Exclusive
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Season 3

Brooklyn Nine-Nine's Cheeky Season 3 Poster Insists Size Does Matter

Bigger isn’t always better — except where the NYPD is concerned.

That’s the message at the center of Brooklyn Nine-Nine‘s appropriately juvenile Season 3 ad campaign, which shows Andy Samberg’s Det. Peralta looking on in amusement as his fellow 99th Precincters channel their inner Bruce Lee.

Cut to the the double entendre-soaked tagline, “Our unit is Bigger than your unit.”

RELATED Exclusive: The Good Wife‘s Archie Panjabi Collars Brooklyn Nine-Nine Guest Stint

Curiously, the poster still considers Andre Braugher’s Holt — who was reassigned to the PR department in the finale — a member of said unit. Exec producer Mike Schur, meanwhile, recently confirmed that viewers will learn the identity of Holt’s successor in the Season 3 premiere on Sept. 27.

“Everyone is going to be really happy with who the new captain is,” he promised. “And the way that the [episode] is conceived, that is far from the final surprise. It takes a lot of fun story twists and turns, in very rapid succession, once the new captain is announced. It’s going to be a really funny and good episode.”

Brooklyn Nine-Nine Season 3

1. Joey Padron says:

Poster for new season looks good. Excited to see season 3 this September!

2. roki says:

this underrated gem, i hope this show get all the accolades that they deserve

• Rena Moretti says:

It’s highly over-rated in the media.

It’s a flop and frankly, it’s so unfunny and poorly-made, it deserves to flop.

• Bob says:

That’s just like your opinion, man.

• Nicole says:

I wholeheartedly disagree! This show is awesome and really funny!

• Rena Moretti says:

Totally all right to disagree. :)

That said, the ratings show fewer and fewer people are watching. It’s not because they think it’s funny…

• Jg says:

Umm season 2 was up in the ratings vs season 1. Check your facts lady!

• WonderWaage says:

Ahh.. The ratings thing. The highest rated show on television is The Big Bang Theory, which is an unfunny show, made for mouthbreathers.

• John NYC says:

Ah, the money thing: made to pay the bills.

• wjm980 says:

Don’t feed the trolls.

• Rena Moretti says:

@Jg: I checked (again!) and even not counting the post-Superbowl slot they’re down. The Premiere was down, the Finale was down and they reaches a series low this season.

@WonderWaage: How wonderfully elitist of you… I’ll remind you that TV shows are meant to appeal to as many people as possible. When you don’t, you’ve failed.

• nhogan47 says:

This lady just hates FOX and everything they do. She’s the kind of person that thinks CBS comedies are funny.

• WonderWaage says:

Right on. Some of the best comedy shows ever made, has been getting low ratings, and early cancellations. America does not like clever, it likes Chuck Lorre’s fart joke, and sexual innuendo fests

• THIS.
            Probably it’s because I am not American, but every time I see a Chuck Lorre’s show (BBT, Two and Half man, Mike & Molly) I have to change channel: it’s always the same joke mixed to (the same) sexual jokes. There is a very few cleaverness in the jokes and in the series (not to mention originality…)

On the other hand, shows like Community, HIMYM, Scrubs and (in a lesser way) Brooklyn Nine-Nine bring something that comical tv lacks: intelligent humor and heartfelt moments (truly heartfelt moments…)

• Rena Moretti says:

@Simone: BBT has plenty of heartfelt moments. That’s one of the reasons it is so successful (that and it’s very funny). I would also say it’s plenty smart and manages to make science funny.

• Joe says:

B99 is by no means clever. It’s the most stupid, dumb and idiotic “comedy” I have seen in a long time. The “jokes” are predictable and the ensemble cast are unbearable and lack chemistry

Plus, there’s dozens of sexual innuendo jokes in B99.

• Jess says:

Hey, that’s cool that you don’t like it, everyone has their own taste. However I think it’s a bit of a stretch to be calling this show a “flop” and “unfunny and poorly-made”. It’s done pretty well for itself, lots of people like it, I’m sure a lot of work is put into making this show (like many others) and to be honest humour is subjective. So that’s completely alright if you think it’s “so unfunny” because there is still a lot of people who think the opposite. :)

• Rena Moretti says:

Thanks Jess. I appreciate your smart response. :)

I don’t think it did “well” because it has clearly failed in the ratings in spite of repeated launches and re-launches.

For internal political reasons, FOX keeps making more of it and keeps hyping it in the media so it is “successful” on that level, but that’s not what I’d call success.

I do find it extremely poorly-made (like all the shows where the director shakes the camera around instead of direct) and well, it’s not making me laugh when I chance on it, but I’m sure they’re glad you like it more than I do.

3. AddieM says:

Loving this!

4. Mr. Tran K says:

No Emmy love for the series and Andy Samberg but great to see Andre Braugher getting the Emmy love again.

5. Erin B says:

This show has a great supporting cast. Very underrated.

6. Mary says:

There’s a reason this show got a full season pick up in January while others had to wait until late April/early May. In my opinion, this is the best sitcom to happen in a long time. Glad that I have this show now that Parks is over.

• Rena Moretti says:

There is!

The reason is “internal politics.

The producers of Brooklyn 9-9- have a lot of pull at FOX (ie. they have buddies making decisions).

In the absence of hits (well FOX had one hit but it still needed to renew a bunch of shows to keep pretending all is well…) the connected get renewed by Walden and Newman…

7. John NYC says:

Holt has to remain an integral part of the story, he just MUST.

8. John Davis says:

I love this show <3

9. killmotion says:

I love it! But man waiting until the premiere to find out who the captain is, while frustrating, is also genius. We all wanna know and I trust him when he says we’ll love it. At least we’ll find out together.

10. robandco says:

The show is really good overall but the episodes are so uneven in quality. The cast has good chemistry, especially Santiago and Peralta, and the acting is good but some characters are just poorly written. Like Terry and Boyle.