Fall TV Preview
Blindspot NBC

Blindspot EP on Blacklist Parallels, 'Great Resolution' in Season 1

There is an easy comparison to be made between NBC’s freshman fall drama Blindspot and the network’s staple crime series The Blacklist — and Blindspot‘s producers are totally OK with that.

“It certainly does have some similarities with The Blacklist, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing, necessarily,” executive producer Martin Gero said Thursday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills. “We set an extraordinary amount of story from the opening frame of the show. We’ve done a tremendous amount of work to make sure we stay in business for a while.”

Blindspot centers on an amnesiac Jane Doe (Thor‘s Jaimie Alexander) who emerges from a duffel bag in Times Square naked and covered in tattoos, including one that features the name of FBI Agent Kurt Weller (Strike Back‘s Sullivan Stapleton).

Much like The Blacklist, Blindspot will have procedural elements while also maintaining “an overarching mythology week to week,” Gero explained. “Everything they investigate has to do with why Kurt Weller’s name is on her back and what happens to Jane.”

However, unlike the James Spader drama — which arguably has provided few answers to its central mystery over the course of two seasons — Season 1 of Blindspot will give viewers “some great resolution by the end of the year,” Gero promised.

He continued: “As a fan, I like seasons of a TV show that feel like books in a series. There’s a beginning, middle and end to this season. We don’t lay breadcrumbs. We bake whole loaves of story [in] every episode.”

Blindspot debuts Monday, Sept. 21, at 10/9c on NBC. Hit the comments with your initial thoughts on the series!

1. If Michael Scofield from Prison Break and John Doe from John Doe had a daughter…

2. Lizo says:

Looking forward to it; Blindspot and Supergirl my most anticipated fall shows.
    If Blindspot does well, I hope NBC would be open to a crossover episode with The Blacklist. That would be really cool

3. DL says:

Very heartening to hear his thoughts on delivering real answers season to season. That’s my biggest gripe with Blacklist; there’s been virtually no development of the overarching plot. Even the answers they’ve provided haven’t really elucidated anything. We still don’t know Red’s relationship to Lizzie, who his true target is, why he left his family and his country, not a single whit of it. So I was very reluctant to check out Blindspot, but now I’ll at least tune in for the first season and see if the EP is true to his word.

• Patrick says:

I love to see them “resolve” the mystery of the tattoos in the S1 Finale. Use that to set up a big bad, or big bads, going forward in later seasons. At some point, JA will get tired of the makeup, and they need to “remove” the tats somehow.

4. heba says:

i’ve seen the pilot and it’s not bad, for a broadcast network that is. i will give it a chance. they went relatively easy on the cliches which came as a relief after watching the pilot of Fox’s Lucifer which i will not give a chance and i’m sure that it’ll get canceled, deservingly so.
    this show has the potential but then again, it’s on NBC… but if i were to compare it with The Blacklist, i’d say it should get the same chance The Blacklist had, especially since it’s better executed in a lot of aspects.
    let’s hope for the best!

• Temperance says:

I saw the pilot for Lucifer, and Tom’s certainly charming. I’m not quite sure where they are going with it, but I’m certainly onboard for a half-dozen episodes.

• Ian says:

I agree, but I’d rank Lucifer in the middle below Minority Report and above Blindspot. Tom Ellis is the best thing about it. Blindspot was just way more predictable and by-the-numbers than I was hoping it would be. I’ll give it a couple more episodes to let me decide either way. But Minority Report was as great a pilot as can be hoped for. Its extremely charismatic as a whole. I loved it. Do excited for the season.

• johnhelvete says:

But was Blindspot only predictable because all of the big set pieces and events were in the trailer? Unlike Blacklist for example, which had the great set piece on the bridge with Liz and the girl being kidnapped.

• Temperance says:

I really liked Blindspot, and I’ve got Minority Report in the queue.

5. Temperance says:

I caught the pilot and it was better than I thought, and I had reasonably high expectations. It wasn’t perfect, but interesting and satisfying. And no, it really doesn’t ‘parallel’ Blacklist at all. I don’t see why it was even mentioned.

• Mike M says:

Because she is a living “Blacklist”, with every tattoo a clue to a puzzle or person / weekly episode. So it totally parallels the Blacklist,only there is no Red to tell them, meaning they should miss half the clues by not figuring them out in time. But it’s pretty obvious they are all going to mean something to the lead character and she’s going to have selective remembering of key tattoo meanings inside a handful of hours of a deadline just like in the pilot where she suddenly realizes she speaks a handful or more Chinese dialects.

6. Ellinas1978 says:

Would work better as an HBO show.

7. Maryann says:

My most anticipated new show…

8. Mr. Tran K says:

Blindspot is destined to be one of the breakout hits on NBC as well as The Player. This should give a big boost for a Voice lead-in like what Blacklist did and it won’t follow the same disappointment State of Affairs was. Jaimie Alexander is known for her butt kicking role as Sif in the Thor movies and now playing another butt kicking role as Jane Doe.

• Temperance says:

State of Affairs was actually pretty great, if a little too dark for network TV. Heigl was really good in it, but the character didn’t play to many of her strengths. Charlie was so dark that I always felt Heigl was better than the character.

9. herman1959 says:

I suspected this was another Blacklist-type of show, and now that one of the Eps has admitted it I can skip it. I’ll read the finale recap here for the tatoo/name reveal.

10. Gina Chin Santiago says: