Doctor Who Coleman Leaving

Doctor Who: Jenna Coleman Confirms Her 'Emotional' Upcoming Exit

It’s official: Jenna Coleman is upgrading from Companion to Queen of England.

Days after new reports surfaced that she was leaving Doctor Who, the actress announced to BBC Radio on Friday morning, “I have left the TARDIS…. I’ve filmed my last scenes.”

Beyond describing her exit from the series she has called home since 2012 as “emotional,” Coleman was mum about the circumstances of Clara’s good-bye.

“We’re not going to give any details but it will happen at some point this season,” she said. A year-and-a-half ago, she and Doctor Who scribe Steven Moffat “worked out a really good story arc, so hopefully people will love it.”

As previously rumored, Coleman already has a royal gig lined up, as the star of an ITV miniseries about Queen Victoria. “She is a vivid, strong, inspirational and utterly fascinating woman in British history,” the actress noted. “I can’t wait to tell her story.”

1. FH14 says:

Huh. When I first read she was leaving I just assumed it would be either in the finale or in the Christmas special, but this makes it sounds like she’s gonna bow out sometime in the middle like Amy and Rory did in series 7.

I just hope that in the end she just leaves the Tardis and goes to have her own adventures in everyday life like Martha and many of the classic companions did. A lot of the other exits in New Who have ranged from the bittersweet (Rose, Amy and Rory) to the outright depressing (Donna), and I’m not sure I want to deal with that again.

• Gail says:

Donna’s exit was somewhat redeemed on David Tenant’s last episode where she got married to someone who loved her and got the winning lottery ticket that was purchased by her late father and obtained by the Doctor. Rose ended up with a version of the Doctor who was human, had all his memories and would age with her. Amy and Rory lived over 80 years and were together in the past until they died. The only thing sad about their leaving the Doctor is that none of them could be with the Doctor again and that we probably won’t see them again except when we do such as a vision of Amy appearing right before Matt Smith’s Doctor regenerated. They all apparently did have adventures in everyday life like you wished.

• Alyssa says:

I agree. I hope her leaving isn’t something sad and depressing. As a Clara fan I would love to see her leave on a high note and go on to have her own adventures.

• Mike says:

She has to become a Dalek. Unless it was just a hiring coincidence that she was in that episode.

2. WeirdRalph says:

Given that they met Orson Pink (a Danny Pink time-traveling lookalike) who claimed his great-grandmother was a time traveler, I wonder if we’ll discover Clara’s pregnant with Danny’s baby before she leaves.

3. JC1 says:

While I like Clara, I’m not really as sad about this as I might have been earlier. I’ve been working my way through season eight since it was put up on Netflix last month, and I’m not really enjoying her dynamic with Twelve. Maybe a new companion will click better with him.

• xneonix says:

I agree. Clara and Eleven had the best chemistry, but the transition to Twelve was rough and their relationship for the most part felt very forced. There were some moments where they were really awesome together, though, but the majority of series 8 felt a lot more like an interpersonal drama than what I like.

• Ella says:

I liked her more with Twelve. Jenna´s chemistry with Peter was so much better and different. Each to their own, I guess.

• lrdslvrhnd says:

I think that at least part of that was how hot-and-cold she blew towards traveling with the Doctor, which has now been resolved, so I suspect her dynamic with Twelve will be a lot improved. When she wasn’t switching back and forth between “I hate you!” and “This is the best thing EVER!” three times a scene, they were really good together, IMHO.

4. nellie says:

Thank god! I could never like her and get attached to her character the way i did, even Martha who wasnt liked by everyone was a character i loved. Things did get better with twelve but still a little late for me. I wish Jenna well and hope that her exit will be before the christmas special so we will be introduced to the New companion. My vote goes to Journey Blue/ or Courtney from last season, they would be excellent!

5. crcuchick says:

I think they’re pretty far along in filming this season/series so she may be exiting later rather than earlier. It was pretty apparent that she wasn’t going to be in the Christmas Special; that’s one reason why River Song is returning for that one. If for some reason Clara didn’t end up leaving, they would have likely filmed a few scenes with her.

I didn’t like Clara and Twelve at the beginning of Capaldi’s run, but it had a lot to do with how The Doctor was being written. By the end of last season, they were on better footing as The Doctor had come back more to his core personality (the stuff that usually doesn’t change much incarnation to incarnation).

6. Scott4321 says:

I really hope that the first time the new companion will be a boy, and maybe the relationship could be like father-son. That would be something new!

• nellie says:

Yes, that would be amazing. I didnt even think of how good that could be.

• javadude54 says:

The new companion might be a boy but he would be not be the first. Adric was about 14 years old when he met The Doctor (four).

• Isobel says:

As well as Adric the old series had Jamie and Harry, I agree a younger male companion could cool, if not a companion from another time or planet could be interesting, young women from modern earth is a little boring by now

7. GhostWolf says:

I’m glad about this. The last companion I liked was Rory but he was always the second banana (aka Mr. Pond) and became the joke of the show with his constant deaths.

Hopefully the next companion will only be a companion with no mystery and will not take away the spotlight from the Doctor (it is called Doctor Who not the Companion Chronicles). This is why I loved Donna the best – the Doctor and Donna were pals and nothing more – no star-crossed love, unrequited love, etc.

• Isobel says:

Agree just a friend who supports the doctor would be the best version for the next companion, the old series largely kept to that

8. I can’t say I’m surprised. She was supposed to leave last year, but changed her mind at the last minute. That really soured me on her. I hope whoever plays the next companion doesn’t take the job for granted the way I feel Jenna has.

9. Zainan Muhammed says:

That’s so sad I’ll miss her Clara was my favorite companion but I do wish Jenna good luck on her future endeavors. Can’t wait to see the new companion hope I like him/her/them

10. Mike says:

Frankly I wouldn’t mind if they got a new Doctor. I’m sure Peter is a nice person, just don’t like him as the Doctor. Clara has to leave because she becomes a Dalek.