Emmys

Downton Abbey Team Reveals Series Finale Guest, Talks 'Emotional' Ending

Mr. Carson in tears? OK, now we know we’re not ready for Downton Abbey‘s final season (premiering Jan. 3 on PBS).

“It was strangely affecting, and I didn’t think it would be” Jim Carter, who plays Carson, told TVLine of shooting the series’ final scene when we spoke on the Emmys red carpet Sunday. “We do a job, we move on, that’s the rhythm of our lives. But we shot the last scene that the servants do together — it was quite a sentimental scene — and at the end of it, I completely took myself by surprise by … getting quite tearful.”

TVLine also spoke with Downton creator Julian Fellowes and executive producer Gareth Neame, neither of whom would give us any dirt on the rumored death in Season 6. We did, however, learn that a familiar face will be popping up in the final episode:

“I was in the last scene of the show,” Neame revealed. “The last scene we ever shot, I’m in it. … I’m a waiter, and I’ve stolen the scene. It’s all about the waiter.”

Hit PLAY on our interview with the Downton team above, then drop a comment: What are your hopes for the show’s final season?

1. O'yaya says:

I thought Lily james or the fantastic Shirley Maclaine, so Congrats on luring me here TVline

2. Tim says:

To this day I still can’t understand why I love this show so much. It’s nothing like any other shows I watch but here I am dreading the end.

3. Ellinas1978 says:

When does it premiere in the UK?

4. Jules says:

As long as Matthew doesn’t return from the dead (again) for the finale, I’ll do fine. I would also like a happy ending for Edith, Mary to get some comeuppance, and Violet alive and standing at the end, if it’s not too much trouble.

• S. says:

Huh? He didn’t return from the dead a first time. He was missing in action in WWI which is hardly far-fetched and he came home injured. When he died, he stayed dead. Downton Abbey can bring the soap, but it ain’t that kind of show, nobody’s got an evil twin or anything.

5. Larc says:

Wonder who they will kill off? I hope it’s none of the family. Thomas or Violet’s butler Spratt would be OK.

6. Heather says:

Dejavu, I will never forget you!! LOL – I love that Mr. Carson was in Top Secret!

7. I was like Michael Ausiello asking Fellowes to please “Don’t kill Maggie” , but I think Violet will die

8. A fan of TV says:

If there is a major death, I’ll guess it’s Robert or Violet (even if Fellowes said she’d outlive the show, killing off an old woman in the final episode does no harm really) or, if downstairs, Thomas.

9. Gawd the ways in which I love this show… Holding out for Edith’s HEE, perhaps the crack!ship pairing of Mary and Tom…

10. Ro says:

Carson in a tux… who’d a thunk…