Downton Abbey Season 6 Premiere Date

PBS Announces Premiere Date for Downton Abbey's Final Season

The farewell to Downton Abbey — stateside, at least — begins early next year.

The sixth and final season of the series will premiere Jan. 3 on PBS, it was announced Saturday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills.

In March, executive producer Gareth Neame issued the following statement about the decision to shutter Downton.

Millions of people around the world have followed the journey of the Crawley family and those who serve them for the last five years. Inevitably there comes a time when all shows should end and Downton is no exception. We wanted to close the doors of Downton Abbey when it felt right and natural for the storylines to come together and when the show was still being enjoyed so much by its fans. We can promise a final season full of all the usual drama and intrigue, but with the added excitement of discovering how and where they all end up…

1. EJ says:

This is infuriating. The last ever episode will air in the UK on Christmas Day and we have to wait until Jan 3rd for the FIRST episode. Awful, awful.

• ABG. says:

Torrent is your friend.

• MsDaisy says:

That’s how it is every season.

• EJ says:

I know that. And it’s always pissed me off. After the first season it should have been day and date with the UK.

And I don’t think torrents should ever be an alternative.

• rowan77 says:

It’s complicated to work that out. ITV has certain rights as a broadcaster and they don’t want the show to be broadcast at the same time on PBS. It’s not like Doctor Who. The BBC owns BBC America.

• Gail says:

I read that it was PBS that decided to air the show in January so that Downton wouldn’t compete with all the returning and new shows on the other networks. PBS has been very successful with this strategy even though spoilers are available on the internet after the BBC broadcasts and some people in the States have figured out how to watch the BBC broadcasts. I believe they said something like Downton works best for BBC in the Fall and PBS in Winter.

• rowan77 says:

PBS can air the show anytime after ITV’s contract says they can. They can likely start running it in November if they want to.

• mikem says:

But Downton Abbey is NOT a BBC show it’s on ITV – if you watch in the UK it has ads. If you watch it on PBS in North America – no ads

• rowan77 says:

Mikem, you seemed to have missed the forest for the trees.

• Larc says:

Doesn’t bother me. Episodes are easily available immediately after they air in the UK. PBS has their schedule and I have mine. I’ll be watching it all for a 2nd time when it airs starting in January.

2. pirate says:

Do we know the UK premiere date?

3. Belle says:

Ugh, dreading the end!!! Just wish UK TV was more like the states, they do 20 or so episodes a year and some shows last as long as 10 seasons. I know British people hate to be tied down to long TV commitments, it’s just sad :(

4. abz says:

When is the UK premiere date?
    I finally got a chance to watch the show. I got through all the seasons a few months ago. It’s so sad that it’s already ending when I’ve just discovered it. Great show.

5. Lizo says:

Yay!! I’m super excited. Downton is one of my favourite shows and I’ll be sad to see it go, but glad they’re ending by their own volition. Maybe we’ll get a Christmas special in a few years

6. Judy says:

I think a good writing staff could pull together another season of this wonderful show. Will miss it soooo much.

7. Carmen says:

What a shame! This is a real wholesome series with no bad language, nudity, etc., and it’ll be it’s finally season? I can name at least 10 series and reality series that shouldn’t be on TV.

8. Bill says:

I think it’s an absolute shame that these shows have to come to an end and we live that fantasy for so long we want to continue as long as possible good luck to the cast the show and hope you make more

9. curtlyon19 says:

how many times is the same thing going to be ‘announced’ ????

10. Gail says:

It certainly takes a long time to film this series. They started in January and finish on August 15. That is between 7 and 7 1/2 month to film 9 episodes.

11. Vi says:

They show in the US in January not September because of the US Football season. They play game at night so ratings will not be high. All about the very viewership. That Is why we have to wait. That Is why the Dvd is available at Christmas. I ordered the dvd of the 3 seasons fromUK before they showed it on PBS.

12. dp says: