Yvonne Craig Dead

Yvonne Craig, TV's Batgirl, Dead at 78

Yvonne Craig, best known as Batgirl in the 1960s’ Batman series, died Monday at her home in California. She was 78.

According to reports, Craig was battling breast cancer that recently spread to her liver.

The actress played Batgirl (and her alter ego Barbara Gordon) in nearly 30 episodes of Batman. “I used to think the reason they hired me was because they knew I could ride my own motorcycle,” Craig said in Les Daniels’ Batman: The Complete History. “I realized they hired me because I had a cartoon voice.”

Her additional creditsYvonneCraig_StarTrek included a Season 3 Star Trek stint as an Orion Slave Girl (right) as well as guest appearances on The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Fantasy Island, The Many Lives of Dobie Gillis and The Mod Squad. More recently, she provided the voice of Grandma in Nick Jr.’s Olivia

Craig is survived by her husband, Kenneth Aldrich.

1. Laura Keenan says:

I always thought she was such a natural beauty! A shame she had no children. She will be greatly missed! I am so sorry for her husband, know he must if loved her a lot and misses her greatly! God Bless you Bat Gurl! Love and Hugs!!

2. Billie says:

RIP You are among a lot of great actors and actresses.Family and friends Thank u for sharing such wonderful roles.God Bless ..

3. Joey Padron says:

sad to hear about her passing. she was a great Batgirl on show. my thoughts and prayers are with her husband and family.

4. Tim says:

Like Lynda Carters’ Wonder Woman, she’ll always be the best Batgirl!

5. Steve F. says:

One of the best additions to the Batman TV show – and I had no idea that Yvonne Craig could ride her own motorcycle! RIP…

6. Mr. Tran K says:

She’ll always be TV’s Batgirl in our hearts forever. RIP :-(

7. Ro says:

:-( Very sad. Loved her.

8. Luis says:

So many wonderful memories from childhood. I watched “Batman” reruns every day after school. RIP, Yvonne. i will remember you fondly

9. Cassie says:

Yvonne Craig was the first one who made me believe that girls could do anything boys do.

RIP Batgirl. 💜

10. BMcKee says:

I loved Yvonne Craig as Batgirl (although at the time I was too young to have a celebrity crush on her) because she could kick serious villain tail. I understand that had the show gone on to a fourth season she would have had a bigger role. However it was only when I saw the show later that I noticed a blatant bit of 1960’s sexism: the cowling on Batgirl’s motorcycle was trimmed with lace. Maybe it’s better that the show didn’t get a fourth season.

11. RUCookie says:

She and WonderWoman filled my childhood with images of girlpower… not one of my friends ever uttered that girls couldn’t be superheros because she “ka-pow”ed with the best of them. RIP BatGirl. May your legacy spur more women heros for the young girls of today!

12. ChrisGa says:

She was always my very favorite thing about the ’60s Batman series. Not to mention, Batgirl had a better costume and accessories than Batman or Robin! Loved her.

13. A says:

I am so sad to find out another part of my childhood is gone I freaking LOVED her as Batgirl she kicked some serious but on the show. May she rest in peace you always be the original Batgirl in my heart.