Post Mortems
Melissa & Joey Finale

Melissa & Joey's Melissa Joan Hart Weighs in on Series Finale Twists

ABC Family’s Melissa & Joey aired its final episode Wednesday, revealing happy — and stressful — endings for its core four.

Not only did Melissa Joan Hart‘s titular character discover that she’s carrying twins, but with a little encouragement — and an elaborate gunshot metaphor — from Joe, she also decided to continue her bid for Congress.

“I think the writers did a brilliant job of setting it up so that the audience wouldn’t be too sad or confused,” Hart tells TVLine of the finale. “They’ll go, ‘Oh, I get what’s going to happen to them in the future.'”

The finale also featured the surprising engagement of Zander and Lennox, and while Mel is thrilled for the happy couple, Hart isn’t so sure she’ll be celebrating for long.

“We did that future episode where [Zander and Lennox] are married, but I’d say that kind of thing doesn’t usually work out in real life,” she admits. “They’re two extraordinary characters — very bright, mature and passionate — so maybe they’ll be an exception to that. I’d like to think they’ll live happily ever after.”

And while Hart is sad to see the show conclude after more than 100 episodes, she’s glad it ended before she had to start strapping on a fake baby belly.

“I’ve never played pregnant in anything, so I’m sure after one week, I’d be like, ‘Can we be done with this now?'” she says. “And I don’t know if people would want to see that. Friends did [a baby storyline] well, but on other shows, it’s like, ‘We get it. You’re pregnant. What else?'”

Your thoughts on Melissa and Joey‘s big finale? Grade it below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. Cody says:

Not impressed, didn’t really feel like a finale. I kind of wanted more resolution than we were given. Still so disappointed to see the series come to an end.

2. Stephanie says:

im upset how it ended but it is what it is

3. Kk says:

Did not feel like a finale seemed to leave a lot of open doors to new episodes hopefully they will rename as Joey and Mel +2 and come back with twins and a wedding to plan all while being a congresswoman and Arthor I think there is a lot more potential in the story line! Love this show mostly clean and lots of laughs! Hoping it resurfaces again soon!

• Patrick says:

People have got to understand something about cable shows. With a few exceptions, they aren’t going beyond 100 episodes. Unless they are monster hits (PLL, TWD) they will end at 100 eps. By that point, there are enough eps for what limited syndication is typically available to a modestly rated cable show, and the cast deals are up and they want pay raises. After 100 eps, profits are maxed out. The producers need to be aware of this and build to a satisfying finale at or around 100 eps.

4. Ann says:

And what about joey ´s daughter?

5. Jennifer Tuecke says:

There’s so many things that happened on this last episode that it could continue on. It now has plenty of storyline for that. You could make a fifth season out of Melissa carrying twins. Melissa running senator. Joey’s book. Ryder going off to the navy. Lennox and Zander getting engaged. I really wish you guys would reconsider it and have a 5th and 6th season. I believe it was very wrong to leave all the people who love this show hanging onto all these hopes that we don’t get to see now.

6. karenhaske says:

I so wish the program would stay on. The way the finale was it could go on for a lot of seasons Babies and marriage? Need to know how things turn out. There is plenty of story line to continue. It is a good program and should continue.

7. karen says:

program should continue Why is it going off? There is a lot of story line to continue it. Babies and marriage. It could go on for alot of seasons. PLEASE BRING BACK!!!!.

8. tallsy says:

I’m surprised it was cancelled. It was doing OK in the ratings.

• brandydanforth81 says:

No it wasn’t doing ok in ratngs-viewership below a million ,18-49 demo more often 0.3-0.5 than the used to get 0.5-0.6& at times Baby Daddy was beating it..Part of the reason it was cancelled was due to the showrunners feeling like creatively with Mel& Joey married,Joe not need as a “manny”& Lennix,zryder now adults it was a good place/time to end the show .

9. Kathy Deringer says:

Not impressed, didn’t have that pazazz I look for in a finale. Sad to see it over. Really hope they do well in their next adventures.

10. Al says:

I will definitely miss this show. I first was introduced to it 2 years ago while on vacation. I’ve always been a fan of Joey Lawrence from Day 1. I thought Melissa Joan Hart was decent in the few episodes of that teenage witch show back in the day. When I saw theit chemistry along with the rest of the cast, it undoubtedly became a show to watch for me. That vacation 2 years ago had a marathon on if the show and I couldn’t stop watching and laughing. This is a great show that will be missed.

