Complications Cancelled

Complications Cancelled at USA Network

The prognosis for USA Network’s Complications is looking grim.

The drama — about an ER doctor (Vegas‘ Jason O’Mara) whose life takes a dangerous turn after he witnesses a drive-by shooting — has been called after one season, our sister site Deadline reports.

Season 1 of the drama wrapped on Aug. 13 when O’Mara’s Dr. John Ellison and colleague Gretchen more or less put one set of complications behind them — by striking a deal with the gang leader who had been lording over them, and staging their murder of a dirty cop to look like a gangland shooting — only to get a phone call that hinted at a whole new mess of problems.

The series debuted to 1.9 million total viewers and a 0.4 demo rating, but by the end of its run had slipped to 1.4 mil/0.3.

In addition to O’Mara, Complications also starred Jessica Szohr (Gossip Girl), Beth Riesgraf (Leverage) and Lauren Stamile (Burn Notice).

Are you bummed by this cancellation? Surprised? Whatever you’re feeling, drop it in a comment below.

1. NP says:

What will it take for Jason O’Mara to get a good show?

• Lizo says:

Right?!?

• prish says:

He has had three spectacular shows, so far, with tons of fans enjoying every minute.

• A show based on a comic book…

• jax says:

YES! Jason O’Mara deserves a good show that lasts more than a season!! Loved both Life on Mars and Terra Nova.

• Mike M says:

It will take a show actually MADE “inside” the network. Complications was from Fox 21 TV Studios, USA didn’t “own it. Almost all their new pilots and renewals are being made by internal sister company UCP. It’s all 100% about owning distribution, TV Line don’t explain this, though their sister sites do. Exact same reason for Forever’s cancellation and many others. Was a time these would have been easy renewals, but not any more.

So now when you start to look at a show you need to know not just the network it’s on. but who made it. If it wasn’t the broadcast studio’s production studio you are probably in deep deep trouble come renewal time, because if the show tanks it won’t be renewed, and if it does well the renewal price goes up and there is no associated “gain” in the DVD and online sales for the broadcast network.

Basically you have to own your “car” if you want to run it for multiple years, leasing is now just way too expensive, you just throw it away in year two and hire a new one.

• chaosrainz says:

Let’s put him and Goeff Stults on a show together. Maybe 2 wrongs will make a right?!

2. Dean says:

A show that stars Jason O’mara getting canned what else is new?

3. wrstlgirl says:

You suck, lol. Well not you Andy, but dang. Jason O’Mara is such a good actor I really wish he could find steady work :-( I enjoyed this show, oh well.

4. Andrada says:

This was one of the best summer shows I’ve seen in years! I can’t believe it’s been canceled after just one season, when each episode was only getting better and better! So upset over this :(

5. Zoe says:

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS SHOW!! First Rush, now Complications.. Dang, this SUCKS!!

6. m3rcnate says:

Called it on TVLine in your “USA Pilot Teasers” post back-when. Didn’t look like anything special, didn’t give it a shot, and turns out to get cancelled, aka the way TV series go now.

• Esteban says:

It’s like you’re a wizard or something.

• m3rcnate says:

No, just a really good track record of calling what shows will get cancelled or not.

• lechatnoir says:

i watched the first episode . It wasn’t mediocre but just the Ol’ medical show with a twist like that Mob doctoress a couple of years . I wanted to catch up but now i have lost interest. Omara needs one of those nextflix super hero movies but my guess is he is too generic to be interesting.

7. Mr. Tran K says:

Once again another failed series for Jason O’Mara and he still can’t catch a break on TV.

8. johnhelvete says:

The show had a very good pilot and had a good season overall despite a few flaws (I think the wife should have found out what was going on earlier in the season). I would have watched season 2 but I am not that upset that the show was cancelled. Cheers to the writers for not ending season 1 on a cliffhanger.

9. Esteban says:

Very bummed about this, the show was a fun blend of ridiculous and intense. O’Mara needs his own curse breaking “Mister Robot” now.

10. Roberta says:

Jason O’Mara was good, but the actress who played Gretchen was obnoxious. Don’t think I could have watched another season with her in it. Hated everything about her character, rude, abrasive, selfish and irritating.

