Does 'Colbert' Beat Colbert? Was Pats Party Overinflated? How Did Last Ship Fit? Keep Sex-y Dan? And More Qs

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Masters of Sex, The Last Ship, The Late Show With Stephen Colbert, Under the Dome and Top Model!

1 | Was Sunday’s wedding-themed, family-focused Ray Donovan the best episode of the show’s entire run? We’ll go ahead and answer that one for you: Yes. Yes, it was.

2 | Do any Masters of Sex fans have a genius research idea that will keep Josh Charles’ Dan in town longer? (Because we need him to stay.) Also, when will Bill realize that palling around with his son’s bully is not cool?

20Qs-LastShip3 | Is such a stretch of the Mississippi River deep enough to accommodate The Last Ship‘s Navy destroyer? And to echo many a TVLine reader: Wouldn’t Dr. Rachel Scott aka Savior of the Free World have had a bodyguard/escort, and wouldn’t a hotel hosting POTUS employ better security?

4 | If you’re a Strain hero tasked with turning Red Hook’s power back on, wouldn’t you just aim all the big levers toward the most logical setting? Do you really need to rifle through a dusty user manual? Also, wasn’t it entirely expected that Nikki would show up mid-skirmish to score her first slay?

5 | It’s OK if we delete an entire unwatched season of Bachelor in Paradise, right?

6 | What in 1950s-era tarnation was So You Think You Can Dance judge Nigel Lythgoe rambling about when he said that two male contestants cannot “feel comfortable” dancing together in an emotional, contemporary-style piece?

7 | Switched at Birth fans, did it irk you how little Lily was in the episode, considering it was really her decision whether or not to keep the baby?

Zoo CBS8 | Our French is admittedly a little rusty, CBS — what were the Zoo subtitles that got obstructed by your Limitless ad? Also, how can CGI give us, say, a giant snowman stomping around Storybrooke, yet not convince us that a leopard is in the same room as James Wolk?

9 | Is there a weirder promo on TV right now than The Rachael Ray Show‘s giant hot dog and hamburger running toward each other on the beach?

10 | Does Whoopi’s View contract guarantee her the last — and mostly unchallenged — word on every single topic?

11 | Wasn’t it convenient that Extant‘s Molly “saw” who shot JD via the exact same third-person camera angles and edits that the show’s director used when filming that scene? Extant CBSAnd who suspects that, in any possible Season 3, Goran Visnjic aka John will play TAALR? (Speaking of which: Wouldn’t this coffee shop signage be backwards to the people approaching from outside?)

12 | Is there only one toilet in the entire America’s Next Top Model house? If not, how the heck did Mamé wind up feeling like she had every right to bust in to the bathroom in the middle of Hadassah’s shower?

13 | Big Brother fans, how badly did you want Austin’s girlfriend back home to be the one who sent him a video message?Under the Dome Norrie Wig

14 | Really, Under the Dome? You couldn’t give Norrie a better time-jump wig than this?

15 | Does Graceland make you feel silly for ever grumbling about the bad roommate(s) you once had? These people shoot and slug each other!

16 | Granted it’s still very early, but anyone else feeling like The Colbert Report‘s “Stephen Colbert” > The Late Show‘s Stephen Colbert?20Qs-Lincoln

17 | That automobile manufacturer must be backing up trucks full of money to Matthew McConaughey’s beach bungalow, right?

18 | Given everything that transpired over the past eight months, did the New England Patriots’ over-the-top NFL Kickoff pre-game revelry/celebration make you uncomfortable?

Hit the comments with your answers and any other questions you care to share!

1. tallsy says:

5. Tanner/Jade were great.
    15. Just “accidentally” blow Briggs’ cover and all their problems will be solved.

2. Kvivik says:

I think it’s way too early to make a judgement on Stephen Colbert and his performance between the 2 shows.

• Wordsmith says:

I also think that “Stephen Colbert” took a ludicrous amount of preparation and focus to maintain, which is part of the reason that he eventually had to stop Colbert Report and move on to something more sustainable.

• Laura says:

Agreed. He’s obviously still nervous and trying to find his rhythm. Comparisons this early on really aren’t fair….give him a month or so.

