Downton Abbey Trailer Tees Up Bittersweet Final Season

“If I could stop history in its tracks, maybe I would,” Lord Grantham opines to Mr Carson in the just-released trailer for the final season of Downton Abbey. “But I can’t, Carson, for neither you nor I can hold back time.”

Translation: The period phenom is coming to an end — and there’s nothing you can do about it.

The Season 6 preview (embedded above) sets a predictably somber tone, offering fleeting glimpses of all the regulars looking mostly downcast. In fact, in one snippet Lady Mary appears to be dressed for a funeral.

“We can promise a final season full of all the usual drama and intrigue, but with the added excitement of discovering how and where they all end up,” executive producer Gareth Neame said in March.

Press PLAY above and then hit the comments with your thoughts-theories-hopes for Downton Abbey‘s swan-song season (premiering Jan. 3 on PBS).

1. Spotted: an American flag waving a top the house?

2. Belle says:

So bummed…the end is coming and none of us are ready. Wish we could watch it the same time the Brits do, waiting until January is just so down right mean :(

• Victoria says:

Welcome to what the rest of the world experiences ALL THE TIME with not just TV but Movies that may have been produced in their own country but are released in the US first.

3. Gail says:

So are there going to be flash forwards to see what happened to everyone. I thought one of the scenes where Bates and Anna are hugging looked like an older Anna. Now I am not sure.

4. Susannah says:

It’s sad to see the show come to an end, although I understand it needed to as the stories just weren’t as compelling anymore (how many times can Bates and Anna go to prison?) I’ll still miss the characters and the sumptuous look of the show. It looks like Edith will find love, so that makes me happy and hopefully Carson and Mrs. Hughes will get married before the end of the show and live happily ever after.

5. LD Avery says:

Mary’s not dressed for a funeral. That’s her riding outfit.

Americans *shakes head*

6. Yolanda says:

I just hope they won’t go the most predictable way and do not kill off Violet. She deserves her happy ending. We don’t have to see her dying on screen.

• S. says:

Julian Fellowes already said he’d never kill off Violet. If Maggie wanted to leave, he said he’d send her to the seaside or something on holiday. He’d have to completely change his mind and I don’t see him doing that, not even as a way to wrap up her storyline in the series.

7. Z says:

Aww Mr. Carson kisses Mrs. Hughes’ forehead! So sweet!!

I still can’t believe it’s the last season!! I don’t want it to end!!

8. craig says:

I’m paralyzed.

9. Ann says:

Sorry, I`m not ready.. I AM NOT READY

10. Did I miss Isabelle? Where was she?
    I assumed they would kill off the Dowager Countess, but Isabelle would be more shocking.

11. EM says:

Sad music and sad trailer. I know it will be great. Just have to ignore all the chat before it airs in the US. Really wish this last year would run at the same time as it does in the UK.

12. Jakay says:

I guess Bates is there as the guy Anna is hugging, but seriously, we need ten shots of Mary in this trailer, but not even one of Bates’s face or Isobel at all? I was afraid they were both leaving the show before the last season or something.

13. jake says:

This makes me sad..love this show..but of course all good things must end. One of the best written and acted show to grace TV in a long time.

14. Sammy says:

Its mean they gave us only 6 seasons!!! We needed 10. And a flash forward to 2015 with George’s children and the Dowager who outlives ALL of them.

15. Tony says:

If, like me, you’re wondering what the artist and title of the song is from the trailer, it’s Lauren Aquilina’s ‘Time to say Goodbye.’

16. Mr. Tran K says:

The trailer made me cry.

17. Genesis says:

So I’m hoping for a baby Bates, the identity of Green’s killer, Hughes and Carson getting married (I knew they had something from the first ep, and it took 5 freakin’ seasons for them to even talk about it), Edith still ending up with no one (otherwise we won’t be able to keep saying “poor Edith”), and cameos of all previous characters who aren’t dead, or maybe the dead characters could appear in dreams or something. Because this is already going to emotionally charged for everyone, why not go for the max capacity. Oh, and I think Downton should go to America at some point. They’ve been talking about it, why not just go? And I want Daisy to find somebody whom she likes and who likes her back.

18. Jo knatz says:

they are like family and we will miss them so.

19. S says:

When Edith is dressed up in the gold beaded gown and fur, and there is a man in front of her who turns slightly to profile, didn’t it look like Charles Blake (played by Julian Ovenden)?! I don’t know how I feel about this!

20. Marti Blair says:

im so sad to see the series end im so in love of all british old period sagas. i watched from series 1 to now wating for final series in 3 days what a wonderful delight for me and i liv in usa but nothing can top british acting