The 100 Season 3: Clarke Gets a (Grounder?!) Makeover

The leader of the Sky People is becoming… a Grounder?

The 100 executive producer Jason Rothenberg shared a new photo of Eliza Taylor’s Clarke on Twitter, and it hints at a very different look for the young heroine in Season 3.

Could Clarke’s new style mean that her walkabout at the end of last March’s finale led her to join a new clan? Have she and Lexa made peace after the latter’s betrayal? Or is she undercover? (And just how long does it take to achieve those braids?)

Unfortunately, we’ll have to wait a while for answers as the CW series isn’t slated to return until midseason. Until then, check out the sneak peek below, then hit the comments your thoughts on Clarke’s makeover.

1. xomareen says:

please be a con, please be a con, this has gotta be a con.

• Poster4392 says:

I think it looks cool. Octavia is a total grounder lover, why cant Clarke be one too?

• Kim (@AD76) says:

Because Lexa screwed her and the rest of the Grounders over big time.

• tvjunkie says:

She did it to protect her own people. She didn’t do it because she wanted to, but because she felt she had to for her people. That’s a significant distinction.

• MIC67 says:

Actually she was using Clarke to free her people. When she no longer needed her help she left her to be taken by the Mountain Men.

Using people and situations to solidify power over her people is part of Lexi’s personality. She let Mount Weather fire on her own people…you do realize that killed many of the other Grounder leaders that were there strengthening Lexi’s own position to solidify the grounders left under her sole leadership.

She even used the situation to increase her popularity among the people by declaring revenge against the Mountain Men who attacked them…an attack she was not only aware of but one that she could have prevented.

These are not the actions of someone who cares deeply for her people but the actions of someone who wants absolute power over her people (and eventually over other groups as well). Each move she makes is strategic…to gain control and power…no different that the despots we see ruling countries today. They will do whatever it takes to reach their goals.

It’s part of the underlying concept of the show…the human race never really changes even after blowing up the world…no matter what happens they will still behave in the same way they always have…doing whatever it takes to be the one on top…even if it means they sacrifice people along the way (like Clarke or their own people). All over the planet factions rise…leaders rise and eventually…again there will be war. Mankind can’t escape it…it’s inevitable. Lexi is just another ruler that will use people and situations to increase her influence and power to be on top and eventually if she gets the biggest stick she will begin to increase her territory…how…war…why because this is what the human race does…it’s an endless cycle.

• Ana says:

And also becuase it doesn’t suit Clarke. She’s a leader and a fighter but not the same way grounders are. And she’s a Sky Person. Octavia is not. She said it herself, she has no home. Ark wanted to kill her for just being born. And before that she was locked up so no one would have know she even exist. She has never belonged there. But Clarke is a different story. She’s not a grounder. It may ‘look’ cool but it’s not.

• tvjunkie says:

That’s a very strange argument. By your logic, if you are born in the US but people don’t want you then you are not a US citizen and should be deported. Trump would love you because it means he could deport all the anchor babies of illegals. The point is Octavia is a sky person period.

• Ana says:

People on the Ark didn’t want to kill her, the goverment did. And let’s not forget they had to kill people because they were living in space. It’s not the same thing. Octavia herself didn’t feel like she belongs to Ark. Clarke does feel that. You don’t understand my argument at all. The Ark didn’t work like an usual society. Don’t forget that. She may be a Sky Person by birth but she is not by heart and that’s what I was talking about.

2. Annie says:

This is horrible actually because it means Clarke ditches her own people to join the grounders that betrayed her

• Jada says:

Or she’s on an undercover mission.

• Mike R says:

I thought they hit home pretty well that Clarke couldn’t face the guilt of killing all of the mountain men and face her people, so I would not say she is choosing the grounders over her people, but just paving a way for her to live with the guilt of what she has done.

• Ana says:

And that’s why she’s joining the people who MADE her kill all the mountain men? If Lexa didn’t betray her she wouldn’t have to kill. It’s just stupid and doesn’t make a sense whatsoever.

3. Pegasus says:

Love Grounder Clarke :)

4. Sarah_ says:

It doesn’t look like Grounder looks , there’s another picture of her and its more of an Ice Nation look.. I think.
    Can’t wait for season 3 :)

5. Jada says:

She looks fantastic! I can’t wait to see what this is all about. I love Clarke.

6. LT says:

Can’t wait for this show to come back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Drew says:

I hope that season 3 is better than season 2. Clarke destroying Lexa would be a nice way to kick things off.

8. Sarah says:

I’m not too worried that all will be forgiven with Lexa just because Clarke looks like a Grounder. That would just be too boring and the 100 doesn’t do boring. I bet because Lexa called off the fight with the Mountain Men that the alliance between clans broke and the clans are at war again. Maybe Clarke will team up with a Grounder clan that is at war with Lexa in order to get her revenge on Lexa for ditching the Sky people and having forced Clarke to kill everyone.

• Ana says:

Alliance did not broke. Why would it? Lexa called of the fight with Mountain Men but she still got all of her people. She did it in a way without fight so I would say the alliance is even stronger now. They only alliance that broke was between Clarke and Lexa.

• Sarah says:

Uh did you miss the part where the Grounder’s are a warrior nation? Vengeance is a big freaking deal to them. Blood Must Have Blood. Lexa may have saved her people but it came at the cost of the Grounder’s vengeance. The alliance was fragile to begin with and without a common enemy or a shared victory over a common enemy, it is bound to fall apart. Plus there is the fact that with the Sky people no longer allied with them the Grounders no longer have a way to save the Reapers, meaning Lexa didn’t even actually save all of her people.

• Ana says:

Yes, they’re a warrior nation but for WHAT would they want the revange? No one knows about the bombs except Lexa, Clarke, Indra and Octavia and maybe few more people but I bet they won’t say anything because they don’t want war. And yes, you’re right, Lexa may not save the reapers, but she did save everyone in the Monunt Weather, not only ‘her grounders’ but grounders from the other clans, too. And lets not forget that for the clans reapers were already a lost cause before Clarke showed up. And it was Sky People who needed reapers to come back to the old selves so that they would have the alliance. Those people in the cages were not a lost cause. The nations have nothing to be angry at. And they did won over the common enemy. Just without a fight. Besides, you really think Jason would go this path? It’s definitely way too soon and if he wants the alliance to broke he will do it on the screen with plotting and everything.

• Sarah says:

Uh, what? I never said they would want revenge for the bomb. I was saying that the alliance will likely break over the Grounders being denied vengeance against the Mountain Men. And yes, I think Jason could go this path and that it would be played out on screen. If I didn’t believe that was a possibility I wouldn’t have said it.

9. Johanna says:

I NEED IT! I NEED IT NOW! 2016 might as well be 50 years from now. I’m desperate for more.

10. Sawyer says:

Actually prefer the Arker look. Eliza is gorgeous with out make up. Lexa and Octavia can pull the look off. Eliza is a great actress maybe she can convince me on the new look. The look makes her seem so cold. Season 3 better be worth the new look and obviously the new look, and the extra long wait. Maybe she is the leader of Lexa’s clan or that’s her wedding attire for Lexa:) I want my Clarke back kick ass no braids and her badass jacket she wears.

11. lame says:

Looking forward to the return of the 100, good daring storylines that seldom take the easy path.

12. kay says:

The makeup around Clarke’s eyes looks a lot like Lexa’s did. Maybe it is a con.

I think Octavia doesn’t consider herself loyal to either people anymore and that now it’s more about where the people she trusts are like Bellamy and Lincoln otherwise she would not have gone back to Camp Jaha.

13. as says:

terrible, that side braid looks like princess leia from star wars, Clarke looks too much like lexa in my opinion – was hoping for more original look. She’s not a grounder, they’ve should’ve thought of a look between sky people and the grounders.

14. DCH says:

Its pretty obvious that Clarke’s gone over to the dark errr I mean the Lexa side. I guess she can’t hide her Lexa lust after all. Doesn’t matter that Lexa betrayed her to save her people. Clarke wants her some of that and poor Bellamy is still gonna be in the friend zone HaHa.

