Emmys

Big Bang Theory's Mayim Bialik Teases Experimental Season 9 for 'Shamy'

Big Bang Theory fans hoping for a big romantic reunion between estranged lovebirds Sheldon and Amy in tonight’s Season 9 premiere (8/7c on CBS) will be sorely disappointed.

On the Emmy red carpet Sunday, Mayim Bialik told me that Shamy will remain in something of a holding pattern through much of the fall. “We definitely deal with the relationship head on for the first five episodes,” she said, noting that Sheldon and Amy are “not really sure where they are” in the wake of the latter’s season-ending vanishing act. “Jim Parsons and I are still curious where it’s going to go.

“[The writers are] really experimenting with what this is bringing up for Sheldon and what it means for him,” Bialik added, “and how far he can be pushed emotionally.”

Press PLAY above for more from Supporting Actress nominee Bialik, including new intel on Leonard and Penny’s “very different” nuptials.

1. Betty says:

Looking forward to it. Hope the new season is a good one.

2. GildedRose says:

I think it’s a good move to have Sheldon be the one pursuing her while Amy has hit her line in the sand. She’s put up with a lot and, while Sheldon has grown made progress, it’s time to see him step up and start showing he cares about her if he wants her to stick around.

3. Shar says:

At this point I’m not at all interested in Penny & Leonard and am more invested in Howard & Bernadette. It is nice to see that Sheldon is finally experiencing more mature emotions too.

4. Lyn says:

I’m far more interested in Raj & Emily than seeing any more of Amy. Even Stuart would be more interesting. For me, Amy is the one dispensable character.

5. Stacy says:

I love how each relationship has its own dynamic and challenges. I hope they balance the main cast storylines. I enjoy all the characters.

6. rusty says:

Personally, I would like to see Amy slowly phased out of the show. I have never liked her character from day one. Her weirdness is much worse than Sheldon. Watching them together in their scenes is like watching paint dry. About the only story line left is introducing a gay character.
    The writers have put themselves in such a corner in this show, that the only story lines are possible situations where the different couples are either breaking up or are considering it. The show used to so funny. I am still a big fan, but sometimes the show is hard to watch. I am tired of the guys always being the ones at fault and the girls being the heroes. Time for the ladies to realize that their lives are better because of the guys too.
    Please let Howard get his PHD already. They started that story line early in season 8, but didn’t carry it through. If nothing else have it being done in secret and have the big reveal during one of the sweeps months.

7. You know, all this talk about “pushing him” to see how far he can go – and the entire Amy/Sheldon relationship, really – makes me truly uncomfortable when taking into account Jim Parsons has always portrayed Sheldon as someone within the Aspergers spectrum. There are things Sheldon just can’t do and is unfair to expect him to – Amy should know this by now. If she can’t deal with them, she better leave and never come back. If she CAN and WANT to put up with them, adjust and stop trying to “fix” him.

8. davej13 says:

OK, Sheldon is way past the point of being a d-bag. I know this is a sitcom, but people please! Let’s start making Sheldon grow because this is no longer funny.