Exorcism Live TV

Exorcism: Live! Is Coming to Your TV

Who ordered the green pea soup…?

Destination America — aka the network “dedicated to all-American entertainment” — will host the first live televised exorcism in U.S. history, aptly titled Exorcism: Live!, on Friday, Oct. 30 at 9/8c, just in time for Halloween, it was announced Thursday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills.

The live event will revisit the story and the St. Louis house that inspired the iconic 1973 movie The Exorcist. The exorcism will in fact take place at the original Exorcist House, where the titular dispatching of demons was performed on Roland Doe in 1949.

“No one has ever attempted to rid the lurking spirits and demons that inhabit this home… until now,” the network’s release reads, my dramatic ellipse and italics added for effect. (Add in an ominous thunderclap, if you like.)

Exorcism: Live! will feature the cast of Destination America’s Ghost Asylum, the Tennessee Wraith Chasers, as well as world-renowned psychic medium Chip Coffey (but he already knew that).

1. Daya says:

I almost expected you to say it would be on Fox, for old time’s sake. :D

2. wrstlgirl says:

This movie still to this day gives me the ebejeebies.

3. John Davis says:

“Exorcism: Live!”

LMFAO

4. Drew says:

People play with things that they don’t understand. They turn these things into games and entertainment, like Ouija boards. It’s playing with fire. Many will say that you don’t believe that any of it is real, so it doesn’t matter either way. It’s all stupid. Everyone who allows for the possibility of it being real is just stupid. If that’s the case, nothing about this show or this article pertains to you anyway. So why would you comment at all?

• Angela says:

*Looks at the comments thus far*
      Jumping the gun a little with your defensiveness there, aren’t you?
      Also, people can mock the idea of exorcisms being real and yet still be interested in seeing, and discussing, how a show like this handles the concept. They can talk about how easy it would be to make these events seem real or how believable these sorts of shows tend to be.

• Drew says:

Not jumping the gun. I’ve been talking to people on the internet for a couple of decades now. I pretty much know what the response will be whenever a topic like this comes up, so sometimes it is easier to cut the legs out from under the trolls before they get there.
        All of these shows are faked. Everything on TV is fake. Even the news is fake. But that doesn’t make it wise to play around.

• ThatBob says:

Expressing the well founded viewpoint that exorcism is nonsense is not trolling but expressing an opinion that you, oh self appointed censor of the web, have no standing to try and shut down just because you disagree. Commenting on a television message board that programming like this is another sign of the vacuity of TV and many TV viewers is certainly on topic. Some people actually think television channels should aspire to better programming than this kind of bunk that, in my opinion, contributes to the continued dumbing down of America. And we have every right to say so.

• Drew says:

Why so defensive? I said that if people don’t believe in this stuff, there isn’t much for them to care about here anyway, so calling religious people stupid would be pointless. I never said that people weren’t entitled to other opinions.

• Angela says:

First off, expressing disbelief over exorcism or religion, even going so far as to mock it, does not automatically make somebody a “troll”. Just as non-religious people may not know what one’s reasons are for being religious, you don’t know what people’s reasons for taking issue with certain religious beliefs are. They may have very valid reasons for their attitudes, and in their defense, some religious people haven’t exactly made a good name for themselves or their faith.
          Second, you can make that attempt all you want, but if people really want to make jokes and be dismissive, they’re going to no matter what you say. And they’re entitled to say their piece as much as you are.
          Third, if you’re going to sit there and imply people who voice those sorts of views are “trolls”, or automatically make assumptions about people on the internet in general based on the particular interactions you’ve had, then you’re not exactly doing much to help change the attitudes of the very people whose reactions you’re protesting. There are plenty of people who aren’t religious and don’t buy into exorcism stuff and whatnot who can still manage to discuss the idea in a mature, rational fashion with the more religious out there.

• Drew says:

Actually, people who decide to mock religion because they don’t believe in it are trolls. I never said that anyone wasn’t entitled to their opinion.

5. Rachel says:

This sounds like a fantastic idea (I need an eye rolling emoji)

6. c-mo says:

I loved the dramatic ellipses and italics, they added focal points for my shaking head as I read.

7. Big Mike says:

*exasperated sigh*

8. Pazuzu says:

I of course will be there with bells on! ;)

9. Ellinas1978 says:

“Destination America”? Is that a real channel?

10. HAP says:

What is “all American” about an exorcism? These people are just crazy.

11. Card_D says:

Three months–surely we can get an appropriate drinking game together before the broadcast?

12. ann says:

So, they found someone who needs an exorcism? And who would agree to wait three months to have it done? Hmmmm.

13. Daina Gurien says:

I, myself, have participated i several exorcisms. I habe seen what they’re capable of not only ro tje possessed, bit those around as well. As interesting as it seems you most definitely need someone there with, knowledge, and wisdom to calm them down. Tjey cam sense God, and let me tell you…be prepares because they knownwhen you’re on your way.

14. Maggie says:

I”m catholic and I”m praying for these gentlemen. I’m watching closely and I will report if I see anything out of the natural Maggie from Pittsburgh Ps