Shondaland, Alias Scribe Developing Secretive Nuns Drama for ABC

Doctors, “fixers,” lawyers, fraud investigators and… nuns?

Shonda Rhimes’ Shondaland shingle is developing a drama project for ABC, our sister site Deadline reports, that follows a group of Catholic nuns who are fighting off the closure of their Bronx convent.

Adding to the sisters’ troubles is the arrival of three newbies who threaten to uncover (figuratively…?) “long-buried secrets.”

Rhimes and Shondaland partner Betsy Beers will exec-produce with creator Alison Schapker, whose past credits include Lost, Alias, Brothers & Sisters and The Flash.

The prolific Shondaland already has three shows on ABC’s fall schedule (Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder), while a fourth, the Mireille Enos-fronted (but troubled) The Catch, will make its debut at midseason.

1. Al says:

I call for a network rename to Shonda’s Broadcasting Company

2. m3rcnate says:

You lost me at “Shonda Rhimes”. Pass on the wave of prime-time soap’s. Pass on the cheating, melodrama, love triangles, crazy situations, etc.

3. RabbitEars says:

I love me some scandalous, secretive nuns. Go Shondaland.

4. Jean says:

Not sure about the plot, but I’m a big fan of Alison Schapker. Almost Human, gone but never forgotten.

5. K says:

If this can be like “Doubt” (an amazing film starting Meryl Streep and Amy Adams) on TV, then I’m all for it

6. Eric says:

As long as Shonda Rhimes isn’t the showrunner/head writer, then I’ll tune in. Shonda has a knack for creating great shows, but then ruining them a few seasons into their run. That’s why I’m not worried about How to Get Away with Murder or The Catch. They are Shondaland productions and she produces them, but she isn’t the showrunner. You put Shonda as the head in the writers room, it’s destined to be ruined within 3 or so seasons. So just as long as someone else is the showrunner/head writer, I’ll give it a shot. Because let’s be honest, Shonda can create some pretty good shows. She just lets it get to fame/success get to her head and goes way off course. Besides, she thinks she can throw whatever BS she wants at the viewers and they’ll eat it up. That might have worked 2 or so years ago, but I think people are finally catching onto her BS.

• Dude says:

Shonda has little to nothing to do with HTGAWM, one of her students created it.

• Lizo says:

It’s a product of her empire, she of course has oversight on it, making sure they do things in line with her ‘rules’ so it remains a Shondaland product. Her fingerprints are all over it.

• We have yet to see if that is true. If HTGAWM is still good when it reaches the 4th season then yes. Because Shonda seems to be cursed with the 4th season. 3rd season of Grey’s Anatomy was one of my favorites and then the 4th one was a bit painful to watch. The same thing happened with Scandal

7. Lizo says:

I’m there. Sounds awesome!

8. Sharon says:

Sounds offensive

9. Rae says:

ABC has killed TV for me…..im so tired of SR shows, ABC has taken off to many good shows like Forever and replaced them with SR shows that just are not that good!!!

10. So it’s a show about nuns having sex. And talking about sex. And having more sex.

11. herman1959 says:

Um, I don’t know about this one.

12. AnnieM says:

ABC should forget this and just bring back “Nothing Sacred” instead.