Killjoys Renewed Season 2

Syfy Renews Killjoys, Dark Matter for Season 2; Defiance's Future Still TBD

The future looks bright for Syfy’s Killjoys and Dark Matter, both of which have been renewed for Season 2 soon after wrapping their freshman runs.

The fate of Syfy’s other Friday-night drama, Defiance — which just closed Season 3 with a very series finale-y episode — has yet to be determined.

Temple Street Productions’ Killjoys, about a trio of intergalactic bounty hunters, averaged 1.5 million weekly viewers (with Live+3 DVR data folded in). Dark Matter, which is about six people who wake up on a derelict spaceship with no memories of who they are or how they got on board, averaged 1.8 million.

Killjoys‘ sophomore season will run 10 episodes, Dark Matters 13.

The two series will return in 2016, joining a Syfy slate that will include The Magicians (based on Lev Grossman’s bestselling novels), Gale Anne Hurd’s thriller Hunters, the 10-part drama The Expanse (which actually gets underway Dec. 14) and Season 2 of 12 Monkeys.

Which Syfy renewal are you most excited about?

1. Cool. Now if they would only release a full-length version of the Killjoys opening theme…

2. Josey Putnam says:

DEFIANCE IS A MUST!!!! IT DESERVES A RENEWAL FOR THE FINE WRITING AND ACTING OF EVERYONE INVOLVED. Great stories and characters that you alternately hate and like. And a believable storyline.

• Ramtak Canuck says:

Agreed, I took a while but just binged watched the show and think it is solid, please renew

• WayneAdneyC says:

I DISAGREE to some extant. DEFIANCE opened slowly on the story but in a big way that by the end of first season the show outright forced the viewers to except a different direction and tone for season two and from non-spoiler user comments it appears season 3 went out with a big science-fiction bang that all Defiance fans could agree on.
      Sometimes when a show tops that peak…what direction does the show go that doesn’t destroy the fabric of the franchise or it’s original plot? Sometimes it has to end after a few seasons (or five.) Anyways, DEFIANCE felt like one long novel stretched and extended over more than a season or simply a lengthy mini-series.
      I just got Season 2 via Netflix arrive in the mail. After watching that and the soon-to-be released third then I’ll have a better understanding of whether or not I personally think it should remain on air or go to the TV morgue.

• Tom Hyberger says:

I hope for a renewal. Defiance is one of the better told SciFi stories ever and ANYTHING can happen on it. Way too many people have died int he last 2 years. It’s a great piece of storytelling.

• Meryl Nash says:

Ditto. Please do not cancel Defiance. I love everything about that series! My Fridays will never be the same! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON’T CANCEL DEFIANCE!!!!!

3. Malaspina says:

Season 3 of Defiance was easily the best season.Hoping it comes back next summer.

• Rook says:

Really? I found myself struggling to watch. I felt it started out good but then lagged in the middle and I fast forwarded though some of the boring episodes. If it does come back I’m not so sure I’ll watch.

• Nick says:

I’m also not sure I’d watch it if renewed.

Dramatically it was fine. I enjoyed it as much as earlier seasons. But I found the incest very offputting, especially since T’evgin ended up being rather a nice chap and dieing heroically.

A major protagonist who just happens to be screwing his daughter…. that’s definitely not the kind of television I want to watch.

• WayneAdneyC says:

First episode drew you in with the driving scene with the song sing along between father and adopted daughter. After that it lag some episodes and scenes until it picked back up with the Irisa mystery. It seems that it became no longer about Defiance as a town but about Irisa and even she has slowly taken away the spotlight from its leading male, Nolan. Season two (currently watching) started out slow again…setting up the new players interactions with the old ones, finding Irisa (whether quickly) and establishing the change of positions in the old roles.
        The unanswered questions people are complaining about…another season could settled them or leave you with more. A whether pointless waste of talent and at the unnecessary cost of the story if it’s more of the same and more questions than answers. A TV movie finale might be a better, cheaper and more popular solution in the long run…At least try to go more than an hour and thirty minutes for our viewing pleasure and to say what needs to be said with Defiance.

• Ariies says:

Those of us that watch the series and play the game have a different view point. Since they tend to go hand and hand with each other, it is very stimulating for us that do both. There are going to be somewhat boring episodes, in my opinion, in any series. I do not want a repeat of what happened to Farscape. Even though I enjoyed the TV movie, I rather the producers finish off the series with a series finale. If they want to do a TV movie as an addition like they did with Stargate. I would be fine.

• Praedor says:

No Defiance, no SyFy. Have NO interest in Dark Matter or Kill Joys. Tried watching them ONLY because they followed Defiance. Without the Defiance lead-in…

Listening SyFy? Cut the bull and renew the better of the three I listed.

4. Maryann says:

What is the renewal staus of Dominion?

5. Maryann says:

If this is a series finale for Defiance, I wish I had known before watching it. The last two seasons have felt just as final, but somehow they managed to come back, so the seriouaness of the events that were happening just didn’t sink in, and I didn’t have the emotional responses I would have had if I had known I was watching the series finale.

6. Dean says:

not surprised with alot of their veteran shows ending. Haven, Lost Girl, Continuum. SYFY would need alot in their programing roster.

7. Andrea Coates says:

Well, that just made my day so much better.

8. prish says:

Yay for Dark Matter and Killjoys!

9. dji says:

i like defiance better than the other two but i don’t see them bringing it back. that was a series finale. they wrapped it up in a big bow. i know this was a costly show so i really don’t see them bringing it back.

10. Grey says:

Matt, what’s the scuttle you are hearing behind the scenes about Defiance?

11. evababy says:

Oh, Yay! for Killjoys. Fun, interesting Space Opera is always necessary.

• prish says:

It reminds me of my most favorite Star Trek show, ever, Deep Space Nine.

• SeaJay says:

Deep Space Nine was some of the Best Star Trek ever, and DEFIANCE is easily better, many aliens, more drama, save the Earth stuff… and wow, the town is colorful too.

I want a NEED/WANT Franchise in my town !

12. mike says:

awesome news for KillJoys and Dark Matter

13. Diane says:

I like both shows so I am glad they will be back, but I am most happy about Killjoys. I think the 3 leads work well together. Plus Aaron Ashmore is always good in anything he does.

14. Tim says:

Both shows are good, but I enjoy Dark Matter more.

15. Kevin Gillis says:

Defiance has superior acting and writing to the other 2 series that were just renewed . The character relationships and the storyline are much more emotionally compelling and intellectually interesting in Defiance …..so I say to SyFy management – SHAME ON YOU, if you do not renew Defiance and its striving for excellence ….. Defiance is the best quality sci-fi drama since Battlestar Galatica ….SO SAY WE ALL !

• Winter says:

All of which is true, but it’s also way more expensive to make and has had a ratings decline every year. I like the show but I understand the business behind it too.

• tyranthraxus says:

Whats Interesting is that I think originally It was supposed to be somewhat funded as well by the Defiance MMO (which I think still exists), but like most MMOS the Defiance ones subscribers tanked and now most days its a ghost town. It was an interesting co effort.

• SeaJay says:

Ark falls are very crowded, the private invites have cut down on groups in places, but lots of players every day…

• Winter says:

I wondered what happened to MMO. I’m not a gamer so it never interested me much but I thought the idea was interesting. But I also noticed they never talk about the game aspect anymore so I figured it mostly died out.

• tyranthraxus says:

They cut down on servers. I havnt played for some time, so I must of played just before they cut down the number of servers. So it looks like the ones they have are full now which is good. It just was never the success they wanted it to be.

16. Television says:

Best news I’ve heard all day, now please make more episodes per season. 10ish episodes is not enough for one season.

