Fall TV Preview
Minority Report Review

Fall TV First Impression: Minority Report

The broadcast networks have more than 20 shows debuting this fall, including a soaring Supergirl, reborn Heroes, reanimated Muppets and sexy Scream Queens. To help you prep, TVLine is offering up First Impressions of the pilots.

Next up on our list….

THE SHOW | Fox’s Minority Report (Mondays at 9/8c, premiering Sept. 21)

THE COMPETITION | ABC’s Dancing With the Stars, CBS’ Scorpion, NBC’s The Voice and The CW’s Jane the Virgin

THE CAST | Meagan Good (Deception), Stark Sands (NYC 22), Nick Zano (2 Broke Girls), Wilmer Valderrama (That ’70s Show), Laura Regan (Mad Men), Li Jun Li (Damages), Daniel London and Zhane Hall

THE SET-UP | In the year 2065 — 11 years after the events of the Tom Cruise movie — the Pre-Cog named Dash escapes isolation in the name of using his visions to assist homicide detective Lara Vega (Good).

RELATED Fall TV Grid 2015: What’s on When? And Versus What?

THE FIRST IMPRESSION | For starters, here’s a thing: Without spoiling the Minority Report movie, its title referenced a discovery made in the course of fighting future crime with the Pre-Cogs’ psychic help. With Precrime investigations long disbanded in 2065, this is thus a wrongly titled TV series, adaptation or not. That said….

Fox’s Minority Report — which went through significant retooling over the summer (for one, casting Zano as Dash’s twin, Arthur, versus having Sands pull double duty) — MinorityReport_NickZanowill likely and perhaps purposely evoke the network’s other genre series about a fish-out-of-water white male who partners with an African-American female cop, and whose secret origin mystifies the casual acquaintance. Good and the boyish looking Sands, though, don’t share the same kind of chemistry as Sleepy Hollow‘s stars, so the Will They/Won’t They element that invariably is part and parcel with such a procedural partnership probably/hopefully won’t come into play.

Sands is fine, if not full of surprises, as TV’s latest iteration of a spectrum-adjacent savant, while Good certainly throws herself into the physical elements of her role, such as when Vega “recreates” crime scenes with holographic gizmos and what not. Valderrama plays Vega’s workplace rival (and apparently ex-lover, as her gal pal reminds us multiple times), while Regan follows in Samantha Morton’s footsteps as lead Pre-Cog Agatha, who disapproves of the twins’ return to society.

The series’ future D.C. is realized nicely, bright and bubbly versus gray and moody, and is rife with next-gen tech and fleeting details like the renamed Red Clouds NFL team and teens preening for “selfie drones.”

The premiere pivots around a patently silly Evil Plan — one you’d sooner expect to find on Zoo (and which, revisiting previous trailers, has been greatly reshot) — and ends with Dash voicing aloud a version of, “So, what’s next?” Given that his “one time only” role in cracking Vega’s latest case was kept well off the books and ultimately was reliant on an assist from his opportunistic twin, viewers are left to wonder that, too.

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE | With no Bradley Cooper-like cameo from Tom Cruise to give this TV adaptation an implicit movie-star endorsement, Minority Report will sink or swim based on word of mouth. Given the sci-fi-er’s bumpy road to fruition, its future is, at best, unpredictable.

RELATED Read First Impressions for CBS’ Limitless, NBC’s The Player, Fox’s The Grinder, ABC’s Quantico, CBS’ Supergirl, NBC’s Blindspot

Watch a trailer for Minority Report, then vote in our poll below.

1. Wordsmith says:

Technically, if the investigations are based solely upon Dash’s visions and not all three siblings’, it is still a “minority report,” right? So the title is still accurate.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Suuuuuuuuuure. :)

• Mike says:

Am I the only person who watched the trailer and felt like they just had to burn off old backgrounds and graphics from the last season of Fringe and Almost Human? It looks like the same show.
        And Fox spent quite a while trying NOT to cancel both only to finally cave to both programs’ low ratings. So why do this yet again? Baffling…

• Delirious says:

Having watched the pilot… Well, I have to correct that – having watched as much as I could tolerate from the pilot, I’m out of the show. I literally couldn’t get thru the whole thing. It feels like a terrible rehashing of several sci-fi shows, with the added precog theme, but without much substance. Terribly bland story-wise, script-wise and visually. It’s gonna take a massive internet 5EP hype for me to go back to watching, tbh…

PS. 5EP (or 5-ep): my theory that shows really get going after the first 5 episodes. The pilot is what they sell to the network(s), the next 2 are the “yeah, we liked it, and we’re ordering it, buuuuut… can you please change these things?” period, and after 4-5 episodes, it really sits into their proper selves. Not to be confused with the midseason boost, where a show really blows up into awesomeness past the equator of the first season, first example that comes to mind being Fringe.

