Cancelled Too Soon: Pushing Daisies, Constantine, Forever & 17 More Shows TVLine Readers Will Always Miss

Last week, the TVLine staff opened up its collective heart, revealing the 30 TV cancellations from which it might never recover — but one list can only hold so many shows.

So we reached out to you, the readers, for more suggestions, and you made your voices heard. (Click here to see your picks!)

From recent cancellations, like Forever and Almost Human, to slightly older axes, like Pushing Daisies and Tru Calling, we’re now paying homage to 20 of the small-screen losses you will never accept.

Browse our gallery of your suggestions below, then drop a comment: Which of these cancellations still hurts the most?

1. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

For me it will always be Studio 60. God I love that show and cast was was amazing.

2. DaniB says:

Can’t believe Bunheads isn’t on this list!

3. Nick says:

Some of these are legitimate, but mostly I wish people would stop whining about Forever and Constantine. Both were mediocre at best. Constantine at least showed great improvement through its first season.

• Maria says:

Expressing an opinion, simply and factually, is not the same as whining.

• Maryann says:

The quality of these shows is your opinion, not fact. Sounds to me like you are the one whining.

• Lizo says:

Actually no, they weren’t mediocre. And even if they were, so what? Something doesn’t have to be The Great American Novel for it to connect with people, to make people love it and want to engage with it more. And I’ll never stop “whining” about it.

• prish says:

Forever was an excellent family drama, with heart, good acting and writing.

• AMG says:

Actually, fans of both series are not whining. Both are just disappointed in the cancellation of the two series.

What makes Forever’s cancellation hurt is that ratings were not the sole issue in ABC’s decision to cancel the series. Several other series did as well or worse than Forever in both the Live+Same-Day and the Live+7-Day ratings, yet they were renewed. The issue was apparently Forever was produced by Warner Brothers and not ABC Studios. Several TV critics pointed this out after Upfronts. If ratings were the case, then a couple of those other series would have been cancelled in addition to, or instead of, Forever. That is why you have one very passionate fan base still attempting to save the series from permanent cancellation. (Hey, Longmire actually took about four months to be saved by Netflix, so that has given Forever fans hope.)

As for Constantine, I think that I have read reports that it may continue in the CW’s Arrow universe, so there is hope for fans of that series.

• nhogan47 says:

Yeah, I just think that energy could be devoted to saving better shows.

• Einat B says:

Forever was nothing like Constantine. For comparison – during 12 hours of trans atlantic flight I was bored out of my mind & I still couln’t bring myself to watch the next 3 eps of Constantine that I had saved on my mobile device. With Forever, every week- I wanted more. This is YOUR OPINION ALONE.

• Abby says:

In YOUR OPINION! Now, I know this comes as a shock, but your opinion is NOT FACT.

• eddie willers says:

You’re that judge on The Good Wife….er…. in my opinion.

• Nick says:

Yeah, I kind of assumed everyone knew that this was my opinion. It’s obvious to me that the quality of a television show is subject to individual taste. So I guess the people repeatedly telling me “THIS IS YOUR OPINION” didn’t realize that I already knew that. Forgive my omission of “IMO”, but I thought it was implied. I’m glad that all of you like and care about TV shows, I’m just really really sick of hearing about the cancellation of certain shows when it’s pretty obvious to me why they were cancelled.

I also find it extremely ironic that nobody who says Forever and Constantine were great with “great acting and great writing” are being reminded that it’s their opinion. One that I happen to not share.

I also wanted to say that I watched Forever for 14 episodes. It had some interesting characters, and some pretty good acting. It didn’t use its supporting cast well. The plot dragged out. I realize that 22 episode seasons are hard, but they have to be better at holding attention. I’m assuming that the shows being referred to that were renewed over Forever are a reference to Galavant (which I loved) but that comparison really cannot be made. Number of episodes, timeslot, and month of airing all affect outcomes like that, and those two shows cannot really be compared.

I also watched every episode of Constantine, and thought it showed immense improvement over the time it aired. I probably would’ve watched a second season. The ensemble worked well, and Matt Ryan was brilliant as Constantine. Overall, the story didn’t mesh well. The market is flooded with genre TV right now, and as a fan of Supernatural, I couldn’t get into it. It just felt choppy and out of place.

When I’m not loving a show, I can look at things objectively.It’s not like I hated them, I’m just really tired of “SAVE FOREVER OMG” every time I look in a comment section. Then of course, when I don’t share the OPINION that Forever was the best show ever, I’m reminded that it’s my opinion. Well, of course it is. I just wanted everyone to know that my opinion is an educated one. Here’s hoping you all find something else to watch. There’s plenty out there, and most of it is better than Forever, IN MY OPINION.

• Lily says:

I think your choice of the word “whining” is what upset commenters. What show people enjoy watching is what they enjoy watching–and what they miss when cancelled–regardless of your opinion of the show’s merit. Why in the world does it matter to you what other people list as their favorites? Problem with the world today: everyone must agree with me!
          I enjoyed Forever and will miss it and will not apologize to you for MY OPINION. I agree that it wasn’t perfect but I found it entertaining and loved the cast. If you had watched past the 14 episodes, you would have found that they did make better use of the supporting cast and the later episodes moved more quickly. Maybe it was finding their pace or the need to wrap up the season/series, but it did improve. And there was potential for many more stories to tell.
          I didn’t watch Constantine so I cannot comment on it. And I would not criticize any other commenter’s choice(s) for shows on this list. That is why you were reminded several times that it’s only your opinion : )

• nhogan47 says:

I don’t care if people agree with me, but they sure as heck care that I don’t agree with them. And I’m sorry if my choice of words was upsetting, but I truly could not think of a more polite word than “whining”. All I really mean is, I love lots of shows that are cancelled, but after just one season (which in my opinion was mediocre) it just sounds like whining. Shows don’t often get picked up by other platforms for a second season. It’s usually a third, fourth, etc. So again I’m sorry for my choice of words but it sounds like whining to me.

4. Sally says:

For me…………..it is the wonderful “Forever”, and the unforgivable way “The Glades” was cut short.

5. Annie says:

I’ll be mad about Pushing Daisies when I’m in the grave

• Lauren says:

Such a great show! Why wasn’t everyone watching it? Freakin’ Medium and Ghost Whispered lasted forever, this show was so much cooler!

• KayCeeCee says:

Pushing Daisies lost its way in the 2nd Season.

• mike says:

According to Kristin Chenoweth, Pushing Daisies was cancelled because of production costs. Yes, there was the pie shop. But each week there were several unique sets that filled the screen. To me there was a Wes Anderson feel to them. Really terrific production values. And terrific acting from Lee Pace, Anna Friel, Swoosie Kurtz, Chi McBride (I think the best of them all), etc. I love the voice over announcer as well. Plus Barry Levinson was involved. And Brian Fuller has a really unique view of how TV can be made. I will miss it.

6. Katie T says:

Completely agree on Pushing Daisies and Life Unexpected

7. Ashbash says:

I was so sad when GCB was cancelled. It was such a great show and it was never given a chance. That show had a lot of potential

8. Hipper says:

‘Jack and Bobby’…. good call. It was a nice little reunion on ‘Mad Men’ when Jessica Pare and Matt Long join John Slattery during the second half of the series.

• Will says:

I still lament the loss of Jack & Bobby! At best we might have gotten one additional season on The WB, as I don’t think it would have survived the transition to The CW. Still, a great season nonetheless.

Also, even though we got 4 seasons, can we add Everwood to this list?

9. Eliza says:

Pushing Daisies!!!! I will forever mourn that show.
    I really liked Enlisted and losing The Glades was a tough one. It was a great summer show.

10. Laura Mello says:

I’ll miss Constantine and Forever, because they were great shows, with excelent actors!

11. BetsyBoo says:

seeing Enlisted broke my heart all over again.

12. Drew says:

I forgot to mention The Good Guys before. Awesome show.
    Again, VR.5 and Freakylinks get no love.

13. Pao says:

Gurl, Ugly Betty! No question! I miss my crazy Amanda+Marc moments!

14. Spartacus says:

GANG RELATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

15. Gerald says:

Wow. Good List.
    A lot of ones I thought were gone too soon.
    Great writing. Great Characters. Such a shame.

Jack and Bobby
    Pushing Daisies
    Enlisted
    Reaper
    Secret Circle
    GCB
    Don’t Trust the B
    Forever
    Eli Stone
    Ringer

16. SusieQ says:

Yes! Very happy Almost Human made the list. I think I’ll always be heartbroken over that show ❤️

17. Laura says:

I agree with many on both list, but in shocked that The Crazy Ones didn’t make the list! Phenomenal show that ended way too soon!

18. Doug says:

How about Hidden Hills from 2002? I can’t believe that with all the streaming content available, no one has put this up. All I can find is this tiny clip on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4jzpN3NhX0

19. Obligatory Firefly and Farscape references belong in there for me. Excellent shows cut way too short.

20. belle says:

Life unexpected. That broke my heart. The Glades, ringer, apt 23, tru calling.

21. belle says:

I forgot to add jack and bobby.

22. notthor1988 says:

POINT PLEASANT, guys!

• Cory says:

It always shocks me whenever I see someone remembers Point Pleasant. Flawed but fun, I miss it dearly.

I’d add 666 Park Avenue, Dark Angel, American Gothic and Freakylinks, oh and Miracles (with Skeet Ulrich) to this list as well and maybe remove 2 that are included, but yes I adore every show on this list.

23. Ali says:

So many on the list that I totally agree with, especially Go On, Pushing Daisies and Almost Human. Studio 60 is definitely one I will always miss as well.

• Sheila says:

I agree with all of your except Studio60 because I never watched that. I miss Go On the most!!! I would add Don’t Trust the B.

24. Andre says:

The Secret Circle

25. Ken says:

THE RICHES… FX cancelled that too soon

26. Jooshua says:

ELI STONE and REAPER! Yes those are what I would have chose. I’d also like to add STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIP… and even though it had a proper ending: DAY BREAK.

27. Danielle says:

Studio 60 and Happy Endings!!!!

28. Murica! says:

I’ve watched almost all these shows.

29. Nitemar says:

Forever, forever, forever!!! Will always miss you!.. Knew in my guts it wasn’t going to get picked again, but blame the writers and TPTB for not giving us closure at least. Bye!

30. beckmank says:

Pushing Daisies and Veronica Mars.

31. tae says:

Marry Me but no Happy Endings?!
    No Terminator?!

32. Erica says:

If your slideshows are going to have ads *literally* all over them, I’m just going to stop looking at them.

• Lizo says:

The entire mobile site is like a minefield for ads. They jump over the screen as I scroll, pop up randomly, and are just so huge in the actual content. I accidently click on them quite often. It’s very annoying. If I hadn’t been reading tvline since it started I might gravitate away. I can certainly see how all the aggressive and insidious ads could deter new people from returning

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

We shall investigate, thank you for the thoughtful note. –Mgmt.

• Imagecrafters says:

Thanks – I don’t know what is worse – the mobile version or the online version. I really look at ads sometimes, but not when they’re forced on me. It’s getting worse.

33. Kristen says:

Eli Stone and Pushing Daisies were so good!

34. MiaB says:

How is Happy Endings not on this list?

35. Frank says:

Dallas!

36. craig says:

Pushing Daisies
    GCB
    Don’t Trust the B
    and I still have a soft spot in my heart for Christela

37. Sharon says:

I completely agree with Forever and The Glades. Gosh darn it please get somebody to bring them back. Plus where’s Firefly.

38. Victor says:

Wonderfalls
    Dead Like Me

39. Allison says:

There were a lot on that list I didn’t watch so I won’t comment on those. I will say I don’t know that I think Marry Me really deserves a spot. It was ok but I can’t say I was all that disappointed when it was canceled.

The Glades was the most upsetting from this list, especially because of how it ended.

I would also add Suburgatory, Studio 60, Franklin & Bash, and Happy Endings off the top of my head, there are probably others :)

40. chattykat11 says:

Loved Go On..still upset that it’s gone.

41. HAP says:

Ray Wise’s portrayal of the devil in Reaper was classic.

42. Cherbear says:

FOREVER left too soon! It’s a Long Story! Cliffhanger needs to be resolved. Does he tell Jo???

43. Judi says:

I’m still heartbroken Forever has been cancelled. Awesome show with an outstanding cast.

44. Lisa says:

NIKITA, ROSWELL, STALKER

45. Debragene says:

Forever and Smash

46. Dawn says:

I so agree that Forever was cancelled way too soon. I’m still hoping for a season 2. #ForeverWarrior.

47. PFitzDC says:

Totally agree with 25% of these (in grief order): Pushing Daisies, Eli Stone, GCB, Forever and Flash Forward.

48. FOREVER not being renewed definitely hurts the most. Forever is the BEST show ever! It needs to be picked up by a perceptive network who would enjoy a passionate fan base AND who loves making people happy by putting first rate writing and superb acting on television. Ioan, Judd, Donnie, Alana, Joel and Lorraine are brilliant, endearing and amazing actors! #SaveForever #ForeverWarriors

49. SammiD says:

Jack & Bobby!! I can’t tell you how excited I was to see that on the list, because I feel like it always gets overlooked. Jack & Bobby is number one on my cancelled too soon list. It’s been like 10 years or more since it was cancelled, and I still watch the whole series at least once a year. It was such a great show, and had so much potential, it’s a shame it only had one season.