Emmys

Emmys 2015: What Should Win Best Drama Series? Take Our Poll!

Over the last seven years, only three series have taken home the Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series — and the most recent of those, two-time champ Breaking Bad, is ineligible for 2015.

That leaves Emmy voters with three options: They could return the statuette to one of the category’s former winners, Mad Men (which ruled from 2008 to 2012) or Homeland (the 2012 champ).

They could reward one of the category’s long-suffering bridesmaids: Game of Thrones (now on its fifth nomination), Downton Abbey (up for the fourth consecutive year) or House of Cards (in the race for the third time).

Then again, they could opt for some fresh blood — sort of. Despite a nomination for Outstanding Comedy Series in 2014, Orange Is the New Black is a first-time nominee as a drama this year. And then, of course, there’s the freshman entry Better Call Saul, the prequel spinoff to the aforementioned Emmy darling Breaking Bad.

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine shows when the Emmys are handed out on Sept. 20? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite, then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next couple of weeks, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win?” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor!

1. Eric7740 says:

MAD MEN for best drama and Jon Hamm for best dramatic actor!!!!

2. Jss0058 says:

If we are talking about SHOULD win I have to go with either of the Netflix shows (HOC or OITNB). I enjoyed house from start to finish and thought orange built to an excellent finale. Homeland had a great rebound season but not as strong as the other two shows. Game had some really good moments this season but was spotty and made some iffy choices for me. Mad Men was good but not great. Better Call Saul was boring and didn’t deserve a nod and Downton also shouldn’t be on the list.

3. H says:

I want Downton to win, not because it deserves it (it does not) but because it reflects the true taste of the Emmy voters and how much they’re in touch with the public (not in touch).

• Simon says:

Really, then why didn’t it win in the last 4 years? Game of Thrones FTW!

• Timmah says:

The first 3 seasons of Downton were awesome, but the last two have been pretty blah and not Emmy-worthy.

• Lizo says:

Ya I would agree and I’m a diehard Downton fan. The past two seasons were enjoyable for fans of the show, but less creatively exciting. They shouldn’t have pushed through WW1 so quickly – the 20s are boring

4. Mr. Tran K says:

Game of Thrones

5. webly3 says:

Orange Is the New Black’s second season was phenomenal. But, I would not be mad if Mad Men or Game of Thrones won either. If any other show won, I’d be upset because none of the other shows deserve it as much as those 3 (even if they are good shows).

6. b says:

THOSE are the options? OITNB gets my vote. I don’t know why I’m always so amazed by the level of cable TV snobbery that exists

• Jss0058 says:

Just out of curiosity what network shows do you think were better than the ones listed here?

I personally would have been okay with Empire sneaking in (even though it is soapy) over the boring seasons of Saul & Dowton

• shaun says:

Penny Dreadful,The Leftovers,The Knick etc etc

• damroberts744 says:

Empire, Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder, The Good Wife, The Blacklist.

• abz says:

Scandal was pretty much garbage this past season. Empire was awesome and HTGAWM was really fun to watch and both had pretty good first season, but aside from Taraji’s and Viola’s performances, I don’t know if the shows as a whole are amazing enough to be nominated yet. The Good Wife is still better than a lot of TV out there. A lot of people seemed pissed over the direction of this past season. I didn’t think it was all bad. There were some great episodes (Oppo Research :)) and the acting as always was excellent. It certainly was better than House of Cards this year. I’d rather HoC be replaced with TGW or even Penny Dreadful which was amazing. Bates Motel was great too.

7. militantgod says:

Saul. GOT had it’s worst season (not bad or anything). Anyone who says Saul was boring just doesn’t like his character. Hamm for the win!

8. Nick says:

Game of Thrones or Better Call Saul are getting my votes. But, as usual, it will probably go to something I neither watch nor care about. Breaking Bad, of course, being the exception.

9. Anne says:

Any show that’s not Game of Thrones. Season 5 was absolutely terrible.

10. MrMank says:

I know it’s on the bottom of the list, but I gotta say Better Call Saul is easily the best of the bunch here. Some of the best acting performances of the season were given by Bob Odenkirk and Jonathan Banks…multiple times over. If not, I give it to Mad Man for a simply beautiful swan song.