• MzTeaze says:

I didn’t like her acting style. I think that’s why the character seemed abrasive. It also didn’t help, IMHO, that the plot could have been easily resolved & the main characters wouldn’t have ever had any reason to interact with each other outside of work.

11. Laura says:

Love love the show
    Could hardly wait for the next week to see what happens
    Please don’t cancel this awesome show

12. Rich Parker says:

Even though the plot was insanely hectic (…and I thought my life had problems!), I really liked this show. Sorry to hear it’s cancelled. Hoping against hope maybe they change their minds.

13. steves11 says:

I’m not really surprised. It was pretty much one of those shows designed for one season. I thought it was a good show though and I enjoyed it a lot.

14. it will be missed but life goes on…. it is just the complications of life… missing it already

15. nate says:

Wtf first Hindsight now this. This is a terrible day

16. prish says:

The husband says, “A tragedy in American entertainment has happened. We finally got a nail biter on TV. Bummed, say bummed.” From me: this was a show we tried out because we were big fans of Vegas with O’Mara, and Complications became the highlight of our week. Cancelling it is a mistake, and I look for some suit changing its status, up the road.

17. Relieved!! Couldn’t stop watching (like a train wreck), but couldn’t wait until it was over.

18. Benington says:

Honestly, I really never got into this show. Loved the stars and thought it was well acted but plot seemed so far fetched. USA channel is a mess. What happened to the heyday of the network, when we had 4400, Dead Zone, Burn Notice, White Collar, In Plain Sight, Covert Affairs, ( early seasons ) I love Suits and Mr. Robot and enjoy Playing House but I do not care for Graceland, although I did enjoy the first season. They cancelled so many good shows like Rush, I enjoyed Fairly Legal and Common Law. Plus they put many of these cancelled shows on Friday at 10pm with no lead in, like the last two shows I mentioned. What do they expect. I purposely did not mention Royal Pains, because they keep on renewing it, although it way past it’s prime. Wake up USA, with your poor programming decisions, even if you get a another good show, no one will be left to watch it.

• Emor says:

I too have stopped watching USA. During the heyday you mentioned, there was a time when I watched FIVE of their shows during one year! White Collar was the last one I watched. Bring back the fun USA!!

• The Watcher says:

At one point in time (very briefly) USA Network was doing what few other Cablers were doing without more money and a much higher profile, they were launching success after success with a philosophy of “Characters” as the primary focus not “Contrivance of Circumstances”

• cookie says:

What is wrong with the powers that be at USA network? ? I have loved all the shows they have cancelled, 4400, Rush, Complications, A Burn Notice, why, can’t they get this right? ? These were very good shows! ! THey Need To Stop This Just Like ABC, they hook u on these shows them take them away from us. I’m done with USA network until they work this out. Unfortunately the fans suffer. Plz, plz bring back complications !!! This so sucks.

• Of all the shows you mentioned, I was a big Fan of Burn Notice, whose Creator/Writer MATT NIX also had the show Complications…now ‘DOA.’ It was based on something personal that happened to him in his life. Switched setting to E.R. & Dr. and Nurse. I loved it. It was the E.R. vs. The Hood. Edgy. I too love Suits and Mr. Robot. Suits had highest ratings. Mr. Robot renewed same week before it aired. Graceland I love but lower ratings than SE. 2 and faces being dropped from what I read. Nothing Good Lasts!
      USA Network Corp. needs to clean House and get people in there who will take a chance on shows, just like they did with Mr. Robot. They had no clue as to ratings. I don’t like that they cancelled the Finale based on VA Shooting. If every Show or Film did that, the entire Film/TV World would lose Millions! The mere Fact the producers /creator of Mr Robot stated it was based on a ‘similar scene in the show’ doesn’t change the fact that the Ep. will still air, on 9/2. It changes nothing in VA shooting to family & Staff, unless the show changed the ending entirely; which I doubt they did. I hope MATT NIX comes back with another show, OR that possibly Complications gets picked up by another Network. The viewers should also have a say so.

19. Lee Jackson says:

I got a haircut the other day and the entire salon buzzed with enthusiasm for Complications! I hope they reverse their decision and give us another season.

20. Amy says:

I love, love, love Jason O’Mara! And one day he will have a show that everyone loves. I saw a rerun of The Closer recently when he played the arsonist….he was awesome!

21. Jooshua says:

I thought this show was really good. Underrated for sure.

22. Catherine says:

Aw man!

23. Soni Wells says:

Hopefully another network will pick it up. This is a great show, well acted, with a wonderful cast!!!

24. James D says:

Boooooo! Poor Jason O’Mara he just can’t catch a break. I thought Matt Nix was your boy USA what the hell. why you do me like you do.

25. Tracy says:

This is really disappointing. My DVR is backed up with a ton of stuff but I kept watching this one, week after week! What a shame!!

26. Jenifer weber says:

DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW!!! It is awesome. Lots of twists and turns!!!!!! Fell in love with the show. Keep it!!!!!!!

27. Melisa says:

Why don’t we call Tv what it really is Reality Shows they crank those stupid things out seems like weekly I guess they think that is what we want to watch nothing but garbage

• Diane says:

Boy do I agree with you Melisa! And I HATE REALITY SHOWS (except So You Think You Can Dance)

• WORD!! Spot On Melissa! They should hire you to keep the good shows in and get rid of all the Reality CHECK Shows that are endless! Why can’t the people have a say in the shows? SUITS highest ratings. Mr. Robot renewed before it aired! No one knew whether that show would be good or not. I do like it. Finale this WED. 9/2.

28. JBC says:

This show was great. Complications would probably have gotten another season if it was owned by NBCUniversal, USA network likes to renew their own brand. Just like White Collar,, Complications is a Fox Television Studios production. Would be nice if another network would pick it up. Complications was well acted,with good storylines,

• There you go! Maybe and hoping another Network will pick up Complications from USA. I was glued to the show! It’s a MATT NIX ‘Burn Notice’ Creator/writer show. USA needs to clean house with whoever is making decisions. ‘Mr Robot’ a Hacker show, also USA, was renewed same week it aired without knowing the raings! SUITS had highest ratings. Google it for chart of shows. Graceland has lower ratings from SE. 2. I love that show. All the good shows END! Why is that? Get rid of Reality TV & bring back some real music on MTV!

29. Babygate says:

That wasn’t too great of a slip in the ratings. I’m surprised it was cancelled. I never watched because the subject matter did not appeal to me and most of all, I do not like Jason O’mara. Every show he’s on is a bomb. I tried Terra Nova in spite of him and couldn’t last more than a couple of episodes because of him. Good luck to the whole cast though. Hope something comes along for them soon.

30. Diz says:

All episodes are sitting on my DVR still. I guess there’s no need to start watching them. It was next on my list after getting through my backlog of Mr.Robot this weekend.

31. Maryann says:

I hadn’t gotten around to watching this one yet, but if it was cancelled on a cliffhanger, I will just skip it.

• prish says:

There was no cliffhanger. The series was wrapped up. However, the doc had blown up a building that made fake chemo drugs three episodes prior that would have provided a complication for another fun ride of episodes, next year.

32. Joann says:

Complications became too complicated for me after three episodes and I couldn’t waste anymore time on it. Jason O’Mara really needs something better to work on.

33. Imagecrafters says:

No. Liked this show and Mara. Every time I start watching a show these days it feels like it gets canceled. A

34. Clandestine Green says:

Maybe they can now explain why he disappeared from The Good Wife…I guess JM didn’t like him

35. Barnes says:

My husband and I truly liked the show complications. It is so sad that the network didn’t really give it enough time to take hold. We were looking forward to next season. Darn! It seems all the best shows are taken off while reality shows increase. Ugh!

36. Lexi says:

I blame the promo dept… every 30 seconds their is a promo for Mr Robot (like the show) do the other shows get this type of blitz NOOOOO!! You barely get a promo right before the show starts. Get with the program.. Save our shows! And Colony is Falling Skies

37. Jess says:

once again USA proves they are run by a bunch of idiots. This was a very good show and a good lead in to Graceland. Jason O’Mara is an awesome actor and I hope he finds a show that won’t be cancelled.

38. Judy says:

I liked that one.

39. cookie says:

OMG-GOSH Jason Omara was so good in this show! !!! Why, I was so looking for a 2nd season. I loved this show, I dvr ed it and watched it while it was live. What more do the want from a fan of the show? ?? USA network needs to get their s*it together, and stop this madness, take Sky fy channel for instance, they know how to keep shows going and develop a fan base. What a shame.

