Fall TV Preview
Fall TV Best Worst Shows

New Fall TV Shows: The TVLine Staff Share Its Picks... and Passes

Between now and November, broadcast TV will dangle 22 new shows in front of your DVR. And while TVLine has endeavored to illuminate you with First Impressions, sneak peeks and other forms of preview content, sometimes you just want to hear what’s worth sampling and what’s ripe for skipping.

At press time, full pilots had yet to be made available for ABC’s The Muppets and Wicked City, NBC’s Best Time Ever With Neil Patrick Harris (which airs live) or the first standalone episode of NBC’s Chicago Med. With that said, six TVLine editors went ahead and cut to the chase to suggest three freshman shows that are at the top of the class and one (perhaps) fated to flunk.

See what we have to say, then share your own game plan for TV’s new class.

1. Jennifer says:

Conflicting views on a couple of shows. Not sure now … was going to pass on Angel from Hell, but now I may give it a chance. Same with Crazy Ex Girlfriend. Still hoping Code Black is good.

2. Brian says:

I’m rooting hard for The Muppets.

3. Drew says:

Ryan Murphy knows how to sell ideas, but doesn’t have a clue when it comes to actually producing a series. I don’t get how his shows keep getting produced.

4. What Scream Queens needs is to find a way to feature other cinematic scream queens, like Heather Langenkamp from Elm Street.

5. Elf says:

Every fall I tell myself that I watch too much TV already and that I do not need to add anything to my DVR. But then ABC had to come along and give us The Muppets! Damn you, ABC, I’m making an exception for you and you’d better not let me down!

6. prish says:

The husband, still, misses Nash Bridges, so I guess we’ll give Blood and Oil a try. Please, let it be about story.

7. Dean says:

As for code black unless its as gratifying as some people say I feel the era of med dramas is past. With house gone and with Grey’s not what it used to be i dunno.

8. Boiler says:

Amazingly agree with all skips. For a couple reasons won’t touch Code Black, Crazy Ex GF(or anything CW), Grandfathered and Super Girl and a couple others. Would guess people will tire of Muppets and I hope the Jane Lynch comedy does well. Doubt NPH’s show will last long either

• Et al. says:

You’re missing out by ignoring CW. They have some awesome shows.

• Boiler says:

Really?? They cancelled one show that performed better than at least 3 others. The only one with decent ratings is Flash

• brandydanforth81 says:

The only shows that performed worse than HoD were Reign & Messengers & Messengers was cancelled too.Jane,The 100 did better than HoD so no HoD didn’t perform better than 3 shows,HoD had enough episodes for syndication,a proper ending,didn’t do as well as internationally as Reign,BatB & didn’t have Janes great critical acclaim.Its been months,get over it,Anyone expecting a show getting 0.2-0.3 in late season three to go past season 4 even on CW,is delusional HoD only got the s4 cause if Betflux deal demands four seasons,syndication & Pedowitz belief in giving proper ending to shows with (seemingly)3 or more seasons.

• brandydanforth81 says:

@Boiler then quit whining about Dixie e vrey week and yes Jane did better-4 0.6s HoD 0.To prove Jane did do better than Dixie look at either tvbtm tvbythenumvers CW cancel/renewal index or tvseriresfinales CW index.Pkus as I also said Jane is a crtical darkng,HoD never was.

• brandydanforth81 says:

Tvseriresfinales aug 9 CW index
          hoD 0.41
          Reign. 0.39
          Jane 0.48
          Messengers 0.22
          March 21 tvbtm
          Reign. 0.56
          HoD 0.61
          Jane 0.79
          So good luck trying to keep saying HoD did better than Jane or 3 shows when these prove the only shows HoD outperformed were Reign( barely looking at these numbers),Messengers Cedric’s Barber Battle

• Temperance says:

Well, one, the ‘ratings’ are mostly imaginary these days, but even if they were 2) so what? Most Americans have pathetic taste in TV. If a show is good, it’s still go if no one watches it. And as we’ve seen, universe-level garbage like Survivor and The Bachelor actually have good ratings. If that’s not a dismissal of the ‘ratings=quality’ fallacy, I’m not sure what is.

• Boiler says:

Thanks Temperance!! And Brandi, you may or may not be right but CW has to be nervous that a 4th year show they cancelled and performed fairly conistently,is in the ballpark(is that OK?) with renewed shows that generally drop after the 1st year. Jane isn’t a virgin anymore so what happens there. Doesn’t matter what critics think of actress

• LT says:

TRUTH. I watch more on The CW than any other network. They’ve made great strides and quality and I wouldn’t rule them out.

• Steven says:

The Flash, iZombie, The 100, and Jane the Virgin are all great and utterly unique shows. Give them a chance.

