Fall TV Preview
NCIS Renewed for Season 14

NCIS: Harrowing Season 13 Trailer Spoils Gibbs' Shocking 'Death'

Exactly four weeks ahead of the Season 13 NCIS premiere, CBS has let slip with a brief trailer — in which Gibbs is in bad shape after being shot by The Calling’s young recruit, Luke.

“We pick up right where we left off,” showrunner Gary Glasberg told TVLine as part of our in-depth Fall Preview Q&A. “He’s rushed into surgery on an aircraft carrier, where we hook him up with the surgeon on the ship played by Jon Cryer (Two and a Half Men).”

As shared earlier this month by the NCIS cast, Gibbs’ injuries are not to be taken lightly. “He goes through a really traumatic experience, that kind that changes someone,” Glasberg said. “Really, the whole first half of the [premiere] is this emotional roller coaster ride, of Gibbs’ surgery.”

Press PLAY below to see just how dire things get for Gibbs, who at one point is seen… walking into the light?!

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

1. dman6015 says:

Oh, sure, like they were going to kill off Mark Harmon.

2. Shar says:

Gibbs, Schmibbs.. I hope this is not an intro for replacing Ducky!

3. Znachki says:

So Matt, how many posts do you have in the pool? Because you can’t tell me you don’t have one. ;-)

4. Elle says:

Lol, this show is so cheesy.

5. Joshua Reguin says:

Love this show! Can’t wait

6. DianeR says:

Didn’t they already explore how Gibbs dealt with being blown up? And he was nearly killed in a diner a while ago too. I’d like to see how Bishop deals with being shot.

• Dean says:

fair warning your comment replies to this are going to be very long.

• Leia says:

Yup they did, he quit, and no he wasn’t nearly killed in the diner, he was winged, it was a ? throughout the episode, about paths not traveled or if things hadn’t transpired the way they had in his past. Bishop got shot already but had her vest on, oh fish sticks. This time innocence bites back hard, and betrayal by a child is a heady brew.

7. Jennifer says:

They can’t kill him off. No. I refuse to believe. I see Shannon and Kelly telling him to go back, his team needs him, he still has work to do yadda yadda with the requisite Mike Franks telling him to move it. Then Gibbs will be haunted by this for the rest of the year, setting up his retirement at the end of this season.

8. Mr. Tran K says:

Fans of NCIS would be disappointed if Gibbs doesn’t survive and I’m not 100% sure on how Jon Cryer would fare in his first post Two and a Half Men gig.

9. Chris says:

This show really needs to end soon! Now they’re casting “Two and a half men” actors! I stopped watching when this blonde fiasco aka Bishop joined! Sounds like there is Harmon and lots of other cheap actors who don’t steal the show from Gibbs!

• Dean says:

yet you still find the time of day to whine and moan about it. Lord only knows how your parents deal with you.

• Kate says:

When you don’t watch anymore, didn’t you abdicate your opinion to those who have?

• Leia says:

cheap actors? So now MW and company are cheap actors. Cryer was one of the highest paid actors on TV, paid more than MH. Facts please not whiny rants.

• Mr. Tran K says:

NCIS has been TV’s #1 show for God knows how many years and Mark Harmon is still the heart and soul of the series since Day One and I still have mixed feelings about Emily Wickersham’s character since Cote de Pablo left. I’m not 100% sure on how many more seasons NCIS has left depending on how long it will end and the execs at CBS even Nina Tassler would make their decisions sometime in the near future.

• No, they’re casting an actor with an impressive resume, which includes his most recent role on Two and a Half Men. What do you care, anyway, since you haven’t watched in a year and a half?

• Darlene says:

I’m sure any show would love to have a two-time Emmy Award winning actor guest star in a recurring role. I was not a fan of ‘Two and a Half Men’, but I do respect Jon Cryer’s exceptional acting talent. I’m happy that he’s lending his talents to NCIS.
      I also think the entire NCIS cast is talented (and cheap actors they are not), and I find Mark Harmon to be very giving as an actor.

• Em Cooper says:

So, you stopped watching when Bishop started, (that’s what–almost 2 years?) Yet, here you are, whining and carrying on the usual rants. As far as insulting the entire cast as “cheap actors”, well, I think I caught second hand dumb from reading that asinine remark. Be careful, your immaturity is definitely showing.

