was so infuriatingly stupid that my head nearly exploded). They had my two hours and couldn’t hook my interest. Not even the de facto Final Girl, Grace, was that compelling.

20. Alex says:

I loved how it all came together how also boone was like dead and than boom he’s working with the killer yes yes yes it was better than pretty little liars

21. Ram510 says:

It just wasn’t for me. I won’t be returning.
    So far Fox is 0-2 for new shows for me so far, it makes me nervous for Grider and Grandfathered which I’ve really been looking foward to

22. Aaron says:

Is it acceptable to make fun of a deaf person?

• Some chick says:

Since the actress is deaf in real life and had no issue with it, I don’t think anyone should.

• Christy says:

I think it’s the whole “we’re making fun of deaf people but we’re not because the character saying it is awful so don’t be like her” *wink wink* thing.

I love everyone in the cast and wanted to like this show SO MUCH, but the “horrible” characters keep saying things people genuinely think, the people I know who revel in being “anti-PC” and “telling it like it REALLY is”. I know it’s supposed to be funny but I grew up around people who think anyone poor, disabled or non-white is subhuman. I wish the characters weren’t written like someone checking off a list of stereotypes.

23. ABC says:

Awful. I stuck through the self-indulgent “liberties” he took with his previous efforts ‘Nip/Tuck’ and ‘Glee’ because, at the end of day, there was a shared love for these characters and their relationships, profoundly flawed though they may be. None of the characters on SQ are remotely compelling and utterly unredeemable. That this show is on the air — and “The New Normal” never made it to season 2 says a lot about taste in television today. Yeah, it sucks … and not in a good way.

24. Chance says:

The satire is not smart, the jokes are not funny and it’s just not gory enough for a “slasher.” Ariana Grande’s death was like PG.

• Jen says:

It’s on Fox during the 8:00 hour, so can’t be too un-PG. He has a little more liberty on American Horror Story b/c it is on FX at 10:00.

25. JJ says:

Best NEW show of the Fall season. I am Hooked. The show threw some major curveballs that really confused me on who the hell Red Devil could be.

26. Mark says:

It definitely had some fun moments, but I don’t think all the jokes landed like they were supposed to. Loved Emma Roberts. I’ll definitely be back next week.

27. Red Snapper says:

I loved it. It was much better than I expected. It was a hilariously fun satire. Some of the characters were a bit overdone but they were supposed to be. I am curious about the mystery they’ve setup and can’t wait to find out who is all connected to it. I don’t have any theories yet but I do have a few ideas. Can’t wait for next week.

28. Liz says:

Pretty Little Liars meets Scary Movie feat. Mean Girls

29. suziqt1963 says:

Extremely disappointed, so much hype yet nothing good was delivered. The cast is amazing although i think it has too many famous people in it all at once so its a little odd. The outfits are amazing! The set is beautiful but thats about it. I was so excited for this show and was extremely let down. The maid dying was the most awkward cringe moment ever, like i just cannot deal. everything that was supposed to be funny wasn’t, the only time i laughed was when the security guard was murdered. If it didn’t have so many people i liked in this show i wouldn’t watch, and ryan was smart to put so many famous faces in this show because it wouldn’t last without them. Hopefully next week is better.

30. Shawn says:

I almost just gave up on watching it. I didn’t hate it but I just couldn’t really get that into it. I thought that it would be a little bit scarier and a lot funnier. They showed most of the best parts in the previews. The lawnmower scene would have been better if you hadn’t already seen it. I did love the texting scene tho. Nick Jonas makes some very nice eye candy but he cannot act. I will probably tune in again next week but if it’s not any better probably won’t return.

31. Sarah_ says:

I really liked the premiere and I’m continuing watching.
    There sure were a lot of deaths but I’m glad Boone is not dead and it seems he is in the making with the serial killer.
    It was a fun and scary premiere so I think they did there job right..can’t wait for more.

32. KrabbyKakes says:

I found it hilarious but I have a feeling this is going to be a series that doesn’t make a lot of sense, with a lot of inconsistencies. Niecy was EVERYTHING! They could do a lot more with Keke’s character Zayday. And since Grace found the devil costume in Pete’s closet, why not tell the others about it? Especially when the devil tries to kill Chanel in her room? Like I said earlier, too many inconsistencies. Kind of reminds me of The Mentalist revealing who Red John was, it didn’t all add up.

33. Jay says:

Oh man, I loved it – way better than I was expecting. Might have been the Popular vibe taking me back to my youth.

34. S says:

I actually almost stopped watching half way through. Only because Chanel was almost too much to take.

35. Tom says:

The texting murder scene was so bad that it completely turned me off of this show. I was hoping for a clever slasher throwback to the Scream days, but this comes no where close.

