Hulu No Commercials

Hulu Announces Commercial-Free Option — How Much Will It Cost You?

How much is it worth to you to watch Season 4 of The Mindy Project with zero commercial interruptions? Would you cough up, say, 12 monthly dollars?

Hulu announced on Wednesday its new commercial-free viewing option, which will fetch $11.99 per month — or four dollars more than its “limited” commercials subscription fka Hulu Plus.

Current Hulu subs will maintain their existing plan, but will have the choice to switch to the commercial-free option at any time for the aforementioned upcharge.

“[W]e pride ourselves on listening to our customers and giving them the best possible experience,” Hulu CEO Mike Hopkins said in a statement. “Many of our customers have asked us for a commercial-free option, and so… we are excited to introduce just that. Providing more choice for consumers is fundamental to the Hulu experience. In addition to an array of choices in content and devices, our customers can now choose to watch with or without commercials.”

1. aa says:

A 50% price bump? What a joke…

• Brooke says:

Why is it a joke, if that’s how much they have to charge to recoup what they lose out on from advertising fees if they take out the commercials?

• Abe Froman says:

It’s a joke because Netflix commercial-free streaming is only 7.99.

• Hodan says:

But that is only for a single user. I pay way more than that for my large family.

• Brooke says:

But Netflix doesn’t air episodes immediately after they air on TV. You have to wait for the whole season to come out. So that very reasonably means that the licensing fees are very different for Netflix vs Hulu. Again, How is that a joke? Why do people always throw tantrums when they’re asked to pay for the entertainment they consume?

• streamer says:

Hulu has all the amc and fx content coming in the future.. they have a good amount of binge watchinng season shows as of now and a lot more coming in the future. If you compare prices and services netflix and hulu both have original content, full seasons of shows to binge, no commercials, but only hulu has next days airs. So it seems the price difference is fare to me. Probable a lot if you think of it as just commercials but compare service to service it seems fair . If netflix added next day airs of shows and wanted 4 more dollars it seem like a good price then? you just have to admit that the little guys will eventually be knock out by the big cheese..

• Will says:

commerical free but you have to wait a whole season to be done then wait more until the new seasons premiers. forget that. haha. I’ll pay 7.99 with commercials from hulu to be up to date with my shows.

• AuntT says:

Good point Abe!

2. Livus48 says:

The biggest question is….will we be able to see the show’s outside The USA. As it is now,there is a limit to what we can see here in Scandinavia

3. Steven says:

Absolutely not. I’ll stick with Netflix.

4. LK says:

I like this option… I hated having to watch the same three commercials every time i watched something on Hulu… and when you try to scan through to a part of a show that interests you it sometimes made you watch a whole slew of commercials.

5. I won’t bother. Their commercials aren’t that bad, really.

• Zayne says:

I strongly disagree. The lack of diversity and frequency of the commercials caused me to go near clinically insane when trying to catch up on the first season of Brooklyn 99 last year.

• Elizabeth says:

I was trying to watch an episode of So You Think You Can Dance and every time I touched the remote I had to watch a McDonalds commercial, the SAME commercial over and over and over.

• evababy says:

OMG! Same here. I binged B99 earlier this year and the same two commercials came on every single episode. One was a trucker who collected rocks for his daughter and the other was a same sex deaf couple who were adopting a child. Even though i think I have seen those commercials more times than I have actually seen the faces of my own children I have no idea what they were actually selling. Obviously ‘over-saturation’ is not a good advertising strategy. I’d gladly pay the extra 4 bucks a month.

• lkh says:

I agree–the amount of time for the commercials doesn’t bother me, much better than regular tv, but OMG, could they vary them–it’s the same one over and over. I’ve started talking back to the ads, ‘no, I don’t want blah, blah! For the last time!’

• Len johnson says:

I agree with you those commercials over and over again drive me crazy. But that is why they invented the mute button. Not worth the extra bucks. What worries me though is now they are putting more commercials in. Probably to piss us off enough to switch over.

6. webly3 says:

Too expensive.

7. Silveraynea says:

Finally! Hulu might be worth it now.

8. Lerbert says:

I would consider this…the commercials are what hold me back from watching Hulu more often. It makes no financial sense at all but sometimes I’ll opt to spend the $2 or $4 at Amazon to catch a missed epsiode rather than sit through Hulu. So for me it would make sense.

9. Joey says:

Do they understand that if you don’t have Netflix (or even if you do) how easy it is to just watch things illegally?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

If that is the path you choose in life…

• Brooke says:

Again, WHY do people think they’re entitled to free entertainment? People make the tv shows or movies or music that you want to enjoy, but for some reason you think that you don’t have to pay for it?

• Temperance says:

Commercials are so horrid (and they lie so very badly throughout), I’m be doing them a favor not to watch them. If I notice a commercial at all, it’s usually no make a note of what product to NEVER buy or which company to avoid at all costs.

• Temperance says:

Mostly because they won’t allow you to just pay for what you want without inflicting brain damage from horrid, lying commercials. If they provide what people want, they’ll pay. I’m guessing that this new plan will be quite successful.

