Comic-Con

Blindspot Boss, Jaimie Alexander Talk 'Crazy' Times Square Shoot, Scary Ink

Considering the seven hours it takes Blindspot star Jaimie Alexander to have her tattoos applied before filming, you might be surprised to hear that she actually requests more scenes that show off her ink.

“When I signed on… I said, ‘Look, if I’m going to do this, I’m totally comfortable with doing the tattoos as many times as we need to,” the actress recalled to Michael Ausiello in our Comic-Con interview suite. “And I’ve got to be honest, I really dig walking into a coffee shop with those things on. People just get out of the way.”

The freshman NBC drama — which premieres Monday, Sept. 21 at 10/9c — centers on “Jane Doe,” a mysterious amnesiac who emerges from a duffel bag in Times Square completely naked and covered in said tattoos, including one that bears the name of FBI Agent Kurt Weller (Strike Back‘s Sullivan Stapleton).

Alexander and executive producer Martin Gero also shared the details of filming that “iconic” opening scene in New York City, as well as the number of mysteries that will be solved by the end of Season 1.

Press PLAY on the video above for a preview of the upcoming series.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Jaimie Alexander will always be Lady Sif in the Thor movies and I’m really looking forward to her new series Blindspot which premieres in just 14 days. This should give a big boost for a Voice lead-in and going up against two veteran dramas in Castle and NCIS: LA in the 10 p.m. Monday night time slot.

2. Mr. Tran K says:

The opening scene in Times Square and the arrival of Jane Doe should be one of the best openings for a pilot in recent memory. The tattoos in each episode are always one step closer to the mystery and we all know that to find the truth, they must break the code in Jane Doe’s tattoos. The series is action packed and mind blowing suspense and I don’t know if Blindspot is considered to be as a “serialized” drama but it does have potential.

• Ellinas1978 says:

It sounds like a case of the week thing with an overarching back story. That will get old after a couple of episodes. At least The Blacklist and Persons of Interest got the message but it took them a while.

• John NYC says:

“case of the week thing with an overarching back story”

Which also describes the two others in that time slot: Castle and NCIS-LA so maybe the scheduling is deliberate?

3. James D says:

I’m super stoked for this show. Jaimie is so beautiful and talented and Sullivan is a fantastic actor so it’s has a lot of strength behind it I’m still not sold on the story yet only because as Aus mentioned in the interview what’s stopping them from just digitally scanning all the tats and solving every mystery at once, but Gero actually gave a pretty good and honest answer also glad to hear each season has an three arc story to it I love cliffhangers but there comes a point where it feels forced. I really hope it’s successful and keeps me entertained for years to come.

4. m3rcnate says:

So I have seen the pilot and I really enjoyed it. Was it Mr. Robot? Breaking Bad? Sons of Anarchy? POI even? No, it wasn’t that smart, but it wasn’t dumb and it was entertaining and two really huge draws are the leads (love Jaimie from Kyle XY & Thor, love Sullivan from Strike Back) and to be honest the tats and their mystery.
    I will say thank god for the last 50 seconds of this video, because the first 5 minutes and 10 seconds was all talking about the tattoos, and to be honest if that is all they had, that is a pretty shallow premise. But thankfully in the last 50 seconds the EP goes into how they have written very very deep backstory for the character and won’t leave seasons open ended and has a plan (a beginning, middle and end to each season they get)…thank goodness.

• lechatnoir says:

but it looks like it is going to be just about them tattoos for like a whole season.The premise of this show doesn’t look solid to me. IMO Jaime has never been lead material. She is too one dimensional to me.

• m3rcnate says:

Jaimie is lead material to me, at least now. It is true I haven’t seen many dimensions from her, and I’m not sure if this character in the first season will test that seeing as she is a no memory having blank slate badass which means the range of emotion she will most likely playing isn’t too wide.
        As for “just about the tattoos for like a whole season”, did you watch the last 50 seconds of the video? He makes it clear that the tattoo’s are the road map/treasure map for the show, so yes they will most likely be in every episode (a tattoo a episode maybe) but at the same time they will be trying to solve the bigger mystery of who is she, and what is her connection to the FBI agent?

• Ellinas1978 says:

Mr. Robot in the same sentence (technically) as Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy? I don’t think so.

• Shaun says:

yeah,guess what….it’s better.

• m3rcnate says:

Mr. Robot is most definitely going to be nominated and most likely be the favorite to win an Emmy next year, and yes it was that good and smart.
        Best of all (like Breaking bad and SOA) it was ORIGINAL. That just makes it all the more surprising. It wasn’t based on a graphic novel or book so it already had the plot and story and characters and twists written for them.

• Temperance says:

I wasn’t a fan of either SoA or BB, so I’d probably agree that Mr Robot was better. Sorry… Robot is interesting.

• Temperance says:

I’ve also seen the pilot and enjoyed it, and I agree that is wasn’t perfect, but solid and worth a couple episodes. As much as Sullivan scruffy is dead hot, the one thing that bugged me was that he was too scruffy throughout for and FBI agent. Keep him clean shaven more, and have him ditch the shirt sometimes instead.

5. Loved the pilot. The chemistry between the leads is a real draw. The plot was suspenseful enough for a pilot episode that merely sets the board. But what is even better is the writing for Jane Doe. She is in such an extremely vulnerable situation when the show begins, but around one-third into the ep the writing already allows her to take her fate into her own hands, allows her to be strong and smart despite everything. And Alexander plays this duality completely believable.

And yes, thank goodness for the last half minute of the interview because its made clear that this isn’t supposed to be a show that will drag out a single mystery over the course of several seasons like The Mentalist or The Blacklist did/do. Such mysteries usually never live up to the hype.

6. Anna Karima says:

The tats are not new. Was it NCIS or Criminal Minds? And is it so strange that the lead looks so much like Nikita from the French version and the series reminds me of the Warner Brothers original tv series, La Femme Nikita – minus tats – which section would never allow. Am curious so will watch at first at least.

7. Rick Katze says:

Looks like my poor recorder will be very busy. Three shows I want to watch at the same time and that ignores football as a bonus.