Fall TV Preview

Gotham Sneak Peek: Barbara Has Lee's Number — Even From Behind Bars!

I plan to write much more about this at a near-future date, having spent Thursday on the Gotham set and now seen the first three episodes of Season 2, but one of the sophomore run’s great pleasures is the “rebirth” of Erin Richards’ Barbara Kean as a highly entertaining femme fatale.

We’ve seen this before with freshman shows — there’s always that one character (coughLaurelcough) who doesn’t quite “click,” until an organic series of events (or blatant writer intervention) steer him or her into a fresh direction.

But again, there’s more on that to come, built off my on-set Q&A with Richards, so I won’t use up all of my good material here. Instead, just check out the above sneak peek from the Fox’s drama’s Monday, Sept. 21 season premiere, in which Barbara has used her considerable wiles to “call” in a favor over at Arkham.

Want more scoop on Gotham, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Barbara Keane is one “naughty” girl and who doesn’t.

2. Allen says:

I am glad Gotham admitted their mistakes and are taking steps to fix them instead of sticking to their guns like the writers over at the CW when it comes to Laurel. They did so much damage to her character and now they’re just starting to fix to it when it may be too late.

• Zainan Muhammed says:

I totally agree with you I didn’t like Barbara that much in the first few episodes but then after her and Jim broke up I absolutely fell in love with her.
      I also agree with you on Laurel didn’t like her at all but this past season 3 she kind of warmed up to me but I still find it hard to fully like her

• Paria says:

Your obsession with laurel continues……even when the topic isn’t laurel.

3. Joey Padron says:

Good clip from season premiere. Can’t wait to watch new season next week and read about your on set of show article for season 2 Matt.

4. Blah says:

Good thing arrows writers only had to do a complete character assassination on their lead character and remove him from the picture in order to make her character work.

What’s funny is Oliver being in a happy long term relationship with someone else (both Sara and felicity) has been the only thing that makes laurel bareable at this point.

Happy to see Gotham starting to embrace the parts of season 1 that worked. Crazy Barbra. A well meaning but overwhelmed Everyman Jim Gordon, Selina and possibly the best on screen version of Bruce Wayne so far. Hopefully season 2 is where the show finds its feet

5. Hey, Matt, get any grief for the shade you just threw? Ouch.
    That being said, if I wasn’t busy Monday nights, I’d totally be watching Gotham this season. It looks like I gave up on it too early (not because of Barbara, I just wasn’t feeling the structure in the first couple eps).