• misery chick says:

I think it’s kinda sweet that he’s visibly nervous 😁 Understandable too, considering since he just has to ‘be’ and not use his usual tics, tricks, etc. Love him no matter whom he is 😍

• Timmah says:

Maybe, but I doubt the CBS suits are going to let him do anything really innovative that strays too far from the Late Show formula. This isn’t cable. They like safe, cookie-cutter shows.

• pdx says:

The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson which was admittedly at a later time slot was still on CBS and there was nothing safe or cookie cutter about his brilliant show.

• S. says:

They’ll let him do whatever it’ll take to beat the Tonight Show. I don’t think they paid for Stephen Colbert to paint by numbers here. They know people are tuning in his wit so they better get it. If they want him to pimp a sponsor on air like they did back in the day, he can be counted on to do it in a way that’s entertaining. I can see network meddling for ad presentation, but that’s where I think it is more of an issue and he still owns it.

3. Bwhit says:

15) I don’t think the shooting or slugging would have happened if Briggs would just be honest with the house. It’s not like they are going to run to their respective agencies and report him, given the fact that all of them have done something that could get their badges taken away or thrown in prison (looking at you Paige!)
    18) It did because at the end of the day it is just a game.

• tallsy says:

Also, if Briggs had told them the plan. They could’ve explained to the doofus all the problems with it.

• Bwhit says:

Exactly! Plus I find it pretty awful that Briggs used Mike’s near death and addiction issues to further his agenda of not becoming the ‘sin eater’. Mike trusted him and credited Briggs with saving him twice, he could have told SOMEONE!

4. A fan of TV says:

Like a small man with a fast car, the Pats celebration felt like they were overcompensating for something. Like a national anthem on a country’s birthday, the party was going the distance to indoctrinate their fans even further into how great it is to be a Pats fan. They need to reinforce this now that their QB will probably get booed, the team will get slagged, for every away game on the sked this year.

5. Mr. Tran K says:

Stephen Colbert has done a great job as the new host of The Late Show even though I haven’t watch The Colbert Report ever since I tune in for his final episode on Comedy Central. As for the Patriots, this whole deflate-gate debacle just won’t go away not even Tom Brady. I really hope that New England won’t repeat as champs and one other team is about to play spoiler.

6. Rebecca says:

The Patriots banner raising ceremony was a big F U to the league and I loved every single second of it! Go Patriots!

7. DavidJ says:

I’ll take Colbert any way I can get him, but yeah I do think I’ll always prefer the character he played on the Colbert Report. Along with the brilliant political satire and much heavier focus on the issues of the day. Not to mention great bits like the Threat Down, Tip of the Hat, Cheating Death, etc…

Even though it’s very much the same style of humor, you get the sense he just can’t really cut loose anymore like he used to, and needs to be much more “middle of the road.”

• Becky says:

Give him time. I knew everything with Stephen Colbert was going to be o.k. in the first show, when he said early on, “Sadly, Civil Rights won the pennant that year, but racism won the World Series”. This after pointing out the pennant his mother got when attending Martin Luther’s famous speech in D.C. I thought, “Did he just say that?’ It was funny, but very political, and no one on late night network TV would say that. Not one of them. It’s going to be fine. He’ll end up very political and topical. But, he’ll also get to do a lot of other things.

8. Wordsmith says:

4) Regarding turning the power back on in Strain’s Red Hook, I’m no expert, but I’d imagine that you might fry the whole system (or yourself) if you throw the levers in the wrong order.

9. Alice says:

Thank you for that I thought I was the only one annoyed with those ads and that wasn’t the only time during the show either.

10. Ellinas1978 says:

1. No it wasn’t. Far from it.
    2. It’s all temporary anyway, right? Unless they change that part of the story all together.
    16. Yes, he’s too uncomfortable in his new role. Will give it at least 3 months before checking back in with him.
    18. What else did you expect them to do?

11. 2) I want him to stay so much
    7) OMG YES

12. Shar says:

Re # 10 – I suspect her contract must say that, just like Jon Hamm’s must have read that sometime, during each episode, someone had to tell him how handsome he is. Yes, it was a thing and I have friends who used it for a drinking game.

• sanchopanza says:

It appears to be a function of her role as moderator. They have to have a process to close the conversation and move into another topic – since they have an agenda of topics – and likewise into the commercial breaks.Notice that it was the same with Meredith Viera.

• misery chick says:

Meredith Viera had/has class and she was CIVIL to her fellow panelists; hell, she was even engaging with them when they ‘dared’ to express a (wait for it…) DIFFERING opinion. Whoopi is rude, bitter, cynical and SO OVER IT. ABC needs to buy her out of her contract, no matter how $$$$, get her out of there and make Joy the moderator. With WG there, the show will implode, no matter who else the fire/hire…

13. Colleen says:

I haven’t seen enough of Late Show Stephen Colbert to determine if I like him more or less than Colbert Report Stephen Colbert, but I think he did a fantastic job with last night’s Joe Biden interview.

14. Wordsmith says:

Not sure how deep the Mississippi is between St. Louis and New Orleans, but as I understand it, a Navy Destroyer would need at least 30-35 ft of water.

15. rowan77 says:

You’re comparing a fictional character “Stephen Colbert” whose personality was altered and honed for maximum comical effect to the actual, real Stephen Colbert who cannot change his personality. You just miss the blowhard, but if “Stephen Colbert” was real, you wouldn’t have laughed as much.

16. Rick Katze says:

18. Hell, NO! They could have shown a picture of the Commish with the question “Where is he?” That would have been over the top.

17. Lizzie says:

18. You actually saw very little of the Pats pre-game celebration. Most of it what you saw was done by the NFL. Not the Pats. They did their own celebration that was not show, much to the dislike of Patriots fans. That they organized by the team itself without help from the NFL.

18. m3rcnate says:

3) I actually don’t know if the Last Ship Destroyer would or wouldn’t be able to go in the Mississippi River. The show was particular about depth and where the ship could and couldn’t go the past few episodes so it would be unusual if they just threw that out the window for the Mississippi River. Lol, yeah, it was obvious the show needed Dr. Rachel Scott to get shot, and per most TV wrote the situation quite poorly. All they had to write to add credibility to the scene was the Captain asking “Where is your body guard?” and her say “I forced him to go enjoy the festivities, I’ll be fine” and this plot hole would be fixed. Heck in next seasons premier they could still fix it (if they put up where they left off) with the Captain demanding answers as to how the shooter got past security and him get told one of the posted security personnel was killed by the shooter with a blunt object.

4) I can take that Strain scene two different ways, she is quite a smart woman so she should know to just turn all the big levers. However at the same time she could be that certain type of OCD scientist who goes straight to the instruction manual because that is “what you are supposed to do”.

5) Pretty much. Of course they showed the drama 90% over the relationships that were blooming which sucks…because Carly and Kirk seemed really cute, as did Jade and Tanner who I will be honest, I believe have a better shot at actually lasting than 99% of Bachelor and Bachelorette “winners”. Unlike on the Bachelor/ette where you only see each other when on dates, BIP you are with each other all day and all night. So much like on The Real World they spend 1-2 months together all day and night, if the couple can handle being in the real world together coming out of that, then they can work long term. But no it was not worth all the hours it used, and the after show was not very good at all.

15) Haven’t had a bad roommate but I mean…at least the show is TRYING to write the wrongs of its last season. They are trying to fix Paige (borderline impossible), they are writing the characters so they realize that they are basically just as bad as the bad guys (teaser for next weeks ep is all about that)…so the writers are clearly trying to fix issues. IF the show gets another season I would really like to see a new cast member get added, female or male, gay or straight, I don’t really care. Could be a greenhorn or a experienced agent (for w/e agency). Overall I would like to see the tone return to the S1 tone which is to say after this dark season where the characters are holding on by a thread, the characters get back to being a family, to having southern-Cali fun (surfing, eating at a bar, etc) and working on cool cases that they are working on legally, with permission and are staying the good guys while doing so.