11. Joey says:

Game of Thrones was utterly atrocious this past season. It winning would be a travesty.

• RD says:

There was nothing atrocious about this season unless you read the books. Which I didn’t. It deserves to be taken on it’s own merits,and this season there were some stunning set pieces,if nothing else. Gets my vote,anyway.

• Joey says:

Actually the show versions acted primarily out of character in ways that didn’t even make sense in the context of the show, much less the books.

12. abz says:

Definitely not House of Cards. This last season was so terrible. Really made me consider whether I will waste my time watching next season.

13. abz says:

Still pissed over the lack of any Penny Dreadful nominations. I love many of these shows, but this category feels the same year after year. As long as House of Cards doesn’t win, I guess I’ll be happy because this last season was terrible and made me seriously consider whether I will tune in for another season.

14. D. says:

Homeland. Or Game of Thrones.

15. Court says:

Absolutely Game of Thrones. But Jon Hamm for Best Actor, for sure.

16. Revenger says:

Game of Thrones!!!! Please!!! For once!!!

17. Donna says:

I think OITNB should win,the show is awesome and so are the actors.

18. A-Rizzle says:

Have a feeling Homeland’s taking this one. Strong rebound season, past Emmy love, lots of noms could lead to a win. Or, you know, not.

19. Lizo says:

Orange is telling some of the most unique and creative stories on tv right now. That show is changing lives, changing policy, and doing it all while telling complicated stories with complicated characters. There’s no doubt it’s the best show on tv right now.

• Guy says:

There’s plenty of doubt. It doesn’t even come close to the utter brilliance of The Americans, or Hannibal for that matter (which was sadly ineligible for the Emmys this year).

20. kirads09 says:

Hannibal. Oh Darn.

21. AddieM says:

Game of Thrones no doubt… it’s the best drama on TV

22. Lori says:

With no nominations, other than music score, for Outlander, it calls the validity of the Emmys into question.

23. Guy says:

Of the nominees, Mad Men should win. However, if the Emmy voters knew anything about quality TV, The Americans would have been nominated and should win.

I’ve never thought Orange is the New Black was better than average, and House of Cards and Game of Thrones were both terrible this year.

24. Julio says:

HOC was boring this season, GOT was normal noting great, BCS was only nominated because of BB noting out of the world, Homeland was ok could go either way and i don’t know why they keep nominating DA, so the award for me it goes to MM or OITNB

25. Jillian says:

Orange is the New Black SHOULD win but won’t because the voters have some bias against streaming shows

26. A fan of TV says:

GoT or Mad Men would both deserve if they won. Mad Men to celebrate the swan song of a very, very good series, or GoT to honour the absolutely epic production, story, cast…I’d actually give the best series to GoT and feel as though a win for Jon Hamm in the Actor category would sufficiently cover things for Mad Men, which has won Best Drama enough but can’t overlook Hamm anymore. It’s his turn.

27. damroberts744 says:

I personally think Game of Thrones and OITNB had their strongest seasons (Oranges second season, not its third) yet, so I’d go with either of those.

28. Christa says:

I never understood the hype around Mad Men. I watched it…as much as I could anyhow. It was all, how many drinks and smokes can we consume during a workday and how many new women can Jon Hamm’s character screw. Completely confused at its popularity.

Better Call Saul was sadly – boring. I had so much hope. Might get better.

OITNB Season 2 was great! Season 3…less so. House of Cards was ok.

Never seen Downtown Abby and couldn’t get into Game of Thrones. So, long story…longer….I’d say OITNB. But there are so many deserving shows that never get nominated. Emmy’s are always the same.

29. Really surprised with all the Game of Thrones love. I thought this was it’s weakest season yet. I voted for Orange is the New Black

30. Taylor says:

Game of Thrones. The fourth season is up for awards, not the latest fifth, so while yes, the last season was uneven, it’s not the one nominated.

31. BonnieW says:

Outlander….oh wait, I don’t see it’s name on the list. Phooey.

32. Ally Oop says:

I know I’m in the minority here but I really liked this past season of Downton Abbey. It still remains my favourite show on TV. Second place would go to Orange is the New Black.