9. Sarah says:

I almost always agree with Matt Webb Mitovich. I’m glad to see his picks mirror mine. I was sure I was the only one who thought “Life in Pieces” looked terrible.

10. Ellinas1978 says:

So this is just based on the pilots? A pilot we can all invest in. Not a big deal. This would be of more value if it was based on a couple of episodes.

11. Mr. Tran K says:

Not 100% sure about what the critics pick on the new shows to watch and skip so here’s my opinion: three shows to watch – Supergirl, Blindspot and The Player and the one to skip – Rosewood.

• Temperance says:

Rosewood was horrible. I just caught the first Gotham of the second season, and it was AWESOME. I really liked the Blindspot pilot, and the Supergirl pilot was really charming (much better than the lame promos).

12. CJ says:

Is scream queens any good not a lot of buzz

13. eric7740 says:

In no particular order, these are the new shows I’m excited about and plan to watch:
    Scream Queens
    Quantico
    Grandfathered
    The Grinder
    AHS: Hotel

14. Marco says:

All this talk of Scream Queens being ‘a consolation for people who were disappointed that the Coven spinoff never happened’ makes me cringe. Coven was unspeakably awful, and if this is supposed to be in the same vein, it’s going to be televised garbage from the get-go, and not from season 3 onwards like Glee and arguably AHS.

15. DCL30 says:

Not touching Scream queens with a ten feet pole. It’s gonna be a typical RM show. 1st few episodes good and rest will go down the drain. Why get invested into a show when you know you will end up being utterly disappointed. He can cast all the names he want but in the end it will not matter as it will lack everything that makes a good show good. He really should stick to mini series or TV movies or just retire. Quantico looks great, so does Code black. Supergirl, I saw pilot and was not impressed at all. Will give it a go but am not keeping my hopes up.

• Lisa says:

Usually, if I’m unsure of a show, I’ll watch it on demand, perhaps after the first few episodes have already aired. I don’t DVR a show unless I’m pretty sure it’s something I will like.

16. Et al. says:

How come I had no idea that Crazy Ex had a musical component? I feel like I’ve seen 100 adds for it. Maybe they’re hiding the fact or maybe it just escaped me. Will definitely check it out now. I love musicals.

• Stacy says:

Oh my gosh – go find the trailer on YouTube. I found myself singing the song at work…. My coworker asked me, “Did you just sing something about a pretzel?”

17. Julio says:

I’m going to watch Supergirl, Blindspot and Quantico and I’m going to skip Rosewood

18. DL says:

Surprised no one had anything to say one way or the other about Blindspot. Guess it didn’t make much of an impression.

19. Stacy says:

Angel from Hell and Life in Pieces both look *terrible*. The Grinder is my bet on a fall hit. I’ll probably give each of the following a shot: Grandfathered, Blindspot, The Player, Code Black, and Crazy Ex GF.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Totally agree on Angel From Hell and Life in Pieces. Both of CBS’ new sitcoms are downright terrible and we hope that 2 Broke Girls, Mike & Molly and even The Odd Couple will be back at least until the New Year.

20. Maria says:

Nope. Not interested. Most new shows end up cancelled these days, so why bother? I’ll stick to my old favorites.

• LT says:

If you didn’t give your shows a try…they wouldn’t be your “old favorites”. Sooooo, try something new so it can join your roster.

21. brandydanforth81 says:

I’ll watch Scream Queens ,give Super Girl& Crazy Ex Girlfriend a try

22. Lafurel says:

I enjoyed the conflicting reviews.

23. Rick Katze says:

Quantico and Blindfold will be looked at. After that, who knows. But my cable box will be busy recording stuff.

24. jennie says:

This was a really fun feature. Loved seeing the differences of opinion. Will there be a cable version?

25. Elizabeth says:

Can’t wait to check out The Muppets, Scream Queens, and Supergirl. I am curious about Quantico and I want to like Blood & Oil despite what the reviews say.

26. 1. The Muppet Show
    2. BlindSpot
    3. Grandfathered

ABC – Con’t to shove telenovelas (Soap Drama) ..
    CBS – Supergirl will b ok, better than Limitless. POI is my fav.
    NBC- Success.The Player and Chicago Med . Not to mention my #2 BlindSpot.
    FOX- ????

27. Jooshua says:

“Charming Psych alum Maggie Lawson deserves this hit..” LOVE Maggie Lawson and all the greatness that is Psych and it’s cast! They deserve the best.

28. IMHO says:

Thanks for the heads up TVLine Team !
    I’m looking forward to Quantico and Scream Queens

29. Alice says:

Interesting that Kim Root, who described Cersei’s rape in Game of Thrones as “hot”, is passing on Dr. Ken because she’s offended by the fat jokes.

