Kelly Osbourne The View

Kelly Osbourne Sorry for Offensive Latino Comments on The View

Five months after Kelly Osbourne criticized Giuliana Rancic for making racially insensitive comments on TV, the former Fashion Police co-host is finding herself under fire for the very same snafu.

A little background: Osbourne was a guest on Tuesday’s episode of The View, where the topic of conversation shifted to Donald Trump’s proposed immigration policies.

“If you kick every Latino out of this country, then who is going to be cleaning your toilet, Donald Trump?” Osbourne posed, rather sternly, completely unaware that such a statement could ever be deemed offensive.

Naturally, a few of the panelists objected to Osbourne’s comment — particularly Rosie Perez — but instead of apologizing, Osbourne proceeded to defend herself.

“I didn’t mean it like that,” she protested. “Come on, I would never mean it like that.” She even put her hand in Perez’s face — you know, to prove how not-rude she was.

To her credit, Osbourne did eventually apologize via Facebook that afternoon. Read the full, NSFW post below:

Kelly Osbourne

And there’s clearly no bad blood between Osbourne and Perez:

But where do you stand on Osbourne’s comments? Did she merely misspeak, or should she be apologizing for a lot more? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. DL says:

After reading this entire article, I was most annoyed by the fact that Rosie Perez misspelled “your” as “you’re.” Yup.

• Ro says:

me too… I guess being able to spell isn’t important.

• Stacy says:

Yes! And that Kelly wrote “wholehearted” instead of “wholeheartedly”.

• AddieM says:

People get offended way too easily these days….get a thicker skin people! I’m a person of color and I’m hardly ever offended by half the things that outrage people… Ok it was not ok for KO to say what she said but it does not warrant an outrage…What she said is equivalent to calling a fat person Fat!…it may be true but it’s simply not a nice thing to say out loud..that should not outrage people though

• eli says:

While I agree this was not offensive (nor was Guilana’s comment)…I find quite ironic that Kelly blew up over he co-host’s comment and now she’s in the same spot. A joke is just a joke!

• smkdkron says:

I agree with you. But look, it’s true. Mexicans from Mexico pride themselves in being hard workers. They always say that they do the jobs Americans wont. They brag about how without them, America will be screwed. Cleaning toilets is a job and anyone willing To work hard for their money is welcomed.

• Janet says:

I was watching the show, and did not understand why Rosie took it the way she did. But now reading what Kelly actually said I can understand. When I first heard Kelly say it, I took it as she meant just what this person was saying. As a job some Americans would not want to do. And for Trump to look around and realize what the nationality was of his staff who are helping to keep up his fancy hotels and may be the back bone of his organizations. And show more respect for these “Mexicans”. Clearly this guy cannot really be running for president for all the people he has pissed off every time he opens his mouth. He is just making a fool of himself. But that is a different topic.

• It’s not really about being offended by what she said. We all make mistakes, including /GR. I think what Kelly is finding is that she really screwed up by throwing her former co-worker under the bus and using it as an excuse to quit the show (FP). Kelly basically did not cut GR one bit of slack and instead tweets, I do not condone racism. Until she addresses that and how she treated GR, I don’t particularly want to hear her ‘view’ on anything, let alone hear her name….

• BG says:

ABC has no messageboards available to post on their shows any more , so thanks for posting this about The View here, so we can talk about the show here! :)

2. Mary says:

KO was obviously commenting on Donald Trump’s world view, not presenting her own. This whole thing is insane. I feel like everyone’s intentionally misunderstanding her because it’s fun to attack celebrities.

• tvjunkie says:

You obviously haven’t watched much of KO on TV if you really think that.

• Mary says:

The same way with what was said on Fashion Police, but KO made such a big stink about it. What goes around comes around. I understood what she was saying but like Trump, think before you speak. Her apology might have been acceptable; however when she felt the need to use profanity it threw it out the window. She has no class whatsoever. I found it ironic her words weren’t scripted but Guliana were. The only reason people know who she is because of her parents.

3. AngelWasHere says:

Karma is a b*** anit it? Guliana probably laughing her ass off right now.