10. Amanda says:

Nope, I’ll stick with my “limited” commercials! Why would I pay an extra $4 a month for 3 minutes of commercials per episode? Stupidity!!!!!! Plus I usually use that time to go to the bathroom or something…lol! Why don’t they just play the stupid commercials at the beginning of the episode and stream the entire episode commercial free? That way they get this commercials in and people get to watch the entire episode, but maybe I’m just thinking to hard about this…haha

11. Andrea says:

I still like Amazon because I don’t need a monthly plan. I like the $2 per episode option because some months I don’t stream that much at all.

• Stacy says:

Yeah, the best option for me changes from month to month. My time, show availability, etc… I’m about to cancel Netflix. Not because it’s bad, but because I’m starting school and won’t be able to take advantage. I’ll likely renew somewhere down the road and enjoy it more.

• herman1959 says:

Have you noticed the way Amazon hooks you with the free season 1 episodes (or pilot for the newer shows) and THEN hits you up for the $2 episode charge after you’re into the show? Isn’t that how the old-time heroin pushers used to operate?

12. Diz says:

Hmm interesting. I think it should be $10 though.

13. Bob Backus says:

If you’re dumb enough to pay it, the price will only rise. 0 is what I’d pay for Hulu. Of course I guess I’m in the minority. I’ve used a linux os for free and got what are now called apps for it for free. It wasn’t until moron Apple and Microcrap users were fooled into paying for apps that the stupidity disease spread to Linux. Same thing with overpriced coffee (yes they do charge what the biggest group of morons are willing to pay for a drink that costs less than the cup- source- BBC radio 4 economic documentary), and it’s the same thing with these small outlets like Hulu and Amazon.

• Bob Backus says:

PS, for those Amazon viewers etc you should look up the meaning behind the phrases “Nickel and dimed to death” and “Look after the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.” Someone at those companies figured out they’re able to get more money out of the morons when they charge just $2 a viewing instead of a bigger monthly fee.

• Temperance says:

I regularly use pretty much every OS, and I’d not crow about Linux – ever. It’s only better than the deeply dreadful OSX from Apple.

• Grace says:

Yeah, how dare content creators/providers and software developers want to be paid for their work?

14. Viv says:

Longtime cordcutter here — I LIKE that all the streaming choices differ from each other.

I want a diverse viewing experience: when I feel like a shopping/mall-like experience I go to Amazon to buy a movie or season finale or special ep. When I wanna feel like I’m watching TV, I go to Hulu & that cutiepie gekko doesn’t annoy me, ’cause hey, I’m watching tv. And right now, I’m in the mood for TVD/Originals so I’ve been binging Netflix all week long w/ no advertising to even think about.

I def don’t want them all to be alike! Leave me my options, streamers!!

• Stacy says:

I completely agree! Besides, if they were all the same, eventually one would gain more content, drive the others out of business and likely spike their prices. I like the ability to choose Netflix for a few months, then switch to Hulu, then go a la carte with iTunes or Amazon.

15. Ron says:

I like that they’re offering this option, but I’ll save my extra $4/month & just watch the limited commercials. Are the commercials occasionally annoying and lack a diversity in what they show? Sure. But the commercial breaks are usually anywhere from 30 seconds to 90 seconds. That’s not even remotely that bad. Cutting out three 30 second ads for a program is not worth an additional $4 a month to me. And I really don’t get the comparisons to Netflix. With Hulu, you’re getting the episode the day after it aired, as opposed to Netflix where you sometimes have to wait months, or even a year.

16. Totally worth it! I was going to cancel it but decided since Mindy was going there, I was going to suffer through the repetitive commercials. Now I don’t have to? Yay!

17. DarkDefender says:

I would seriously consider this option if the majority of my favorite shows were on Hulu. I can wait a day (and often do) to watch my shows, because I can then zip through the commercials. With this Hulu option and streaming like HBONow, who would need a cable box or satellite?

18. Lori says:

Hulu comes out with the no commercial option for $4 more per month and just coincidently all the commercials on my shows start to freeze up. Not the shows just the commercials. Smells like a rat here – trying to force us to pay the extra just to get thru a show. Might have to give Amazon Prime a shot!

19. t teraji says:

i signed up for the commercial free part a month ago. it’s a lie. a lot of shows, yeah, they are commercial free but there are some shows they say are excluded from the commercial free membership even though you’re paying them those extra $$. hulu’s greed is beyond business ethics.

20. Jade says:

I won’t be “upgrading” to commercial free. Even though like many have said, “it’s crazy that the same few commercials are on loop”.
    Maybe the up charge is because they (Hulu) are lacking sponsors (hence = same few sponsor commercials) & the $4 increase is compensating for lack of sponsor variety. Someone has already signed up for commercial free, posted here & confirmed not all are.
    I’m not ok with stealing/finding free sites… But most TV channels have their own free app. They have a library of their shows, where you can watch clips, full episodes, full seasons & even exclusive extra content, (often next day). That’s an option.