30. Joey says:

The Quantico promos look so dumb. I’m all for the wild action political thriller, and I’m all for suspending my belief when it comes to watching these shows that want to come off as realistic (I’m a huge 24 fan, which requires A LOT of suspension of belief). The problem with Quantico is that it makes no sense, based on the promos. I can’t just accept that the FBI would let a terrorist into its recruits. I can’t accept that the FBI is going to let all of their damn recruits have sex with each other like they’re rabbits. Realistically, all of those people would be fired and working at a McDonalds if that happened. If they discovered one of their applicants was a terrorist, that person would be deep underground in an instant. They’d never make it beyond a background check. Maybe the constant sex, which the commercials seem to use as the only reason to watch the show, isn’t that big in the actual show. Or maybe ABC got a pretty decent sounding show, but decided it wasn’t Shondaland enough, so they added some unbelievable crap to try and get more women to watch. I don’t know. Either way, Quantico looks dumb and I really doubt it’ll last. They’re also banking way too much on Priyanka Chopra being some big name that the average viewer will recognize immediately and want to see. That isn’t the case. Most people will see those commercials and wonder who the heck she is.

31. Jared says:

Yes! The article I’ve been waiting for..lol

32. Cas says:

I can’t say no to Jamie Lee Curtis and Emma Roberts. Although I may say no to this years AHS because I really enjoyed Emma in those.

33. BenM says:

My three to watch:
    1) muppets
    2) Quantico
    3) grinder

34. Diz says:

Thanks TVLine! This helps me figure out my schedule of shows & what may deserve a spot on my always loaded dvr.

35. Im still not sure about Quantico, and Code Black, i really need something to replace the hole left from ER, im not a fan of Shondaland and Grey, and The Muppets are awesome, the shows in the other networks at the same time, i feel sad for them….wait NCIS in in CBS… OK this is gonna be good, who will reign the 8;00 pm?

36. Sims says:

I couldn’t see what anyone advised Skipping because of a hideous Ad that couldn’t be removed or closed. It’s been happening frequently here on TVLine. Disappointing.

37. Ian Barber says:

Supergirl and Scream Queens are the only ones that interest me (though if Scream Queens turns out to be just a bunch of mean people trying to out-beotch each other like Coven was, then I probably won’t continue with it).

38. Zainan Muhammed says:

Shows I might check out:
    1. ScreamQueens
    2. Limitless
    3. The Grinder
    4. Wicked City
    5. Angel from hell
    Shows I’m not going to watch:
    1. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
    2. Rosewood
    3. Life In Pieces

39. T says:

The three shows I have been looking forward to in order: Muppets, Grinder and Grandfathered. Beyond that might watch Quantico and Code Black and possibly Crazy Ex but most stuff really has no appeal to me. I have waited my whole life for Kermit to not be with Piggy- so love that! Now put Rob Lowe in anything and I will watch it . John Stamos I will expect a little more out of in the show but all indications are it will be good. Guess I didn’t need to really add much more to my list of shows I DVR so those will suffice.

40. Kaley says:

The TV landscape is so large so you really have to be selective. I’m most excited for Scream Queens and I’m so happy that TV Line have enjoyed it. I’m going to give Quantico a shot too, I’m a huge Scandal and Alias fan so I feel like this is right up my street. As for the rest theres nothing I really care for, I was going to check out Crazy Ex-Girlfriend but I hate musicals so I’m really unsure. I can’t wait for Jessica Jones on Netflix too!

41. misery chick says:

YOU HAD ME AT KYLE BORNHEIMER…

42. S says:

I will support a fellow Indian by giving Quantico a try. But I’m most excited about Supergirl

43. Ally Oop says:

My top picks for fall:
    Quantico – The premise, promos and cast looks amazing. And I’ve seen several of Priyanka Chopra’s Bollywood films so I was excited to see she has the lead in this.
    Blood & Oil – Another new show with a premise, promos and cast which looks amazing. I love the Dakota setting too.
    Code Black – This drama has such an ER vibe to it and that’s really intriguing, as is the cost.
    Honourable Mentions: Grandfathered and new Canadian dramas This Life and The Romeo Section.
    —-
    Shows I have zero interest in:
    Rosewood, The Grinder and Dr. Ken

44. Sharon says:

I’m sticking with what’s working for me – Big Bang Theory, Mike & Molly, Supernatural, Modern Family. I hate to start watching shows and then just when I get hooked the show gets cancelled, like Longmire. But I heard that new episodes are going to air on ? Netflix ?

45. bev thomas says: