HBO's Wizard of Lies: First Photo of Robert De Niro and Michelle Pfeiffer as Bernie and Ruth Madoff

Don’t be fooled: This “wizard” is anything but wonderful.

HBO on Thursday released the first photo from its upcoming Wizard of Lies movie, which takes viewers behind the scenes of Bernie Madoff’s legendary Ponzi scheme, including the devastating aftermath for both the victims and the Madoff family.

Michelle Pfeiffer is practically unrecognizable as Ruth, the wife of Robert De Niro‘s Bernie, seen sporting personalized B.L.M. slippers.

Check out the shot below, then drop a comment: Will you be watching?

Wizard Of Lies HBO

1. Joey says:

I’ve been waiting for the first sight of something from this. I just really need a trailer soon!

2. Nice make up. They made Robert De Niro looks *years* older.

3. Christian says:

I’ve missed Michelle Pfeiffer. Where the heck has she been?!

4. pamill says:

After Julianne Moore was nominated for an Oscar a bunch of times, couldn’t win, then for a while didn’t even get the nominations she deserved, she delivered a performance in an HBO film critics raved about and one that garnered her the Emmy-Golden Globe-SAG trifecta. After that, she opted to do studio films she had rarely done before (Carrie, Non-Stop, Mockingjay) and not long after she won that Oscar at last for a tiny little film that may have been much easier to be ignored had she not had all that exposure from the high-profile films and had she not reminded the industry not long before that she really is an awards caliber actress (Game Change).

My point is, hopefully this HBO film will do something similar for Michelle Pfeiffer, one of the most beautiful actresses to ever grace the big screen and also one of the most talented ones. The fact that the Academy had never given her that Oscar she so richly deserves, always bugged me. But let’s just secure the Emmy first…

5. Jon says:

I would love to see this but I don’t want to subscribe to HBO just for it.

• misery chick says:

I’ve actually signed up for HBO, watched a couple of movies that I wanted to see, then cancelled within a couple of days. Just got billed a prorated amount. I never told them my “plan”, I just did it.

I did that a really long time ago, things may be different now. Just recently, my aunt told Comcast up front that she wanted HBO for one month only, and it was fine. If you have a DVR, you could record so many things in a month.

Sounds weird/cheesy, but worth a try…good luck 🍀

6. Kathleen Custodi says:

I definitely will be watching Robert DeNiro as Bernie Madoff on HBO> I believe that he would be a better Madoff than the movie they made for TV with Richard Dreyfuess.

7. RAY TAYLOR says:

I’ll watch anything DeNiro, but how does it compare with the already aired Richard Dreyfuss/Blythe Danner biopic? That was good!