Unauthorized Full House Story

Did The Unauthorized Full House Story Have Mercy on Your Fond Memories?

As it turns out, Danny Tanner was an even bigger downer than you thought.

Or, at least, that’s what Lifetime’s Unauthorized Full House Story would have us believe. The two-hour movie, which debuted Saturday night on the cable channel, purported to relate the behind-the-scenes drama that went on as the ABC sitcom rose to popularity in the 1990s.

One recurring theme: Bob Saget really, really hated playing clean freak/overhugger dad Danny.

Aside from that, even according to a project intending to out the most salacious real-life OMG moments, there just wasn’t that much gossipy fodder.

RELATED Unauthorized Full House Story: Hear From ‘Uncle Jesse’ Himself!

Among the telepic’s reveals and/or WTFull House moments:

* Dave Coulier became Uncle Joey as a sort of consolation prize after having — then losing — a slot as a Saturday Night Live cast member. Also, the Coulier mullet wig is on. point.

* Bob Saget was too edgy for a CBS morning show; when he was fired from that gig, he somehow managed to wiggle onto Full House despite the fact that the pilot had already been shot… with someone else playing Danny.

* The actresses playing the Olsen twins were, like, 5… right?

* Series creator Jeff Franklin revised his network pitch for House of Comics on the fly when ABC wasn’t enamored of his “hip” concept about three feckless stand-up comedians living together. After he added some kids, everyone was on board!

PHOTOS Fuller House: First Photos of Nicky and Alex on Set of Netflix Revival Series

* Candace Cameron was “only OK” in her audition, but she insisted on a second reading and got the part. (I guess wild gesticulating was the key?)

* At one point, Coulier and Saget joked that the show eventually would reveal that all three of the guys were gay… and John Stamos believed it for a hot minute.

* Was anyone else thrown by the fact that the set looked nothing like the Full House set?

* Stamos and Saget butted heads from the beginning, though more in a “annoying brother” way than in a “I’m going to try to get you fired” way. The guys’ bonding trip to the least populated casino in Las Vegas seemed to ease tensions.

RELATED Fuller House: Olsen Twins ‘Teetering’ on Deal to Join Netflix Revival

* Coulier liked to fart… a lot. His flatulence was even on display when the cast learned about the Season 2 renewal.

* Saget once got reprimanded for dancing around the set with a dressmaker’s dummy.

That’s supposed to be Paula Abdul? Really?

* You have not lived until you’ve heard Justin Gaston playing John Stamos playing Bob Dylan.

* The Olsen twins’ parents quickly realized their daughter’s popularity, much to the chagrin of the show’s cast and powers that be.

* Saget, Coulier and Stamos once got high on whipped cream cans during a live taping of the show.

* Everyone had a great time at Cameron’s wedding to NHL player Valeri Bure in 1996, but Jodie Sweetin’s great time — a harbinger of terrible things to come — conveniently didn’t make it into the film.

What parts of the movie had you saying “Huh?” Favorite moments? Most egregious scenes? Sound off in the comments!

1. S says:

The set bothered me so much!!! I wondered if there was a legal restriction…?!?!

• Daya says:

Yes! I read an article in the paper that it was for copyright reasons. I’m like the only person on the planet who seems to have seen it.

• irishrose4583 says:

I figured! It was the same with saved by the bell. None of the sets were right. the I’m so excited scene wasn’t even in a bedroom, and school colors were wrong. drove me nuts though because those sets are so iconic and its REALLY obvious!

2. Steven says:

Really boring. Not much went on behind the scenes. Can’t wait for 90210 and Melrose Place. Those should be fun.

3. Joni says:

The set being different was a definite distraction. Not much was shown that I hadn’t heard before.

4. Tom says:

He was never called Uncle Joey on the real Full House. It was always Uncle Jesse and Joey. Really pissed me off during the movie when even they got it wrong.

• Lane says:

THIS!!! He was just Joey. Even people who talk about “you Oughta know” call him uncle Joey and it’s wrong

• Some chick says:

Actually, Michelle called him Uncle Joey several times in the series. The other girls never did.

• Tom says:

Never happened. Give me the episodes and I’ll eat crow.

• Nicole says:

I thought that in the episode ‘Leap of Faith’ either DJ or Stephanie called him Uncle Joey… I just can’t remember which one it was

• thisismenow says:

In the series finale when Michelle has amnesia she also calls him Uncle Joey.