4. Abe Froman says:

I can’t even anymore with these idiot “celebrities”.

5. PL says:

Um…the comments about Rancic on Fashion Police happened in February of this year. It’s hardly been a year since that happened.

• tvjunkie says:

In Guliana’s she was doing a scripted joke, which was then edited for TV to make it sound racist when the unedited version wasn’t. In this case Kelly simply said what she thought, not what someone else wrote.

6. Lucifer says:

Never liked Kelly, she’s obnoxious, pretentious, and a hypocrite. I would have loved it if Rosie went full-Zendaya and used Kelly’s comment as a soapbox to get more fans and recognition.

7. das2141 says:

I wonder if Kelly’s misstep will cause her to think about and consider Giuliana’s misstep earlier this year. Apparently even she’s not above it either.

8. Why does it still say don’t frakkin’ curse here?

9. FB says:

What a hypocrite Kelly is. Emphasizes “ALWAYS” taking responsibility for her actions as yet another backhanded stab at Rancic and then proceeds to say she should have known better because it was on The View and Live. Does that mean it would have been fine to say if she wasn’t on camera? You seem to think it’s being overblown because of your poor choice of words but your absurd over reaction to Giulana was fine.

• c-mo says:

If it hadn’t been live, her mommy could have made someone edit out the comments and then nobody would have been the wiser to her honest opinion and would have gotten her PC-ified “honest” opinion. And yes, it would have been fine as long as she was just talking to another of her idiot friends.

10. Sara says:

She doesn’t make excuses, but then goes and says that she wasn’t able to finish her point because of Rosie interrupting her? Yeah, that’s not an excuse at all. Rosie Perez had absolutely NO REASON to apologize for attempting to correct and debate Kelly’s ignorant statement. Kelly’s “apology” needs some work. Perhaps she should call Giuliana and get some tips. What do they say about those in glass houses again, Kelly?

11. Understandthefacts21 says:

What a very sad perspective. I call it sad and not ignorant because people tend to forget or might choose to forget that there are many types of Latinos in this country. Yes I understand what she was trying to say. Something in the lines of – “If we get rid of all Latinos then who will do the hard jobs that no one else wants to do?” The problem, as I stated earlier, not all Latinos are the same. Just because you’re Latino does not specifically mean that you have a job that others do not want to do….like clean toilets. It might be ignorant in a sense because people like her, and when I say her I mean people that are isolated from reality, seem to forget that first generation immigrants have never had it easy when coming to the United States, regardless of where they come from (Europe, Asia, Latin America, Middle East etc.). Through several generations do people or a group of people get to have better socioeconomic status or stability. But for her or anyone else to simply think Latinos, “Latin Americans” included, are here doing the dirty work is extremely sad. This whole topic invokes so much hate.

12. Marge smith says:

Now she should apolize for her profanity , and I don’t for a moment believes she cleans her own toilets which is not a bad thing because a lot of working women and men have housekeepers , why wouldn’t she

13. tvjunkie says:

Maybe now that little troll will go crawl back to the UK and under her bridge. Sadly, probably not.

14. Lizo says:

She owned up to it and apologized. Everyone makes mistakes and we’re culturally trained to be racist. Unlearning that can be very difficult and mistakes happen. All we can do is apologize, learn from it, and try not to do it again.

• das2141 says:

And recognize/admit we’ve made a mistake in how we may have treated others who have been in similar situations.

• Understandthefacts21 says:

Try not to do it again? Please. I think we are beyond the time when someone needs to learn from it and try not to be racist. Its time to stop trying and start doing. Too many people trying out there….

• c-mo says:

Culturally trained? Apparently you’ve not done too much homework on this subject. How about studies of toddlers wearing either red or blue t-shirts…the kids wearing blue shirts gravitate to the others wearing blue shirts and the same for the kids wearing red shirts; that’s not something that can be taught. What can be taught is empathy of which Ms Osborne has little, she pays people to have it for her.

15. Ashton says:

It’s really great that Rosie supported her coworker rather than continuing to call her out for her blunder and quit the show. Rosie is a classy lady.