40. Doug Henning says:

I enjoyed it not only for the lead but his wife played by Leverage Fav Beth Reisgraf.. Almost didn’t recognize her at first… I think the non-Universal ownership was a prime reason.. it was a fun show but somewhat over the top.. As pointed out, they at least finished the story in the first season..

41. Jan says:

I barely made it through the first episode … depressing and too unbelievable.

42. Whatevah says:

Booooooo

43. Complications on USANetwork. No 2nd season!I’m shocked! This is a show from the ‘Burn Notice’ Creator and Writer, MATT NIX. That show lasted many years. I’m sad that USA Network made the decision to drop the show based on ratings, but that’s how networks operate. Too bad WE didn’t have a say in it. I looked forward to this show weekly, and it was a great storyline that kept you on the edge of your seat. Not the norm for an E.R. Doctor to be held against his will, with the help of the nurse; to save a young boys life, whose Father is in prison and head of a Gang. Wishing the cast and crew all the best, as well as Creator, MATT NIX! … P.S. Any Graceland Fans…doesn’t look like the show is coming back, also based on ratings. Google it and you will see a chart of shows renewed like SUITS, (highest viewing) and new show Mr. Robot was renewed for Season 2, same week it aired. People like the HACKERS!

44. If you are mad that ‘Complications’ on USANetwork is gone. FANS of Graceland, be prepared. Google it for a chart of shows Renewed on ratings. 3rd SE. ‘Graceland’ was lower than 2nd SE. Bummer if it goes. I love the show! SUITS had highest ratings!

45. angel says:

Nooooooo!! I loved this show and have been waiting on word of a renewal. What is wrong with the people running this network? USA has canceled every good show they’ve had, canceled the new shows that were entertaining, and continuously advertise for shows that I would have never thought would have made it past a few episodes. In addition, Mr. Robot was renewed before the first episode even aired. How is that even possible? If they cancel shows based on ratings, shouldn’t they renew shows based on ratings?

• Agreed! The ratings were not that high for Complications. Maybe another Network will pick it up. ‘Mike and Molly’ on CBS for years, a show I never heard of, or saw till FX picked it up, Is hilarious! I rarely watch NETWORK Shows. I like ‘How To Get Away With Murder’ on ABC with Viola Davis! Brilliant show for 1st Season! Empire is also good on Fox. I like the Entertainment shows like The Voice and American Idol who will end this next season coming up. America’s Got Talent is ok too. I don’t understand how Complications was cancelled, aside of the ratings; since Mr. Robot as I stated above to others, was picked up the 1st week prior to Ep. 1 airing. The USA Network stated it was ‘Edgy’ and based it on renewing the show.. prior to..the 1st Ep. even Airing! Seems pretty biased to me! If any show was ‘EDGY’ it sure was an E.R. setting with a DR. and a Nurse (who kicked A**) fighting to keep a boy alive at the threats of the Father in Prison, head of a Gang. It was E.R. vs. the Hood! That’s EDGY! Just as Edgy as Mr. Robot, all about the Hackers! I like the show, but it seems to teach people how to HACK! Scary! The give away in Complications was when the HOOD was getting shot down….especially the ending by the corrupt detective!

46. tahina says:

Ugh another one for Jason! Bad juju? :(

47. Laura Bencivengo says:

It kills me to see another Jason O’Mara show cancelled. I’m almost afraid to watch anymore because I ALWAYS like them, and him, and then the rug gets pulled out from under me. Dumb.

48. Anlagen says:

Jason O’Mara has been in three great TV series any one of them which would have been great had they been given the chance to develop. Some shows that came very close to being cancelled but went on to be tremendous hits – ER, Friends, Everyone Loves Raymond, and Sienfeld. I think USA made a serious error in judgement when they cancelled Complications. Networks, pay attention! People love Jason O’Mara.

49. Marty says:

I wish the network would reconsider their decision. I really liked this drama and the acting was great. It always left me wanting to know what happened next. In a world of senseless reality shows it was great to have a quality show to watch. I’m getting tired of getting into a show only to be left hanging when it’s cancelled. Please bring it back!

50. Marci says:

I really wanted to like this show because I really like Jason O’Mara, but the storyline was so depressing and unpleasant, and improbable, I couldn’t take it anymore after 4 episodes and stopped watching.