• dman6015 says:

From the series finale script, ‘Michelle Rides Again, Part 2’:

Stephanie: And this is our room.
            Michelle: Are you sure I don’t live in that room across the hall with all the toys?
            Stephanie: No, that’s Joey’s room. But he’s very good about sharing.
            Michelle: He’s my uncle, right?
            DJ: No, Jesse’s our uncle.
            Michelle: The guy with the hair.
            DJ: Right, and he’s married to our aunt Becky, and they have two kids, our cousins Nicky and Alex.
            Michelle: How many bathrooms does this place have?
            DJ: Not enough

• GraceM says:

You’re right about that. Anyone who watched the show would know he wasn’t called “Uncle”.

5. melissa says:

The actors who portrayed the original cast were aweful. I also agree the set was distracting since it wasn’t the originial. And the Olsen not coming for reboot “Fuller House” need to remember they wouldn’t have what they do if it weren’t for Full House….not a fan of them.

• GraceM says:

Rumor has it they’re in talks to make occasional appearances in Fuller House.

• Patrick says:

I’d love for them to switch off playing the role, even in mid show or mid scene, and have no mention of the different appearances. I’d even have them wearing different outfits.

• LK says:

They havent acted in quite awhile… and are really busy with other stuff so its probably tough for them… they also look really different these days so not sure how they could play the same person… maybe one of them could make a guest appearance.

6. This movie was a huge waste of two hours of my life.

7. Rachael says:

Pointless movie. Terrible and boring

8. GraceM says:

The mention of the Olsen twins: “daughter’s popularity” the “s” and apostrophe should be switched around and read “daughters’ popularity”. After all, its Olsen twins….

9. At least one of the Olsen twins didn’t retire from acting–one of them did a multi-episode arc on “Weeds” in which she was pretty good. I never watched “Full House” (yes, I feel blessed), but I did watch this terrible movie tonight out of curiosity. I wanted to see if it would give me any insight into the current pop culture phenomena that is causing all these terrible Reagan era comedies to be resurrected (Boy Meets Girl’s World; Coach; Fuller Brush House; etc.) My only conclusion is that a lot of Americans have lousy taste. At least Twin Peaks and X-Files are coming back, which I applaud.

• Angela says:

“Boy Meets World” was after the Reagan era, actually :p. Clinton was president when that one came around.
      But yeah, this revival/continuation of ’90s era shows is interesting. Isn’t that generally how it seems to work, though, that after 20 years or so, anything’s apparently up for a revival or comeback?

• wooster182 says:

Boy Meets World was not terrible. Or from the Reagan era.

• LK says:

The weeds appearance was back in 2007, they havent performed in at least five years.

10. Jules says:

It was not bad but it fell short of expectations…

11. Lynne says:

The set was different for legal reasons. With this being an UNauthorized story, meaning that no one from the show was involved in this, they had to change the set to avoid copyright lawsuits from the show creators and ABC. Same thing was done with SBTB’s movie. Now if Jeff Franklin and all did this, they would’ve been able to use same setup because it was theirs to begin with.

12. Cali says:

I hadn’t realized Bob Saget was married to a Canadian woman.

13. SayNay says:

It was just “meh”. All of these Lifetime Unauthorized movies just make me miss E! True Hollywood Story.

14. Diz says:

Maybe I had too high of expectations for this. I just found it boring, not funny, and nothing to trainwreck laught at. Dissappointing compared to the Saved by the Bell one.

15. Cort says:

I didn’t hate it. Nothing happened to ruin my decades old love for the show which makes me happy. The set did throw me off as well as the age of the younger actors. Don’t get me started on the guy supposedly playing Scott/Steve

16. BG says:

This was much better than the Saved By The Bell movie. The guy who portrayed Danny, was very convincing. Kimmy character too! I began seeing this actor as Danny, and thought he could be cast in Fuller House if the original actor didn’t want to participate. Wonder in the Olsen’s scenes, was that their real mother who would hide behind the couch, and tell them their lines?

• Ann says:

No, the lady behind the couch was a crew member who read the lines out for the Olsens to repeat. I remember reading about that somewhere.

17. Linda says:

I kept falling asleep so didn’t see the entire movie but what I saw was just awful.