16. John Davis says:

Let me paraphrase Julie Chen a little:

“It is so extremely hurtful and unless you have ever been on the receiving end of it, you simply do not know what it’s like to walk a mile in someone’s shoes who has been.”

I’m Latino and also a teacher. I know, we’re all adults and we shouldn’t be offended by this. But you know, there’s so much people looking at Latinos like we’re intruders in America, that is more than normal that we’re sensitive about this. But that’s okay. I hope she have learned something now.

17. Ron says:

Kelly is a mess. First her dressing up as Rachel Dolezal, and now these comments. Both of those actions by Kelly were very clearly racial. (Though let’s be clear, I’m NOT calling her a racist, just that these two incidents are racial.) However, Kelly was quick to throw Guiliana under the bus for a comment that wasn’t explicitly about race at all, just a culture (i.e., weed culture), and Kelly made it racist, implying Guiliana was racist. I think Kelly should take a look at herself before casting unfounded judgment on others.

18. Terry says:

The real question here is how the bleep does KO know who cleans DT’s toilets?

19. Adam chairez says:

I am sorry your comments came out the way they did. However I strongly believe many Anglo persons do feel that way. In Hollywood it is difficult for Latinos to get parts other than maids. gardners and labor workers. Unfortunately that is the stereo type for mexicans. As a proud American of Mexican decedent’s I accept your explanation or clarification. But I urge you to use your position to encourage positive dialogue in accepting all races or ethnic groups. I hope one day we are all looked at as human beings and treated that way. Let’s fix our issues. No more negative .

20. Pmllny says:

Kelly Osborne is painfully irrelevant and shockingly ignorant. If we all ignore her, maybe she will go away.

• c-mo says:

THIS, THIS, THIS, a million times this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It kind of worked for the former BFF of Nicole Ritchie.

21. liame says:

No Angels on this planet. I’m sure everyone has made unpleasant, nasty and racist comments about other races in the presence of friends and family. Her being on live TV and saying how she feels is her only mistake.

22. Ms Thing says:

Kelly Osbourne is a entitled hypocrite.

23. Nitemar says:

K O is sorry she was caught saying it on live tv, that’s all!

24. Joan says:

Oooooh my gosh she was always the nicest person on fashion police I am sure she didn’t mean it like that!! Love love you Kelly!!

25. Celo says:

KO and a lot of people don’t realize that some Latinos are Lawyers, Doctors, Engineers, etc. Latinos don’t only clean toilets…

26. eli says:

Somewhere Giuliana Rancic is laughing pretty pretty heartily!!!!

While I generally like Kelly and understand that her comment was just a joke, so was Giuliana’s. I never understood why Kelly dramatically blew up over that. This is a tad ironic!

27. michelle says:

I dont see anything wrong with her statement. THINK ABOUT IT … ITS TRUE!!! Does the truth hurt??

28. Stan Brown says:

he work force today IS made up, inordinately by people of color this because of our past history of lack of education being the norm for those communities Therefore the jobs that are open for people with certain education gaps and the ,pay scale for these jobs are taken up by people if color. No racist and just too real

29. Well Kelly, what can we say, except you sure did f***ed up today! See, sometimes sh*t happen, and they can happen to anyone. And now they happened to you. Now what?

The background of her words we’re all aware of, but hey, what about freedom of speech, where did it disappear? Should we judge her or should this statement make us think a bit?

For now … lets just think.

30. Angelica says:

I think it is unfortunate. I don’t think Kelly meant to offend the latino community. She was obviously trying to make a point about Trump. People should give her a break. Even the least racist people have at some point said something racist about others.

• Helen says:

Angelica: You are correct about all you say. However, you miss the point. KO wouldn’t be going through all of this had she not been so intolerant about Guiliana. Totally threw her under the bus even after knowing her and working with her for years!

31. pearl says:

Osburne,you are a dumb, dumb bitch. Your fowl language as well as your stupid, stupid remark about the latinos is in black and white and even if you apologize that will always be there. on the net.You are such a hypocrite when you knocked down Rancic. Grow up you bitch.

