Last Week Tonight Video: John Oliver, Rachel Dratch Tackle Televangelists

John Oliver officially out-John Oliver’d himself on Sunday night.

The host of HBO’s Last Week Tonight chose fraudulent televangelists for his latest target, exposing several false prophets for the greedy, deceitful life-ruiners they really are. (My personal favorite is the preacher who commands his viewers to “act happy” about the private jets he recently purchased. In cash.)

Oliver could have stopped there, but as is tradition, he took it one step further by creating his own (legal!) church known as Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption. And who better to serve as Pastor Oliver’s fake wife than Saturday Night Live alumna Rachel Dratch?

Hit PLAY on the 20-minute segment above — which is well worth your time, in case that might be an issue — and drop a comment with your reaction below.

1. Fido says:

He cured my Lupus.

2. Roger says:

Christian televangelists are the greatest con men. Neal Caffrey would be proud.

3. Matt says:

My lupus now has its own overdrawn credit card. I think I was touching the screen wrong.

4. Me says:

Anyone actually call the number yet?

5. Allen says:

I say this as a religious person myself. those late night TV televangelist are the worst and a lot of them are running scams. Need to be locked up

• Jonathan Carpenter says:

They do need to be locked up. That does not mean he should stick to safe targets. I would love to see him tackle Boko Haram, Al Shabab or ISIS.

• Cobalt says:

He tends to pick subjects that most people either don’t know much about or don’t realize are a such a problem. Pretty sure everyone agrees ISIS are evil, they aren’t a great target for an expose. And he has done shorter segments on them, like just last week I think about how they were scammed by some girls from Chechnya.

6. Jennifer says:

John Oliver outdid himself last night for sure. It was a fantastic episode!
    A visit to http://www.ourladyofperpetualexemption.com/ states that “Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption may choose to wind down and dissolve in the near future. Upon dissolution, any assets belonging to the Church at that time will be distributed to Doctors Without Borders, a non-profit charitable organization that is tax-exempt under § 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (EIN: 13-3433452) and which provides emergency medical aid in places where it is needed most.” Way to go John, way to go.

7. Jonathan Carpenter says:

I would love to see it when he tackles Radical Islam. Then again, I should not expect much from a Mr. Bean knock off like John.

• Wordsmith says:

I think that a takedown of Radical Islam might be a bit too “mainstream” for his unspoken mission statement.
      He deliberately picks the targets that nobody else is really talking about and explains why more people should really be outraged and trying to take action. Islamic extremism is pretty much the opposite of “low profile” in the public discourse these days.

• Jonathan Carpenter says:

He picks safe targets that no one will criticize. I mean bashing Televangelists or Republicans what is the worst that can happen? Somone writes a letter or calls someone. If he condemned Boko Haram, or ISIS’s treatment of Christians, Gays or those they deem to be bad Muslims, what would happen? He would be dodging sharing bunks with Salman Rushdie.

• Wordsmith says:

And, just as an aside, John Oliver has about as much in common with Mr. Bean as Jon Stewart has with Scooby Doo or Ace Ventura, Pet Detective.

• Jonathan Carpenter says:

He has no where near the talent of Monty Python, Laurie and Fry, and Blackadder. That is real British comedy! John can do better if he trys more.

8. Pat says:

I watched this earlier on another site and Oh My God, this is unfortunately true about all of these Televangelist. John has nailed it and has also made me hysterically laugh. I love the new church, ” Our Lady Of Perpetual Tax Exemptions”. Just keep me hysterically laughing, John and please, please, never heal me of this. What A Preacher!!!!!

9. JB says:

A pretty easy target.
    I had great hopes for the show but they lost me in the first episode when they did the rant about global warming.
    I’m not a skeptic about it, but it seemed an easy and predictable/PC choice for what should be an edgy show. The early days of SNL were edgy, you never knew what to expect but this show seems to play it well within the current PC guidelines.
    What’s next, mock Nazis, animal abusers, child abusers?

• Ryan says:

Oh please do go back and give it a shot. He’s done brilliant pieces on things I’ve never even really thought of, like bail bonds, nuclear power, drones, chickens (yes, chickens)…..and they’ve all really informed me, even when I thought I was already well informed.

• Alice says:

He takes things that are boring and makes them interesting. Usually deliberately un-buzzy topics- Infrastructure. Net Neutrality. Food Waste. Patents.

10. Kay says:

Every time I watch John Oliver (which is every week) I find myself nodding along like a maniac through the whole thing. Amazing journalism! Politicians should really take notes.

11. Angela says:

This segment was awesome :D. Now this is a church I could get behind :p.
    Yeah, that pastor who bragged about his private jets was…eesh. And then the female one he focused on (blanking on her name at the moment)…she was a real doozy, too. The megachurch/televangelist movement has always creeped me out. It’s scary how easily they can suck people in, how easily people can fall for their BS.

12. Cheryl says:

Sorry, those who are stupid enough to send all of their money to televangelist deserve what they get. Sorry, if you believe these people will cure you if you send them cash, hell, I have more healing powers than they do and the money would be better spent. Darwinism needs to be enacted on those who believe any televangelist and their con man ways.

• Angela says:

On one hand, I agree with you, but on the other hand, if somebody isn’t exactly mentally “there”, or if their branch of their faith has been overtaken by someone who’s taken it to some sort of warped cult-ish extreme and brainwashed them deeply, or whatever, it’s easy to see where people like that would get suckered in. These sorts of situations aren’t always just a case of people being stupid or gullible.
      And the bottom line is, whether they willingly choose to hand over their money or are duped into it, the people taking it from them are still obviously scammers and it should be illegal for them to do what they do in the first place. The fact that they can get around IRS rules (which aren’t very strict to begin with) and claim their whole thing as some sort of a religion when it’s really not is insane, and there should be more being done to stop these people from pulling this crap to begin with.