36. Rafael says:

It was alright for this criminal trash-talking actress Niecy Nash to appear in this horror comedy and also scream like a victim in it.

37. slayerangel78 says:

I’m still not entirely sure what I watched. It was like American Horror Story tried (unsuccessfully) to have a threesome with the worst parts of Glee and Scream 2. There were a couple of hits, Jamie Lee Curtis and Niecy Nash, with the first half being ok but the second part got downright offensive (gay female characters are reduced to ‘predatory lez’ stock characters but we’re suppose to sympathize with the closeted gay male character?) and stereotypical (one-note sassy black female characters) with it’s ‘humor.’ Won’t be watching again.

• Richard says:

Totally agree with you. It had some good moments. It had a lot of potential. I just hated everyone. I almost liked the blonde “good girl” but then she went along with the cover up. Everything seemed offensive. And I’m not a crazy PC person.

38. Richard says:

It had some funny moments(using the glass cutter and the glass breaking). It had a lot of moments that were too over-the-top and fell flat. I was kinda insulted and embarrassed how horrible people are portrayed on this show. I know I should lighten up but, It didn’t seem like “just” a horror comedy. It seemed like commentary of how shallow and evil Americans are… or atleast American youth.

39. its going to be an anthogloly like AHS different season every year

40. robandco says:

Soooo, we’re two episodes in. Ryan Murphy must have already moved on to something else right ?
    But damn it was so good. It’s everything I wanted it to be. Everyone is just so STUPID, it’s just like real life. Consider me HOOKED.

41. T says:

Scream Queens was really good and funny. I was surprised. My kind of humor. I did read some tweets were people were offended and basically have no sense of that campy humor, though. Yes. People. It was meant to be cheesy. Please get outside more. Socialize more.

42. rachelle says:

I loved the premiere. I thought it was hilarious. I will definitely keep watching.

43. eric says:

Scream Queens was terrible. Ryan Murphy clearly did no research into how the Greek system actually worked. A Dean can’t just force a sorority to accept anyone she wants. It ruined the whole skewing the Greek system if you are just making it all up Ryan. I’m also not sure I can’t watch another episode with Emma Roberts, her character was too way over the top to be anything more than an occasional player. God, what a stupid show that could have been cool.

• martin says:

The Dean making the chapter do that wasn’t that much of a stretch. At some schools, administration does indeed maintain a lot of involvement with its Greek system. And if the president of the national sorority was on board with it, what opposition could that move ever face?

44. Roy Fenimore says:

Sorry, but I had to turn this off when I saw how Nick Jonas sucked (metaphorically speaking) in the pilot. I can’t stand amateur acting, and an amateur among professionals sticks out like a sore thumb. Acting lessons, Nick! Lots of them!

45. Kyle says:

This show was beyond terrible. Emma Roberts is a horrible actress. Didn’t like any of the characters. Completely unfunny and not scary. Overhyped garbage.

46. Steve says:

While I enjoyed parts of the Premiere, I am concerned about the rest of the season. An awful lot of ground was covered in 2 hrs, and I fear the show will burn out before the seasons over. I feel like this would have been better served as a film, then as a 10 to 13 episode series. In a series, You have to be careful with a lot of these characters like Emma Roberts, because you risk them becoming so obnoxious it turns the viewer away. This was just the premiere and there may be some tweaks that improve the weaknesses, but, given Murphy’s history, I do worry this is more likely to end up as bust by the seasons end.

47. Win says:

I loved the opening (1995) scene and “Waterfalls” mention. I actually chuckled at the cultural stereotype of “text/tweet even as your life depended on it.” But I was expecting to love this show and only found it “okay.” I’m not sure if I’m rooting for anyone yet. The people I normally would haven’t drawn me in, but I think the “[almost] everyone’s a suspect” theme may encourage that on purpose.

I’ve been watching Ryan Murphy shows since Popular – stayed with Nip/Tuck, Glee, and The New Normal (I watched this last one, but found I was relieved when it got canceled) until the end of each and am eagerly awaiting AHS: Hotel. I “get” the humor, but as an example, Pumpkin Spice jokes were at their height about a year ago. I’ll absolutely laugh if it adds an original note to the reference/is well done, but there were so many misses for me in that vein. I love the horror genre as well as pop culture references (in fashion and music especially), so I was surprised at my “meh” feeling. There was just no connection past a few laughs for me as a viewer so far, but I’ll definitely keep watching to see if Ryan Murphy & Co. draw me into the mysterious happenings more.

48. Beckers0505 says:

Trying to figure it all and decide if I’ll be back for more or cut it…

The one thing that is shocking though is after all the hype the numbers are low!! Was expecting it to be hot out of the gate!

49. KC says:

I liked it – not as witty as Glee though.
    The ratings weren’t ‘terrific’ – just OK.
    It will be interesting to see if more people tune in or tune out!