Comic-Con

Alison Brie and Cast of Teachers Preview 'Shocking' TV Land Comedy

When Alison Brie first watched the web series Teachers, her immediate thought was, “The world needs more.” And now, thanks to the Community actress, “They’re going to have it.”

The project has since been adapted into a 30-minute comedy, airing on TV Land this January. Starring the all-female improv ensemble The Katydids (who executive-produce alongside Brie), the series follows a group of six elementary school teachers, none of whom actually have it together in their personal lives.

As star Katy Colloton told Michael Ausiello in our Comic-Con interview suite, “You don’t know what your teacher is like outside of school, and that’s what we’re trying to explore.”

Other topics covered in TVLine’s Q&A with the cast: why TV Land was a perfect fit for Teachers, and which of the six main characters is “a little bit Ms. Frizzle, a little bit Kramer.” (You might be surprised!)

Press PLAY above for a preview of the series, then hit the comments with your initial thoughts!

1. Sarina says:

This looks hilarious! Will definitely check it out

2. Mr. Tran K says:

Can’t get enough Alison Brie. She was so hilarious during her amazing run on Community.

3. DJ Doena says:

“none of whom have it togetherin tehir personal lives”

Isn’t that true for almost all TV characters these days?

4. Kristina says:

Sounds like a fun show! And of course I’m excited Alison Brie has a new show. Looking forward to checking it out!

5. Bob Backus says:

I’ve seen an ad for it, it looks about as funny as some of the other boring shows on TVLand. That network desperately needs to find new writers who aren’t just re-writing shows from the 1980s. The show looks horrible, but really should watch it and decide for yourselves. Maybe the network has finally done something new. (How many shows from the 80s,90s,00s showed teachers in their private lives- I can think of 5 including the one from several years ago named Teachers staring Sarah Alexander from UK’s Coupling) Did TVLand get their unused scripts?

6. Karen Brierly-Reagan says:

I watched the show last night after the MTV Awards quite by accident. I loved the show! I started researching it to find out more about it and found this! I am one who will be spreading the word to watch this show come January! I literally can’t wait! I love comedies! So glad I saw it and will be watching for it! I agree … I want more! NOW!!

7. Dick Whitman says:

Seven white women. That’s different. Not saying it’s good or bad just looks out of place from the usual diversity in a cast.

8. John says:

Your commercials tell the complete story of our country’s absolute moral decline. So you want kids to view this garbage? On TV Land?

9. Mike Caputo says:

You should be ashamed of yourselves for having a student say “Jesus Christ” as a response to something he’s unhappy with. I’m not a right wing evanglical but I doubt you’d have him say “damn Muhammed” as a response. Its not funny, sarcastic or shocking . Just stupid.

10. Erika says:

I’d like to make a comment about the new series, Teachers. During the 27 years I have spent as a public educator, I have often thought that there should be a reality show based in an elementary school. Upon watching this pilot, I am disgusted and sad! There are SO many hilarious things that happen in a school every day! I wish that the writers would have spent time in a school or talking with teachers in order to get information for a show! I found no humor here, no teacher humor, no student humor. I will do my best to encourage anyone and everyone NOT to watch this program:( However, should the writers be interested in some REAL and hilarious stories, I would be happy to oblige! I’m all for laughing at the profession and and the workings of a school, I just think it should and could be accomplished with some “class”.

11. Mary C says:

I watched some clips of Teachers and find it totally unfunny and insulting to everyone involved in a school. I saw a little of the trial run last season and I can’t believe they made more. All of the teachers I have seen on the show are unstable. I don’t get what is supposed to be funny about teachers who don’t care about their students and think it’s a kick to date a drug dealer but you decide for yourself.

12. Bob says:

I’ll make sure to turn the TV off when this program comes on

13. Alyson says:

Copyright iand blatant violations of privacy to film such are protected against profiteering. I suggest you consider that befoore you claim an originalwork as your own.

14. kathleen says:

why are teachers being portrayed as stupid and rude?