• cg313 says:

I agree I was hoping Killjoys would at least up there episode count if not both shows.

• tyranthraxus says:

Keep in mind they could give it more down the road. It wont be filming for a while. I wouldnt want anymore than 13 though. Killjoys is NOT the type of show that would benefit from a Network standard 22 episodes. Look what happened to MTV’s Teen Wolf for a good example.

10 -13 episodes keeps the show lean and mean!

17. Karen says:

Defiance just got better and better each season, and this last one was science fiction at its finest. The last episode could easily be a series finale, but if not, I can’t wait for the next one! I also really like Dark Matter and can’t wait for next season. Going to binge on Killjoys because the first episode didn’t grab me like Dark Matter did, but well done, SyFy. You made Fridays a great TV night again.

18. Lee says:

I just want to know about DOMINION. I haven’t watched DEFIANCE’s latest season (schedule issues), wasn’t at all interested in KILLJOYS, but I make a point of being home to see DOMINION. The phone ringer us turned off, the cellphone is off, the popcorn/drinks are ready, and my household all go silent for DOMINION. Then, for an hour, we all go mad with theories, ideas, questions, etc. until the re-airing, where it is silent (except, of course, for my own running commentary usually consisting of yelling at anyone threatening harm to Noma or Michael, and generally worrying for those two characters) so we can watch it again to see if we pick up on anything we missed in the first viewing.

19. Storms says:

Awesome news!!! I love Killjoys (love the characters and their chemistry) and Dark Matter (surprised me every week, great job writers, cast!) equally, 2 fresh takes on sci fi that I haven’t seen yet. I have enjoyed both immensely, can’t wait until next year!

20. Mathew says:

Defiance!!! Defiance!!!

21. Karen says:

Defiance just got better and better each season, with this last one and particularly the last episode being science fiction at its finest. Even if it doesn’t come back (and with the season finale being such a final one), I’d be happy because it definitely left on a high. Kudos to SyFy for keeping it on and delivering on such a quality show. I also love Dark Matter and am glad it will be back. I have to binge Killjoys from my DVR because the first episode didn’t grab me like Dark Matter did.

22. John NYC says:

Good news on the Killjoys and Dark Matter front, Defiance I’d welcome back but that was a good ending if it has to be one.

23. Brigid says:

I’m happy for the renewals of Killjoys and Dark Matter but Defiance is the best show on the network. Here’s how you keep it on, get rid of the poorly acted Dominion and use that money to keep Definance running for another season. You’re already cancelling so many other shows, keep a few around.

24. Jess says:

yah for dark matter and killjoys. i want to see six get what’s coming to him.

25. Sarah_ says:

Yes!!! Dark Matter :)
    So glad it got renewed.
    Great series

26. Anne says:

As usual, SyFy cancels the good stuff and keeps the junk.

27. Jared says:

I have a feeling that if Defiance was getting renewed it would have been apart of this press release.

28. Nick says:

I’m surprised that both shows, which are strikingly similar in nature, were renewed. But, I’m not complaining.

29. m3rcnate says:

This is great news, I am really enjoying both (Dark Matter more).
    However, i would like to see Defiance get at LEAST a 2 hour TV-movie to wrap up the series. A middle ground is a 8-10 episode season, and the high ground is a full season pickup (13 episodes) to wrap up the series.
    I would also like to see Dominion get picked up. I really like that show. Its fun, its interesting, its sexy, its got a really good cast, i just dig it.

30. suzyku says:

Glad to hear they renewed Dark Matters, very good show, Hopefully they’ll renew Defiance, too. Didn’t care for killjoys, kind of mediocre.

• prish says:

Dark Matters has turned out to be one of the best shows on TV with excellent writing and acting. A show doesn’t have to be cutting edge or unique to be good.

