Kathie Lee Gifford Returns to Today: Watch Her Tribute to Husband Frank

Kathie Lee Gifford reclaimed her seat at the Today show Monday, marking her first appearance since losing husband Frank Gifford on Aug. 9.

“I want to thank everybody for your love and your texts and your tweets,” Gifford told viewers at the top of the fourth hour. “Just the outpouring has been extraordinary,” she said. “It’s a heck of a way to find out how loved you are. Believe me, my family and I got great strength and comfort from it.”

Gifford went on to explain how her late husband — who spent 12 seasons with the New York Giants, ultimately winning the MVP award in 1956 — grew up in poverty during the Great Depression and never took his eventual success for granted.

“I’m grateful that the Lord took him [instantly], because the only thing that Frank has ever been afraid of his entire life was being a burden to those he loved,” she concluded. “He never wanted to be hooked up to machines. He never wanted to lose his dignifity. I thank the Lord for that, for his grace to us as a family, and I pray his grace to all of you as well.”

Watch Gifford’s full tribute to Frank above, then drop a comment: Are you glad to see her back at the table?

1. Nannie Cooper says:

Glad to have you back. Must have been some kind of wonderful. Hugs to you and family

2. Such an amazing tribute and an extraordinary presentation of the Gospel. You go girl!

• Theresa says:

You could have changed the chanel! She was sharing her story of her loss. One day you may be wearing those shoes! When they get kicked off your feet I hope you have the strength to stay up and still walk!

3. CourtTV says:

While I understand her grief is strong and it’s her prerogative but I felt like she was trying to convert me in her Christianity.

• Guesting says:

I felt the same way CourtTV. Though I think she came back on TV too soon, it was her choice to make. Grief is an individual thing and there’s no right or wrong way. Her tribute was moving for the most part, and I wish her and the family well, but just got a little too preachy at certain points.

• GeoDiva says:

I felt like I was watching The 700 Club.

4. Abe Froman says:

Yes, the invisible Space Daddy will make everything all right.

• JB says:

Let her believe what she wants…no skin off your nose..or are you trying to ban her religion?
      Tolerance goes both ways.

• Jean Ramsay says:

Well, it might take some time depending on how much of a mess one’s life is, or what difficulties they may face, but give it a try. What do you have to lose ??? Space daddy might be the answer…. It certainly is more uplifting than cynicism, bitterness and anger, all things that dry up the spirit….

• Henry C Dobbs says:

Surprised you didn’t call the Almighty, the “Sky God.” like 99% of agnostic/atheists do every day. Would the flying spaghetti monster work as a substitute? It seems to work for several. Would incredible amounts of Slack make your day? Bob with his pipe seems to chill with others. There’s a different Bob I’m thinking of, though; Bob Dylan’s “You gotta serve somebody”

As far as the 700 Club goes, that was such incredible nonsense and Bakker should have never gotten back on TV in Branson after his prison stay. Some have no shame. Tammy Faye was a hideous, 61 pound scarecrow on the Larry King show, days before she passed.

5. Chevy says:

Thank you Kathie Lee … truly brought tears to my eyes…I’m So happy you mentioned our Lord …as always people will have negative things to say..but who cares ! I praise God you stood your ground on faith ! So sorry for your loss. God bless you and your family.

6. Mr. Tran K says:

It made me cry to watch Kathie Lee’s return to the Today Show and her husband’s tribute in honor of Frank’s memory. :-(

7. The Dude says:

I don’t know about you, but if my parents gave me a rock for a graduation gift I’d be piiiiiiiiissssssed.

8. Grace M says:

I didn’t even know he had died. What was the cause?

9. Carol says:

So happy you had almost 30 wonderful years and two beautiful children together; the best present from GOD. I got a late start and was expecting my first when you were expecting Cody. Love you and you are in my prayers. Wish we could all go like Frank did. Carol

10. Jean Ramsay says:

What a wonderful testimony… What an amazing thing faith in a living God is. I pity all those who don’t know it. God bless Kathy Lee for sharing and expressing her hope and gratefulness. A true blessing…

11. kim coker says:

Dear Kathie, I too lost a husband of 23 years in 2001. This is a very difficult time i know but the Lord is sooo good,I pray you feel his arms wrapped around you in love and grace.You and your children will come out on the other side of this stronger and knowing where Frank is and that hes waiting for you. Lots of love and prayers to you and yours, Kim Coker

12. Darlene says:

What a beautiful tribute to Frank. Sounds like he was an amazing person! This brought tears to my eyes. Your strong faith in Christ is obvious; so glad you shared the hope we have in Jesus with the listeners. God’s love shines through in your life. Please know how much your listeners love you. May God’s grace and strength continue to see you and your family through this time.

13. Kate Ceccarelli says:

Dear Kathy Lee; I felt your words down to my soul You have shown how to live and love with courage, dignity and wearing your heart on your sleeve in a time of great sadness for you and your family. Your story of Frank’s appreciation of life was wonderful and heart felt. He was truly a man’s man…better said a Human’s Human. May he Sleep in Heavenly Peace. Blessings to you and your family. On a personal note, I too love rocks, I ask people when they go away for vacation to please bring me back one…it costs nothing but it gives me a memory of them. Loved Frank’s analogy of the rock! I am sure Cass and Cody treasure those rocks given by their dad. I too have one from the Holy Land…to know that Jesus may have walked on that stone is amazing to me. Kate C. Cape Cod Massachusetts

14. B.bowman says:

Wow. Inspiring. Thank you

15. Frank Kania says:

Dear Kathie Lee my deepest condolences go out to your family from ours. Our prayers are with you and your family. Stay strong ,your precious to us all ,and god bless.

16. pamela bass says:

Thank you Kathie Lee, what a wonderful tribute! I am collecting stones myself for our youth group at our church and hope u don’t mind we using your teaching of “the stones” next week for our Young Disciples Moment, the Deacons of my church take turns doing this and God has put on my heart this is what they and so many others need to hear. Love you and thank you for sharing! God Bless you, Cass & Cody!

17. Mitch Gohman says:

Kathy, David DID NOT pick up five stones because he thought he might need more than ONE to take out Goliath; he did so because Goliath had FOUR brothers! Just keeping the facts straight, as I am sure Frank would have wanted.

18. Lin says:

We all lose our beloved. The one thing we all have is compassion.

19. Ty says:

Kathy Lee &family we love you sorry about Frank. Know how much you loved him!! Glad your back!