16) I don’t know how to read Stephen Colbert yet on TLLS. So far I don’t find anything in particular to be great, unlike James Cordon who I love for bring the “couch” style of talk show (Graham Norton inspired) with multiple celebs on it. It has lead to some great couches of guests and it is way more fun to watch. I am happy Stephen is interviewing people like Elon Musk and the Uber creator but the format is bad for anything but skin deep conversation. You see just 5 minutes with them and then a line pop up that says “Go online to see the full interview”. If you are going to have smart guests on, don’t do your “skit” after the first commercials (oreos/trump, the genghis khan hat) and give the guests more air time.

18) Screw the Patriots (for many reasons).

19. Angela says:

#5: Uhhh, yeah, I’d say that’s more than okay :p.
    #16: I’m enjoying both. I actually think there’s been quite a few snippets of “Colbert” sneaking into the “Late Show”, but even with that, I’ve been enjoying seeing Stephen out of character, too-last night’s conversation with Joe Biden was wonderful.
    Like you note, it’s early. Every show has its bumpy starts. But I think he’s found a few angles that seem to work already (the Biden conversation, singing with musicians, etc.), and I think those are angles that could really make his show stand out. I’m looking forward to seeing what else he can do.

20. C. says:

7) Of course it did! It was not a bad episode (though a bit too “afterschool special” to my taste) and Toby’s emotional journey was touching, but how could they think it was okay to show so little of Lily’s struggle to make a decision? I get that this show centers around Bay, Daphne and their close family but still, that was a weird choice…

21. mtmslg says:

How secure is the Red Hook warehouse on The Strain when the door opens out yet the occupants continue to bar the entrance from the inside??????

• Wordsmith says:

A bar on the door work in either direction, assuming the brackets securing it are sturdy enough. I’d be more worried about how easy it would be to break in when nobody is left behind to bar the door after people exit.

22. amysue4772 says:

15. Not to mention that one of them tried to have another one of them killed.

23. cp1945 says:

Last night’s interview with Joe Biden was riveting TV. The empathy between those 2 men was palpable. As long as he makes time for long form interviews like this, I’ll be watching every night.

24. Katie says:

#8 and also, am I the only one who noticed that the totally adorable baby leopard was not a leopard but a baby serval??

25. JK says:

I dislike the Bachelor/ette so much, but Bachelor in Paradise and After Paradise was something I couldn’t get enough of. So much crazy made it so good to watch.

And I am so hoping Josh Charles makes his way back to Masters of Sex. He & Lizzy have great on-screen chemistry, such a comfortable relationship to watch.

26. Luke says:

a Navy destroyer would need about twenty five feet at the keel or furthest point under water. Assuming normal weather conditions the Mississippi would be navigable to at least Vicksburg MS and probably all the way to St. Louis for most of the summer months.

27. Lizo says:

About the subtitles, ABC Family is really bad with them too, putting banner ads right on top of the ASL subtitles during Switched at Birth

28. A.B. says:

1. It was too happy of a scene for the show. I was waiting for something bad to happen. Who’s going to die, who’s going to jail, is Bunchys new wife going to steal his money?

29. Celeste says:

Re: The Last Ship
    The Mississippi River’s deepest section is between Governor Nicholls Wharf and Algiers Point in New Orleans where it is 200 feet deep. Last April there were 5 Ships and a Coast Guard Cutter in New Orleans for Navy Week. So, yes, Navy Ships CAN go on the Mississippi. But, not everywhere on the Mississippi River.

30. Another question RE Graceland. Are we to believe that DEA agent Paige expected Martun to walk free and not be charged for intent?

31. DanielleZ says:

#1 Could not agree more about last Sunday’s episode of Ray Donovan. My sentiments exactly.

32. Maxsmom says:

6. Nigel is a genuine Homophobe. He doesn’t hate gay people he fears them.

33. Maxsmom says:

12. It is not only possible but likely that the ANTM house would have 1 bathroom for added tension. #TEAMMAME

34. Beth says:

14. OMG That wig! All I could focus on.

35. kb23 says:

2. Can’t stand Dan – will be happy to see him leave!

36. KT of the West says:

Colbert is a master of political parody. To have shown that whole awkward Clooney thing and cut Jeb Bush for “time” was a travesty. More politics and news skewering, even without the “Colbert” of it all would be better than celebrity news. Fallon has that covered.