11. She'll says:

i truly dislike the person that canceled Melissa and Joey. I absolutely love the show and the next season could have been awesome!!!

12. Mark says:

I liked the finale. It certainly left things opened, but I did feel like the characters were mostly in a good place. Lennox and Zander have way more growing up to do before they get married, but I do want them together. Add on a book tour, Navy tour, twins, running for office. I wish the characters (and the cast and crew) happiness as they head out to their new lives.

13. Juanita says:

Melissa and Joey Is one of my favorite shows. I am sad to see it go, but not surprised; due to the fact that today’s generation prefers television that isn’t even pg13 appropriate. We are running out of programs that families can watch together. I miss the TGIF shows from the 90’s. Clean TV needs to make a comeback!!!!

• Ann says:

I agree. This show as old-school and reminded me of the TGIF days, except for Zander….they could have written him down a bit and made him less of a horny teenager.

14. Ann says:

I have watched every episode of that show from the very beginning. But the series finale felt more like a season finale. If I hadn’t read that this show ended, then I would never have guess that would be the very last episode they make. It was okay…on par with the rest of the series…but I’m surprised ABC Family, or the writers didn’t give this show more of a send-off or even promote it as a series finale. After all, Melissa and Joey is one of that network’s highest rated shows.

15. Joey Padron says:

it was good but felt like season finale then a series one. wish they could have one season to finish the show right. gonna miss the show so much.

16. BG says:

I just discovered this show. Hope they change their minds, and don’t cancel this series. Good show, with great ensemble cast!

17. Sarah T says:

Though I originally really liked this show, I felt like the last season was really lacking. I wasn’t crazy about Joe having a young daughter that came to live with them to fill the Ryder void since he was off making movies. It was much better/funnier when it was the original four and once they actually did get Melissa and Joe together, it wasn’t quite as funny. Plus, I wasn’t crazy about the Zander/Lennox storyline. Overall, I thought it had kind of run it’s course.

18. Emily says:

I don’t think it was very successful because we didn’t get to see everything end, everything was just introduced:( they need to make one more season!!

19. aph1976 says:

I think it was the right time to end the series but maybe there could be a return of the series later with specials maybe or even a movie.

20. Ken Preston says:

Dear Clarissa, sorry to see your 3rd series come to an end, as I mentioned on the Channel Guide website, is my interesting idea for a new and different sitcom (or perhaps a TV movie) about life in the early 1960’s (especially with black and white TV sets with VHF only and Hi Fi record players still in use and may be hearing some late 1950’s recordings of “This Could Be Magic” by The Dubs, “Rubber Ball” (1960) by Bobby Vee,”Love Is Strange” by Mickey and Silvia, etc. (especially from a juke box). ask your mother Paula about these recordings. you may even find them on YouTube. now this whole idea should be for ABC Family (and great for us “Baby Boomers”). this should show some the old kitchen appliances as well. maybe hearing some 1960 Elvis Presley recordings. show this comment to your mom. Love, Ken.

21. John Jacob says:

The first 3 seasons of this show were great family TV. As soon as Nic Robinson practically left in Season 4 to do movies it totally tanked. Joey’s “mystery” daughter was a total fail. Nic was a huge part of the cast and when he couldn’t do the show anymore it was DEFINITELY time to end it.

• Kay says:

They should have ended the show with Season 3 with the wedding. Season 4 was awful. We wasted half the season we that pointless secret daughter storyline that was a huge waste of time. She ended up going back to her mother after 7 episodes and then it was like she never existed. Nick Robinson being gone for practically the entire season was a big no no. He was the funniest character and it wasn’t the same without him. The storylines were also getting worse like that alien episode from 3 weeks ago was utter garbage. The series finale was weak as well. It was time for this show to end.

22. Ken Preston says:

Dear Clarissa, I forgot to mention the name of the new sitcom (or movie) you should call. Giving it a title like: “Way Back When”. that is all for now. Love, Ken.

23. Rachael says:

The series finale was so lame and phoned in. It seemed like something they threw together at the last minute. Season 4 was terrible, anyway. Majority of the episodes were awful like the no cell phones, trying to Skype Ryder on the computer and the alien dream episode. But they really jumped the shark with that secret daughter nonsense. Ryder leaving the show didn’t help either.

