Emmys

Emmys 2015: Who Should Win Best Lead Actor in a Drama? Take Our Poll!

Will the eighth time be the charm?

That’s the biggest question in the 2015 Emmy race for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series — and maybe of the entire ceremony — as Mad Men‘s critical darling Jon Hamm gets one last crack at the trophy that’s eluded him for almost a decade.

Despite last year’s winner, Breaking Bad‘s Bryan Cranston, being ineligible, Hamm is hardly a shoo-in. He’ll face 2013 champ Jeff Daniels (in the hunt again for The Newsroom), 2011 winner Kyle Chandler (who took home the statuette for Friday Night Lights, and is back in action for his freshman drama Bloodline) and House of Cards‘ Kevin Spacey (nominated for the third straight year).

If that’s not a competitive enough scenario for you, Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul) and Liev Schreiber (Ray Donovan) will be looking to convert their first nominations in the category into Emmy gold.

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine actors when the Emmys are handed out on Sept. 20? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite, then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next couple of weeks, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win?” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor!

1. atxnole says:

Has to be Kyle. Lots of great performances, but this one takes the cake.

• flutiefan says:

See, I don’t get that. I didn’t think this was a standout performance from him. He’s always good, but Bloodline wasn’t his best work by far. It truly pains me to say all this, because I’m a huge fan of his (I cried when he won the Emmy). But I just didn’t see it in this role.
      Curious what you found so compelling?

• erle says:

Totally agree, Kyle was outstanding as always. But most important, he submitted part 12, and that’s a winning tape, much better than Mad Men Finale.

2. Mr. Tran K says:

Jon Hamm FTW

3. Ro says:

The only show I’ve seen of these is Mad Men.

4. BrightLight says:

Should Win: Kyle Chandler (out of all the nominees, his character seemed to have the best character arc IMO)
    Will Win: Jon Hamm (I figure the Academy will try to right their wrong of him never winning since this is his last chance. Doesn’t mean he’s not worthy though.)

5. webly3 says:

Jon Hamm deserves this award 1000%. Kyle Chandler did well in Bloodline, but I really thought that Ben Mendelsohn stole that show. Some of the other noms had good performances, but I don’t see them winning. Others didn’t have good performances and were just nominated because of their name smh.

6. Ellinas1978 says:

Kevin Spacey.

7. dan says:

I voted for Kyle Chandler, however I don’t expect him to win. He was great on Bloodline and I’m thrilled he was nominated. I think this is Jon Hamm’s year (finally). Kevin Spacey is also a possibility. I just hope it isn’t Jeff Daniels stealing the Emmy again.

8. MPMcDonald says:

Jon Hamm will win, because he hasn’t yet and it’s his last chance, however, he didn’t have any Emmy worthy episodes. Kyle Chandler *should* win because the last 3-4 episodes of Bloodline were all Emmy worthy. Chapter 12 was incredible (for Ben Mendelsohn as well).

Bob Odenkirk was also excellent in Better Call Saul.

9. Eric7740 says:

This better go to Jon Hamm, hands down. No one deserves it more!!!

10. A Fan of TV says:

My vote is for Jon Hamm. I thought the year Daniels won was a nice surprise, but winning for the Newsroom’s final season would be…dubious. He wasn’t bad in his role, but the role just wasn’t interesting enough – he was facing prison and always quiet, holding on to great big secrets, pretending to, whatever he was doing – the point is that Will McAvoy was always best when he was talking, and the final season McAvoy was silenced. Plus, Daniels already won once, for better material.

As for Hamm, he doesn’t get nearly enough credit for the nuance he added to Don Draper, because it was never showy and he rarely ‘broke down,’ getting the chance to have those big emotional acting scenes that garner Emmys like crazy. Made a complete emotional schlub of an old boy into more than the caricature of a debonair ad man he appears to be when you first meet him. With luck, the fact that many people sentimentally returned to rewatch earlier seasons of Mad Men in celebration of its swan song will remind people that Hamm deserves recognition for carrying a show despite portraying one of the least sympathetic non-villain characters ever written.

11. Simon Jester says:

John Hamm is long past due.

12. Alex Potter says:

Lots of people think that Jon Hamm should get it because he has never won it before and this is his last chance. I want to know who would/should win if Jon Hamm won one before? And with that said, I think that Bob Odenkirk would (should?) have a great chance because he was great in the episode he submitted

13. Nick says:

Odenkirk is WAY underrated.

14. Jake L. says:

It has to be Jon Hamm, right?

15. Are you kidding me? Are we even gonna take a poll?
    It SHOULD, MUST & WILL be Jon Hamm. That’s it.

16. S says:

I think Jon Hamm will get the achievement vote. I think the body of work the last season was strong, in addition to the past seven seasons. If it’s not him, it’s Kevin Spacey.

17. Sorry I won`t vote, cuz the one I would like to vote for, is not on the list.

18. valerie tower says:

Odenkirk hands down.

19. Robin Walper says:

As far as the Emmy for best Actor- without a doubt it should be Kyle Chandler.
    Reason being is that this is for the job/ work of an Actor- not the character, etc.
    Although as a former fellow actor on Friday Night Lights , I have seen both his phenomenal ability to bring words on a script to life and his kindness, humor, support and equanimity for everyone on a set.
    The man is great at his work and also as kind and humble as you’ll ever find.
    That deserves the Emmy.

20. Miranda says:

Kyle Chandler’s episode submission is just leagues ahead of the others here – he’ll win on the basis of that. Sorry Jon Hamm, but you should not have submitted the Mad Men finale!