• Paula says:

If you feel the show needs to end then just stop watching it. They are still running because they are the ones making the ratings which leads to $$… and who is going to turn that down, really. Why not share it around. In the earlier episodes SG1 and SG Atlantis cast appeared which felt familiar. Both military and both human rights advocates, much better viewing than alot of the shows that really need to end soon! Not too mention that the show updates me on with current affairs around the power countries. What are you doing stalking a website that all you can do is bag it? Go do your hater stuff where it really matters… with the other haters!

10. Kate says:

While we all know Gibbs won’t die, I love the faux-suspense of this plot. Also, LOVE Jon Cryer as the doctor! I know he’s only a guest on the show, but the one line, “…mind if I lead?” made me want to see him as a recurring character somehow.

• Darlene says:

He’s going to be on more than one episode. Maybe 3 as I understand it. But I could be all kinds of wrong about that.
      We need Matt to confirm that for us.

11. Larc says:

Like anybody ever thought for even a moment that Gibbs might be dead. I would have bought the possibility if Harmon had croaked or bailed or with an announcement that CBS wasn’t renewing NCIS for a 13th season. Otherwise, no.

12. bj says:

hmmm…I guess he’s going to flatline and have a near death experience. They definitely won’t kill him off. *volunteers to help nurse Gibbs back to health.*

13. Kim R says:

Can’t wait! :D

14. GEORGE says:

IT WOULD BE NICE TO BE ABLE TO “HEAR” THIS TRAILER!!! DUH

15. DeaK says:

I love this show, but seriously, it is hard to take an injured Gibbs seriously. Bomb blast (season 3) – he “retired” after fighting for his life; shot by Ari (season 1); shot again (season 9); shot even worse (season 12); the bomb blast at the end of season 9; hit by a car pushing McGee out of the way…just saying, the shots rang out last May and I didn’t flinch.

• Leia says:

You forgot drowning. That actually was the only time he fought back from death. In Hiatus he wasn’t badly injured, just shocked into reliving his traumatic past. Ari winged him, as did Steven Rose, they were all in jeopardy in the bombinginseason 9. The car wasn’t serious either, as he just pushed McGee out of the way, and they’d shot the guy, in the car, I actually loved the response then, kicking the car funny.

• Erin says:

Yawn. Another Gibbs near death experience. Yawn. Another season focused around brooding, tragic, martyr Gibbs. Yawn. Another season of idiot, maligned Tony. Yawn. No one but Harmon matters. The other actors might get their one and dones if their fans are lucky, but it’s become the Gibbs Show. Yawn. It’s what tptb want, not me and other fans who don’t worship at the altar of Harmon (blasphemy), but it’s what we’ll get. 100% guaranteed.

• Kathy Doyle says:

Then why do you watch a show that you despise that much? You do know there is a button to change the channel!

• Kathy Doyle says:

I’m not trying to be rude or a smart mouth. Just wondering why you would waste your time watching a show you don’t like.

• Crystal says:

Kathy… Good answer, I’m laughing now, and I saw no rudeness, just the plain and simple truth…… Why comment negatively, with so many other options, change the channel, done, and done….. Click!

• Em Cooper says:

Yawn. Another whiny complaint by Erin. Yawn. Another plead for the entire show to be only about Tony. (Poor, poor MALIGNED Tony!!) Yawn. It’s all about Gibbs. (No one but Harmon matters). Yawn. Lather, rinse, repeat. YAWN. We all get it Erin. You are not only so predictable but rather boring as well. Continue to stamp your little feet, no one ever gets sick of your spiel–insert massive eye roll here. Would you care for some cheese with that whine??

• Leia says:

Stamp you little girl feet some more. The rest of the cast greatly respect their leader MH. Is it really only up to you what the rest of us want to see?

• Kathie says:

DON’T WATCH THEN, DON’T COMPLAIN.

16. Emma says:

Love this show! Don’t want it to end. There are lot of different story plots from which the show’s writers can scaffold. The possibilities for story plots on this show are endless. All of the actors and actresses are talented. It doesn’t even seem as if they are acting. They mesh like a family. The team fights and competes as if they are siblings. Vance is the father. Gibbs and Ducky seem like uncles.

17. Jake says:

It’s been predictable one-dimensional pablum for those who like their shows simple. I stopped watching years ago but like to stop in occasionally to read these stories and get a laugh.

18. Hay don’t get rid of Gibbs OR Boss he makes the show it was bad enough when you took Dvie or how ever you spell her name but not Gibbs he is special like all of the others are special leave Gibbs please!!!

