How I Met Your Mother Spinoff

HIMYM Pilot Revisited: The Blue French Horn and More — 10 Years Later

We’re going to play a little game we like to call, Haaaaaave You Met Ted? And Robin? And Barney? And Marshall and Lily?

Its been 10 years since How I Met Your Mother‘s series premiere, and whether or not you agree with how the CBS series ended, one thing remains undisputed: The pilot was absolutely, positively legendary.

In honor of this milestone, we’re taking a look back at the episode that hooked millions to see how it holds up a decade later. From Ted and Robin’s meet-cute to Marshall and Lily’s flawed olive theory, the following gallery is the perfect stroll down memory lane for a show that was awesome at least 83 percent of the time.

So skim through our collection of must-see moments, then drop a comment with your fondest memories from Episode 1.

1. Abe Froman says:

Ah, 10 years. It started out so well. If we only knew the show would have the worst series finale. EVER.

• Eddie G says:

So, true!

• DL says:

Not worse than True Blood’s. But close. Tied with Dexter? xD

• 134sc says:

Just rewatched the series and I feel the same way about it as I did after it ended. What a great show. I had absolutely no issue with the ending. Yes the show built up to meeting the mother, but it was also about many other things, especially Ted and Robin. They were a through line right to the end of the series.

I am still prob in the minority, but I don’t care, I thought it was handled very well

• Ann says:

This is one of my all-time favorite shows. I loved the finale. I called that exact ending ever since Season 3 when the writers had planned out that ending. I’m glad they stuck with it…anyone who watches the entire series knows the ending made perfect sense. The only problem with the finale is that the Season 9 buildup to it was terrible…an entire weekend making up the entire season was a terrible idea. The series also ran about 2 seasons too long to wind up with that conclusion. This show would have gone down as one of the greatest complete series ever if CBS and the producers hadn’t been so money-hungry and just ended he series at its most logical conclusion…the first time Ted “let go” of Robin.

• 134s says:

I felt the same way about season 9, but I just saw it again for the first time and once you get 8 or 9 episodes in and watch it for 2 or 3 episode at a time, it is actually really good. I found myself laughing a lot

• Tara17 says:

I agree. I liked the ending too. They just cast the mother so darn well and the ending felt very rushed after the season-long wedding weekend, so I was all “whaaat, oh c’mon!” like most people. But rationally speaking, the ending is perfect and matches the scope and tone of the series.

• tvjunkie says:

I’ve seen worse. Lost and Sopranos to name 2 off the top of my head.

2. Daniel says:

#2, not true! Lobster Crawl in Season 8 and Ted’s scrapbook with the GNB building!

3. I wish it ended in season 3. I was still enjoying it then despite its already noticeable decline.

4. Babybop says:

I want to be over it… And I feel like I should be in order to be a sane person, but I’m still not. The finale makes me so mad I can’t watch reruns without wanting to yell at the screen.

• Regina says:

Seriously though me too! I’ve never been this affected by the end of a series. It’s been over a year since it ended and I still get so angry thinking about how bad it was! And I refuse to watch any of the old episodes because knowing they had planned this ending since like season 2 makes every episode feel like a lie…

• je says:

I thought they had planned it from a later season? I remember seeing something that said if it would have ended at certain points then Victoria or Stella would have been the mother, but they kept getting renewed seasons so they changed it. Ugh, Stella would have been the worst.
        But I agree – finale was the worst ever. I still can’t talk about it calmly. It took me at least 6 months to watch reruns again, bc it was my fave show. I watched the alternate ending and it wasn’t much better, it felt like a quickly put together sort or thing that just sucked.

• B says:

yup i’m right there with you. It’s the one series finale that actually felt like a slap in the face

5. When ever there was nothing on but I saw there was a rerun of HIMYM I would tune into that and usually end up watching 3 or 4 episodes. Since the finale I have never watched another episode and I don’t plan on watching one every again

6. LaShawna says:

Considering how the series ended, we could have just watched the pilot and be done with it, since it seems like everything after that was irrelevant. *sighs*

7. Cecily says:

Sorry, off topic: You guys have a serious advertisement problem here. I can’t read or even SEE the content because the ads are ON TOP of every photo in a slide show, they expand and keep showing up even after I’ve been on the page for a while. I read TVLine all the time and it’s never been like this. Yeesh, Buzzfeed isn’t even this bad. :(

8. was not the best end, but i liked it. don’t know why so much hate about it. 10 years already. I watched the series a few times and everytime I find new jokes, new faces, new laughts.

9. Lauren says:

I guess I’m the only one who liked the finale? I never liked Barney and Robin together. They just didn’t make sense long-term! Obviously the writers agreed with me. And I think it’s pretty genius they had actually planned that all along. It showed so much planning through the entire series.

• 134sc says:

Agreed. The way the story was told and what the story focused on, I always found to b genius. It’s a man, telling his children about a certain portion of his life, leading up to how he met their mother. And in that was the Ted and Robin throughline. The story was always about them, but life always seemed to get in the way. To me it makes perfect sense for them to get together 7 years after Tracy passed. And the show did a damn good job, in the actual meeting of the mother and the love they each shared for each other. It was also made very clear that if she had not passed she and Ted would still b happy together.
      Honestly I do not understand why people hated it when it aired and why people still hate it. Ah well.

10. violetape says:

I adore Barney and Ted’s friendship. My favorite part of the pilot and the show.

Similar to what other commenters posted, for me, it’s more that I loathe watching any Robin scene with Ted or anytime Future Ted talks about the Mother. The finale tarnished their original message of hope and love and believing.

11. Kristina says:

This made me smile. Loved the show, loved the finale, and always will. <3

12. John NYC says:

Should have just stuck with the one hour. The pilot had the ending, the rest was turned into a waste of time by the last minutes of the finale.

Haven’t had any desire to rewatch any episode since: just what’s the point? (IMHO)

13. No, sorry, still angry. Will never stop being angry and I don’t care if that’s ridiculous.

14. Matt says:

Weird. I watched the entire series but totally don’t remember the scene where #25 is taken from. Old Ted looks like he should be from the last episode, but there’s no reason why there’d be a blue French horn scene in that episode. I’m assuming it’s some non-canonical deleted scene from a version of the finale that didn’t end with the yellow umbrella blowing down the street.

15. Asia says:

I haven’t watched any reruns since the show ended (and to think at one point before all this I was watching it everyday).Honestly, I’m not even angry anymore but man the finale still sucks colossally. The ending crapped on the entire show as a whole for me. It was a complete waste of time. And to think that the writers had managed to find an amazing actress that was able surpass expectations as the mother. She was very well received and still even with all that they chose to use her sparingly and sacrifice her at the “altar” of Ted & Robin (a relationship that they had spent years beating into the audience’s head that they were wrong together). It’s mind boggling.

16. Imzadi says:

I may have not liked how the show ended, but I don’t regret watching it. It was really good, for some time.

17. Bark Star says:

Ahhhh…. after all this time, what is the most exquisite thing about this excellent TV show with its great series finale is the cries of the silly fans who didnt get the boring vanilla ending they wanted.

18. Delirious says:

RE: 19 of 25 – anyone else wanting to see if there’s a gag/blooper reel for that leap scene, in case someone actually missed the jump?