Frank Gifford Dead

Frank Gifford, Legendary Monday Night Football Sportscaster and Husband of Kathie Lee Gifford, Dead at 84

Legendary Monday Night Football broadcaster Frank Gifford, the husband of Today co-host Kathie Lee Gifford, died Sunday of natural causes. He was 84.

“It is with deepest sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved husband, father and friend Frank Gifford,” said the Gifford Family in a statement. “Frank died suddenly on this beautiful Sunday morning of natural causes at his Connecticut home. We rejoice in the extraordinary life he was privileged to live, and we feel grateful and blessed to have been loved by such an amazing human being. We ask that our privacy be respected at this difficult time and we thank you for your prayers.”

Before launching his sport casting career, Gifford spent 12 seasons with the New York Giants, making eight pro Bowl appearances and winning the MVP award in 1956.

Gifford earned an Emmy nod in 1976 (for Outstanding Sports Personality), and in ’97 was a recipient of the Sports Emmys’ Lifetime Achievement Award.

He played himself in a number of sports-themed sitcoms, including Spin City and Coach.

1. Sean says:

Sad. Kathie must be heartbroken.

2. aph1976 says:

My condolences to his family.However at least he died peacefully.

3. Great announcer. Knew the game of football like the back of his hand. He helped make Monday Night Football into what it is today…………a national past time. Rest in peace, Frank. You can join Howard “The Mouth” and “Dandy” Don calling THE game of all games in that UTIMATE arena above.

4. CJ says:

I have such fond memories of him on Monday Night Football when I was little. He really loved football. Very sad for his family. He will be missed.

5. Brandon says:

My condolences to Kathy and her family

6. Mr. Tran K says:

Kathie Lee must be very sad about it. RIP Frank Gifford :-(

7. texan2you says:

What a shock to hear! Totally unexpected news for me! Condolences to all –

8. dan miller says:

So sorry to hear this for your family,loved him on Mon night football,bless you all

9. So sorry for your loss and your family’s god bless you all rip frank

10. gary snyder says:

So sorry to hear.I know he was well loved. Bet he was happy Kathie Lee
    forgave him.I know they had a good marriage.

11. Kathy says:

My deepest sympathies to Kathie Lee and her children.

12. So very sorry for your loss, you are in my thoughts and prayers

13. Charlene Budney says:

My heart is so saddened by your lost. Eternal life grant onto him and let perpetual life shine upon him Oh Lord, my prayers are with all of you.

14. Yvonne says:

Thoughts and prayers are with the Gifford family at this sad time.

15. Jay McKay says:

SO sorry to hear this news. Keeping Kathie Lee and his whole family in our thoughts and prayers!

16. Margaret says:

Such a football great! You are now among those that were also great that have gone before you! I am sure Kathie Lee and children are so terribly heartbroken. My prayers and thoughts are with you all! Happy for all your wonderful memories for they will sustain you! RIP Frank Gifford!

17. N says:

So sad. RIP

18. SANDY says:

R.I.P. Frank you will e missed, sorry for your loose Kathie.

19. Dixie L. Myers says:

I express my sympathy for the loss of ur husband. My prayers r with you.

20. Lydia Green says:

My condolence to the Family

21. binthr824 says:

Sympathy to the Gifford family. I can feel& understand . I lost mines last August.

22. Mary S says:

He was a remarkable man…my prayers and deepest sympathy to those who loved him. I know that he will be missed by all.

23. joan lewis says:

R.I.P Frank my prayers with Kathy and the family.

24. Jeanie says:

Sad for Frak’s family. Kathie Lee is devastated an heart broken that the love of her life is gone.
    God Bless the Gifford family and may Frank rest in peace!

25. Jeanie says:

God Bless the Gifford family. May Frank rest in peace! Kathie Lee I probably devasted that the love of her life is gone.

26. Dee Potter says:

So very sad to hear this. Prayers for his family.

27. I am so sorry for your loss. Prayers to your and your family

28. HAP says:

He married Kathie Lee Epstein back in 1986! Kudos for an enduring marriage.

• hud says:

This forum is a censorship farce. You can be vulgar, but not speak the truth as you see it. I would expect better. All things public are grist for the mill. She is no exception.

