Fall TV Preview

Grey's Anatomy Season 12 Trailer Promises 'Everything Has Changed'

Let the sun shine indeed!

Grey’s Anatomy released its Season 12 trailer Thursday morning and — as heralded by both series creator Shonda Rhimes and the show’s recently revealed key art — the upcoming episodes will find Meredith in a much “lighter” place than where we left her.

The 21-second promo finds Mer waking up — alone (sniff) — and acknowledging that “everything has changed.” But that solemn moment is surrounded by high-energy shots of the rest of the Grey’s ensemble engaging in enthusiastic high fives and wacky home demolition work. Oh, and someone gets socked in the face.

Grey’s Anatomy returns on Thursday, Sept. 24, at 8/7c (ABC). Until then, press PLAY on the video above to watch your favorite docs do their thing, then hit the comments with your quick take on what’s ahead.

1. SA says:

OMG! Can’t wait. This season is going to be so good

2. Alec says:

As much as I will miss Mcdreamy, I am surprisingly exicted for this season, it feels fresh and I am looking foward to the lightness

• Mandy says:

I agree. I’m actually finding myself looking forward to seeing Meredith moving forward because it will be something fresh and new. In the past its been so much repetition with MerDer.

3. regs16 says:

haven’t watched this show in years because i hated the way the men & especially mcdreamy treated the women but i might have to start again. always liked ellen

• And here I thought I was the only one who remembered that Derek called Meredith a slut! I never got over that and I wasn’t sad to see him go.

• Suzyq says:

McDreamy became too arrogant and childish. When he was gone – I simply said Finally!

• T.W.123 says:

Add me to this chorus! I thought I was the only one, too. Did not like how he (or Owen, for that matter) treated the women in his life. I am very interested in where Shonda takes the show next.

Cristina put it best, “He may be dreamy, but he is not the sun. You are.”

• msb says:

I hated McDreamy too! and am surprised that is such a rare sentiment. In his last episode they were trying to make him seem like such a great husband talking about his first kiss with Meredith, which was a.) supposed to be a on night stand and b.) he was married at the time. He was a judgmental pretentious ass the whole time.

4. cej says:

Seems to me Shonda promises a return to lightness and fun every season… I’m opting out.

5. Sara says:

I hope we’ll get to see Meredith more with her 3 kids, and a good medical storyline.

6. EM says:

Looks lighter. We shall see. Can’t wait for it.

7. Josh Emerson says:

Cannot wait. I’m glad Grey’s is going to have a light feel to it again! I think a lot of the best episodes were those that leaned more towards the comedic side of dramedy.

8. Tresa Smith says:

Yes, everything has changed. You killed off the best characters, Lexi, Mark and now Derek. I don’t care if Christina comes back because this show revolved around Derek no matter how you looked at it and people loved him, and it worked.

9. violet blue says:

High five Calzona. ♡♥

10. imf says:

HE wasn’t the sun, THEY were, together. :(

11. Andrew says:

Who hit who was it meredtih that got hit or was it Amy

• LC says:

It was Maggie, and I think she’s hitting the new chief of surgery candidate that Catherine brought in. TVLine posted last week that Lauren Adams has been cast as Bailey’s competition. Considering it’s a blonde in a suit, I’m guessing that’s who it is.

12. tvadict mom says:

I wish Greys was done. It’s definitely not the same show. DerMer were a solid couple. This show needs a solid couple. I’ve also really missed the joking around that Mark and Derek used to do. The show needs male humor to combat the bitchiness that seems to come from strong women characters. (SAD)

13. cdeno says:

Good promo. But it’s kinda short ( both Scandal and How to get away with murder had longer promos).

Go Maggie, not sure why she punched that chick, but go her.

14. Alisha says:

Given that the Jackson/April storyline was the only open ended one last finale, I wished they would have included them in the promo.. Ah well..

15. Shel says:

I quit watching cause you continue to get rid of good actors. I was waiting to see Derick and Meredith go forward now that they were getting their life straighten out, and they final had a mutual respect for each others position. For that matter I have pretty much quit watching not all but much of ABC’s programs. They took off All my Children, One life to live, forever, desperate housewives and several other programs that I liked. Now it is all the good characters (actors).

• LC says:

Grey’s (or Shonda, for that matter) didn’t get rid of Patrick Dempsey. It was widely known that he wanted to get off the show. He was quitting, no matter what. So they didn’t get rid of anybody this time.

16. phyllis says:

Derrick was awesome him and Meriwether finally get it together they were my reason for watching. No one likes a good ,normal love story and they were that!What a loss