Wes Craven Scream

Scream Boss on Wes Craven's Death: 'We Were Sucker-Punched'

In the wake of Sunday’s news that horror legend Wes Craven died of brain cancer at 76, the team behind MTV’s Scream is still reeling.

“Everyone on the show is kind of stunned,” executive producer Jill Blotevogel tells TVLine. “We were sucker-punched, and I know the world feels the same way, because he didn’t make his health issues public. I’m still a little sad.”

Craven, who directed all four Scream movies, also served as an executive producer on the small-screen adaptation. Blotevogel confirmed that MTV will pay tribute to Craven in some way during the show’s Season 1 finale on Tuesday (10/9c).

“It feels pretty natural [to honor him]. The Scream finale would be nothing, it wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for Wes,” she shares. “I’m sure there will be a moment-of-silence element to it. I’m not sure exactly what form it will take yet.”

1. DL says:

I’m a huge horror buff and I can’t thank him enough for all he’s contributed to the genre and to film as a whole. Rest well, Mr. Craven. You have enriched my life for sure.

• Ioana D says:

You’re right. I respect his work, his debut and early movies. He changed a lot in the movie world and was a good director.
      Sad to find out he’s gone, but shall he rest in peace!

2. You will be missed it won’t be the same without you since you made popular movies you are awesome 1 fan you will always be respected you are the director I ever knew rest well mr craven .

3. Kymberly says:

Actually had opportunity to meet him. He was an exceptional Man who was never too busy for an up and coming talent.

4. Liz says:

So bummed to hear he passed away. Scream was the first horror movie I saw without knowing the outcome. And I only saw it for Kevin Williamson but it turned out to be a great movie with a great twist.

5. Jon says:

You know what would be the best way to honor him? Lose that Brandon James mask and get the real Ghostface mask and make Emma move to Woodsboro because she wants to get away from all the death and what have you and there she meets Sydney Prescott and that’s how you honor a legacy.
    RIP Wes. You were taken too soon.

• I like this idea, reveal that one of the main characters is part of her family tree.

• Olivia says:

Actually I’d love to see this the other way around with a Sid cameo. But I totally agree re the real Ghostface mask. It wouldn’t be hard to pull off story-wise either because if we assume that Scream is a movie: there’s a ton of pop culture references in the show, so it can make sense. And if we assume that Sidney Prescott exists in the show’s world, then they can copycat their way through it.