2. sillyemmy says:

Sci fi is not really my bag, so I’ll be watching this solely to feed my giant crush on Stark Sands.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

I’ll pass. The TV version doesn’t live up to the hype than the movie version.

4. meatwad says:

Meagan Good is the reason while i will watch til it is canceled.

5. Ian says:

Ive seen the pilot, and Im not sure if its because Sleepy Hollow’s long lost its head, but I was rather charmed by Minority Report. There’s a chatismatic little show here. Its well balanced between the brightness and fun and hipness, and the darker crime and stakes element. If the narrative manages to stay on a track and never feel aimless, then I see it gaining a good audience.
    But you’re right, Dash isn’t so much sexual as he is robotic and painfully socially awkward, so I’ll be interested to see if he can settle into a romantic chemistry with Good. She’s likely just too much woman for him.

6. John NYC says:

I was on the fence but as I contemplated my TiVo listings I deleted this one just last night. Just no hook for me.

7. JJ says:

Will you do a Scream Queens Fall TV First Impression???

8. h5n1 says:

watched the pilot and it’s an absolute waste of time… good thing it’s on fox, it will get cancelled fast…

9. Dean says:

Given fox’s track record with scifi shows the last few years I give this 1 season max.

10. spindae2 says:

I wasn’t a fan, but after watching the Pilot I build up a connection to the show. I was really invested into the characters and what happened in the past. The visions and visuals are really well done but it is a big question how adding the other twin will work for the show.

11. Captain Average says:

The pilot was just okay, but it as occasionally intriguing enough for me to give it a few weeks to try to win me over.

12. Excluding the X-Files, every Fox show I’ve invested has gone wayside: Dark Angel, Dollhouse, Fringe, Firefly, Terra Nova, Almost Human & the Following. On top of that, I was excited for this, until I saw the previews, it feels like both a made-for-TV retelling & a carbon copy/rip off of Fringe and Almost Human. If Almost Human didn’t fly to their standards, then how and why do they expect Minority Report to do the same. Never do I wish for a show not to air, not anymore, this is one show that shouldn’t have been done, if you ask me.

13. Jim G says:

Fox’s track record with sci-fi has been poor ever since they premiered, when you cancel Alien Nation, a sci-fi show that the critics actually liked, after one season and then bring it back for FIVE made for TV movies, that kind of blows your creditability.
    With 3 exceptions hour long sci-fi\ genre shows on Fox have not lasted over two seasons. The exceptions are X-files, Fringe and Sleepy Hollow.
    Will Minority Report make it past one season, odds are no, based on Fox’s past decisions. Will I watch it, yes to see what it’s like, but the big question is how different will it be from Spielberg’s movie and as well from Philip K. Dick’s original story.

14. Larc says:

Doesn’t sound very promising, but I’ll give it a try since it will be on at the same time as Scorpion, which I gave up on because it totally shatters my suspension of disbelief (sure, the government always sends a bunch of smart kids instead of highly trained operatives to deal with the bad guys in situations critical to the nation).

15. Jared says:

Its ashame that this show looks so dumb and generic because I actually love the cast. But that alone wont be enough to get invested.

16. liame says:

I’m looking forward to seeing this. The race of the characters don’t play a part in why I’m interested. I enjoyed the movie, the plot and the action. I hope the series does the movie justice.

17. Diz says:

I need an article that wraps up all the new shows in a nice bow that says which new shows I should be watching and which ones I can easily pass on. =o)

18. herman1959 says:

I’m inclined to, at least, try this show because I loved Good in Deception and Sands in NYC 22. The fact that the show was given Sleepy Hollow’s original timeslot is weird though.

• nah says:

Not really. Sleepy Hollow was green-lit by the previous head of FOX. The new heads never supported it, but despite that, it did well enough in the ratings that they couldn’t cancel it. So what do they do? They shove it over in the death-slot of Thursday at 9, and put in its place a show that is . . . . VERY similar to Sleepy Hollow. Except this one has their imprimatur on it.

19. Steven Burgas says:

It won’t last a full season. I’ve been saying this since the first trailer.

20. Rece says:

Its a great show yes it deserves another season with a few more star appearances