Emmys

Emmys 2015: Was Tribute Video to This Year's Series Finales Too Spoilery?

I hope you pulled an Andy Samberg and binge-watched every single TV show before Sunday’s Emmy Awards, because the ceremony’s tribute to series finales gave away a ton of spoilers.

From the recipient of a stake in the True Blood finale to the fan-favorite character who threw himself in front of a truck in the Sons of Anarchy closer, no major death was left unrevealed in the video, presented by The Grinder‘s Fred Savage.

Emmys host Andy Samberg made note of the spoiler-fest upon returning from the commercial break, welcoming viewers back to the “Spoiler Awards.”

Do you think the farewell gave away too many huge endings? Hit PLAY on the video above then, drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. LK says:

Those shows ended months ago… if people havent watched them yet they probably wont in the future…

• Angela says:

Eh, that’s not necessarily true. There’s lots of people who can be “late to the bandwagon”, as it were, with TV shows. I tend to be like that a lot of the time.
      But I’m also not opposed to hearing spoilers about those shows, too-in fact, sometimes hearing about some of the big stuff that happens in them plays a role in me deciding whether or not I want to check them out further, actually.

• BarbaraDarlin says:

That is so not true!!! With binge watching on Netflix and Amazon Fire…that’s why we can wait and enjoy!

• Seola says:

I tend not to even get into a show before 2 seasons anymore. I’ve gotten into several very good shows that have gotten canceled, for various reasons. Some are higher rated than shows that signed on, others fall victim to the constant schedule moving and changing. I’m still bitter over Invasion and not thrilled with Revolution. Harry’s Law was over and done with before I’d watched more than 5 episodes. Same with Believe – I watched one, it was canceled 5 eps in. I didn’t start watching SoA until last year, despite always wanting to because I have small kids in the house so by the time they are in bed, I can maybe get one episode in and I was catching up on so many others. As it was, I carefully avoided spoilers, and I still didn’t get to the finale until start of February and it was the only show I was watching in my spare time.

My husband works full time, went to school full time and I am working on my Master’s. Which means at any given time, a weekly show starting 2 seasons before may take me at least 2 months to catch up – assuming no one gets sick, no one gets hurt and I can shove it in between some “live” shows I like like AGT. I have had Boardwalk Empire in the list to catch up on, but it ran 5 seasons in barely 4 years

2. Alichat says:

Uhhhh….yes

3. ottomy says:

does any one have a list of the shows that were on the video, please?

4. GeoDiva says:

Nope! It has been months since these aired. It is about the journey not the ending.

5. My problem with it is that they showed musical disaster Glee third after Letterman and Jon Stewart. Way to set the bar high and come down too hard too fast.

6. Mike Q says:

Where the hell was “The Mentalist?”

7. Tricia says:

You’re watching a program dedicated to the last year in television, if you’re not prepare to hear things about the last year in television, you should not be watching. Spoilers happen, either be up to date or learn to deal with it.

• Angela says:

Can’t disagree with this. I respect people’s wish to not be spoiled and understand why, but unfortunately for those people, in this day and age, spoilers seem an inevitability no matter where you go.

• Seola says:

Eh, I get it, a bit. But I don’t think anyone expects to literally see the “money shot” on any show, regardless, but especially a place where these shows don’t even air normally. KWIM? We expect to see slow mo, perhaps of the actors smiling, toasting, laughing – despite losing the ending to Boardwalk Empire, I’m not exactly irate, but I certainly wouldn’t have expected to see the pinnacle moment of every show.

• B says:

yup agreed, imo spoilers are fair game the day after the episode has aired. If they bother you that much than you really shouldn’t be staying up to date with award shows and what not

8. S says:

It’s an award show celebrating the past year of TV, you don’t get to complain about spoilers.

9. kam says:

They certainly could have honored the shows without giving away the very endings/character deaths. I disagree that if people haven’t watched the show yet they probably won’t in the future comment. Maybe years ago that would have been true, but now with all the streaming options/series available for viewing complete series many are watching shows they never watched before. Yes, watching the emmys you DO expect some spoilers – but not those!