24. Bonne says:

Is this like THE END for Melissa & Joey ? Or will there be more seasons ? I’m totally sad to see this end !!

25. Natalie says:

Yeah it didnt seem like a finale. I really want at least one more season to see what happens in their future lives.

26. cher says:

Sad to see such a good show end. Really loved the characters. Again, sad.

27. JA says:

I’m sad to see this show come to an end it has been my favorite tv show for years! I used to watch this and reruns of Sabrina the Teen age witch all day long!But I’m glad to see that Mel and Joe are finally having a baby, and Lennox and Zander are getting married!

28. Helen says:

They should developed a new story line!

29. Jessica says:

So sad to see the show come to an end! Hoping that a reconsideration will happen and the show will come back on

30. Kathy says:

I really love watching Melissa and Joey it was so funny why is it that they always take the really good shows off TV that people really enjoy watching and leave on the really stupid ones that nobody really likes like young and hungry that is the dumbest show I don’t even watch it I’d rather watch Melissa and Joey than that dumb show I hope they bring Melissa and Joey back I know she doesn’t want to strap on it take to me but I want to show to come back so please bring the show back leave on these good shows instead of leaving on all these stupid shows do you want to make money then leave on the funny shows cuz if you’re just going to leave on these dumb shows you’re not going to make them nobody is going to want to watch themselves you want to make money and keep good shows on like Melissa and Joey please put it back on the air would be greatly appreciated thank you

31. Hallie says:

I am tried of this show. Why does it not just go away. Let it end.

32. Tabitha Covington says:

Love this show and really wish the storyline could or would continue. Maybe this can be the end of Melissa and Joey…but I am so hoping for a spin off series or something. Name it Mel and Joe. Every thing about the show has matured a bit and I really feel that with the way the series finale left so many stories wide open that ABC could easily get another 100 episodes out of these characters! Something to think about! I am definitely gonna miss the show, the characters and not getting to see all the new exciting lives they all should lead on screen!

33. Karen Ardoin says:

add 5 and 6 season to Mel and Joey and i would change my vote

34. Karen Ardoin says:

made 5 and 6 season on Mel and Joey and then i would change my vote.

35. Aud says:

But want at least another season

36. megan wallis says:

it shouldnt end there! it doesnt feel like an end. its just like the end of any episode. i dont think its a good ending. im dissapointed.

37. Tonia Costello says:

I vote for Season 5 – and Season 6 and so on…HUGE FAN, hate that it may go away…PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE to all involved, make another Season or 2!!!

38. Hannah says:

I wan to know about there future and it seemed more like a season finale not a series finale

39. Alain says:

Melissa and Joey was the best show I ever seen

40. Connie says:

I just heard show was canceled I loved the show I didn’t see the finale I’m so upset

41. Ronn says:

So sad its over

42. Thelma Ntebeni says:

never thought it would end i fell madly in love with that show i was really addicted to melissa and joey i hope the journey of them on tv doesnt end there i still wanna see more of their talent i so love melissa and joey i love them so much i swear i might faint when i meet them in reality #iloveguys wish you all the best

43. Tanya Thomas says:

It can’t end like that. I was looking forward for next season.

44. Angela seery says:

They should have made a series 5 im very disappointed and was looking forward to how they both coped with bringing up twins abc should reconsider it’s postion in this matter

45. Heather Robertson says:

Why why why did it cancel I want to see what happens to the twins… it needs to come back on air..I love Melissa and Joey..

46. Julie Graham says:

Will really miss this show. Love the chemistry between melissa and Joe. So sad to see it end.

47. Denise says:

They need to bring the show back please love it so much it keeps me from thinking about my cancer.

48. Carol says:

Too bad, last few episodes ended abruptly, then all of a sudden that it is. But at least they ended it on a happy note.

49. Becky says:

Continue the series.

50. Kelsie says:

Melissa&Joey could have continued for a couple more episodes. One episode could be her a little pregnant, then a fast forward to her almost ready to pop, and finally the birth of the twins. That would have been a satisfying ending rather than fans wonder how everything turned out between the twins, her campaign, his book tour, Lennox and Zander getting married, and Ryder in the Navy. I loved the show, but just wish to have a little more.