Nightly Show With Larry Wilmore Renewed

The Nightly Show With Larry Wilmore Renewed at Comedy Central

Good Nightly, indeed!

The Nightly Show With Larry Wilmore will be back, EW.com reports.

Per the renewal, the series will air on Comedy Central through the end of 2016.

Wilmore’s lead-in, The Daily Show, returns with new host Trevor Noah on Sept. 28.

Thoughts on the Nightly renewal? Sound off in the comments!

1. Mr. Tran K says:

This makes me happy. Larry Wilmore has done a great job on The Nightly Show when he took over for Colbert. KEEP IT 100

2. Steven says:

Awesome! Larry is hilarious.

3. m3rcnate says:

This show has one critical problem that turns me off to it; Everything is a joke. What Stewart and Oliver did/do so fantastically is put jokes into real news stories so you both laugh and are informed.
    But Larry’s show has three acts, the opening act is Larry talking at his desk, which is typically pretty good. The second act is one of his writers or his EP doing basically a skit with him, they are almost always unfunny and complete garbage. What’s worse they are time wasters.
    Onto act three, the round table. In concept it would be great, but it is not. Act 2 ate up so much time that the round table is only 6 minutes long at best, meaning even if they talk about things seriously they can only scratch the surface, and what the public needs (and loves from guys like John Oliver) is in depth break downs of the news.
    Lastly, my biggest problem with Act 3 is the round table cast are almost always his writers (cause they most likely can’t find anyone else to book) and a comedian. Why is that bad? Because they make EVERYthing into a joke. Everything is the most typical joke you could imagine. Larry brings up a serious discussion point or topic from a news story and then its 4 minutes of joking around not actually saying anything of any importance.
    How do they fix this? Cut the second act, book real people who can discuss the shows topics with knowledge and experience on the topic for the round table. Have the round table be the 2nd and 3rd act so 10+ minutes goes to the round table. Try your best to not put your writers on the round table, or comedians unless they have a serious POV that adds to the discussion in a meaningful way.
    I get that it is a comedy show, but 21 minutes of joking around about serious topics and not going into depth at ALL on those topics (unlike Stewart and Oliver who did/do) isn’t worth 30 minutes of my life a night. A round table of nobodies cracking lame empty stereotypical jokes isn’t worth my time. And the dumb skits that do NOT hold up compared to Stewart’s skits is not worth my time.

• DavidJ says:

I don’t have as much of a problem with the current format or tone, but I do agree it would be nice to see Wilmore having more serious conversations at times with guests, or delving a bit more deeply and seriously into a topic.

Although I think Oliver kind of has the same problem with his show. No matter how serious the story or topic, he always feels the need to inject a goofy example or reference every 20 seconds or so for a laugh, as if he has to meet a certain quota every week. Instead of just fitting the jokes in naturally when they feel appropriate.

• Its comedy guys not NPR or PBS….its not supposed to be serious….and its not supposed to be the Daily Show. What Larry and John because Trevor will bomb like its nobody’s business. He will be following their format and not the serous news and comedy format of Jon Stewart (this is confirmed by Noah himself).

• Sheila says:

I completely agree. The middle bit with some staff member acting like a moron is a complete waste. I really like Larry, but I can’t watch after his monologue.

4. DavidJ says:

Cool news. While it’s not quite the must-see show the Daily Show and Colbert used to be, it’s still improved quite a bit since it started and can often be just as sharp and clever.

5. Ron says:

I gave up on this show after the second week. It was awful. I came back about a month ago to see if it had improved. I thought it had definitely improved, and I was happy to see that. But after watching it for a week, while I did think it was better than it was in the beginning, I still grew very bored and frustrated with this show, and gave it up again. I just don’t find it as intelligent as The Daily Show or The Colbert Report was (or as Last Week Tonight is). And when he has his writers on–which is every show–it becomes quite annoying because they constantly make unfunny jokes about serious things. Obviously joking about serious things is fine, but the jokes need to actually be funny (a la Stewart, Colbert, and Oliver), and the jokes shouldn’t drown out an actual message, but an actual message very rarely comes through on Wilmore’s show. It become quite obvious that the people he gets (i.e., his writers) aren’t really equipped to talk about heavy, serious topics. Also, I may be biased against TNS because I’ve never found Wilmore that funny anyway, even when he was on TDS. Okay, rant over. I’m glad it was renewed for the people who enjoy his show.

6. Awful voice, not attractive, not funny. Trevor Noah — attractive, nice voice, hope he’s funny or CC is going down.

7. Miranda says:

As much as I like Larry Wilmore, this show is just not particularly funny and the format doesn’t help. Having random actors and comedians for a roundtable discussion is not working for it. The opportunities for genuine comedy in that section are very low.

8. Harry Nutz says:

First things first…..he is about as black as Joe Biden but uses his skin color for the image. His voice is as black as Norbits. His white Drew Carey look is not Black but very white, he’s Not funny what so ever! He spends more time with being a racist or talking about race than anything. I hardly ever watch this crap but when I do, he is always bashing FOX or talking about race. CC you don’t need another obama leg humper nor a race baiter, you need quality comedy…….Oh and by the way…the Drew Carey look was so 10-15+ years ago.
    CC a true believer in affirmative action. I’m sure you had to renew because if you didn’t?? You would be racist!!

9. DEREK chambers says:

Larry does do a great job as host of the show, however it would be refreshing if at least one night a week the first 10 minutes were not filled with racist overtones. Racism does goes both ways and a good portion of the show generally shows distain for non blacks. I understand why the point needs to be made but every day sounds the same just with new guests.

10. Danny says:

I like larry when he made his appearances before bot now that he had his own show not so much..

The show is always about race..i mean every day,i dont live in the usa and im not a racist but this is too much,even the guests are mostly african american but that is not a problem since they r guests and human beings but the subject is always about race!!