Minority Report Premiere Recap

Minority Report: Is Its Future Arresting?

“Can you see… whether this show will survive?”

So, more or less, said one of the Precogs in the premiere of Fox’s Minority Report sequel series on Monday night. But before you chime in on whether or not you saw enough to come back for Episode 2, let’s briefly recap the pilot.

Picking up in 2065 – 10 years after the end of Precrime in the Tom Cruise film of the same name – Precog Dash (played by NYC 22‘s Stark Sands) is struggling with his visions. As the movie detailed, the three Precogs were sent away to an undisclosed location, but now Dash has made his way back to Washington, driven by the desire to help others. He tries to stop the murders he sees on his own, but without his twin brother Arthur (One Big Happy‘s Nick Zano), who “sees” the names, his gift is incomplete. He just can’t get to the scene of the crime in time. Meanwhile, big sis Agatha (Mad Men‘s Laura Regan) warns Dash not to interfere.

Dash soon enough encounters Detective Vega (Deception‘s Meagan Good). After she learns who he is, they team up (on the down-low) to stop an attack on a political hopeful. It turns out that the containment system where future killers were incarcerated really messed with their minds, and one prisoner’s daughter wants revenge. But first, Dash and Vega need to get intel from Arthur, who unlike his do-gooder brother, uses his gift for his own benefit, selling information on the black market.

As for Vega, here’s what we know about her: She has a history with her new boss Blake (That 70s Show‘s Wilmer Valderrama); her father was killed, driving her to become a detective; and she lives at home with her mom, who isn’t against the idea of her daughter getting it on with Dash (“When I was your age, we had this thing called Tinder. It’s how I met your father.”). Speaking of mom, she went off birth control at 65, so Vega has a much younger little brother. (In fact, science is so advanced, even fries are healthy in 2065. Sign me up for this future!) But proving some things never change, The Simpsons is celebrating its 75th season.

As a fan of the film Minority Report, I hope the Fox series will branch out past the procedural premise and explore bigger questions about free will, destiny, the role of science, what’s wrong vs. right, etc. And while another opposites-attract pair solving crimes isn’t the most original idea, Good and Sands do make an engaging duo. The best scenes of the pilot were of them at home just talking and getting to know each other. Plus, Sands has an endearing, puppy dog-like quality that makes you root for him.

But what did you think of Fox’s take on Minority Report? Grade the pilot via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick!

1. shaw says:

I liked it. The only problem is that it’s on Fox and they never keep anything. So I’m scared to get attached to it.

2. Ryan says:

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I like the two main characters but I don’t think Wilmer can act. I couldn’t really stand to watch any of his scenes. I think the story is interesting enough to keep me watching until Fox decides it’s time to cancel

3. Tim says:

Like Meagan Good so hope it goes well

4. Drew says:

I thought it was really bad. It was like a mish-mash of things that other shows have already done, with absolutely nothing new to bring to the table. He’s the quirky genius, like Bones or Ichabod. She’s the tough lady cop (in the exact same jacket that they always put all of these tough lady cops) who will be able to relate to the genius just enough to get the job done. The future setting was bland and poorly conceived (I will never talk to my sibling if they are a blow-up doll! Never!!!). The CG work was weirdly bad (the selfie drone and at least one futuristic building that they showed up close looked like cartoons).
    I don’t understand why they didn’t just bring back Almost Human if this is what they wanted. It’s basically the same thing, except Almost Human had some character to it.

• Drew says:

Also, not that I’m complaining, but could they have possibly highlighted the lead actress’ breasts any more than they did in that episode? Don’t get me wrong, it was the highlight of the series for me, but I don’t think it’s necessary for the character that they’re trying to sell here.

• Jerry says:

I didn’t notice this until the last part of the episode when they got out of the car at the rally, but WOAH. What kind of cop dresses like that and as I type this it hit the jogging scene. Oh boy.

• Drew says:

The jogging scene! My brother asked me what logo was on her shirt. I didn’t even realize that there was a logo on her shirt.

• Jane says:

I am complaining. The amount of cleavage on this show ridiculous. I liked the show ok except for that one thing. Why do they always have to dress female police officers like they are working the streets instead of protecting them? These women are professionals not pros

5. Mr. Tran K says:

I give it a C but I really don’t know whether the TV version of Minority Report is going to be a hit or a miss for Fox despite the recent history they had on failed sci-fi shows like Almost Human and Terra Nova and both shows hurt their chances for the network.

6. Rinti says:

I liked more than i thought I would, Im gonna try the next 2 or 3 episodes and then see if i keep it or not.

7. James D says:

it was good. I wouldn’t put it up there with the elite Sci-Fi but it was certainly better than I thought it would be. It will only last a season because it’s on Fox but i will continue to watch it.