29. Linda (Nyberg) Taylor says:

My depest sympathy to you and your family. I have been a fan since I was 10 years old, now I’m 71.
    Always enjoyed you talking about him when I watched you on Regis. I was thinking about Mr. Gifford a few days ago and what a wonderful man he was.
    I will remember him always.
    Blessings to you Kathie,Cassidy and Cody
    Sincerely, Linda (Nyberg ) Taylor,Tucson,AZ, and Santa Monica, CA.

30. KATHIE LEE, MY HEART BREAKS FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU ALL. I KNOW HOW DEVASTATING YOUR LOSS IS. GOD BLESS EACH OF YOU TODAY AND FOREVER.

31. MMD says:

My deepest sympathies and prayers for Kathie Lee and his children Cassidy, Cody, Victoria, Jeff and Kyle as well as his grandchildren.

Frank was a class act and was loved and will be missed by oh so many. Rest in peace Frank.

32. Sue Yurchik says:

Dear Kathy, you two were such soul mates! I’m so so sorry for your loss! Please know our prayers are with you! God bless! 😥

33. Geri McGirt says:

My condolences to the entire Frank Gilford family. My heart is breaking for your beautiful children and you Kathie Lee. I have always had so much respect and I admired you so much. Loved you on the Regis and Kathie Lee show. I always love to listen in to Frank on Monday Night Football. He was a great Sports Announcer. He will be missed. I pray that God will give you and those 2 beautiful children the strength to get through this sad time.

34. Katesdogtraning@gmail.com says:

Deepest Sympathy to the Gifford family

35. RIP Frank another one of my childhood Idols gone well God must have needed a good football player or play by play man for his team :(

36. Terrie Perry says:

Praying for the Gifford family and friends! R.I.P Frank

37. Maria Elena Cruz says:

With deepest sympathy my condolences to you and your family.

38. Sympathy and prayers to Frank’so wonderful family.

39. Our thoughts and prayers are with Kathie Lee and her family. This is such a difficult time. Praying for all of you. You have a beautiful angel watching over you. God bless all of you.

40. Jana says:

Our thoughts and prayers are with you Kathie and family and may God Bless you always!

41. Otis says:

I will always remember watching Monday Night Football with Frank Gifford when I was a child. I looked forward to Monday nights every week during football season. My parents would allow me to stay up (if I could) to watch the game, as long as I got up the next morning. My condolences to his family at this difficult time.

One quibble I have with the article is that it says he appeared as himself on several sports themed Sit-coms including Spin City. Spin City was not sports themed. It took place in the mayor’s office although the episode he appeared in may have had a sports theme to it (I don’t recall the episode since I did not watch it regularly)

42. millie says:

I am very sad about the death of your husband. He was great at his job. One of the best. Rest in peace in heaven.

43. Beverly says:

Having lost my husband 2 years ago , my heart goes out to Kathie Lee and her family , I have never seen such a devoted wife and mother I know this is such a hard time for her but as we know God gives us a strength at times like these that we never knew we had much love to her and her family

44. Dee says:

I’m so sorry for your loss but heaven just received an angel. I have watched you for years and know how much you love Mr. Gifford. I lost my dad and brother recently and the pain is heavy but I have learned that earth has no sorrow that heaven can’t heal. My God comfort you as you walk the last of the journey with Mr. Gifford. Now he must meet his maker alone!

45. David Kemper says:

My condolences to the Gifford family for their loss. I enjoyed Mr. gif fords perspective from behind the mic. He will be missed. Sincerely, David Kemper. Boring, Oregon

46. What ever says:

Frank Gifford had quite a successful career with many accolades, I don’t get why he is being remembered as Kathy lee’s husband.

47. dave says:

I,m sorry I do not how to spell im sorry get well soon,

48. Don says:

I used to watch Gifford and the NY Giants at Yankee Stadium. He was a great ballplayer – one of the most versatile ballplayers in the history of the National Football League up to that time. He helped take the Giants to 6 NFL Championship games in 8 years between 1956 and 1963.

49. jeff says:

Kathy has lost her knight, we have lost a example of the right way to be a sportscaster

50. T Prangley says:

Once a Trojan always a Trojan. Fight On and RIP to a true a Premier Trojan Family member. Condolences to the Giffords.