15. MIC67 says:

Honestly I’m sick of the grounders…there are other factions all over the planet…can’t they just move on and show us more of what’s out there. A little sick of Clarke for that matter. The first season was the best. Two storylines (one with the teens and one with the adults) with equal screentime for the story as well as the characters.

Season 2 was focused first on Finn and then Clarke. Other characters were sidelined and the show felt unbalanced. I preferred the ensemble feel of the first season and wish it would go back to that but in the internet era it seems impossible. Too many of the writers (and not just this show but others as well) bow to internet pressure and leave behind common sense to give a small fraction of fans what they want turning great shows into boring and tedious clones of every other show on television.

I didn’t even watch this show at the first…passed on it because I thought it would be just another CW teen drama…actually picked it up on Netflix after the first season had already aired. Was shocked, thrilled, and surprised at just how good it was…then the second season started and guess what. It became exactly what I feared it would be in the first place. A show about a teenage girl and her possible love interests…Finn…Lexi…Bellamy. It’s Elena from Vampire Diaries and the big question is who will she finally choose…so you get the shift of focus onto the one character leaving behind the ensemble cast.Best thing that ever happened to Vampire Diaries was when Elena was written out and it ticks me off that they’ve written Clarke into the same situation…one that in time if it continues may make me completely dislike her. For now I’m giving it a chance but I’m not looking forward to it as much as I did after the first season. Yeah, I’m ranting…can’t help it…I thought I had found a fantastic show and then…not so much.

As for the grounders…a previous comment said that Lexi did what she did to protect her people…no…Lexi used Clarke to get what she wanted…when she no longer needed Clarke she left her in the dust. Lexi constantly used situations to increase her hold on her people and her power. She’s power hungry and not a good person.

16. HandovaSwish says:

I don’t have a problem if Clarke wants to be a Grounder or side with the sky people. She was thrust into her leadership role and has difficulty balancing (as she should) right and wrong decisions. Heavy is the crown, especially since most of the time her own friends paid the ultimate price to assist Grounders.

17. Antoinette Natrigo says:

In a fans perspective who truly love’s the show “The 100” and I know that many will agree with me. I looked up spoilers I’ve looked up pretty much anything I can get my hand’s on and I have came across something that put me and another 100 fan in some anxiety about who will be one of the four people who will die that many people asked to be spared of death. And it’s not going to be just me and this other fan who will be very mad, upset and willing to stop watching the show if these two characters come across death in the show. These four characters where Bellamy, Clarke, Lexa, and Octavia. And they have announced that “One will surely did.” I wouldn’t kill off Bellamy nor Clarke they are the most important main characters in the show there are even Bellarke fans out there and I am one of them so is this other fan. And this is not just for our entertainment. There are many more fans out there that’s wouldn’t agree with these two characters facing there death in season 3. This will become an outbreak and you will lose ratings. And this isn’t a threat this is me speaking on behalf of watching this happen to another show that I used to love as well almost as much as I love “The 100.” This show was “The Vampire Diaries” that show was doing so well getting ratings and becoming very popular but they attempted to go through with killing off one the most important Characters Alena and now see what happened there show was moved for your show to perform. But one must surly die out of the four so I suggest you choose one of the other two Lexa or Octavia now I ask to spare Octavia because I love the character Bellamy and I would want to see his heart break over the thought of losing his sister. My suggestion is Lexa she’s still new and most of us haven’t fallen in love with the character as much as the others so your ratings won’t be such a big lost as if you killed off Bellamy or Clarke because than it be so bad and you’r show WILL lose more then half of your ratings. So I suggest you pick Lexa she’s a great Character and it still will be hard to see but bearable to not want to stop watching the show. Because the excitement won’t be lost the pain of losing BELLARKE won’t be there so I will still continue to watch the show. Pain will still be there if Lexa dies but your show will continue and ratings will still go up. Or you could take back what you have said and kill neither of the four but if do go through with it I am warning you now DON’T kill Bellamy or Clarke!!!! #oriwillstopwatchingtheshow
    #ididitbeforewithothershowsthatiloved