Scorpion Season 2

Scorpion Recap: 99 Love Balloons

During Scorpion‘s Season 2 premiere, Walter is tasked with saving 10 million lives from a nuclear-powered satellite hurtling toward Earth — and he needs to do it with a banged-up hand and constant dizzy spells giving him trouble.

But in comparison to his love life woes, the whole Southern-California-blowing-up thing seems like a walk in the park.

Indeed, the CBS drama’s sophomore debut found Walter and Paige confronting their feelings for each other (in the most awkward way that two people can do that), Toby and Happy confronting their feelings for each other (in a surprisingly not-awkward way) and Team Scorpion getting back to work with a new boss. Read on for the details of “Satellite of Love”:

WALTER & PAIGE | Let’s dive right into Walter and Paige’s so-uncomfortable-they’re-cute interactions, shall we? When Walter returns to Team Scorpion’s garage for their latest assignment, Paige flat-out admits that she kissed him while he was unconscious in the hospital, but she’s willing to brush it off and move on as “professional colleagues” if he is — and he is! End of episode!

JK. Halfway through the team’s life-or-death case, Paige accidentally pulls up a file on Walter’s computer… of the incriminating hospital footage… which he hacked into… and now has playing on a loop. (Watching this scene is the definition of “secondhand embarrassment.”) When Walter and Paige get some alone time later in the episode, Walter admits that he does have feelings for Paige, but he’s not willing to act on them if it means compromising Team Scorpion’s success. Paige is crestfallen, and Walter doesn’t seem too pleased about the arrangement either, but they’re forced to grin and bear it at least until they successfully stop Pasadena from blowing up. (They do, but more on that in a minute.)

Scorpion Season 2 PremiereLater that night, Paige and Walter conveniently realize that they never actually tested the hypothesis that Team Scorpion would fall apart if they acted on their feelings. So, they kiss, and it’s definitely not the smoothest operation. There’s a desk getting in the way, and Walter can’t exactly be sexy with a metal cast on his hand, but when he pulls away, both parties are so flustered, they can barely pretend that they’re not totally into each other. They once again decide to remain colleagues and nothing more, but considering Paige looks like she needs an icy shower at the end of the hour, that agreement should last two more episodes, at most.

THE CASE | As for Team Scorpion’s Case of the Week, they’re recruited by Homeland Security’s new director, Adriana Molina (played by Forever‘s Alana De La Garza), to stop a Russian satellite that was knocked out of orbit and will basically serve as an atomic bomb if it hits California. Walter’s still suffering from post-concussion syndrome — which is made worse by stress — but he decides to go back to work anyway, and boy, does the team have some hiccups. They’ve only got three hours to send the satellite into the ocean, and their first two attempts go horribly wrong. Like, “Let’s get ourselves to a helicopter before SoCal explodes” levels of wrongness.

Fortunately, Walter realizes that they can reprogram the satellite’s coordinates by blasting it with an electromagnetic pulse, which he and Paige will send out just as soon as they can fly up in a weather balloon. (Just another day at the office, right?) And even though Walter and Paige encounter just about every possible obstacle while they’re up in the sky — including the satellite hurtling straight at them — they manage to send it sailing into the ocean as they parachute back to safety.

TOBY & HAPPY | Happy begins the episode with the same opinion on dating Toby that she used to have — she’d rather eat glass — but Toby manages to persuade her over the course of one hour, using an odd-but-sweet metaphor about moldy cheese. After he saves Happy from going blind in her right eye (no thanks to a faulty wire), Toby is understandably shocked to hear Happy admit she’s scared of getting her heart broken — but he reassures her there’s no chance he’d ever hurt her. (So, what’s their relationship name? Tappy? Hoby? We need ideas, people.)

With that, I turn it over to you. What did you think of Scorpion‘s Season 2 premiere? Grade the episode via our poll below, then hit the comments to back up your choice!

1. emy says:

LOVED tonight’s episode! Heroes, humor, heart & most important WAIGE !

2. Daisy says:

Toby/Happy is called Quintis. There was even a shipper name contest on the Scorpion CBS twitter to decide!

Story was a little over the top, but glad the show is back, love these characters.

3. BenM says:

How about… Happy and Toby! Oh dear, shipper names.

• lrdslvrhnd says:

Yes please. That’s exactly what I was going to say. Can we *please* call a moratorium on the stupidly cutesy shipper names? (With the notable exceptions of Caskett and Esplainy, ’cause one is surprisingly fitting and the other one makes me think of Lucy & Desi)

4. Boiler says:

Great episode for a very underrated show!!

5. I love how Alana de la Garza’s character does not do a damn thing, but takes all the credit.

• LC says:

Yeah, and honestly, I wasn’t all that thrilled with the character. I love the episode, but her character just seemed very forced to me…like De La Garza was trying too hard to be a hard ass. I loved her on L&O, but not this time. Sorry, Alana…

But the good news is that she may not be around a whole lot. According to an earlier photo gallery here, Peri Gilpin is joining the cast as De La Garza’s replacement! Maybe Molina is getting a promotion due to her “heroic efforts” saving Pasadena?

6. If some one desires to be updated with hottest technologies afterward he must be pay a
    quick visit this site and be up to date every day.

7. JC says:

This episode was soooo much fun lol! I know it’s all kinds of silly but I love the character dynamics and show cuteness. And all the awk Waige stuff was adorable lol!

• tackandcover says:

Totally agree. The show is improbably, implausible, impossible and downright goofy at times. But it is an enjoyable hour of TV. Toby is rapidly becoming my favorite character. Snarky and a smart mouth. Two of my favorite characteristics. Hope that Alana de la Garza shows up more frequently than just a 1 shot appearance. Enjoyed her in Forever.