10. Nancy says:

Really, Andy Swift, what kind of question is that?? This is September. The season finales of these shows was 3 months ago. *sheesh*

• Patrick says:

I say there should be a 48 hour moratorium on spoilers at the least, with the time until the end of Sunday on the weekend immediately following as the other quiet period. Just because people prefer to wait and binge watch later, it doesn’t mean that the rest of society should wait to discuss the shows. If you don’t want to know spoilers, WATCH IT LIVE.

• Angela says:

If you don’t want to know spoilers, WATCH IT LIVE.
        What about people who work at the time a new episode airs, or who live in other parts of the world and therefore have to wait months for the show to arrive in their neck of the woods? They won’t be able to do that. The spoiler issue isn’t just a matter of people choosing not to watch a show at the time it originally airs, after all, sometimes they miss out on new shows/episodes for reasons beyond their control as well.
        I do agree, though, that if we are going to try and find a way to make both spoilerphobes and non-spoilerphobes happy, there should be a general consensus from both sides of how much time is acceptable before people can start talking about spoilers.

11. Mary says:

To the people who say the shows have been over months ago…get real. With so many shows nowadays, some people may not be caught up. Some people may also get into a show few seasons in and start watching on Netflixs or DVDs. So yes, I agree the segment was too spoilery, namely for a rewards show.

• KCatty says:

Newsflash: The world does not exist to accomodate your schedule or anyone else’s. If it happened in the past, it isn’t a spoiler. End of story.

Seriously, y’all. The levels of self-absorption. Oh, and while you’re at it? GET OFF MY LAWN.

12. DavidSask says:

HELL YES! Feel bad for all those who don’t binge watch!

13. Julie says:

Who was singing Somewhere over the rainbow at tonight’s emmys?

14. Babybop says:

This is how they punish those people that just wait for it to come out On-Demand.

15. Joey says:

Not the Emmys fault that people didn’t watch the shows live (or within months of original airing).

16. they left out falling skies.

17. Tom says:

Maybe, just maybe, we need to stop being so damn sensitive about spoilers. Anyone ever consider that might need to be a thing?

18. Aeol says:

The world cannot wait for you to catch up.

19. MsDaisy says:

Here’s another spoiler: water is wet.

How long before it’s okay to reveal a spoiler? A week, a month, a year (or 2 or 3)? All you spoiler police need to chill the eff out.

20. hayes says:

Spoilers happen when east coast viewers spoil it for the west coast. Not when it’s 4 freakin months later.

21. Melissa says:

Asks the site who spoiled the end of American Ninja Warrior before the show even aired on the West Coast…

• Mark says:

Like, like, like. A million times like.

There are recaps and spoiler interviews up here for any shows before they air on the West Coast. Granted, they are out there with no warning, but still, sometimes from the titles alone you can guess what happens. And at 7PM, I’m on here looking for news about something that isn’t airing tonight, so it’s not like I come on here to be spoiled for that night’s show.

• damian says:

Or, you could look at something else right before the show you are dying to see and not be spoiled about goes on. I love entertainment websites but they have to cater to a lot of people besides me. Including people who have already seen a show. That’s the point of their site, for people to hit them up first. You can’t be constantly checking tvline.com with the expectation that they are going to wait for you to see something so they can talk about it. If it’s an hour before a show you want to see, check out a subject completely unrelated to entertaiment. Websites would be out of business if they couldn’t be the first up with recaps, spoilers, videos, etc.

22. brockcheek says:

Shame! Shame! Shame! Shame!

23. Gail says:

It was a nice gesture, but never give away the endings …That was dumb !!!! And where was justified ?!!!
    I don’t watch anymore award shows … Too one sided and political !’

24. Lindsey says:

And no Hannibal?!

25. lrdslvrhnd says:

Well, most of them were from shows I didn’t recognize or don’t watch (a couple of which I’m merely guessing on). A full third of the video seemed to be clips from Colbert, Letterman, or Stewart. The rest of the shows… meh. (Looking at the list below, I’m only seeing two shows I watch. And totally missed them in the video itself.)
    Honestly, if you’re watching a show awarding stuff that happened the past year in television… you don’t get to complain about hearing stuff that happened in the past year in television. Especially given that Kevin Arnold talked about it for 27 seconds, with the next 23 about talk shows (which, c’mon. Not in the least bit spoilery, they’re TALK SHOWS.) If you can’t get to the remote to mute it in 50 seconds, you probably have bigger problems than finale spoiler… most of which aired months earlier.
    As for the people whining “What about people planning on binging later?” Well, tough doohickeys. Shoulda muted it in the 50 seconds it gave you before anything remotely resembling an actual spoiler, and chances are pretty good that you won’t remember the ending by the time you actually get to it anyway.

