Judy Carnes Dead

Judy Carne, Laugh-In's 'Sock It to Me!' Girl, Dead at 76

British actress Judy Carne, who perhaps was best known to American audiences for her role as the “Sock it to me!” girl on Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In, died on Sept. 3 after a reported battle with pneumonia. She was 76.

After starting her career in England, Carne made her Stateside TV debut on the 1962 CBS sitcom Fair Exchange, playing an exchange student. She went on to guest-star on such series as Bonanza, The Baileys of Balboa, Gidget, Love on a Rooftop and Big Valley. During this time, she also had a two-year marriage to Burt Reynolds.

As part of the Laugh-In ensemble when the sketch/variety series launched in 1968 (front row, second-from-left in photo above), Carne attained popularity via her “Sock it to me!” catch-phrase, after which she would routinely be doused with water or subject to some other comical indignity.

She left Laugh-In after two seasons, going on to appear on Love, American Style, Gunsmoke and a few other series.

1. Pat says:

Laugh-In was one of my favorite shows in the late ’60s and Judy was the absolute ” Sock It To Me” girl. I will always remember her for this. Rest In Peace, Judy.

2. Rita Swann says:

Sorry to hear about the passing of Judy Carne. Seems that a lot of the good ones go to fast & to soon. She’s now making them laugh in heaven.
    As I close may u rest in peace!!!!

3. JB says:

Too bad all she’s remembered for is Laugh In…she was a good actress who did many of the hit series in the 60s.

She was also married to Bur tReynolds….

RIP

4. HAP says:

I knew she was married to Burt Reynolds for a few years. However, in researching her upon learning of her death, I was surprised to learn that Judy Carne was a stage name, as she was born Joyce Audrey Botterill.

5. demographically insignificant says:

So sad! Rest in peace Judy! My sympathies to her family!

6. Nero tTVfiddler says:

Laugh-In was perhaps the most ‘of it’s time’ television show in the history of television. It was ground breaking, cutting edge, and then gone. But during the time it aired, from late 60’s to early 70’s, it made an indelible mark of success, and its cast had much to do with that, including the lovely Judy Carne.

I was too young to remember ‘Love on a Rooftop’, and it was not syndicated, so all I have to remember her by is Laugh-In and all those ‘Sock it to me’ moments. But like Lily Tomlin, and Goldie Hawn, and Ruth Buzzie and Joanne Worley, Judy was much more than just a one-note act.

She had talent, could act and brought heart and warmth to her work. I’d read about her every now and then when there would be a Laugh-In reunion get-together of cast and crew in LA. She seemed ageless and timeless. Forever that young woman in her miniskirt, awaiting her ‘sock it to me’ moment.

RIP Judy Carne.

7. I like hat you guys are up too. Such clever work and reporting!

Keep up the very good works guys I’ve included you guy to
    blogroll.