31. Roger Canada says:

Triple WOOHOO for Dark Matter !!!
    little woohoo for Killjoys

32. Mare says:

YES, KILLJOYS!!! More Johnny, Lucy, Dutch, and Pree!! Hopefully some Alvis and Pawter too!

33. Rick Katze says:

After the cliff-hanger ending and all the unanswered questions, if Dark Matter had been cancelled, I would have been tempted to …

34. WayneAdneyC says:

So… Is That why…Julie Benz will be on Hawaii 5-0? Is she jumping ship early or does she think she can juggle two shows at once. Let’s remember 5-0 is a full season episode order and Defiance is only 13 eps. I like to brutal-honestly know why when stars appear to jump ship or board another after 2-5 seasons it suddenly seems to spell a horrible end to a show. Seriously, what is wrong with the networks canceling the fan favorites and money makers?

35. Erica says:

I’m excited for all of Syfy Friday to be renewed!

36. Dominique says:

yayyy happy about dark matter! :D

37. Snsetblaze says:

I hope that Defiance is renewed. Its the best of the 3. I also hope Dominion is renewed because it has been very good this season.

38. Garbski says:

Please bring back Defiance!

39. Bill Batcheller says:

Dark Matters, well scripted, well acted, & good special effects filled my summer sci fy jones!

40. Mary S says:

I used to watch Warehouse 23, but they cancelled it. My ONLY time spent with SyFy is now devoted to FaceOff, which is one of the few reality shows I like.
    IF SyFy ever gets clever and brings back Warehouse 13, I will be back. In the meantime, FaceOff is it for me.

• Simon Jester says:

Buh bye, then. I liked Warehouse 13, too… but it had gotten pretty stale by the end. They concluded it at the right time.

41. S says:

I’m most happy that Killjoys was renewed, because I absolutely loved it. My favorite show of the summer and one of my favorites of 2015 (so far). I hope more people check it out now that it has been renewed so that season 2 gets better numbers.

Dark Matter was underwhelming, considering the pedigree, but I am happy to see it returning. I was most impressed with the actress Melissa O’Neil and her character, Two. Also enjoyed the Android and Five characters.

42. Robert Hines says:

Dark Matter is the best science fiction show I’ve seen in awhile. It was created by the Stargate guys, but if Richard Dean Anderson shows up on it, I’ll be done watching it.

43. meatwad says:

Great great great!!!!!

44. michael says:

ALL THREE SHOWS ARE GREAT TOGETHER LIKE ALL OF THEM ONE OF YOUR BEST PROGRAMS IS DEFIANCE EXCELLENT SHOW…ALL THREE ARE LINED UP TOGETHER WHICH MAKES THE NIGHT COMPLETE DO NOT RUIN IT FOR YOUR FANS OF YOUR CHANNEL…TOO MANY OTHER CHANNELS ARE TAKING GOOD SHOWS OFF DO NOT JOIN THOSE RANKS TOO MANY RUIN THEIR CHANNELS BY GETTING RID OF GOOD PROGRAMS THEN REGRET IT WHEN IT IS TOO LATE…DUMB…KEEP DEFIANCE…..

45. N says:

Awesome! Love Killjoys and Dark Matter is getting really interesting so that’s a win there. Now renew the always entertaining Defiance because SyFy’s programming, so far, is so much better than the major networks’ stuff. Show ABC, FOX, and all the rest how it’s supposed to be done.

46. Ginny Dawson says:

Wonderful news about Dark Matter and Killjoys going to a second season. Would like to see Defiance go to a 4th season but accept that it could just as easily finish with Season 3 due to the way it ended.

47. DavidSask says:

Defiance is ONLY SYFY show I watch, although it had satisfying conclusion, it has enough viewers to bring it back! I am also certain their show would be within budget as well!

48. Joey Padron says:

Happy Killjoys got renewed! Can’t wait for season 2!

49. Gerald Evans says:

Happy the Killjoys are back for season 2 ! Excellent show and cast.