8. m3rcnate says:

It was pretty decent. I went into it with really low expectations but think it is actually alright. It’s no “Almost Human” with Urban, Early and Minka and a future with androids but at not point was i bored.
    I like both male leads, and I like the female lead, but damn did they play up her body. I’m not complaining, and I realize you would have to try (and still might fail) to try to make her insanely curvy body unsexy…but she is a detective, yet she dresses like she is…well an actress.
    Only other critique is potentially only there because it is a pilot, but Almost Human did a good job with their police precinct, filling it with characters and background characters…it felt lived in. When she went to the police HQ it was just a big tech room with the asian girl who supposedly built their “system” (“No one can hack my system”) and Wilmer the “boss”.

• lechatnoir says:

Nate you watched a lot of TV this week. Your eyes are going to hurt .The cinematographer succeeded in making the detective Chica smooth and sexy . A bit of eye candy’s good. Don’t you agree ?

9. michael says:

This show was really bad. It definitely won’t be taking up any space on my dvr. Couldn’t even make it through the whole episode it was so bad.

10. rusty says:

Why does Hollywood always think that making a tv series about a movie is a good idea? This is an example of a bad idea. I don’t know where they found the lead ‘actors’ but they most assuredly can not act. I have never seen Meagan Good in anything and I can see why. No talent, delivers her lines like a robot and seemed more interested in showing off her boobs and butt than taking acting lessons. The male lead, I have never heard of either. This kid should go back to being in middle school plays and then go to a acting school, but I don’t think he would ever graduate. All in all, a bad show with bad writing and bad acting. Please take it off the air and and show old episodes of Mr. Ed. At least the horse could act.

• liame says:

I Like this show and Meagan was terrific, the kid was okay, but Wilmer needs to go, I’ve never been a fan of his acting since “That 70s Show”. I hope fox keeps this around, it can only get better.

• smartysenior says:

I agree that Good is perfectly awful in this, she looks so uncomfortable with her lines it makes me nervous to see such bad acting; They need to get her a coach, fast.

• baddog says:

I agree completely – I thought she was wooden and terrible – and the script didn’t help. Why was she complaining about Wilmer then giving him info? It made no sense. Liked Stark Sands…thought he committed to the character very nicely.

11. herman1959 says:

I’ll give it my standard 5-episode tryout because I’d really enjoyed Sands and Good in their previous shows. The pace was a little too fast, but maybe that was because they had to lay out the premise for viewers who hadn’t seen the film (like Me). Hopefully, things will smooth out.

12. peterwdawson says:

Felt Wilmer’s character was way too one dimensional, and in general I’m not crazy about the film having a sequel since the ending was kind of ambiguous. Not bad though.

13. Honestly, bored out of my mind. I did watch this after blindspot and benchmarking against the Lucifer and Limitless pilots I saw at comic con, its unfortunately sub par for me.

14. Ellinas1978 says:

Meagan Good has some (well) good parts to her but she can’t keep my interest picked for the entire season alone.

15. I was a little disappointed but will give it a couple more episodes b/c I know that a lot of the times the pilot isn’t as good as the rest of the show. I really do hope it gets better

16. Allison says:

I liked it and will give it a try. For some reason, the show gives me the same feeling/vibe of Sleepy Hollow and Bones. The other two siblings seem really interesting and I wonder what it is the brother (Arthur) and sister (Agatha) are up to or up against. I won’t get too attached because this show is on Fox and that network has a history of chop-chop when it comes to shows I like so I will stick with it for a few more episodes. Good luck to all involved with the show!

17. TVPeong says:

I thought the show was okay. I am more interested in seeing how the story line with the brother and the sister will unfold, than I am in solving the case of the week.

18. mary says:

I liked it. People need to get over it is like this or that. Every show is going to do that to some extant. Look at Blindspot-reminded people of John Doe. Being that the tv series comes from the movie, did people say AH & Terra Nova were ripoffs of MR the movie? AH & Terra Nova were cancelled because of bad ratings & high costs. Don’t know how much this cost, but ratings are not so good.

19. Two shots of everything... says:

Almost Human was so much better than this show, and FOX made the wrong call when they ended it. This show is done. BRING BACK ALMOST HUMAN!

20. TrudiV says:

I liked it. The technology felt very similar to Almost Human, a show Fox cancelled rather quickly. I hope we are not shown too much family drama

21. AW says:

I like this new series and I hope it survives Season 1 and moves to Season 2!

22. Ram510 says:

I thought it was terrible

23. Gil says:

Why 2 endings for episode 1 of minority report?
    I liked the one leaving the brother a mystery didn’t like the other character at all. I think the ego attitude don’t belong.
    Already have that with the male cop. Don’t need 2

24. MzTeaze says:

I enjoyed it so I hope the future episodes get better. My friend said this was Almost Human 2.0. LOL

25. carrionne says:

If the precogs were brain dead from the moment they were born, then Agatha was in the hospital for years before her drug addict parents popped out the twins. She’s older right? So how would did that work, even in the future? Did the government just keep Agatha on a ventilator or something like that and at some point the parents came back to have the twins? If they got their powers from the experiments that brought them back from their coma, then why do the twins only have half each. If the experiments were done after their Birth, and not before their Conception (like in a lab to be artificially insiminated), then they should each have the full set of premonition power that Agatha has.