Post Mortems
The Mindy Project - Season 4

Mindy Project Premiere: Mindy Kaling, EP Break Down Danny's [Spoiler]

In the first half-hour of The Mindy Project‘s fourth season, Dr. Lahiri found herself married to a reality TV producer (played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt), wearing a diamond ring visible from outer space and living in a house that you might expect to see on MTV Cribs.

And yet, none of those fantasies-come-true could compare to Mindy’s real-life circumstances: She’s not only pregnant with Danny’s baby but engaged to him by the end of the season premiere.

That’s right: After traveling to India to pay Mindy’s parents a visit (and sabotage their efforts to set up an arranged marriage for their daughter), Danny returned to NYC willing to give the whole ’til-death-do-us-part thing another try.

Still, if you’re a Mindy fan who thinks things are going a little too well for the show’s central couple, executive producer Matt Warburton promises Mindy and Danny’s relationship won’t go stale now that they’re engaged (and, in a few episodes’ time, raising a child).

“The audience had the same worries when we got Mindy and Danny together,” Warburton tells TVLine. “Like, ‘Well, now that they’re together, what are they going to talk about?’ And it’s only added more fun to the show. The great thing about Mindy and Danny is they will never, ever, ever run out of things to fight about.”

In fact, the more picture-perfect Mindy’s life seems to become, the more problems she will have on her plate, according to Warburton.

The Mindy Project Season 4 Premiere“Part of the problem is, she has everything she’s ever wanted, all at once. It’s really hard to balance all that,” he teases. “Early on, she meets Eliza Coupe’s character who is a cool friend, and she’s like, ‘Why couldn’t I have had a cool friend before I had a baby? I don’t even have time to hang out with this person.’ There’s not an element of her life where we’re not going to throw her a curveball.”

And even though Dr. L and Dr. C are getting hitched, don’t expect Mindy to become a bridezilla anytime soon. Series star Mindy Kaling says the upcoming episodes will “touch upon” the wedding planning process, but “Mindy is still the same person. I cynically think that nobody really changes that much, but people can stretch a little bit if they find someone they love and want to spend time with. In our show, that is where we’ve found a lot of comedy. We see [Mindy and Danny] stretch.”

As for the introduction of Baby Castellano, Warburton admits with a laugh that infants tend to be “TV poison,” but he’s certain that Mindy and Danny’s newborn won’t prevent the couple from having adventures outside parenthood.

“I used to work on The Simpsons, and one thing we realized is you never worry where Maggie is,” Warburton recalls. “This is a nice family, they love each other, they have their crazy adventures and you assume that everyone’s being taken care of.

He continues: “We found that, in making these episodes of The Mindy Project, if you don’t see the baby in a scene or an episode, you know that it’s OK. You can follow Mindy on an adventure of work or in her personal life, out and about in Manhattan, and you’re just not worried about it. It’s only been positive.”

Mindy Project fans, what did you think of the Season 4 premiere — and Danny’s proposal to Mindy? Grade the episode via our poll below, then hit the comments to back up your choice!

1. Beth says:

loved it!! so happy Mindy is back on my TV :)

2. Nicole says:

Do happy canada will still air this on regular television but sad I have to wait until November 5 for it to start!

3. Clare says:

Awful show. Mindy Kaling is so unfunny.

4. Chris says:

One of the best episodes of Mindy so far.

5. Mehvash says:

You don’t often get references to the Taliban that are funny. The first episode was great. Everything that I loved about this show in the first three seasons all in one episode. Can’t wait to see this season unfold.

6. Courtney says:

Wonderful premiere episode! Loved it from start to finish. So happy this show wasn’t cancelled.

7. Matt C. says:

Loved the premiere. I can’t believe people actually believe Danny and Mindy could ever get boring. Their relationship is one of my favorites out of any of the shows that I watch! I’m looking forward to watching them deal with becoming parents and getting married.

8. Jules says:

The guest characters in this episode were amazing…
    Ok so Morgan left the USA and flew to Pakistan then India all in the space of a day?? And how many days were Mindy sleeping & dreaming that allowed Danny to fly to India and back before Mindy awoke??

• S. says:

Yeah that was the only thing, I couldn’t figure out the timeline. I mean Danny (and then Morgan) had time to fly to India? Was she asleep the whole time?

9. Heather says:

1) Can someone please explain the end of the episode – the part with the empty metal rack and glass on the table in front of a window??

2) Why didn’t Danny kiss Mindy on the plane? I couldn’t understand what she says when they’re arguing in the rain, and can’t figure out how to see subtitles with Hulu on my TV!!

• sntindall says:

“Can someone please explain the end of the episode – the part with the empty metal rack and glass on the table in front of a window??”

That was confusing to me too!

• Kate says:

I think it was just a sort of generic backdrop for them to air the credits over rather than running them over a 30-second shot of Mindy and Danny kissing. You don’t get to see the slow run of credits at the end of a network episode, so it jumped out as strange.

• Louie says:

I thought it might have been some kind of Inception-esque inside joke. Couldn’t really tell no matter how hard i tried staring at it

• Jane says:

I thought it was a sliding door, aka a reference to the episode as a whole but now I’m not sure…

10. Hannah says:

LOVED IT!!! Can’t even put in words how much I love this episode, so glad Mindy is back!

11. KSM says:

So glad Hulu picked this show up!

12. Rose Koeller says:

I truly hope it doesn’t drag on too long before they get married. We have had our fill of couples living together outside of marriage.