• LC says:

I’ve love her in just about everything else she’s done, but this character didn’t sit right with me. Just seemed very forced.

8. Diogo says:

Loved this episode! I wasn’t really a fan of the first season but this premiere got me hooked! Great recap!

9. Pat says:

I enjoyed the first season of this show and I watched last nights show, so I am in it for the long run. The only thing I felt was not to believable was Paige getting into that weather balloon contraption. Walter I can see doing this but her not so much.

• Tracy says:

I thought it was a throwback to the pilot where Paige got into the car with Walter to keep the jets in the air! I think the symbolism was great and it was a nice testament to the first episode!

10. liame says:

Tried watching again because of the new season and I still can’t get into this show. If the characters aren’t appealing, I just can’t.

• Tracy says:

Are you kidding? Scorpion has some of the most appealing characters on television! Love them! Especially Sylvester; if you don’t like Sylvester you must enjoy kicking puppies!

11. Bark Star says:

This “will they wont they” crap is going to ruin it all. Really, leave that 30+ year old and compeltely outdated narrative where it belongs: in the soaps.

• awnb95 says:

Agree. Would rather see a very slow development into a relationship as Walter slowly developes his EQ then will they won’t they.

• Tracy says:

I don’t think we are seeing “will they or won’t they”; I think we are seeing two relationship impaired people trying to fight chemistry and make good decisions. Now that they know the feelings are there I think they will slow down and try to work through them until they end up together. Give the show a chance; the writers aren’t idiots and they proved that with season one!

12. I giggled and cringed and giggled again with so much secondhand embarrassment when that clip played. Loved the premiere. This show has become a fave! Esepcially after seeing the cast at comic con.

13. Patty says:

I loved this episode, not just because of the interactions between the characters, but because it´s the first time they didn´t know what to do. It really showed why Walter is the leader, and it was interesting to think he is the only one capable of figuring out solutions.

14. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I couldn’t stop laughing when that image of the hospital room w/Paige kissing Walter popped up on the screen! This show is F-in awesome love all the characters….TEAM SCORPION all the way!

15. smartysenior says:

I wish all shows would do a quick recap after a break. I remember the hospital kiss but can’t for the life of me remember why his hand is messed up. Just a pet peeve.

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

It’s from the car accident on the cliff.

• Alexandra says:

I cant remember either, im just know watching the first episode of season 2 while re watching the last episode of season 1, and he never gets his hand hurt, at the hospital the was fine. i thought he had hurt himself in real life but didnt find anything on that. does anyone know what happend to his hand?

16. Zeph says:

Best line of the show – When Happy says she just needs microwaves to build the EMP and the new Homeland Director looks at Sylvester and just says “Microwaves?” and he turns around and says “Well, how would you build an EMP?” like she’s a total idiot for asking…. Only line that episode that made me bust out laughing; it was such a perfect response for his character.

Hope it pops up in the “Best Quotes” for this week…

17. Luis says:

No chance Toby would ever hurt her? This from the gambling addict? This crash and burn should be both hilarious and heartbreaking.

18. Luis says:

Can we mix the names up and call they Hopey?

• awnb95 says:

As far as I know the relationship names are Quintis Happy/Toby, Waige Walter/Paige, and I think Melvester Megan/Sylvester. Also Kelyes Elyes/Katharine. At least on Tumblr.

19. Ninamags says:

My vote is for Toppy :P

20. Tracy says:

Loved the premiere! Thrilled that the show is back for season 2! Loved the action but hope the showrunners know that we don’t watch only for the action; we love the action but it’s the smarts of the characters and their commitment to each other that got us hooked! Also, the new Homeland Director is okay but I hope we don’t see much of her – we have Cabe for the Homeland stuff! Other major characters from Homeland are not needed…also, this one doesn’t quite fit… Still overall, I’d give the ep an A!

21. Jay says:

I love Waige. I would like to see them explore their relationship more. I have been waiting for this season. It was worth the wait.

22. HAP says:

Inasmuch as Katherine McPhee and Elyes Gabels have been a couple since the beginning of this year, their chemistry really shows. That said, Her kid was totally absent from this episode, and would appear to be from the the preview of episode 2. I’m thinking that the kid takes a back seat, since Kat now appears to be a full fledged member of the team.

• awnb95 says:

I’ve read the actor that plays Ralph has been promoted to series regular. In pictures he looked to be on set during their break for the season 2 premiere, so he’s in the episode they were filming. I guess they just wanted the first episode to focus on the team and not him.

23. lrdslvrhnd says:

I gave up expecting anything remotely resembling realism from this show somewhere around episode 5 (I wasn’t expecting it from about halfway through the pilot, but that’s when I purely gave up on it *g*) so I rather enjoyed the over-the-topness.
    I’m also quite sad that Alana de la Garza got a new show, because I loved her character in this and will be sorry to see her go (…although I’m rather expecting her to talk like that to the President once too often and get sent off to Barrow, Alaska in her final ep…)

24. fiberlicious says:

I needed a cigarette after that episode – and I don’t smoke. I was worried that they would ruin the show in its second season as so many producers do, but it’s just as good as last year.

Thanks, guys – I needed that!

25. Linda says:

Refresh what happened to Walters hand and why does he black out??

26. waigeandquintisshipper says:

Most of the fandom called Happy and Toby Quintis, which I like, but I’ve also always loved Tappy (that’s what I called it before I knew others had thought of ship names)