19. Please DON”T take Gibbs out he makes the whole shoe who will hug Abby like when she needs to be hugged or bring her a soda? Gibbs makes the whole show you already took one person off please don’t take Gibbs too. Please help him get better not die.

20. sadtonyfan says:

The whole first half of the premier is Gibbs going into the light with Franks and daughter Kelly guiding him back? Geeze when did this formerly original clever series about a TEAM of quirky talented screw balls turn into a series about the never ending mawkish traumas and tragedies of Gibbs? I miss the old days when ALL the team members were allowed to matter. I think that they will get rid of Tony this season. Probably in disgrace since it’s pretty obvious that tptb have ordered the writers to make the character as unlikable as possible. It’s just sad what the current show runner and e. producers have done with this show. It’s gotten really dumb. Lowest common denominator writing.

• John NYC says:

Loved the strawman setup! Slow clap.

That scenario for that first episode is pure speculation , really dumb or not that’s an episode no one has seen and yet…

Ah the interwebs.

• Leia says:

I think that Tony will shine this yr. stop being Marvin the robot. And of course if you are a Gibbs lover this is just as hard, but you don’t hear them berate the writers. They only hope their fav will continue to be there. Some did say they would stop watching if Gibbs dies, that would likely include me but that’s called life. See how easy it is to admit that I could stop watching? No foot stomping no whinny recriminations. Just a fact. Their choice where to take the cast and mine to be or not to be there. Super ready to see where they go this yr, with both Gibbs and Toby.

21. Francie says:

Do Not kill Gibbs!! Nor Ducky or any others of the team… it would ruin everything that is so great about this show.

22. gary says:

I hope Cryer is only temporary. He has a history of killing shows, and don’t want this show ruined by his lackluster acting skills. He only survived 2 & a half men due to Charlie Sheen barely carrying him.

23. Brett says:

They may give GIBBS a more senior role eg Assistant Director like Granger in NCIS LA. Directing the field agents rather than being an active field agent.

24. leslie says:

I would like to see Gibbs retired don’t kill him off

25. Chris says:

I can’t believe that they could or would ever kill of Mark Harmon. This show is my favorite and I watch it faithfully, reruns, marathons, and I know that it is the #1 show. I love all the characters that in the show and really don’t want to do without. My wish is only to someday have the opportunity to meet any of the characters. As I face major surgery next week, I know that I won’t be doing much work, so my eyes will be on the reruns for NCIS. Please, never take it off. Not to mention Michael Weatherly makes one laugh, and so handsome for any part he takes. All the characters are terrific and they play them perfect. Thank you.

26. I have not watched NCIS since Ziva left!

27. I have not watched NCIS since Ziva eft.

28. I have not watched NCIS since Ziva left.

29. WayneAdneyC says:

In spite of new territory to explore with Gibbs…The Actor Mr. Harmon isn’t getting any younger…and not to mention he has his hands dipped in too many honey jars as is…The fatal Bee sting might still be around the corner for Gibbs in the near future…like reaching season 20 to outdo “Law & Order” episode count.

• Sue says:

It’s amazing to let the rumor mill run with a story of taking Harmon out, you do realize he is a producer on all 3 shows?! It would be difficult to remove him unless he wanted to go – just as Kote left, because she wanted to do other things. Yes it’s hard to get used to new characters and some work and some don’t but that doesn’t mean the show will end. Look at Criminal Minds, still going strong and a number of actors have gone on – also another of my favorite shows

30. sherry says:

Can’t wait for the new season. I am getting sick & tired of everything you read is just about Tony & Gibbs, and it is the same reports, enough already. They are not the only two people on the show. How about reporting on everyone else & what is going to happen to their characters. Report something new.

31. Caitlin says:

Okay they have done too much to Gibbs, killing his family, blowing him up and killing Kate, and Jenny, and Mike. Now they get him shot and nearly killed…hopefully only nearly…he deserves to get someone back…hint hint…we miss Ziva

• John NYC says:

LOL: He was written as the most coldly indifferent to that character’s leaving. “She’s gone, move on” or words to that effect without even looking up from his paperwork. So a recurrence of that character might do someone a “favor”, perhaps Abby, but definitely not Gibbs without some serious rewriting.

• Crystal says:

Caitlin … Good call….

32. Dawn Reno says:

NCIS has been my #1 favorite show since it began. I am hoping that Ziva returns, I would like to see more of her & Tonys relationship blossom. Please do not replace Ducky! Without ALL of the original cast members it just wouldn’t be the same! I’m looking forward to Jon’s entrance on the show, it will be interesting to see how he bonds with Gibbs!!

• John NYC says:

So then it’s like every classic “cliffhanger” going back to when the REALLY hung the actress off the Oslisades Cliffs before movies had found: the draw was in HOW the star got out if the predicament, not “if”. Pauline was always going to make it: the gal had a contract!

33. Vicki kasupski says:

Please don’t kill off mark Harmon. NCIS won’t be the same. I love this show and all the others too

34. Vicki kasupski says:

I love NCIS please don’t kill off Mark Harmon. It won’t be the same

• John NYC says:

Well with all the endless complaints about the current show and cast maybe TPTB feel, WTH, let’s really shake things up!

35. Donna R says:

Don’t kill Gibbs n there will no reason to watch NCIS. N bring Ziva back Emily sucks.

• John NYC says:

Well the title says he dies “NCIS: Harrowing Season 13 Trailer Spoils Gibbs’ Shocking ‘Death'” and Ziva isn’t coming back so bye bye!

• Gary says:

Dies with a question mark??????/

• John NYC says:

Actresses say a lot of things when they try and resurrect their career. Her fan fiction isn’t of any weight, it’s what Harmon and the other show powers have in mind. And she burned a lot of bridges. Oh and so Tony is cheating on Zoe? Too bad lately he’d been written as a lot better than that. Or it’s just Cote fiction?

36. Marmae Hardin says:

Please tell me this show is not coming to a end my god I love all the cast members, please tell me there coming back this September for the year

37. Steve dellavecchia says:

Gibbs can not die. He is the star. He is what made ncis what it is. I for one would be upset to see him die.

38. Gary says:

It won’t happen this season but Zeva is coming back and Bishop is starting to look like a has been, so Gibbs will be the center attraction for The most of the next season, I think ( just my opinion ) and when Zeva comes back look out, cause sparks are going to fly with Tony!!

39. Shannon says:

I have always loved the Gibbs show and although I have doubts about the recurring theme of Gibbs having near-death experiences, I think there’s a possibility this will have a lasting effect. I would really love to see Gibbs have at least one heartfelt conversation with Tony, telling him that he respects him. Mostly, I think Gibbs needs some humility. I want him to recognize that he can’t do it all.

I’m not familiar with Jon Cryer’s work, but I was left scratching my head when I first saw him in those scrubs. I really hope he exceeds my expectations! It should be interesting to see him working with MH.

40. bjgdird says:

I really hope you not kill off Gibb he makes the show and does drink Starbucks coffee??????

41. Goldie says:

I want Gibbs to have a romantic relationship.

42. Eneda Armour says:

Ncis has been a must see show. The entire cast is special, however Gibbs is the glue. I hope his death is not where the story line is going. I miss Ziva she kept Tony in check. I know the actors might get tired of playing the same part. In the non Hollywood world lots of us have gone to the same job for 20 years, not seasons. And your pay is a lot better. Keep it up your family.

• Margaret says:

I am sorry but Harmon’s character may lead the team but it is another character that holds the team together and that would be Abby. I have watched since season 1 and Abby is there for everyone during every situation. I also hope this show doesn’t end and I think that the addition of Bishop is just to show a different way of looking at things. Getting a new perspective maybe what we all need when looking towards the new season.

43. R burton says:

Ok I’ m just skimming over the comments here and I have a question. If the majority of y’all don’t like the actors, the plot, etc., then why on God’s green earth do y’all watch AND waste time arguing about it?

44. OMG he’s the show, I just can’t miss this one. I love Gibbs. Not that I don’t love the rest but he leads the team. I just am nubm.

45. Dennis Rosenwald says:

My wife loves gibbs alot she’d be real upset if he was killed off.say it
    Isn’t so, because she will make my my life a living hell!.

Thank you. Ps. Love the show.

46. james says:

Without Gibbs n Ziva … ncis done

47. susan says:

Killing off Gibbs would be a very wrong move the ratings would fall very fast has he is NCIS
    who agrees with me?

48. Michael Jarboe says:

Are they going to have the cast of New Orleans show come on here again this season like they did last season?

49. Craig says:

I would like it that Gibbs finds out that his wife and daughter have been in witness protection to give him peace. Poor guy needs it.

50. Janie says:

I’m so glad the new season is starting soon! Don’t let Gibbs die! I’ve caught up on the show in the last few months, only started watching the season Ziva left. Love the show and all the actors! Love when Robert Wagner visits, he’s a hoot! 😀