Game of Thrones Stannis Alive Season 6

Game of Thrones: Stannis Lives!

Reports of Stannis Baratheon’s death have been greatly exaggerated… in the Game of Thrones source material, at least.

A fan recently asked author George R.R. Martin, via a comment left on Martin’s LiveJournal, whether Robert’s throne-hungry brother was still alive. The question is relevant given the end of the HBO series’ fifth season, which led viewers to believe — but did not actually show — that Stannis had been killed by a vengeful Brienne of Tarth. (One of the series’ directors later confirmed that Stephen Dillane’s character was, indeed, dead.)

“In my books?” Martin replied Wednesday. “Alive, beyond a doubt.”

Interesting, no? On one hand, the HBO series has (and continues to) divert from Martin’s epic saga, so this means nothing. On the other, perhaps we can now move Stannis into the Catelyn Stark/Lady Stoneheart category: AKA “Characters we have a glimmer of hope we’ll see again.”

By the old gods and the new, here’s a poll!

1. Ryan says:

They haven’t gotten to that death scene in the books. This has no bearing on the TV show.

2. Azerty says:

I don’t care one bit about Stannis since he burnt Shireen alive. I was rooting for him to be king until 509 but after that no way. when I saw Brienne going for a kill I was more than happy.

3. mklopez says:

SPOILER ALERT guys, for the Old Gods sake!!!

4. webly3 says:

When I saw this post, I thought this was about the TV series and I was pissed. Thankfully it was about the books because Stannis deserved to die after the unspeakable thing he did to his daughter.

5. Mr. Tran K says:

Started to hate Stannis ever since he burnt Shireen in the second to last episode of Season 5. Hate to wonder if the series gets rid of him during next season or in Season 7.

6. SG says:

I hate Stannis. He bored me before, then I started to despise him, so I hope he’s dead.

7. Joey says:

The showrunners haven’t cared one bit about Stannis or his importance in the story since his introduction. If anything, they’ve written his character as one who is power-hungry, even willing to murder his own daughter to get to his throne, whereas in the books he does everything in his power to protect Shireen, even leaving her at Castle Black and telling his men that if he should die, they should still fight to put Shireen on the Iron Throne.

At least in the books Stannis the Mannis still lives.

8. Martina says:

Based on the comments here, I’m pretty much the only one who doesn’t hate Stannis :D.Yes, even after he burned his own daughter. I mean, he didn’t do this because of fun. He was very disgusted at the thought when Melisandre brought that topic up first. He did this because he felt he had absolutely no other choice. And you could tell that he felt incredibly sorry and guilty. I mean, what were his options? His food was gone, the men were exhausted, many of them sick, there weren’t much horses left either, and no matter what he would’ve decided, he would have lost dozens of men due to starving and frostbite. Anyway…..
    (maybe Spoilers ahead, but all in all it’s just assumptions)
    I’ve read that the producers say they don’t want to change the final outcome of the series that GRRM had planned. So I think it’s save to say, even if Shireen (and Stannis, for that matter) still live in the book, they pretty sure won’t make it to the end…. I also read somewhere that the producers said they didn’t make up the “Stannis burning Shireen alive” scene completely. I felt they were basically confirming that Stannis will do the very same thing later on in the books too.

• You can try and justify it all you want but you aren’t going to convince the vast majority of people who have consciences that burning his daughter to death was justified. They could have turned their asses around and marched home. Instead of accepting defeat, he became a servant to his own ambition. And let’s not forget that he gained nothing from sacrificing his daughter.

• Veer says:

He gained nothing because the showrunners are dishonest and have gone rogue from the original story in the books, it’s literally not even close! They just want there bullish black and white sexy characters, Jon and Daenerys to turn into cliche fantasy tropes instead of giving the more interesting characters a chance, this recent season was such a disgrace and we should demand better!

• Veer says:

It literally made no sense that nothing came out burning Shireen. Oh ok you can birth some shadow demon, Mel, with just a little bit of Stannis’s mojo but burning the kid sure doesn’t work! If you bother to think about it it makes little to no sense, they skipped a lot of logical steps to kill him off and for what to keep a few mustache twirling villains around that will be unceremoniously killed next season. Stannis wasn’t meant to be the hero king that takes back the kingdom, he was meant to be the antagonist we deserved, the one we got to watch build up over time, instead he was reduced to some obligatory character that was used to further the plot if they had no other options. It’s a shame the actor was absolutely perfect for the role as well.

9. ScottJ says:

Its not just an interview with one of the directors that said Stannis is dead. Gwendoline Christie (Brienne) said he is – there was no way her character would let him live (and she doesn’t have any idea why the episode didn’t make it clearer) – and Liam Cunningham (Ser Davos) has told reporters how sad he was to see the actor leave the show. Stannis is also dead in various official GoT games.

10. damroberts744 says:

Stannis has never been a character who I could get behind. I have the ones I root for (Jon Snow and Dany) and the ones I loathe (Cersei and Lord Bolton). Stannis is almost neither heroic or villainous.

• Veer says:

That’s what made him great he was beautifully grey and more interesting than most of any of the other characters really

11. Jules says:

I hope Stannis is dead. I’m still really upset about princess Shireen.

12. Brittney says:

In the books that are currently released yes Stannis is alive. Doesn’t mean he can’t be killed off in Winds of Winter…

• Mike R says:

This, I mean Martin isn’t going to spoil Winds of Winter, so it is not a surprise to hear that he is still alive in the books. I already knew that. However I will be super shocked if he ends up surviving Winds of Winter

13. Karen says:

He is dead. I think George only meant meataphorically.

14. StanFan says:

Stannis didn’t burn his daughter. D$D did.Not only it was totally against his book character,but it was against his show counterpant too.Book Shireen is alive and well at castle black.There is no way that he both looses the battle and burns Shireen,so it was just poor writing,cheap shock value and rushed,to promote their favorite dictator Daenerys.
    I am surprised that some of you fell for it.

15. Veer says:

Stannis is a more interesting character then the Boltons this show is kind of lame now.

16. ZeArtKing says:

Don’t steal other people’s art and not give credit.