26. Mark says:

When can you be upset by a spoiler? When someone shares it with out unannounced and unwarned before it has even aired in your times zone. *Looks pointedly at all those on East Coast who go to social media to share the latest on a show the second it airs.*

I can even see it in the first 24 to 48 hours since people don’t have time to watch things right away.

However, if you are looking at a show several months after it has aired, and especially after it has wrapped up, it’s on you. If you wanted to see something unspoiled, you needed to watch it closer to live. Yes, you may be behind in watching it. I get that. But at some point, the burden falls to you and off the rest of us who do keep up with shows.

After all, Happy Days spoiled the ending of Psycho. It was 15+ years after the movie came out, but at some point the moratorium is over, right?

27. Nicole says:

People will eventually get over being spoiled. I pose another question: Was it necessary for the tribute video to show/spoil major endings to so many shows in the first place? The theme is effective in eliciting an emotional response, but maybe not completely necessary.

28. Miranda says:

I was fuming! Did we really need to see the definitive end points (SO MANY DEATHS!) to know or appreciate that these were finale seasons? So much about what made these series great were not related to the finale plot points, which was why the clip they used for Parenthood made me so mad. Surely a scene with the Braverman clan would have been more representative of the series as a whole?
    That ‘tribute’ spoiled lots of shows for me, and I will happily watch what I want to on my own time so the fact that these episodes aired months ago is not an argument to be having with me.

29. KCC says:

SPOILER ALERT! This comment might contain spoilers. Read it at your own risk.
    Historically, one of the unifying things about television were water cooler discussions the day after a show aired. After seeing a much anticipated or unexpected event on TV, people couldn’t wait to talk to their colleagues and friends about what just happened the night before. For decades that wasn’t a problem because if you missed it, you were out of luck. There was no watching it later, except in re-runs. This was different from movies and books. They are experienced at the viewer’s/reader’s discretion. Any discussion would start with “have you seen/read so-and-so” which to this day is still the norm before talking details about movies/books. Technology has given people options for viewing TV shows and the way we discuss what we view has changed as well. Now instead of waiting until the next morning, the discussions can start AS the show is airing. One of the problems with eliminating TV spoilers is there is so much TV to talk about. You might watch one new release movie or read one book a week, but you’ll watch a dozen or more TV shows in that time. Who wants to talk about what happened on a TV show days, weeks, or months after it aired? There’s another show on tonight I’ll want to talk about tomorrow and last night’s shows will be old news by then. Go ahead and binge watch The Sopranos and good luck finding anyone that wants to chat on the internet about it the day after YOU watched it, but 8 years after it aired.
    Expecting people to delay their discussions about TV shows that have already aired to fit other people’s schedules is unrealistic. One of the great things about the internet is you can have timely discussions about current events. I believe TV is a “live” medium, meaning once something has aired it is considered open for discussion, like a sporting event or political debate. Everyone should be aware that those discussions are happening all the time and at everyone’s individual schedules. If someone decides to delay viewing a TV show for whatever reason, they must do so with the realization that spoilers could come at any time through any medium, including an awards show for the preceding year in TV.
    OK, I guess I didn’t divulge any spoilers in my comment. Perhaps every time you turn on your TV or open an internet browser a warning should display that by using those devices you could expose yourself to spoilers.

30. Garth says:

heaven forbid the rest of us should be entertained because some schmuck might decide to watch something that ended months or years ago …. a media driven story is all this is ,,, something to start a controversy about … stupid

31. Rebecca says:

They could have still paid tribute to these shows without using the last scenes to do it.

32. KC says:

I miss Glee! :(

33. Susan says:

Who was singing “somewhere over the Rainbow” at the Emmys?