32. Ysaias says:

She should not apologize at all, our LATINO community gets no offense from some one who is just another ignorant “nobody” If this person wouldn’t have the parents she has; she probably be the one cleaning a lot of our LATINO’s toilets. The truth is that ignorant people will always make ignorant comments. There is a say in Spanish “no le puedes pedir peras al olmo”

• Joan says:

Kelly was always so nice on Fashion Police, never harsh in her comments!! I am absolutely sure she didn’t say fhat on purpose!!it is a fact that illegals get the lowest paying jobs!! Rosie could have ask her to explain what she really meant by that remark!! That is why i like The Talk more fhan the View! Those women never “attack” like that!!

33. Teodoro Hernandez says:

I don not believe in that apology. I think the woman is ignorant and uneducated. What a waste of time to have someone like that in a TV show. I will guarantee you she has no formal education , the only reason she is there is because her family. By the way, nice hair color bitch.

34. Glamis says:

Her business is all that comes out from her mouth. This is a discriminatory statement, not only that, denigranting to it’s core. Latinos are not out protesting because they are working very hard and not because they don’t care. She should not be a public figure, spilling hate and offending people is not a good business. Cleaning toilets is a job, so the job is not a problem but who does it.

35. ellamint says:

Perhaps she could consider cleaning her own toilet…. I expect she has lost touch with tasks we commoners do without fussing. A flippant apology may deodorize, but it doesn’t clean up the mess.

36. MarkAnthony says:

I lost respect when Rosie apologized. ABC exucutives making someone apologize for not liking a racist comment I still keeping enough composure not to insult the women.
    ABC is ran by racist.

37. Jan McDonnell says:

“Poor choice of words”? Kelly was just speaking her mind and in her mind Latinos are only good for cleaning toilets. She made a big deal over Giuliana’s remarks on Fashion Police when she was just reciting lines written by others and refused to accept her apology. This is Karma Kelly!

38. lisa turner says:

She had this prepared before she came out on the view to say thinking it would be funny and she would be adored. That is how she feels and she said it so pragmatically. She was awful to Mrs. Rancic and now she needs to see how it feels to her.

39. Jay says:

Her comment was taken out of context. No harm-no foul!

40. She’s offended every one on each coast. I’d say she’s done.

41. Michael says:

She was trying to be funny like when someone tells a Mexican or Black joke but no one laughed or thought it was funny so she tried to take it back and act like she didn’t mean it that way,I don’t know any other way there is but that’s but what she did,by the way 3 white people are screwing in a, oh wait I didn’t mean it that way.

42. michaelg103 says:

She was just trying to be funny,you know when someone tells a Mexican or Black joke,but it backfired on her because no one laughed.Look I understand people make jokes all the time about other races,even my friends do,and I laugh along with them(by the way I’m Mexican) but the real truth is that when I’m laughing with them,my feeling are also hurt,and I’m not laughing inside,I just don’t want them to know I was offended by their joke.Anyways,I don’t tell racial jokes because I know how it really feels to the person of the the race your telling the joke about.

43. imelda ibarra says:

I believe she meant what she said. she comes from a country that still has a class system so her thinking that way is natural for her.

• Michael says:

Kelly grew up in a privileged household with maids and servants, drivers and roadies. She grew up as a bigot only because that was the world she was born into. So she meant it and probably still does not clean her toilet,,,,,,

44. Michael says:

Isn’t Karma a bitch. Now apologize to Giuliana Rancic .

45. david raye says:

Kelly and all those who weren’t offended are obviously not “Mexican” or of a minority.
    She’s a total hypocrite in my book

46. The Latina says:

That’s why I like to employ white trailer trash to clean MY toilets. Brings it full circle.

47. Helen says:

Let’s show her the same amount of understanding and tolerance she showed Guiliana.

48. Pam says:

What goes around comes around Kelly. You happily attacked Guliana Rancik whose comments were in no way racist. As we all know, she was talking about the hippie culture. Anyway I hope you are enjoying your current fame. Controversy is the only way you will get any attention.

49. Michelle says:

She is disgusting to say what she said about Latino’s Kelly please keep your mouth shut when u got nothing nice to say. You are racist

50. CARLOS ANTONINI says:

thats exactly how she feels but don’t want to lose her job since she has no talent and can’t do anything else