MTV VMAs Ratings Miley Cyrus

Ratings: MTV's Miley Cyrus-Hosted VMAs Down vs. 2014

Miley Cyrus’ nipple wasn’t the only thing that “slipped” as she hosted MTV’s Video Music Awards on Sunday night.

Just north of 5 million total viewers tuned into MTV for the annual bacchanal, plunging 40 percent from last year’s MTV telecast and wellllll shy of the VMAs’ record-setting 2011 audience of 12.4 million.

It was thus the least-watched VMAs on MTV since 2012, when 6.1 million tuned in for a rescheduled Thursday broadcast.

Across all 10 Viacom-owned outlets, MTV included, the VMAs amassed 9.8 million viewers, down just 5 percent versus 2014.

Facing off against Sunday’s otherwise buzzy VMAs, CBS’ Big Brother (6.7 mil/2.1) ticked up 9 percent and a tenth week-to-week, ABC’s Bachelor in Paradise (4.4 mil/1.3) drew its largest Sunday audience and NBC’s preseason NFL game drew 6.8 mil/2.0.

1. Bryan says:

Just to point out each time Lady Gaga is performing or attending the ratings are great. Each she isn’t there are drops…

2. Mr. Tran K says:

Miley didn’t deserve to be the host of the VMAs this year, someone else should. Hate to wonder how Ms. Cyrus is going to fare in the Season 41 premiere of SNL come October 3rd.

3. Brandy says:

Not at all surprised. I’ve been a big VMAs fan since Jr High, but even I had no interest in watching this year. The promotion for this year was so strange.

4. Sil says:

Well, there you go. There are lots of people like me, judging from the huge loss in viewers of that show, who won’t watch that trash. Good riddance as far as I’m concerned. I sure hope that this teaches show EPs and awards show EPs that she is a detriment to viewership of there events. And, furthermore, stop using that guff as a shock value to get viewers. It didn’t work this time. And, all the tabloids need to stop giving her free press. She’s repulsive.

• Mable says:

Well said!! Hopefully they will see how irrelevant she really is. Nipples are not shock, good music is, as far as MTV is concerned. Damn shame what happened to that channel.

5. A.B. says:

It’s easy to lose interest in award show now because it’s become nothing more than a popularity contest. The most popular person gets the award not to the artist, show, movie, etc. who actually deserves it.

• tvjunkie says:

So what you’re saying is you never watch the Oscars? Most of the time the big Oscar winners are for movies the average person hasn’t heard of or at least never seen.

6. Joe Drizzler says:

The headline is very misleading. The article correctly notes that 9.8 million people watched the show live, which was a 5% drop from last year. Not great, but not terrible either. The 40% drop represents the number of people watching on MTV. For some odd reason the show was simulcast on about a dozen channels, and a lot of viewers apparently watched on those channels. So it’s not like Miley Cyrus caused a 40% drop in viewers as the headline suggests.

7. dan says:

I watched parts of the pre-show (red carpet) with my teenaged daughter. I had no idea who most of the people were. It was a horribly produced hour of tv. The hosts were terrible (I expected better from Kelly Osbourne, the one person I recognized), the segues from person to person were clunky at best, the musical interludes were mostly bad (my daughter liked the Nick Jonas song) and whatever comedy they were trying to display with certain people was awkward and not funny. I was actually shocked that MTV could produce such a bad pre-show. I just couldn’t watch the actual VMAs, although I did hear some of it after I left the room until she turned the tv off (she also thought the show was bad and poorly produced).

8. c-mo says:

I’m sorry to say this delights me greatly. I’m not delighted because of someone’s misfortune, I’m delighted because the general public have apparently grown weary of Miley and voted pretty loudly with their remotes. Well done, fellow humans!

9. Amanda says:

You all can’t blame the decline in ratings on Miley alone…geez I know most of you don’t like, but let us just be fair….ALL THE AWARD SHOWS SUCKED THIS YEAR! Also the article is misleading….the VMAs were on MTV, VH1 and even Centric; so to just display one channel is wrong too. This just wasn’t a good year all around for music, there wasn’t any real jaw-dropping songs put out and if they were, they were all forgotten. It was really the Taylor Swift show cause she was up there more then the host! The only way these shows get better is when better music is put out…when they made the announcement of the artists nominated, I knew this was going to be a snoozefest! Truth be known, I think most people did watch just so that they can talk about Miley Cyrus afterwards, if there was any other host, I think the numbers would have been worse!

10. Amanda says:

You all can’t blame the decline in ratings on Miley alone…geez I know most of you don’t like her, but let us just be fair….ALL THE AWARD SHOWS SUCKED THIS YEAR! Also the article is misleading….the VMAs were on MTV, VH1, BET and even Centric; so to just display one channel is wrong too. This just wasn’t a good year all around for music, there wasn’t any real jaw-dropping songs put out and if they were, they were all forgotten. It was really the Taylor Swift show cause she was up there more then the host! The only way these shows get better is when better music is put out…when they made the announcement of the artists nominated, I knew this was going to be a snoozefest! Truth be known, I think most people did watch just so that they can talk about Miley Cyrus afterwards, if there was any other host, I think the numbers would have been worse!

11. Jake says:

Well duh, most people whom want to watch a circus go and watch it under the big top, they don’t turn on MTV…

12. iceblast says:

I think the reason it didn’t do well was because they didn’t have any music people really wanted to hear. Taylor was about the only star there that was worth listening too. Where was everyone else.

Also, so few awards where given out. The show is starting to losing any meaning it had. It’s almost completely useless right now.

13. Blurgh says:

This makes me glad. It shows (in my opinion) that people are tired of Miley, the one trick pony who just sticks her tongue out, wears weird outfits, and shows up mostly naked. Her vulgarity is the worst.

• herman1959 says:

And yet, she can actually SING! In fact, she has one of the best voices of her generation…can some one remind her of that?

14. BillUSA says:

To be honest, there’s no sincerity that comes across when one digests Miley Cyrus as a public figure. To me she’s just a spoiled brat acting out against her Conservative parents for her upbringing. Funny how that works. All the time she was managed by her Dad she was publicly well-behaved. But once on her own, she discovers that she had something against the way she was raised. It all fits in this day and age of not just rejecting conservative values but to eradicate them from the face of the planet.

Okay, perhaps eradication is too harsh a word, but I see the entertainment industry has prostituted itself by allowing itself to become a platform for social activism. Why does the art have to take a back seat to the ugliness of certain (ahem) entertainers as they hijack an awards ceremony to act like retards?

Her act on stage is obviously for show, I get that. But her outrageous behavior is an attempt to eclipse those ahead of her like Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, Lady Gaga and perhaps to out-popularize the much classier Taylor Swift. I get that too, but it just seems so put on. Probably fueled by drug use and an entourage of enablers.

Me? I was 23 when MTV debuted and I don’t recall when the MTV Music Video Awards began because I’ve never watched them. Not out of principle – just because I don’t watch award ceremonies. Glad I have such an attitude because of what it has spared me from being witness to.

15. KronosViking says:

Simple.. No one wants to see Miley’s 10 year old boy’s body flaunting her “pansexual” nudity.. Her tired shtick is played out, just like her Disney talent… She will fade away and will no longer matter just like Justin Bieber and any and all Kardashians… Time for America to wake up and quit giving attention to these Morally bankrupt individuals and their lifestyles!